• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch Summer Games Event August 8th, Lucioball Strikes Back [Skins Leaking]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rafus

They will never make swinsuits for the girls, the outrage would be too big.
I'm saving my post when they actually do it to shame myself.

Phu

Banned
The worst part about skins [which can't really be avoided] is the fact that it's kind of a matter of diminishing returns. Once you find a skin you really like, it's hard to get hyped about a newer one because it needs to pass the bar your current favorite has set.

Personally, it's gonna be hard for something to match witch Mercy.

HotS keeps winning with their cosmetics... I really do think that the Overwatch team is too terrified of doing anything but safe. Afterall, they instantly caved when one person complained over something as minor as Tracer standing with her backside facing the camera. Do you realize the kind of fallout there'd be if they gave the characters bikinis?

I think it'd be fine. They'd be probably lean more on the conservative side for the majority of the swimsuits, but it's still possible.

Damn that Mercy skin is awesome.

The Sigrun/Valkyrie are still my fav and this looks more in line with that, like Greek warrior almost.

Guess i'll toss another 50 at loot boxes if there's some more good stuff.

I like it! She looks like the Nike the goddess of victory. I wonder if this Summer Games will be classical themed.

The event might go up at 10 AM PST according to a post so here's hoping!

Plus we have that Sombra skin coming as well.

Skidd

NOTE: "FAN CONCEPT"

dashiana-mercy-goddess-skin-edit.jpg

[Source]

Huh. Now that's a funny coincidence, I knew I had seen something similar.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
HotS keeps winning with their cosmetics... I really do think that the Overwatch team is too terrified of doing anything but safe. Afterall, they instantly caved when one person complained over something as minor as Tracer standing with her backside facing the camera. Do you realize the kind of fallout there'd be if they gave the characters bikinis?

She has a swimsuit. It's just modest.

heroes-of-the-storm-sxuuu5.png

If Zarya isn't wearing a sling bikini and Reinhardt a speedo showing off all those mad muscles then they can forget the whole thing.

It's the best skin by Soldier standards. Dude has no good skins.

Thriller: 76 is probably my favorite one, but you're right, he deserves better

LifEndz

Started running Lucio more and I think I'm close to getting floor is lava (mastering the minimum boop distance is a nice challenge), so I'm looking forward to picking up Lucio's Brazil skin and the soccer ball emote.

And finally getting one of the two Zarya skins worth a damn.

PMS341

Started running Lucio more and I think I'm close to getting floor is lava (mastering the minimum boop distance is a nice challenge), so I'm looking forward to picking up Lucio's Brazil skin and the soccer ball emote.

I just run Goth Zarya out of spite. Until today...

I would love the Summer Games Zarya skins so much more if they just kept her hairstyle the same. The blonde ponytail just doesnt look right to me.

TrueBlue

So I guess the Greek God theme might be exclusive to Mercy?

Either that or we'll have more legendaries than I thought.

Mariip

I wasn't going to look at the skins but HOLY SHIT LOOK AT THAT SOLDIER SKIN

sorry McCree, my main dps is daddy now :(

Veelk

Banned

A lot of people get antsy about sexualized fanservice, and often for good reason. The problem with sexualizing your characters is that it tends to sexually objectify them. Objectification is dehumanizing, and that's pretty much always bad.

The reason why I think Blizzard does a good job, or atleast a better job than most is in these two pictures. Widowmaker is fairly sexualized in her design and this is consistent with most of her outfits. The Huntress and Comptess ones are the only ones who I feel are set to a design that doesn't sexualize her. The default, ballerina, Talon, and now this swimsuit sexualize her body to varying degrees. And while I can see the design themes adhering to one archtype or another, it's debatable whether being so sexualized is an integral part of her character.

If every female character was as sexualized as Widowmaker, this would be a major problem.

But instead, you have Sombra. She's not really sexualized in any of her outfits. And if there is any pretense that blizzard could get away with sexualizing their characters, a 'beach event' is basically the one because that's where people tend to show off their bodies even if they're not typically sexual characters. But Sombra is wearing a swimsuit that doesn't do that at all. While showing feminine curves, I don't feel this outfit is sexualized beyond that.

And that's the ultimate thing. The Women of the overwatch universe aren't defined by their sexualization...Only Widowmaker is. Maybe D.Va too, but that's it. It's the fact that they have diversity, women who are sexualized and women who are not, that makes this whole thing easier to accept, atleast for me. It's not perfect, but it feels a lot less objectifying when it's clearly not something that is applied wholesale just because a character is a certain gender.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom