• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT11| Have Mercy

Paltheos

Oooof, after all that 'good games' stuff I was talking about before in my comp games, I had a string of awful games tonight. No one wanted to play support, tons of people insta-locking DPS and refusing to switch, awful frankensteinish composition with no synergy. Some of these guys are even good on their characters (going by their win rates), but they refuse to take in to mind even our own makeup or switch it up.

I know I've said this before, but one of the things I really want from the game is a second matching check in matchmaking by or after SR that matches you with people with dissimilar hero records. That avoids teams filled with 'DPS superheroes' who refuse to play anything but DPS and teams filled with Mercy OTPs who can't[/] play anything else. Players with longer play times on more popular roles just get longer queue times. And I know I can think of at least a few risks to this approach, but dammit this blender method is frustrating some days, man. Sometimes I want to play but competitive but don't want to support.

Talonz

It's Bastion night in Silver Comp tonight and my teams can't deal with him. FML

We take both points on Volskaya and they go cancer comp on defense(Torb/Symm/Bastion/Rein) and set up on the far upper right side. One of my teammates go Doomfist which means he's worthless because there is only one wall where they are set up at and he'll never be able to use it. We lose obviously!

Blues1990

Anyone want to help be beat Junkenstein's Revenge on Legendary? The random players are either doing something dumb, or it just falls apart before we face against the Summoner/Junkenstien.

Oooof, after all that 'good games' stuff I was talking about before in my comp games, I had a string of awful games tonight. No one wanted to play support, tons of people insta-locking DPS and refusing to switch, awful frankensteinish composition with no synergy. Some of these guys are even good on their characters (going by their win rates), but they refuse to take in to mind even our own makeup or switch it up.

I know I've said this before, but one of the things I really want from the game is a second matching check in matchmaking by or after SR that matches you with people with dissimilar hero records. That avoids teams filled with 'DPS superheroes' who refuse to play anything but DPS and teams filled with Mercy OTPs who can't[/] play anything else. Players with longer play times on more popular roles just get longer queue times. And I know I can think of at least a few risks to this approach, but dammit this blender method is frustrating some days, man. Sometimes I want to play but competitive but don't want to support.

I don't want to jinx it, but I've had Mercys with my Zen all day. I can't remember a day down here in Gold where I had a second healer even half the time. Usually it's "Oh, we have a healer, let's all go DPS!".

Tl;Dr: Today was a good day.

MCD

OMG I wanted to buy D.VA's Hoodie from Blizzard Gear Store but now it says out of stock

FFFFFFFFF

MG310

"Guys trust me if Widow isn't working I'll switch"

The Mercy he's grouped up with pretty much heals him exclusively the whole match. His Mercy friend also flew to him in the middle of Overtime and let the timer run down.

randome

Best you save your time and wait with your rank. Players are either throwing or have a Devil May Care attitude, what with Season 6 coming to a close.

I have noticed a lot of torb, widow, and hanzos now that you mention it. Oddly enough there was a three stack of those that I grouped with twice but they were very high ranked and we won both times. Most annoying is that the closer I get to diamond the more people there are who are clearly smurfs or are just deranked from masters and we get wrecked. Its kinda frustrating!

Blues1990

I have noticed a lot of torb, widow, and hanzos now that you mention it. Oddly enough there was a three stack of those that I grouped with twice but they were very high ranked and we won both times. Most annoying is that the closer I get to diamond the more people there are who are clearly smurfs or are just deranked from masters and we get wrecked. Its kinda frustrating!

All the more reason why I'm waiting until Season 7, as I had a bad streak of players either throwing, not communicating, or being dumb.

randome

All the more reason why I'm waiting until Season 7, as I had a bad streak of players either throwing, not communicating, or being dumb.

Ha. I can’t say I’m the greatest myself and I know I’m getting to my limits tbh so I’m sure a lot of it is just me being me. Another thing that I’ve noticed more of is these insane, almost uncounterable tracers. Holy hell!

Blues1990

Ha. I can’t say I’m the greatest myself and I know I’m getting to my limits tbh so I’m sure a lot of it is just me being me. Another thing that I’ve noticed more of is these insane, almost uncounterable tracers. Holy hell!

Yeah, the one bright spot for this season for me has been the Lucio VS. Tracer fights. So much fun, especially when they try to pick another fight against someone else.

Nepenthe

First match coming home. My team of me, Ana, D.Va, Sym, Bastion, and Pharah defended against a three-tank stack (Reinhardt, D.Va, with a rotating Orisa/Winston) with back-up Mercy, Soldier and Pharah who pushed us hard on Eichenwalde. They took the first point in about a minute, with an even longer hold on the bridge. It looked kinda bad, but we held out just long enough at the end to get off a hard fought win. And the match was nice enough to give me a Play of the Game from it too. The insane and competent matches just feel good man.

randome

Junkrat is OP. I’ve realized it’s almost like mercy—if your team doesn’t have a junkrat and theirs does they’ll win.

Had a game where a guy was calling me trash, but then I got gold damage and elims, got the PotG, and got the only card on our team with a bunch of upvotes. Felt pretty damn good.

They need to either buff Zen's movement or nerf his hitbox.

I think it would be cool if he could levitate off the ground slowly.

Blues1990

Had a game where a guy was calling me trash, but then I got gold damage and elims, got the PotG, and got the only card on our team with a bunch of upvotes. Felt pretty damn good.

And yet, he still continued on berating you for being "trash". Which is dumb, as so long as a player is pulling his/her weight, then it's all good. :/

Bloop potg emphasis encourages shit Lucios. Was just in a game where our Lucio was camping in the same corner all round (and again in the next) waiting for his stupid fucking double bloops. We lost. But he got his 10 seconds of 'look at me! look at me!' smugness. So he was happy at least.

randome

I refuse to play mercy anymore. I’m sick of it and people are expecting it. It’s starting to bother me. The problem is, sometimes if I don’t choose her no one will and we lose. But if I do, it just adds to my hours played as mercy and everyone will make me play mercy. Vicious cycle.

Blues1990

I refuse to play mercy anymore. I'm sick of it and people are expecting it. It's starting to bother me. The problem is, sometimes if I don't choose her no one will and we lose. But if I do, it just adds to my hours played as mercy and everyone will make me play mercy. Vicious cycle.

While it's important to prioritize putting what your team needs above your own personal desires, you sometimes have to be selfish in order to win. I mean, the game was already lost when your team decided to play with the comp they went with, failed to pull their weight, and overall followed the beat of their own brainwaves. At that point, if those players can't find the decency to switch and co-operate with the team, then why fill for them? You might as well take the opportunity to play something you've always wanted to improve on, or go with a hero you are more comfortable with.

It doesn't help that for the past 5-6 seasons of Competitive, it goes against the core mechanics of the game to stick with one or two heroes, yet competitive really does encourage maining one hero.

It's insane when you think about it!

MG310

Had a pretty bad screw up as Symmetra...planted an emergency teleporter right as the other team took the first Gibraltar point and it ended up counting as one for the 2nd point so it was right behind the door.

Managed to get another teleporter and we held them at about at around 1 meter to go for the win.

Went 8-11 tonight. Probably my worst night of the season. Might end up having to choose between 80's Zarya and Cthulu Zen as I only have about 4,000 coins and the lootboxes haven't been too generous. I've gotten some of last year's costumes and Pirate Ana so far.

Climbed about 250 sr tonight. Lost a game because of bots on my team refusing to walk forward. Then lost 50 sr for being afk (was my fault. I was going through some psm messages) feels bad man. Would be less than 100 from diamond but I guess I'll have to just climb 200 more tonight.
Also I was on a winstreak and won a game which gave me 8 sr. Has anyone else experienced this? I was owning with gold damage/elims Reinhardt and getting 20-30 sr in all my other games

Danj

FFS I'm down to 1686 now that it's only 7 days left :/ why does the last week of a season bring out all the throwers and griefers and assholes.

I should be in gold by now (have a season high of 1921) but instead because of shit teams and throwers and leavers I'm probably gonna drop back down to goddamn bronze.

antitrop

Zen's balance is the best of any Support right now, he's only a small buff away from being ridiculously OP. His fragility is the main thing keeping the fact he straight-up out-DPSs several of the Offense heroes in check. He was 150HP at launch, they've always intended him to be a glass cannon, they can only go so far with his mobility and survivability.

Just reduce the hitbox a little though, pleeeeaaaaase?
Stand farther back!

Zen's balance is the best of any Support right now, he's only a small buff away from being ridiculously OP. His fragility is the main thing keeping the fact he straight-up out-DPSs several of the Offense heroes in check. He was 150HP at launch, they've always intended him to be a glass cannon, they can only go so far with his mobility and survivability.
I don't think you are wrong, but I still wish he had one defensive tool. Becoming immaterial for 3 seconds would be interesting.

And yet, he still continued on berating you for being "trash". Which is dumb, as so long as a player is pulling his/her weight, then it's all good. :/
Wait, were you there? Lol

While it's important to prioritize putting what your team needs above your own personal desires, you sometimes have to be selfish in order to win. I mean, the game was already lost when your team decided to play with the comp they went with, failed to pull their weight, and overall followed the beat of their own brainwaves. At that point, if those players can't find the decency to switch and co-operate with the team, then why fill for them? You might as well take the opportunity to play something you've always wanted to improve on, or go with a hero you are more comfortable with.

It doesn't help that for the past 5-6 seasons of Competitive, it goes against the core mechanics of the game to stick with one or two heroes, yet competitive really does encourage maining one hero.

It's insane when you think about it!
I think people need to get over the "we need an X" thing unless you are in high level play. Not everyone can play every character, and playing a character you are bad with that the team needs is often worse than playing a character you are good with. I think it's reasonable for people to play one character in each role. But I can't play Ana well, for example. People used to get mad at me for picking Zenyatta over Ana when we needed heals, but it isn't reasonable to ask me to learn a character on the fly in comp.

