• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch - Review Thread

atom519

I played with them though. I'm not going to waste my time, have less fun, and perform worse becoming okay with 20 characters when I can have a ton of fun and perform extremely well becoming great as 1. Maybe one of the future characters can grab me, but what obligation do I have to use multiple characters when everyone is better off with me just playing one?

I like that you conveniently switched your argument for only using Soldier 76 because you liked him the best, to well I'm not good at anyone else and therefore would be a detriment to the team.

Either way, it's clear have no desire to maximize your team's effectiveness in a team based game. That's fine. However don't go scratching your head wondering why your team lost after hitting tab and seeing no healer or tank.

Siege.exe

I like that you conveniently switched your argument for only using Soldier 76 because you liked him the best, to well I'm not good at anyone else and therefore would be a detriment to the team.

Either way, it's clear have no desire to maximize your team's effectiveness in a team based game. That's fine. However don't go scratching your head wondering why your team lost after hitting tab and seeing no healer or tank.

I'm not switching arguments, both are true. Me liking Soldier the most just gives me even less of a reason to play other characters, me being bad with the other characters is just a counterpoint to "You're hurting your team by not playing different roles". In fact, I'm helping my team by not playing roles, because I'm maximizing the effectiveness I offer to the team. I don't know why I need to reiterate that I win more often than not when I play Soldier. Maybe you don't believe me, maybe you don't care. That doesn't change the fact that I am helping my team though, and I really don't see how it's fair to dump on me for enjoying the game and playing to the best of my ability. Don't worry though, I'm not worried about why my team lost after a match, I just look forward to the next one.

TaterTots

Banned
I usually don't care about metacritic and such, but if this game has less than a 90 then that is absurd. It is a fantastic MP game. Someone that loves SP campaigns will surely give this a lower score so it's kind of w/e, but I know it deserves better.

Great review.

Overwatch is a beautiful game. In dedicating itself to one strong, singular style of game rather than attempting to check too many boxes with heaps of modes and features, Blizzard has crafted a finely tuned and instantly playable production. It is a game of exceptional vision, a vision realized with utmost self-assurance. This game knows what it is, and doesn’t try to be anything else.

It’s a purity of concept matched by the recently released Doom, and its kind has been sorely missed in the games medium as of late.

And that’s Overwatch. A silly, cartoony, extraordinary multiplayer shooter that doesn’t want to be more or less than that.

Which is just bloody lovely.

Crema

I'm not switching arguments, both are true. Me liking Soldier the most just gives me even less of a reason to play other characters, me being bad with the other characters is just a counterpoint to "You're hurting your team by not playing different roles". In fact, I'm helping my team by not playing roles, because I'm maximizing the effectiveness I offer to the team. I don't know why I need to reiterate that I win more often than not when I play Soldier. Maybe you don't believe me, maybe you don't care. That doesn't change the fact that I am helping my team though, and I really don't see how it's fair to dump on me for enjoying the game and playing to the best of my ability. Don't worry though, I'm not worried about why my team lost after a match, I just look forward to the next one.

Just enjoy playing the game. People telling you how to play video games the "right" way have their own issues.

If I jumped into TF2 and DOTA too late and thought everyone's skill was vastly superior to mine, will I like this game?

That's my main concern. I tend to buy games, play online for a solid month, get busy with work, try to jump in and then everyone is just too good and it honestly just ruins the fun. A lot of people gave people shit about Battlefront but I really liked the casual pick up and play mentality it has

TheYanger

If I jumped into TF2 and DOTA too late and thought everyone's skill was vastly superior to mine, will I like this game?

That's my main concern. I tend to buy games, play online for a solid month, get busy with work, try to jump in and then everyone is just too good and it honestly just ruins the fun. A lot of people gave people shit about Battlefront but I really liked the casual pick up and play mentality it has

It's got matchmaking that should put you comfortably with your own skill level given enough games to establish an mmr

Some heroes have multiple weapons, some have alt fire, they all have at least 2 abilities and an ultimate, some have mobility skills, they all have varying health, many abilities have at least two types of use to them (reaper's shadow form is useful both as a speed boost and invulnerability).

Boiling it down to just the weapons is ridiculously reductive.

The TF2 class setup makes them far more versatile, though. The Engineer using stock weapons provides a teleporter for his team, dispenses health and ammo, builds a sentry for defense, and has two powerful, reliable weapons for combat.

In Overwatch, those abilities are split up between different heroes.

TheYanger

The TF2 class setup makes them far more versatile, though. The Engineer using stock weapons provides a teleporter for his team, dispenses health and ammo, builds a sentry for defense, and has two powerful, reliable weapons for combat.

In Overwatch, those abilities are split up between different heroes.

The engineer and the spy are the ONLY two TF2 characters with that much of a kit, so that's disingenuous.

For example, EVERY other character but those two has primary gun, secondary gun, melee. The first and third things on that list are exactly like EVERY overwatch character, some of them with alt fires on primary guns, and some with second weapons, then they all also have a shift, Q and E on top of that.

As much as the teleporter and turret are spread apart, that's by choice not because somehow 'tf2 characters are complex and OW are simple' - that's patently false. Torbjorn builds turrets but not dispensers or teleporters, true. Instead he also has a better gun than the engineer with two firing modes, can give out armor (different than a dispenser but let's call that ability similar) and an ult that gives him hundreds of armor, more attack speed, and buffs his turret. The only thing he truly lacks is the teleporter (dispenser gives ammo but he doesn't need that in this game, so giving armor replaces the health portion, and is even more utility since it's more like an overheal). It's not as if they stole the Teleporter fromt he engineer and gave him nothing in return, they could ltierally flip the Q for Symm and Torb and it woudl be the engineer, they don't because that's not how the character works.

Permanently A

Right now everyone is bad. This is also a game where team composition > all. A good player cannot carry a bad/disorganized team as heavily as you see in other games.

The engineer and the spy are the ONLY two TF2 characters with that much of a kit, so that's disingenuous.

For example, EVERY other character but those two has primary gun, secondary gun, melee. The first and third things on that list are exactly like EVERY overwatch character, some of them with alt fires on primary guns, and some with second weapons, then they all also have a shift, Q and E on top of that.

As much as the teleporter and turret are spread apart, that's by choice not because somehow 'tf2 characters are complex and OW are simple' - that's patently false. Torbjorn builds turrets but not dispensers or teleporters, true. Instead he also has a better gun than the engineer with two firing modes, can give out armor (different than a dispenser but let's call that ability similar) and an ult that gives him hundreds of armor, more attack speed, and buffs his turret. The only thing he truly lacks is the teleporter (dispenser gives ammo but he doesn't need that in this game, so giving armor replaces the health portion, and is even more utility since it's more like an overheal). It's not as if they stole the Teleporter fromt he engineer and gave him nothing in return, they could ltierally flip the Q for Symm and Torb and it woudl be the engineer, they don't because that's not how the character works.

Soldier has more mobility options than his Overwatch than Phara and carries a shotgun for backup. The TF2 generalists are far more versatile than their Overwatch counterparts, which is why they don't have to worry about counters while every Overwatch character does.

I'm not saying it makes it more complicated, I'm saying the Overwatch classes are more narrowly focused than the TF2 ones.

Odrion

Banned
Soldier has more mobility options than his Overwatch than Phara and carries a shotgun for backup. The TF2 generalists are far more versatile than their Overwatch counterparts, which is why they don't have to worry about counters while every Overwatch character does.

I'm not saying it makes it more complicated, I'm saying the Overwatch classes are more narrowly focused than the TF2 ones.
I'll say it: The Overwatch heroes are simpler. The skill ceiling is lower. Compare learning how to be mobile with the soldier (hundreds of hours figuring how to rocket jump) to Phara (you press one button.) Or compare being Widow with her versatile semi-auto with a higher fire rate than the Sniper. Or Junkrat's whole thing compared to the Demo man. Or fuck, just not having a spy makes the whole dynamic of the game easier.

