• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch New Character Orisa Coming 3/21

I was hoping for today, but next week is cool too. I'm probably gonna leave comp on PS4 until the patch though, because every one of my placement games had a Reinhardt and Mercy babysitting a Bastion on both teams.

MKIL65

Thanks Jeff, for ruining quickplay YET again, for the next couple months...

/s I only play competitive

Imagine a world where all game developers were able to give us new characters for free. That'd be awesome.

I wonder how much an OW character cost to make. LabZero needed to get kickstarted 250k to make Squiggly for Skullgirls and that was on the low end, and from what was said. A mainstream fighting with 3d models cost many times more than her, even though they handrew all her frames (Skullgirl characters have more frames of animation than any other 2d fighting game sprite iirc). A character for OW probably cost hundreds of thousands since they seem to put quite the polish in them.

Ryuuga

Banned
Not feeling her from what I've played in PTR. Feels like a mix of moves that work better with other characters.

I wonder how much an OW character cost to make. LabZero needed to get kickstarted 250k to make Squiggly for Skullgirls and that was on the low end, and from what was said. A mainstream fighting with 3d models cost many times more than her, even though they handrew all her frames (Skullgirl characters have more frames of animation than any other 2d fighting game sprite iirc). A character for OW probably cost hundreds of thousands since they seem to put quite the polish in them.
It's probably ridiculously expensive, but I imagine it's chump change when you factor in the amount of money Blizzard takes in from loot boxes, especially during events.

Zomba13

Huh, would've thought she would be out today. It's been 2 weeks on PTR hasn't it? Didn't Ana and Sombra jump into the main game after 2 weeks on PTR?

Huh, would've thought she would be out today. It's been 2 weeks on PTR hasn't it? Didn't Ana and Sombra jump into the main game after 2 weeks on PTR?

I think they specifically mentioned the other week she was gonna take some more time for fine tuning.

Ecto311

Looks cool but man I am tired as fuck of this "pushes the boundaries of what bla bla bla" - you people make the boundaries so how does it push that when it is a false thing. Pushing the boundaries would be a human in jeans and a shirt. Jeff really pushes the boundaries since he doesn't got shit for weapons and walks slow. Make that work esport players.

Plus these dopey videos show them rotating the character as if they are doing the work on it. Is that all CG artists do it just spin the character around over and over? What a lame video but the character looks like fun.

The beastcast guys said she was a tank character but she's a quad ped character. I am looking for some shit like this when I hear that.

image_3746.jpeg

Whoo Hoo! Blizzard dropping that counter-punch to Mass Effect on 3/21!

That being said, this will be the first OW character that I won't be trying on their release date.

ScaredHitless

Neo Member
I tried Orisa out for a few rounds on the PTR. At first she seems crazy OP (the shield that she puts out lasts longer than the cooldown), but she's pretty outmatched 1v1.

Here's to hoping that she's nice and balanced in Comp play.

hey man, I enjoy OW as much as most people. But when the choice is an entire new game that I've waited 5 years for vs "Not Doomfist", that everyone will rush to pick anyway. I'll choose the game offering me a new galaxy :p

Chances are there will be a weakly playlist that highlights Orisa's ablities, just like when Ana came out we got an Ana-Tanks only playlist.

_machine

Given that the average development cycle of a single LoL hero is around 9 months (per GDC17 talk, and that's not taking into account that's for a released hero, yet they usually work on multiple scrapped heroes too), I wouldn't be surprised if prices start at somewhere above 500K USD for all the costs associated with shipping a hero (and maintentance and post-production is an on-going cost on top of that). But realistically, I wouldn't surprised if all costs wouldn't be well over a million for each post-launch hero either. Hell, even those animated shorts are in the millions.

PSqueak

Banned
Imagine a world where all game developers were able to give us new characters for free. That'd be awesome.

Well to be fair what separates Blizzard from most other devs doing it is they don't release them behind an in game currency like other games with free new characters do (Like League of Legends or Battleborn), so it's more common than it appears.

Top Bottom