• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blues1990

BTW, for the D.Va changes on the PTR and concerns, Blizz finally responded:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20752559736?page=26#post-502

Edit:as expected, people are not liking that response

Edit 2:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20752559736?page=27#post-536

In what world is someone playing JR in comp that is also coordinated enough to go "I'm using my tire, D.va, follow it and it's going to go in this patter oh and healers keep the D.Va alive as she goes into enemy territory"

Good grief. This pretty much proved that Blizzard completly ignored all of our criticisms.

And how the hell do I protect a Phara? You can't exactly hover unless you want everyone thinking you're having a seizure.

_Legacy_

Had an enjoyable 1.5 hrs of quick play last night. My usual stack team haven't been online for a few days and I though to myself "ok, these randos seem sensible, let me try one comp game". Sound logic right? Nope, went into a game solo, turned out to be Volskaya.

On defence, team played ok but eventually lost both points.

On attack, we couldn't even get the first point. I was doing my job as Rein trying to rally the team, we eventually got 2 picks and I said to group up and I charged in, seeing as it was 6 v4. I eventually got taken out trying to cap and where was the rest of my team? Still under the arch trying to get more kills, if we just rushed in I'm sure we would have capped seeing as we had the advantage. I just don't understand the mentality of comp players sometimes, this team weren't even bad but they just didn't capitalise on the number advantages.

I don't know how people can solo queue, maybe because I'm just under platinum, is platinum/diamond any better?

Saying Winston needs a buff is basically admitting you have no idea what you're talking about.

Seriously.
Had an enjoyable 1.5 hrs of quick play last night. My usual stack team haven't been online for a few days and I though to myself "ok, these randos seem sensible, let me try one comp game". Sound logic right? Nope, went into a game solo, turned out to be Volskaya.

On defence, team played ok but eventually lost both points.

On attack, we couldn't even get the first point. I was doing my job as Rein trying to rally the team, we eventually got 2 picks and I said to group up and I charged in, seeing as it was 6 v4. I eventually got taken out trying to cap and where was the rest of my team? Still under the arch trying to get more kills, if we just rushed in I'm sure we would have capped seeing as we had the advantage. I just don't understand the mentality of comp players sometimes, this team weren't even bad but they just didn't capitalise on the number advantages.

I don't know how people can solo queue, maybe because I'm just under platinum, is platinum/diamond any better?
No it isn't, but don't get discouraged. A lot of people chase kills instead of the objective, and need a reminder to get on the point. Do you have mic? Some comms might help with that issue.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Can anyone explain me the thread title? :(

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Why would anyone ever pick Mei for Attack, on the hero selection screen shes listed under Defend?

Why do people pick Bastion or Torn on Attack...

If the situation calls for it, why not
If Attack Mei can pester and push away the Defense inch by inch, your making progress

Her wall can be a buffer for team to rush around it and seep in through without getting damaged
Slowing down enemies that overreach can make Defend teams think twice

Also launch Ultimate right spot, right time, turn tables

Blues1990

Do you guys think the few other heroes that have "fallen behind" as the game changes will get some much needed tweaks in the near future?

mei isolates tanks to make them easier to kill. doesnt surprise me to see her on attack sometimes when theres like 4 tanks and close range areas.

Good grief. This pretty much proved that Blizzard completly ignored all of our criticisms.

And how the hell do I protect a Phara? You can't exactly hover unless you want everyone thinking you're having a seizure.

Obviously talking about when Pharah is using her ult on the ground. It's so crazy the enemy will never expect it.

As someone mentioned earlier, these are the same folks that said "People don't know how to play Symmetra" before completely reworking her.

Paltheos

Topic title sucks. "World of Tanks" would have sufficed. "Sponsored by Gay Money" will get old in like a week tops. It sounded dumb from the get-go imo.

Why would anyone ever pick Mei for Attack, on the hero selection screen shes listed under Defend?

People mentioned 'heavy chokes' but to be specific, I've seen it used most on Hanamura A (and used it myself) to make a path to the hall on the right so the team can go up top and drop on the point. You just put up a wall covering the open space between the main entrance and that hallway, and your team can walk in totally unopposed (depending on the enemy team's lineup).

13randO

Can anyone explain me the thread title? :(

tumblr_oiibxl0gmX1usq77po1_1280.png

tumblr_oiibxl0gmX1usq77po2_1280.png

ISOM

Obviously talking about when Pharah is using her ult on the ground. It's so crazy the enemy will never expect it.

As someone mentioned earlier, these are the same folks that said "People don't know how to play Symmetra" before completely reworking her.

So true. This D.Va over and underbuffing seems another Sym situation. It feels like they should really looking at her abilities and what they want D.Va to be.

Jellie

With Caeser and we go Ana and Reinhardt. With a 4 stack who go widow, hanzo, dva and roadhog both rounds. We somehow managed to push it in overtime to the end while they never made the first point.
Such a weird game.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Got a game where Tracer drops a Pulse Bomb next to me and I manage to sleep her right after she drops it. We both die lol.

Got into another game where a girl was like "I'M A HOT GIRL WHO GETS OFF ON VOICE CHAT SO COME JOIN" Me and a few friends who were in the process of joining voice chat all go "yech" and drop out of voice.

Girl (who was actually a girl and was bragging about how that line works in the few seconds I was on voice) starts blaming and yelling at her team for being shit after we drop, and then someone else on the other team starts groveling to her because he's seen her before.

I play games with my wife (she was in that game too) and I'm completely against people giving girls shit in games because they're girls, but I wish people wouldn't act like that. Christ.

darklin0

Banned
With Caeser and we go Ana and Reinhardt. With a 4 stack who go widow, hanzo, dva and roadhog both rounds. We somehow managed to push it in overtime to the end while they never made the first point.
Such a weird game.

I was going to say that should of never worked but... I actually think that is viable.

The three tanks with Ana can prolong a fight and distract the enemy team long enough so that the Hanzo and Widow could sit untouched picking off anyone that was dumb enough to get exposed.

Your front line would be completely fine because Roadhog and D.Va have enough punch to make the enemy cautious. With the added risk of getting sniped for being exposed, going all in is super risky against your comp.

I am not gonna lie, unless the the Widow and Hanzo were complete idiots I don't think there was an easy way for their team to break through the defense.

Jellie

I was going to say that should of never worked but... I actually think that is viable.

The three tanks with Ana can prolong a fight and distract the enemy team long enough so that the Hanzo and Widow could sit untouched picking off anyone that was dumb enough to get exposed.

Your front line would be completely fine because Roadhog and D.Va have enough punch to make the enemy cautious. With the added risk of getting sniped for being exposed, going all in is super risky against your comp.

I am not gonna lie, unless the the Widow and Hanzo were complete idiots I don't think there was an easy way for their team to break through the defense.
The widow kept dying on the killfeed to various enemies. Saw Tracer, Winston and Soldier repeatibly kill them. We were struggling till one went Winston. Then next round they went widow hanzo.

darklin0

Banned
The widow kept dying on the killfeed to various enemies. Saw Tracer, Winston and Soldier repeatibly kill them. We were struggling till one went Winston.

Sounds like the ground team was pulling all the weight. Good job on keeping your team afloat.

Played a weird comp match last night. 4 of us solo queue, and a pair that were together in their own chat so they weren't communicating.

This wasn't a problem for the most part. We defended first on Gibralter, and there were a couple of times that it was clear we would have done better with better communication, but we still held them just after the very last turn before the final cap point. Not to bad. Chances are if we could get to the last checkopint, we could push it up the hill far enough to just walk it in.

So we go to attack.

Us Solos are running Rein, DVa, Pharah, and I'm playing Zen. The pair chooses Mei and Mercy.

Mei dies about 4 seconds into the match because she ran out the side door all by herself.

Mei dies about 12 seconds after spawn because she couldn't hear all of us saying not to go out the top door because their widow had that shit locked down.

Mei switched to Genji.

Genji dies about 10 seconds out the door to the enemy 76.

Genji switches to Winston. I'm assuming to take out the Widow.

Winston dies to the enemy 76.

Winston switches to Reaper. I'm not even sure at this point why...

Reaper decides to play reaper like you play a Junkrat. Only shooting from behind our Rein's shield. Enemy Rein charges ours, misses, and pins/kills the reaper.

Despite all this, we've somehow made it to the first checkpoint, and are having a bit of difficulty at the main choke of the second area. The widow is keeping us from moving in together because she is sniping on top of that ship.

I'm starting to mitigate team frustrations. We've all realized the switcher is a liability at this point, and people are getting pissed and turning toxic, and you guys all know the drill. I'm doing everything in my power to keep the team focused, and offering up strategies to work around/with whatever the random is picking. Thankfully the Mercy with him is decent.

Reaper switches to Roadhog. We get some momentum. He actually lands a few kills as Roadhog, and really helps the team. But apparently Roadhog isn't fun, because after we reach the last checkpoint, he runs back into the spawn room and switches to Sombra.

We start to stall out trying to push the Payload up the hill. The enemy 76 has an heal orb on him at all times, and we don't have anyone who can get up there safely without getting cut off and surrounded.

Sombra dies a couple times, but manages to get an Ult built up. As you probably imagine, we had no idea she was going to use it. So we turn towards her and try to kill whatever we can, but we were not in position and didn't get a single kill from it.

Sombra dies, switches to Hanzo.

I've turned "team captian" and keep offering up strategies and plans to try.

Hanzo ends up actually being useful with the wallhacks. Somehow, this gets us two picks and we finally have some Ults and momentum to make it work. We finish the match with 8 seconds left.

We all breath a sigh of relief and try to count up how many times this dude switched. We count at least 7, and that was only when we started paying attention on the attacking round. Who knows what he was doing for defense.