Danj

I think people need to get over the "we need an X" thing unless you are in high level play. Not everyone can play every character, and playing a character you are bad with that the team needs is often worse than playing a character you are good with. I think it's reasonable for people to play one character in each role. But I can't play Ana well, for example. People used to get mad at me for picking Zenyatta over Ana when we needed heals, but it isn't reasonable to ask me to learn a character on the fly in comp.

Well yeah but every team needs a Mercy and the team that doesn't have one loses against the team that does.

R0ckman

Havent played in a while, decided to check things out before Odyssey and see how many costumes I could get. Good god, this Mercy is awful, you should never make a character that needs to stay dead 100% of the time.

I kill a Tracer who is far away from her team and there is stil enough time for the Mercy to rez her. But while it makes sense for Tracer to be miles from her team, this could have been anyone. This is essentially a teleporter on a cool down, the least they could do is have a seperate shorter timer window for rezes.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I'm crying over Runaway right now.

So close yet denied again.
Yeah, I'm sad now. I really wanted them to win.

Having said that, I think GC Busan deserved it. Runaway threw away too many ultimates with bad decisions. Like, when they were on, they were really on. But there were so many times in the later maps where I was like WHY ARE YOU ULTING THERE?

Gibraltar really should have been theirs if they didn't decide to blow multiple ults when 2-3 members of their team were dead.

And Anubis? Oh god, that was a disaster for them. They insisted on staying on Reaper when it clearly wasn't working. It didn't help that Kox doesn't seem great on Reaper or Sombra.

Earned a loot box this morning, it had a legendary in it! :D

*opens*

COINS. MOTHERFU- >:{

For those keeping score, that's four legendaries since the event began: one non-event skin, one last year's event skin, and two piles of coins. I don't understand why the loot system gives me coins when I've only gotten one event skin.

My total so far is three event skins, only one legendary, and all from last year.

His escape option is popping you in the head. Zen can win those fights, which is something that Lucio and Mercy struggle with. ... And Ana just sucks.

My definition of escape ability is something you can use against NuHog to get away after being hooked. Zen is one of the only characters who is simply dead, after Hog shoots you again as you try to wander away.

Mercy should rez with only 30% health. Ult and you get 100% health.

There fixed.

Edit:
It'd be interesting if one of the heroes (lets say Reaper) could negate Mercy revivals if he gets to the dead heroes first. Or maybe Mercy can't revive heroes who've been killed by Reaper. He is the representation of death after all :p

I refuse to play mercy anymore. I’m sick of it and people are expecting it. It’s starting to bother me. The problem is, sometimes if I don’t choose her no one will and we lose. But if I do, it just adds to my hours played as mercy and everyone will make me play mercy. Vicious cycle.

I don't play Mercy. Haven't since S2. It's not fun for me, and I stopped playing for a month or so when everyone decided I should play Mercy or Lucio or I was throwing. I just wanted to play Zen or a Tank.

Now I stick to Zen or a Tank (or a Lucio if our team comp demands it, which is rare these days).

You're right. But a robot murder boy can dream, can't he?

dralla

That's the shitty dilemma she puts you in. You don't necessary want to play her but if you have no Mercy on your team (and the other team does) you're going to lose.

Fucking hell Doomfist is shit tier.

Blizzard, why are you sooooo slooooow?

I'm curious how some of you would buff him.

Should the shields he generates reduce much slower or not at all? I feel his survivability isn't enough when fighting up close.

Should his fire rate or ammo be infinite or greatly expanded? When he's left without his powers I feel he's almost always a sitting duck.

Or perhaps his various cooldowns should be reevaluated so they can be juggled more effectively?

I'm sure there are some of you with strong, well formed views on this 👊

exYle

I'm curious how some of you would buff him.

Should the shields he generates reduce much slower or not at all? I feel his survivability isn't enough when fighting up close.

Should his fire rate or ammo be infinite or greatly expanded? When he's left without his powers I feel he's almost always a sitting duck.

Or perhaps his various cooldowns should be reevaluated so they can be juggled more effectively?

I'm sure there are some of you with strong, well formed views on this 👊

Give him his old hitbox back minus the verticality of it

antitrop

I refuse to play mercy anymore. I'm sick of it and people are expecting it. It's starting to bother me. The problem is, sometimes if I don't choose her no one will and we lose. But if I do, it just adds to my hours played as mercy and everyone will make me play mercy. Vicious cycle.

A team that doesn't have Mercy is a team that doesn't care about winning.

Mercy/Zen on everything except KOTH (where you run Mercy/Lucio) is where it's at right now.

blanchot

deleted this game a few weeks ago after failing to break diamond (only needed 11 sr) then the match maker gives me a ton of trollers and throwers. fell to 2800~. will start playing again when the next hero comes out but i must say i have been a lot happier lately.

Top Bottom