• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch (PC/XB1/PS4) releasing by June 21st, "Origins Edition" [Up2: Not F2P]

Kade

I really hope it's F2P, not into buying multiplayer only stuff anytime soon.

The game is F2P and this is a starter pack. I just want to know what it comes with if it's going to cost $60. Probably most if not all heroes and a handful of skins. The HoTS retail starter pack is $19.99 and comes with 5 heroes, a skin and a mount.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
All right, I have to head out for a bit. If anything leaks within the next three hours I apologize for not updating.

Uhm why?

overwatch-tracer-fulltjs2r.jpg

At first I thought he was taking a selfie.

Loxley

Folks, don't jump the gun on too many assumptions just yet (at least as far as pricing is concerned). BlizzCon kicks off tomorrow and that's when we'll be getting a lot of answers and new information.

It will follow the HOTS model, hopefully no restriction on heroes though - really doubt it as that makes and breaks the chances of winning.

The game is F2P and this is a starter pack. I just want to know what it comes with if it's going to cost $60. Probably most if not all heroes and a handful of skins. The HoTS retail starter pack is $19.99 and comes with 5 heroes, a skin and a mount.
I really hope so, I wanna put a lot of time on this.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Still expecting this to be F2P and having to buy every hero, which would be awful.

I was expecting a lot of reactions from this.... GAF seems to be dead some times.

I'm placing my bets.... this game will be a game changer in the industry.

Something like Call of Duty 4 was to the old gen.

*grain of salt**** but some users on Reddit are calling their local gamestops, and are getting responses that say when you preorder, you get beta access and a poster. *grain of salt until confirmation******

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The "_______ Edition" naming scheme really implies this is just a retail presence for the game + bonus content.

I imagine it's the base game, plus enough premium outfits, skins, premium currency, etc to justify the price.

It'll still be F2P, I anticipate.

Probably. I imagine Blizzard will have a similar business model as HOTS with this game and this is basically just a download code for some kind of starter bundle.

Jawmuncher

*grain of salt**** but some users on Reddit are calling their local gamestops, and are getting responses that say when you preorder, you get beta access and a poster. *grain of salt until confirmation******

Could see this happening. If it's true i'll be there tomorrow.

Tenebrous

Still expecting this to be F2P and having to buy every hero, which would be awful.

Especially at Blizzard prices. £7.49 for a HotS hero... Can buy the entire SMITE roster for £20.

Cross Platform gaming. LETS GOOOO!! 3 different platforms but one big community

How about no? I don't wanna be stuck with some Xbox One chap playing Tracer with his gamepad.

F2P with the "buy it all" option is probably the best payment model you can do imo.

I highly, highly doubt this will constitute 'it all' for the game. Best case scenario is this package entitles you to all the content the game has at launch, and everything they do later is available to buy as usual.

Worst case is that this just gets you $40 (or however much the package costs) in premium currency.

Side note, I've seen retail copies of Team Fortress 2 in the Target bargain bin before. What would that now get you, if you were to download it & register it to Steam?

Tenebrous

Dota model is actually the best, let me rephrase.

The KI model is the best way to have a model for F2P that sells gameplay content.

What about SMITE? Can buy heroes individually, or every hero both released and to be released in the future for a one-off set price.

K.Sabot

What about SMITE? Can buy heroes individually, or every hero both released and to be released in the future for a one-off set price.

That covers the KI model mostly, yeah. I loved being able to buy everything for a fair price ala SMITE and Heroes of Newerth.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I like the idea of selling a bundle like this for F2P games. I think it'll go over well with console players.

Contents of the Origin Edition:

"Origins Edition Includes:
21 Heroes5 skins:Blackwatch Reyes (Reaper)
Strike-Commander Morrison (Soldier: 76)
Overgrown Bastion
Security Chief Pharah
Slipstream Tracer
Overwatch-themed content for several Blizzard Entertainment games:
Heroes of the Storm™ - Tracer Hero
World of Warcraft® - Baby Winston Pet
StarCraft® II Portraits
Hearthstone® Cardback
Diablo® III - Mercy Wings"

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/3rpc8d/just_a_little_look_into_the_origins_edition/

Tenebrous

That covers the KI model mostly, yeah. I loved being able to buy everything for a fair price ala SMITE and Heroes of Newerth.

It's definitely a great model. I understand no company can really do what Valve is doing right now, so I tend to count Dota 2 out of such discussions. Blizzard have shown with Heroes of the Storm that they've no interest in pricing themselves amongst the more generous, and I expect Overwatch to be the same.

『Inaba Resident』;184355756 said:
Contents of the Origin Edition:

"Origins Edition Includes:
21 Heroes5 skins:Blackwatch Reyes (Reaper)
Strike-Commander Morrison (Soldier: 76)
Overgrown Bastion
Security Chief Pharah
Slipstream Tracer
Overwatch-themed content for several Blizzard Entertainment games:
Heroes of the Storm™ - Tracer Hero
World of Warcraft® - Baby Winston Pet
StarCraft® II Portraits
Hearthstone® Cardback
Diablo® III - Mercy Wings"

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/3rpc8d/just_a_little_look_into_the_origins_edition/

Alright.

the best part ? She. Yes, crazy pose, but, no obvious ass nor boob shot, yet she looks convulted like most of comic book cover so they can show both ass and breast.

I like how she's not sexualised, for a cover girl.

It's very progressive that Blizzard was able to not over-sexualize their leading lady, but still manage to put her in a completely absurd 'cool video-game protagonist' pose.

Seriously her back must be killing her.

Free to play supported by cosmetic microtransactions. Because of the game being a team oriented first person shooter all characters will be unlocked for everyone. Origin edition will have closed beta access, in game currency, and some skins. This is all my guess.

Top Bottom