Or even the maps. You never have to worry about multiple simultaneous capture points or something like capture the flag. Instead they're more linear and all based around the idea of pushing the line. You get an alley and one or two flanking routes.

sorry that the thing we like is extremely streamlined and more accessible than the game it's derived from

TheYanger

I'll say it: The Overwatch heroes are simpler. The skill ceiling is lower. Compare learning how to be mobile with the soldier (hundreds of hours figuring how to rocket jump) to Phara (you press one button.) Or compare being Widow with her versatile semi-auto with a higher fire rate than the Sniper. Or Junkrat's whole thing compared to the Demo man. Or fuck, just not having a spy makes the whole dynamic of the game easier.

Or even the maps. You never have to worry about multiple simultaneous capture points or something like capture the flag. Instead they're more linear and all based around the idea of pushing the line. You get an alley and one or two flanking routes.

sorry that the thing we like is extremely streamlined and more accessible than the game it's derived from

The fact that you guys think Pharah doesn't have anything but shift is exactly the kind of 'complexity' that shows you haven't begun to peel any of the layers back. Pharah has concussion boosting, as well as rockets, yes she has shift but there is more to use than that. Similarly, the routes have one or two OBVIOUS flanking routes that any character can just wander around, but all kinds of fucking crazy ways to get around for the more mobile members of the cast, which are myriad. This means whether you're playing them or not you have to learn about them just to know what can be going on.

Sorry, but Soldier does not have 'a ton' more depth than Pharah. He has a rocket launcher, of standard FPS variety, shotgun, and a shovel. Pharah has the same rocket launcher (A little closer to the direct hit, TBH, in terms of splash/speed, which actually makes it harder to spam and get good results without some semblance of aim), the boost, the float, the concussion (which you can use for various 'rocket jump' tricks of VASTLY higher propulsion levels) etc. You can claim rocket jumping is some complex strat, and it IS a skill, but it's not secretly akin to having 20 more abilities.

kiguel182

I ended up caving in and buying the game. It really is excellent.

The community with all the "you need to play this way" was annoying on the beta and it's not improving I see. Best to ignore that and just enjoy the game.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
i wonder the user review score is about. I havent looked at the reviews cause i dont want to hurt my brain but i'm assuming its people who thought the game had some kind of offline component, people who are in the battleborn fandom, people who think there is a lack of content, or all of those

i wonder the user review score is about. I havent looked at the reviews cause i dont want to hurt my brain but i'm assuming its people who thought the game had some kind of offline component, people who are in the battleborn fandom, people who think there is a lack of content, or all of those

You forgot people who give every game a 1/10.

RevenWolf

The fact that you guys think Pharah doesn't have anything but shift is exactly the kind of 'complexity' that shows you haven't begun to peel any of the layers back. Pharah has concussion boosting, as well as rockets, yes she has shift but there is more to use than that. Similarly, the routes have one or two OBVIOUS flanking routes that any character can just wander around, but all kinds of fucking crazy ways to get around for the more mobile members of the cast, which are myriad. This means whether you're playing them or not you have to learn about them just to know what can be going on.

Sorry, but Soldier does not have 'a ton' more depth than Pharah. He has a rocket launcher, of standard FPS variety, shotgun, and a shovel. Pharah has the same rocket launcher (A little closer to the direct hit, TBH, in terms of splash/speed, which actually makes it harder to spam and get good results without some semblance of aim), the boost, the float, the concussion (which you can use for various 'rocket jump' tricks of VASTLY higher propulsion levels) etc. You can claim rocket jumping is some complex strat, and it IS a skill, but it's not secretly akin to having 20 more abilities.

Pretty much this, the maps are designed with the fact that more than half the cast has some form of crazy mobility.

The maps are incredibly more complex in comparison to tf2 as a result. The amount of angles you can get on an opponent depend entirely on your creativity and ingenuity.

Hell there are characters with abilities that let you grant access to higher areas for less mobile characters if you're coordinated.

*edit:

Heck I just remembered a fairly unique method of travel I developed with Reinheart. Using his boost to travel is common, but I discovered that if you can hit a small lip or ramp he has enough momentum to cross gaps that he shouldn't be able to.

Sh1ner

To the people who are complaining about players playing for fun and not playing the most optimal style of play...get over it.

Overwatch does not have a ranked ladder system yet. This is where your argument would be semi valid. As ranked ladder is about doing everything possible to maximize win potential. Even so in a game like Overwatch where the meta has not truly taken shape outside of a small subset of beta players. You seriously can't be dictating optimal play styles already?

Playing Overwatch for fun and just learning the game is absolutely fine especially when the GAME JUST CAME OUT.

As someone who only plays ranked in league of legends I find it absurd how you guys are trying to force people to change their style of play in a game that is designed to be both casual and competitive.

Klyka

Banned
I ended up caving in and buying the game. It really is excellent.

The community with all the "you need to play this way" was annoying on the beta and it's not improving I see. Best to ignore that and just enjoy the game.

It's not like we're in actual competitions so just play what you want and have fun.
Best way to enjoy it.

kiguel182

It's not like we're in actual competitions so just play what you want and have fun.
Best way to enjoy it.

Pretty much.

It's one thing to advice you to try x or y character in a certain situation but I've seen to many posts of "you HAVE to do this or else you are ruining the game". Like, that it easy people.

TheYanger

To the people who are complaining about players playing for fun and not playing the most optimal style of play...get over it.

Overwatch does not have a ranked ladder system yet. This is where your argument would be semi valid. As ranked ladder is about doing everything possible to maximize win potential. Even so in a game like Overwatch where the meta has not truly taken shape outside of a small subset of beta players. You seriously can't be dictating optimal play styles already?

Playing Overwatch for fun and just learning the game is absolutely fine especially when the GAME JUST CAME OUT.

As someone who only plays ranked in league of legends I find it absurd how you guys are trying to force people to change their style of play in a game that is designed to be both casual and competitive.

I think not having ranked yet is probably a large part of it. I was in the beta for a long time, and even telling myself not to care, it's HARD not to care when you're competitive, it's frustrating to have teammates that don't want to play the way you want to play. Same time, it's frustrating not to get to play the way you want when you're feeling like playing Soldier but you need a support, so maybe you say fuck it and play Soldier anyway...but then you're part of the very thing you hate.

When ranked was in the beta, I felt an enormous weight off my shoulders in that regard. I had a place to go to play completely serious matches, the rest of my team was serious, it didn't mean we could never disagree or argue, but it was never basic shit like "Hey, maybe we don't need 5 junkrats" like you see in Quick Match. Similarly, it enabled me to suddenly care SO much less about Quick Match and just be really chill because there was already another place for me to play if I really didn't want to put up with that.

I actually can't wait for it to come back for this reason. When people get mad: I get it. Shit sucks when your team is like that. I ahte it, everyone hates it. But you can't do anything about it right now.

Hasney

Best way to enjoy it.

Yup. Ranked will put the people who want perfect teams and people to try and make a serious push to win in there while casual will free up for those who like a couple of characters and have fun without caring about the actual result. It'll get there.

Klyka

Banned
Yup. Ranked will put the people who want perfect teams and people to try and make a serious push to win in there while casual will free up for those who like a couple of characters and have fun without caring about the actual result. It'll get there.

Yesterday as I was playing Genji in every match, I had this one guy who kept writing at me in all caps how I should "stop doing this and that" and how I "suck at Genji" and I said "Well I have only been playing him for the last 40 minutes, so just learning and seeing what I can do with him" and the guy just went BALLISTIC on me in chat, telling me to "switch character" and "learn to play" and "stop ruining the game".

Like, how am I supposed to "learn to play" if you don't want me to play?

Hasney

Yesterday as I was playing Genji in every match, I had this one guy who kept writing at me in all caps how I should "stop doing this and that" and how I "suck at Genji" and I said "Well I have only been playing him for the last 40 minutes, so just learning and seeing what I can do with him" and the guy just went BALLISTIC on me in chat, telling me to "switch character" and "learn to play" and "stop ruining the game".

Ha, I'm kinda glad for the PS4 silence bar two annoying children so far. What a moron that guy was. I'd have just found him and constantly emoted in front of him for the rest of the game.

TheYanger

right click, report, avoid/block. People like that don't deserve any more thought than that.

Gameblog - 9/10 (Fantastic) + Editor's choice

GOOD
  • Wonderful art direction
  • Easy to play, hard o master
  • A perfectly handled formula
  • 21 unique heroes
  • Switching heroes in the middle of a game is an excellent idea!
BAD
  • Skins that are just color swaps
  • That's all

peakish

Some people are way too invested in 6 minute games with randoms. Someone went on the all chat and complained about the team to make sure that everyone knew that he definitely was not bad. Like, who are you trying to impress, dude? :p

Sotha_Sil

This. If I was playing in a ranked match and people were dicking around, it would be a little annoying. When it's all unranked, just have fun man.

Rankings are what COD has been missing all these years, unless it's been added in since BLOPS2 and I've missed out on it. Halo 2/3 had a great ranking system that kept every game interesting and great to play with friends. Once Overwatch has such a setup, I'll probably give the game a try and see if I can play with some GAF'ers.

Phased

Not all skins are just color swaps though.

Some are. Most of the basic skin variations are just color swaps. Zenyatta has a bunch where the only thing that really changes are his pants, and Reaper has a few that just change the color of his robe.

With that said the more "expensive" skins are really gorgeous to look at for the most part, and even pallete swaps aren't horrible all of the time. Reinhardt's white scheme is really nice looking.

I'm guessing the answer to this question is no, but does this game have split-screen co-op? I'd love to introduce my fiance to her first FPS and this sounds like it could be a really good option.

Assuming the answer is no, would I need to buy two copies to play with her on Xbone or is it possible to purchase one digital copy and play on two separate Xbones? In that case, do we both have to have XBL subs or can we get away with just my sub if we're in the same household?

I also have more than one PS4 and a couple gaming PCs, so those are alternative options (we play a lot of Dungeon Defenders together on PC/Steam, for example). But she really likes the XBL ecosystem, avatar, etc... So we try to co-op on 360/Xbone when possible....

I'm guessing the answer to this question is no, but does this game have split-screen co-op? I'd love to introduce my fiance to her first FPS and this sounds like it could be a really good option.

Assuming the answer is no, would I need to buy two copies to play with her on Xbone or is it possible to purchase one digital copy and play on two separate Xbones? In that case, do we both have to have XBL subs or can we get away with just my subb if we're in the same household?

I also have more than one PS4 and a couple gaming PCs, so those are alternative options (we play a lot of Dungeon Defenders together on PC/Steam, for example). But she really likes the XBL ecosystem, avatar, etc... So we try to co-op on 360/Xbone when possible....

No

RevenWolf

Some are. Most of the basic skin variations are just color swaps. Zenyatta has a bunch where the only thing that really changes are his pants, and Reaper has a few that just change the color of his robe.

With that said the more "expensive" skins are really gorgeous to look at for the most part, and even pallete swaps aren't horrible all of the time. Reinhardt's white scheme is really nice looking.

Yup his paragon scheme of white and gold is awesome, used my coins on it so people can feel privileged when they have their peasant skulls crushed in by my glorious hammer.

Assuming the answer is no, would I need to buy two copies to play with her on Xbone or is it possible to purchase one digital copy and play on two separate Xbones? In that case, do we both have to have XBL subs or can we get away with just my sub if we're in the same household?

No coop but you indeed can share the digital copy with her. Login your XBL account with the game purchased on her console, set that console as your account's primary Xbox, then she can play Overwatch on her console without buying it, and will be able to play online via your Xbox Gold family share, you can login with your own account on your Xbox to play with her.

kami_sama

Yup his paragon scheme of white and gold is awesome, used my coins on it so people can feel privileged when they have their peasant skulls crushed in by my glorious hammer.

That skin is a good one, but the best one in my opinion is Stoneheart, with Blackheart at second place.
But the best ones in my opinion are the work ones for Hazo. His ultimate changes, his voice lines change. No other skin changes as much as that.

Also, not every pallete swap is bad. I love Phara's skins, for example. Or Bastion's.

GameCrate - 8.5/10
At the very least, Overwatch deserves our attention because it's trying something new, and it's doing it at a very high level. We're all better off as gamers with Overwatch on the market competing with other multiplayer shooters (and maybe even MOBAs), because the variety of characters and highly-polished experience it offers will force other developers to improve their games or see their playerbases dwindle.

TrustedReviews - 4.5/5

Gameplanet - 9/10
What’s incredible about Overwatch is how every single aspect of the game presented holds the same remarkably high level of detail and polish, and though the lack of progression systems and small selection of game modes may limit the experience for some in the long term, in the short to medium term, this game is nothing short of amazing.

Eurogamer - Essential
If that keeps going, Blizzard's first new universe in more than 18 years could go on to match the likes of Diablo, Warcraft, StarCraft and that puzzle platformer with the vikings.

Hardcore Gamer - 4.5/5
Putting a competent team together and snatching victory from the jaws of defeat is one of the most satisfying experiences a multiplayer game has offered in years. It could use a campaign, a few more game modes and refinement of its RNG system, but none of that distracts from the fact that Overwatch is an superb effort that will entertain players for an ungodly amount of time.

Gadgets360 - 10/10
There's a great balance between depth and accessibility as well as the right amount of reliance on skill, and moments of magic that make Overwatch well worth playing.

We Got This Covered - 5/5
With Blizzard’s pedigree, Overwatch wasn’t really in jeopardy of being a bad game, though it could have ended up with a worse fate as a mediocre copycat. But the sheer amount of care and polish that has gone into this release is apparent in every facet, from the tight controls down to the options screens. This game isn’t simply an also-ran that was shoved out the door for a quick buck. It’s leaps and bounds better than anything in its genre, and it sets a high bar for future competitive multiplayer games of all kinds.

Metro - 9/10
But no matter how you feel about the ongoing trend of feature lite game launches Overwatch is a fantastic game and one of the best multiplayer shooters we’ve ever played. By focusing on character, variety, and teamwork it repositions the whole genre to be more inclusive and good-natured. Shooting people in the face has never been more fun.

PSU - 9/10
But in all seriousness, Blizzard hasn't done anything new here, but what they have done is taken the genre of "shooty-shooty, bang-bang" and injected a dose of colour and personality, delivering a game that's enjoyable, eye-catching and crammed with just the right amount of depth and accessibility that will grant a tremendous amount of replay value to establish an audience. Go team Tracer.

Gameblog.fr - 9/10
Overwatch is a great multiplayer game with an amazing artistic direction. Each hero truly feels special, and it is very rewarding to play with each and every one of them. It feels like the fun will never end. A solid contender for 2016's Best Video Game of the Year.

JeuxActu - 17/20
If you can forget about its dubious commercial policy (high price, a myriad of microtransactions), then Overwatch becomes a very strong game, with many characters which are very distinct from one another. All of this with the Blizzard touch that makes each of their games accessible and polished.

Windows Central - 4.5/5 (Choice Award)
What I initially thought of as a shallow shooter rapidly expanded into a deep and polished experience, which I hope grows alongside the community.

ICXM.net - 9/10
Overwatch is the most detailed and stylised game that you will ever play. Blizzard have created one of the most fantastic multiplayer experiences I have played in years. While what is there is extremely hard to fault, the lack of varying game modes does make it hard to recommend. After hours of play, Overwatch keeps its insane fun factor and shows no sign of ever slowing down.

Atomix - 93/100
Finally, Blizzard has a brand new franchise. Overwatch is a brilliant FPS based on heroes. It's competitive matches with tons of adrenaline, makes it one of the most enjoyable experiences of the year.

HobbyConsoles - 90/100
Overwatch is a great multiplayer game with a lot of charisma.

Eurogamer.it - 9/10

Areajugones - 8.8/10

LaPS4 - 86/100

Trionix11

Neo Member
Because they are reviews. We don't know what we are actually gonna get and how it shapes the game. You can't review that, no matter how devoted you are to Blizzard.

You can review it again after things have been added. Some have done that with TF2.

Good point.

But I think you can mention in a review that all future characters and maps are free. I wasn't going to buy it till they mentioned that, I wasn't going to invest time in a game who's content would be gated with $.

Top Bottom