• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Own a Samsung 840 EVO SSD? Update its firmware to avoid bad performance.

derExperte

Since these drives are getting recommended regularly I think it's relevant to a lot of people here, including console owners who replaced the original HDDs.

- What models are we talking about? -

All Samsung 840 EVO SSDs, not the PRO series, not the 850s and not the 850 EVOs.

I read that the non-EVO drives are affected too but Samsung said they aren't and they don't offer a fix right now. If someone finds more info please share.

- So what's wrong? -

Problem is that the older the data, the slower it's getting read. From over 500MB/s while fresh the drive's speed can go down to less than 50MB/s depending on the circumstances (for more details about why and how see the articles below). For example if you installed a game a year ago it will now take a very long time to load. Same goes for the operating system, eventually making the drive slower than a traditional HDD. Good news is that no data loss has been reported yet so no need to panic. Also depending on your usage pattern you might not notice anything.

Here's a video with some explanations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSrfOkr5hCc&index=7&list=UUtKh7t3br1obEQL6EyiAq0w

Articles about what's going on with more in-depth information and statements from Samsung: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8550/...40-evo-read-performance-bug-fix-is-on-the-way http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storag...toration-Tool-preview-Getting-EVOs-back-speed

Also a long thread with people discussing and analyzing their findings since they've discovered there's something amiss: http://www.overclock.net/t/1507897/samsung-840-evo-read-speed-drops-on-old-written-data-in-the-drive

- Solution? -

Outdated, see the last update at the end.

Windows: Download the Samsung Performance Restoration tool, read the manual (seriously, read it completely, look at the pictures and ask if you don't understand something), then install and run the software: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/samsungssd/downloads.html (direct link http://www.samsung.com/global/busin...Samsung_SSD840EVO_Performance_Restoration.zip)

This will take a while (over 1hr on my half full 1TB EVO) but works without wiping your drive and runs in the background. Still be aware that data loss is always a possibility for example when you lose power during the process. So please back up important stuff. I'd also recommend closing all programs and stopping any anti-virus/malware tools.

And you need 10% of free space.

Linux and OSX: See http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html for a bootable USB disk or ISO and instructions.

- I put one of those in my PS4 or X1, what now? -

Sorry to say but the only way is to take the drive out and connect it to your PC via a SATA cable (USB isn't supported). Or don't as long as you don't notice any serious slow-downs, just keep this in mind in case it happens one day.

But beware....

However, OP should include the warning that this tool would wipe the drive with the PS4 data on it, because the tool operates only on NTFS filesystem, which is of course not what PS4 drive is formatted with.

UPDATE: The issue did reappear for some, now Samsung has responded.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8997/...0-evo-performance-another-fix-is-in-the-works

In October, Samsung released a tool to address a slowdown in 840 EVO Sequential Read speeds reported by a small number of users after not using their drive for an extended period of time. This tool effectively and immediately returned the drive’s performance to normal levels. We understand that some users are experiencing the slowdown again. While we continue to look into the issue, Samsung will release an updated version of the Samsung SSD Magician software in March that will include a performance restoration tool.

Final (?) Update | April 23rd

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storag...40-EVO-EXT0DB6Q-Firmware-Review-Finally-Fixed

Download Magician 4.6 from http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html or http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/samsung_ssd_magician.html. Install and then update the firmware. Finally let the Performance Optimization (Advanced!) run once which will take a while. After that the firmware should keep the drive 'fresh' by doing occasional optimizations on its own. The end.

Update | July 2016

840 non-EVO fix: https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Stora...T0AB0Q-Firmware-Tested-Read-Speed-Issues-Fina

Saroyan

Thanks for posting this, I have 2 Evo drives and didn't know about this. One that is only 2 weeks old and one that is 6 months old and haven't experienced any issues myself but I'm definitely updating mine

Zeth

I have a non-EVO 840, model MZ-7TD250KW. Will keep an eye on this stuff. Haven't noticed any issues in 18 months or so as my main Win 7 boot disk.

Benchmark comparing my drive from day 1 to today.

1BozjJX.png

I'll report back when I update the firmware. Gonna back up my data first.

derExperte

Won't work, keeps telling me I'm using a third party storage driver when I'm not...

Did you follow the instructions for cases like this in the manual? What are your system specs (AMD, Intel....)?

Also there's a rather long list of limitations, make sure none of those apply to you (I'll just copy everything in here...):

General Limitations

1) Performance Restoration is designed specifically for Samsung SSD 840
EVO Series. Performance Restoration function is not supported for non-
Samsung SSD 840 EVO Series SSD.

2) Samsung Performance Restoration does not work with SSDs connected via
the SCSI controller interface and USB to SATA interface.

3) Only MBR and GPT partition types are supported. Performance
Restoration may not work with other partition types.

4) Performance Restoration will not work on SSDs that are locked with a user
password.

5) The user may need to manually refresh the disk list in System Information for
Performance Restoration to accurately reflect all connected/removed disks.

6) It may be necessary to manually refresh the disk list in System Information
before performing Performance Restoration on a newly attached disk.

7) Performance Restoration supports only the NTFS file system.

8) If RAIDmode turns on in SATA configuration, It is not supported by Samsung
Performance Restoration and DOS application.

9) Performance Restoration does not support dynamic disk.

10) PC will be shut down automatically after firmware update
(Performance Restoration counts down 20 seconds before shutdown)

11) Security mode (Class 0, TCG/Opal or Encrypted Drive) must be disabled
(unlocked) before removing and installing onto another PC.