^Honestly, I think people who have switch-itis bother me more at this point than people who pick poorly and stick with it. In the latter case, you'll at least get ults to use and can reliably strategize around the character.

It bugs the hell out of me when I'm on a team and it's basically like playing Mystery Heroes where the entire rest of my team is switching characters every time they die so the enemy team can just build ult and wipe the floor with us over and over by spacing them out properly.

Jacqli

I still think 76 can take Dva rather easily, I mean yeah her screen can ruin his ult but within one reload and his rocket her mech is practically done for - even quicker if your teammates are helping out.

The post I enjoy most on that forum is the Winston one. So many people complaining about Dva when Winston constantly gets shit on and ignored.

I've played above average hours on competitive PS4 since S1 and I think I can count on 1 hand how many times I've seen anyone play him. Sad.
I do not think they should nerf Dva if they do not touch Soldier at the same time. That is my biggest complain from these changes.

Blues1990

On the PTR, is there anyway to unequip a voice line, emote, etc. without replacing it with another? Like, just having that slot blank?

accx

Is there any ETA when the season ends? Or any speculations at least?
I've had other stuff coming up during this season so i haven't been able to do the placements yet and my aim has turn to shit, so i'm currently spending time practicing.

Also, do any of you record your sessions? I'm currently just doing a bit of quick play but mostly "Ana aim training"; That is, playing a koth map against ana bots as mccree with headshots only on. What software are you using if recording? I need something light so i can go back and watch my sessions and get a sense of what i'm doing right/wrong. I recall sitting at ~30% accuracy before but i'm down to ~20% now.
Granted, i played more before.

Paltheos

^Honestly, I think people who have switch-itis bother me more at this point than people who pick poorly and stick with it. In the latter case, you'll at least get ults to use and can reliably strategize around the character.

It bugs the hell out of me when I'm on a team and it's basically like playing Mystery Heroes where the entire rest of my team is switching characters every time they die so the enemy team can just build ult and wipe the floor with us over and over by spacing them out properly.

I don't encounter switch-itiis often, and on the whole I'd prefer people switching than sticking with a character pointlessly. If the pick's not synergistic with the rest of the team, whether or not he has ult is often a losing gamble in my experience..

Kysen

Also, do any of you record your sessions? I'm currently just doing a bit of quick play but mostly "Ana aim training"; That is, playing a koth map against ana bots as mccree with headshots only on. What software are you using if recording? I need something light so i can go back and watch my sessions and get a sense of what i'm doing right/wrong. I recall sitting at ~30% accuracy before but i'm down to ~20% now.
If you have a recent Nvidia GPU just use shadowplay inside Geforce experience.

Is there any ETA when the season ends? Or any speculations at least?
I've had other stuff coming up during this season so i haven't been able to do the placements yet and my aim has turn to shit, so i'm currently spending time practicing.

Season started the week after Thanksgiving so probably around Feb 21st.

xaosslug

defence, support, offence, etc. - all mean nothing, really. Don't get too hung up on labels. Many of the "defence" characters are not even viable (except under certain conditions) on defence, and many peeps can make them work on attack so it's whatever.

I don't encounter switch-itiis often, and on the whole I'd prefer people switching than sticking with a character pointlessly. If the pick's not synergistic with the rest of the team, whether or not he has ult is often a losing gamble in my experience..

I don't mind people switching if the mindset is "they have a Winston, so I'm switching off Genji to Reaper." That's fine.

But people with switch-itis are the ones who say "I'm gonna play Hanzo. Shit I died as Hanzo to a Winston so I'm gonna be Tracer. Shit I died as Tracer to a Widowmaker so I'm gonna be Winston. Shit I died as Winston to a Reaper so I'm gonna be Reaper. Shit I died as Reaper to a Hanzo I'm gonna be Hanzo again."

Those people bug the shit out of me way more than instalock Hanzo/Genji mains at this point because ult economy is way more important now that the ult rates have been reduced.

Those people bug the shit out of me way more than instalock Hanzo/Genji mains at this point because ult economy is way more important now that the ult rates have been reduced.

Yeah, I had that happen last night and I had to speak up about it.

"Hey Reaper if you keep switching you'll have no ults for this round. Just pick what you're good at and we'll make it work!"

We ended up clutching that one out.

If I character switch, I wait until I have used my ult so that I can get the most out of my resource. The only exception is when the opposing team has a composition that demands a particular counter. For example, they have a Pharah, and we have no characters that are good at covering the air.

Two questions:
1) Is it just me, or is it better to queue solo in your competitive matches than it is to queue with a casual team? If you queue as a team, you face another team, and then you get steamrolled if they are organized and you're just 6 people who randomly played together a match ago and decided to play together again.

2) I noticed the game has a button that brings up an emote wheel, but clicking on the emotes doesn't do anything. How do I use it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom