• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch trolls will face tougher penalties

Source (BBC)
Source (Blizzard)

Blizzard

”Play nice; play fair" is one of Blizzard's core values. It's something we took to heart in creating Overwatch and remains a priority as we continue to support the game and our players. This not only applies to the new content we develop and the balance changes we make, but also to the features we add or improve upon over time.

We believe that our in-game reporting and player penalty system is one of our most important features, and it's something we want to invest in significantly over the next year. To this end, effective immediately, we will be issuing increased penalties to players in response to verified reports of bad behavior. In Overwatch, that means anything from abusive chat, harassment, in-game spam, match inactivity (being intentionally AFK), and griefing. If you see someone engaging in any of these types of behaviors, report them. Players in violation will be silenced, suspended, or even banned from the game as a result.

We know that making Overwatch a truly welcoming environment is an ongoing process, and this is only the first step. Over the next several months, we have plans to make additional improvements based on your feedback, including scaling competitive season bans, a notification system that will alert you when a player you've reported is actioned, and functionality that will allow us to more aggressively penalize players who attempt to abuse the in-game reporting tool.

We also remain committed to bringing a reporting system to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. As console players ourselves, we know it's been frustrating to not have this functionality on your platform. We are actively working on the feature and have many elements of undergoing internal testing right now. Our goal is to implement similar reporting options as are currently available on PC, and any improvements made to PC between now and when it's available.

Thank you for your vigilance, passion, and commitment to building a welcoming and enjoyable community and helping us make Overwatch the best game it can be.

BBC

Overwatch players will face harsher penalties if they abuse or harass others, developer Blizzard has announced.
The company said "verified reports" of "bad behaviour" would lead to players being silenced, temporarily suspended or banned from the game completely.
Abusing other gamers over voice-chat or deliberately wasting time in games were examples of bad behaviour, it said.
One reviewer said it would make the game more "welcoming" as an e-sport.
"The gaming community has improved, but there are still some toxic elements," said Ellen Rose, co-editor of the gaming channel OutsideXtra.
"It's too easy online to do, and say, what you want and not get any consequences for it.
"Cracking down on that so it's a more fun experience for everyone - especially for newer players - is really good."

Griefing
The company said it would also issue tougher penalties for people who deliberately tried to spoil the game for others, known as griefing.
"You also get people who go into matches just to annoy other people because they think it's funny," said Ms Rose.
"One character, Mei, has an ice wall she can bring up, and some people set up ice walls to trap other players on their own team - or stop them getting a line of sight to shoot."
"Stamping out that sort of behaviour is a good thing."
Blizzard is pitching Overwatch as an e-sports title and in July announced the first seven team owners for a forthcoming league.

Ban me if old.

No. Wait, wait, wait!

Royce McCutcheon

Fuck that, I talk trash all the time. Makes the team step up. Don't punish me for thin skinned people who can't mute folks. Grief is a whole different matter and should be a bananable offense.

Arthos

It would be nice to get a notification stating that a player you recently reported for this kind of conduct got banned.

LoL uses (used?) this system and it felt good seeing the report make some sort of difference. As it is, I sometimes take the time to report a player if they are spewing racial slurs or harassing a player but i sometimes don't bother.

ZeroGravity

On one hand, it's about time.

On another, they promised this months ago and this is the best they can roll out with? The rest is still months away? They've been ridiculously slow at responding to this sort of thing and it's actively harming the game's environment right now.

Not to mention they've been saying a console reporting system has been coming forever now and we STILL don't have any sort of firm date on it.

PMS341

Fuck that, I talk trash all the time. Makes the team step up. Don't punish me for thin skinned people who can't mute folks. Grief is a whole different matter and should be a bannable offense.

People are allowed to have thin skin and enjoy a video game. Not everyone is as "strong" as you.

If you can't play a game without being negative in tone, you have more underlying social issues to focus on.

Kade

Good. It was also weird to me that they feel that saying "gg ez" was bad enough to word filter but significantly worse things don't get filtered and require action from the users to report it. It's hard to filter voice chat but typing derogatory slurs should word filter and automatically send a report to Blizzard the second that shit hits the chat window.

DrArchon

I've never seen hardcore griefing in OW. Not to the extent that I saw it in Dota or anything. I can't imagine it's that much of an issue. What's the worst you can do? Feed for ult charge and block some guys with Ice Wall? Trick some people once with a shitty teleporter?

Enough talk, let's hear about some solid plans you have to attack the toxic community that seems to be getting worse and worse in Overwatch.

Fuck that, I talk trash all the time. Makes the team step up. Don't punish me for thin skinned people who can't mute folks. Grief is a whole different matter and should be a bananable offense.

Get over yourself...seriously.

It would be nice to get a notification stating that a player you recently reported for this kind of conduct got banned.

LoL uses (used?) this system and it felt good seeing the report make some sort of difference. As it is, I sometimes take the time to report a player if they are spewing racial slurs or harassing a player but i sometimes don't bother.

They're going to do that. They are basically going to be doing exactly what Dota or CS do.

So basically let me be an asshole because there is NO other way possible to get your team to step up and pull through the match.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Oh gimme a break. If you're taking it to the point the game is no longer fun then you deserve what you get. Every belligerent ass hole says they're just trash talking.

Ferr986

Nope. People is'nt obliged to hear your bullshit because you don't know how to act as an adult online.

Good intentions from Blizzard here, let's see it it's not just PR talk and there's actions behind.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

What a leader, hahaha. Oy. I always found talking trash in a video game to be weird. I always imagined someone talking trash in a game to be someone who would never do it in real life against someone standing next to them.

Anyway, this is all talk by Blizz.

Blyr

Banned

I mean.. some people just want to relax and play a game without having shit slung their way? I don't want to deal with someone talking trash to me when I'm just trying to unwind and push a payload.. also as far as "thin skinned" goes, a lot of people deal with depression and anxiety, and insulting them or belittling them won't benefit them in the slightest, even if they can "just mute someone" the damage is already done and their mood has likely already tanked

OT: Glad to see they're taking an active approach to combat a lot of the toxicity in the community, it hasn't reached MOBA levels yet, and if they can nip this in the bud and minimize a lot of the harm being done online, then more power to them, especially being notified when someone you reported has action taken against them.. a lot of the times you won't know if someone you reported has been looked in to, it's just a "hope for the best" scenario

Kinyou

While it sounds good I'm always worried that trolls might turn this around by reporting harmless players. Hope they have some checks there

giphy.gif

It's pretty sad how much this season of Overwatch has broken people. Granted there's a lot of other good games out there, but a lot of folks I know completely fell off.

I don't think anything in this season is particularly egregious (maybe nerfing Roadhog into oblivion, but it's just his turn in the hole), but the last year has been slowly building up and this was a breaking point for a lot of folks (myself included).

ViciousDS

Banned

so you're the asshole who makes casuals feel like shit

Way to be the leader of the group

good to know

OT: I'm all for any improvement to the overwatch reporting system

MikeBison

They don't even have a system in place to report people on console.

Quality of this season of competitive has plummeted. Far too many trolls and griefers end up on your team and you're doomed.

Zackat

Being an asshole is different than Trash talking.

Are people really becoming so soft that Trash talking is not allowed anymore?
I grew up playing online games so what people say doesn't bother me too much. But there are people who straight up harrass others. Particularly women getting harrassed just for being a woman playing a video game. That shit needs to be stamped out.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Most people can't stop trash talking once started and just keep going to the point they're a an annoying ass hole or worse as often happens and when its to your own team mates its even less desirable. I just mute anyone like that.

Alavard

Verbal abuse and harassment have always been against the rules. If you don't like the rules, don't play the game.

8byte

Banned

Eh, trash talk is usually reserved for people who know each other or have some kind of social connection in most settings.

Gaming trash talk is usually pretty awful because anonymity makes people awful.

Ex: Trash talk in a pick up basketball game with strangers "Nice brick, you building a house! Haha"

Trash talk in video games "You're the reason abortions exist."

Gaming fucking suuuuucks. I almost never go in team chat because it's just people with no social experience.

Instead of talking shit to your team mates you should use encouragement. Never has it worked less than making people feel like they aren't doing goo enough for someone else. Being positive is better than being negative. Nevermind trash talk in a video game settings is pretty different than in a real physical social setting.

It's pretty sad how much this season of Overwatch has broken people. Granted there's a lot of other good games out there, but a lot of folks I know completely fell off.

I don't think anything in this season is particularly egregious (maybe nerfing Roadhog into oblivion, but it's just his turn in the hole), but the last year has been slowly building up and this was a breaking point for a lot of folks (myself included).

These past few months people have just been done with blizzards shit. With the anniversary event having tons of legendarys that weren't permanent, to them giving double exp at the end, to the jacked competitive mode with SR gains and loses reliant on staying the same character and playing the character better than others, to one of the biggest nerfs to a character that really didn't need to happen as it did. We are in the grwoing pain stages of the game and I think Blizzard will sort it out over the coming months because its clear what they are trying to do, isn't working for the fanbase.

Keinning

You tell them dude! Internet only the strong are allowed to survive!!!! Trash talking is such an important part of playing the game over anything in the game itself. God forbid teamplay, if someone want to be a jackass you just gotta deal with it, mute everyone and play in complete silence and with no coordination whatsoever

Jesus.

Is it? When you keep bothering someone to tell them how many times you fucked their mum last night, ain't you being an asshole by proxy.

Pepboy

You sound like the dad that people don't talk to after they move out.

But in order for the kid to be able to move out... it implies that dad successfully raised the kid to be able to achieve financial independence in a rapidly changing volatile economy! Vindication!

i jest

Blyr

Banned

Talking trash with your buddies is fine, you know eachother and it's usually friendly ribbing, random people on the internet? you don't know them or what they're going through

& Maybe it's that people are becoming more sensitive and empathetic to those around them, and realize they don't actually gain anything from belittling others, but would rather encourage and teach people who are performing poorly in a positive manner, so that person feels good about themselves and wants to rise to the challenge, instead of spiraling in a mess of negativity and ultimately dropping out of the match, going afk, or quitting the game entirely

LordKasual

Banned

The more popular competitive games become, the more this is going to be an issue.

The mere fact that "GGEZ" has become a bannable offense in most games is a bit troubling to me.

I mean some things are genuinely assholish and shouldn't be condoned, but there comes a point where the crying is just a circus

arab

i've put in almost 3k hours into dota and i still think OW is more toxic. something about competitive and the dive meta has made me lose interest in the game

Budi

The more popular competitive games become, the more this is going to be an issue.

The mere fact that "GGEZ" has become a bannable offense in most games is a bit troubling to me.

I mean some things are genuinely assholish and shouldn't be condoned, but there comes a point where the crying is just a circus
What is the point with this? What does this give to someone who says it? Isn't the purpose of this to be genuinely an asshole?
Talking trash with your buddies is fine, you know eachother and it's usually friendly ribbing, random people on the internet? you don't know them or what they're going through
Exactly. If you are both "into the joke" go ahead.

8byte

Banned
What is the point with this? What does this give to someone who says it?

Validation that they aren't getting somewhere else in life.

It's just self gratification. Temporary and empty, and they can't stop once they start.

saskuatch

Most of the time negative attitudes and trash talking doesn't make the team step up it makes moral shit and the team lose quicker......

Top Bottom