12) Firmware Update may fail on Samsung brand SSDs connected to AMD
Controller. Please retry using default sata AHCI controller(Microsoft drivers)

13) If user is using any custom storage driver, then Performance Restoration
may not function properly. Please always use the latest storage driver or
Microsoft driver.

14) Performance Restoration supports default magnification (100%) of Display.

15) Performance Restoration can’t communicate with SSD possibly due to
security, Vaccine or DRM application.

16) Performance Restoration can’t support virtual disk created by Hypervisor.

17) If user tries to do firmware update on the different system as a secondary
drive using Performance Restoration, Installed OS such as Windows 7, Vista,
2008 R2 won’t boot due to Windows policy. Performance Restoration doesn’t
support this case.

naeS

Whew, I have the pro.

Good guy OP, nice PSA.

Now that I thought about it, I think I have an 840 EVO in my pc here at work, but I just updated the other day so I should be good. Using it to run Windows 10.

Spyware

Thank you for this, I had no idea! Gonna need to backup a lot before fixing it. With my luck the computer will explode :)

-griffy-

Banned
Thanks for this. I just installed a 1TB 840 EVO as my main drive just a couple weeks ago, had no idea this was an issue.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have an 840, but I'm not sure if it is a pro or an evo - is there a way to check within windows? Device manager just says Samsung SSD 840 series

Will be doing this tonight, thanks for the thread.

I have an 840, but I'm not sure if it is a pro or an evo - is there a way to check within windows? Device manager just says Samsung SSD 840 series

Win+E, right click on your C drive and click properties. Go to the hardware tab. Read the name of your HD.

I have exactly 10% free on my SSD right now, better delete something.

Here's how it looks for me before and after. The massive jump in Random Writes is weird to me, but I'll need to see how it after future use before we get a true idea I think.

EDIT: Replaced it with another benchmark, though I probably should have ordered them better.

Damaniel

Banned
I wasn't even aware this was an issue. I have a 840 EVO (1TB) that's still new enough that it doesn't have 'old' data to exhibit the problem, but I'll be updating the firmware as soon as I get home today. Thanks for the heads up!

Konomori

Neo Member
I have an 500 GB 840 EVO in my PS4 and wanted to do it but the SSD needed to be Initialized before starting the Process (therefore losing all data on it) will probably still do it tomorrow just to be on the safe site

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Have a brand new 840 that's been sitting in my closet for a while which I was planning to throw into an archival PS3.

This sounds like it's going to be a pain (no spare SATA cables around) but glad you posted the info.

This whole situation made me avoid the Samsung lone entirely for my new build. Glad it's getting fixed but it should not have come to market in this condition. So many people will miss this update and suffer.

Dolor

So, right now this doesn't work if the drive is in a RAID? What if the BIOS is set to RAID, but the drive itself is not in the RAID.

derExperte

This whole situation made me avoid the Samsung lone entirely for my new build. Glad it's getting fixed but it should not have come to market in this condition. So many people will miss this update and suffer.

To be fair it took about a year before people started noticing that something's wrong, not an easy bug to notice and I don't think I've ever seen something like this. I just hope this fix is a permanent solution.

Also I probably should post this in OT too.

knitoe

So, right now this doesn't work if the drive is in a RAID? What if the BIOS is set to RAID, but the drive itself is not in the RAID.

Pretty sure, it only applies to drives in RAID 0,1,5 or etc because the Samsung software won't see the SSD. So, run the Samsung software. If it sees it, it should be fine.

zychi

Banned
worked quick on my 250gb. thanks for the heads up. took a restart and about 15 minutes to do the performance restoration.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
- I put one of those in my PS4 or X1, what now? -

Sorry to say but the only way is to take the drive out and connect it to your PC via a SATA cable (USB isn't supported). Or don't as long as you don't notice any serious slow-downs, just keep this in mind in case it happens one day.

Just to mention this, before anyone with a PS4 just takes out their drive. If you disconnect your HDD you effectively wipe it.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I'm almost positive my 120GB OS HD is a Samsung 840 EVO. I'll have to check when I get home.

I wonder if this is why its taking a few extra seconds to boot up nowadays since I've had the HDD for 8 months. Cheers for the headsup.

Kuro

Seems like other people are getting the same third party driver error. Need to wait for a version that can be installed in dos.

Craiji

Just to mention this, before anyone with a PS4 just takes out their drive. If you disconnect your HDD you effectively wipe it.

Not true, as I have firmware updated my 1TB in a Windows PC using the Samsung Magician software with absolutely no data loss.

I'm worried about the current tool, as this initial release is for NTSF and that requirement would wipe my SSD, guess I wait till the end of October?

n0n44m

that works (my 840 EVO is my OS, have two 830s in RAID-0 as well)

I just had to disable the "RAID disk" in the Windows device manager because the Samsung software sees my primary 840 EVO disk twice if I don't

it updated in about an hour without issues and I reenabled the RAID array disk afterwards

joeblow

Not true, as I have firmware updated my 1TB in a Windows PC using the Samsung Magician software with absolutely no data loss.

I think he means that if you take out your PS4 drive, putting it back in requires a initialization process which resets everything. I'm not sure it is true (don't remember for my SSD), but that is the reasoning.

BibiMaghoo

I'm worried about the current tool, as this initial release is for NTSF and that requirement would wipe my SSD, guess I wait till the end of October?

It forces a drive format.

Craiji

I think he means that if you take out your PS4 drive, putting it back in requires a initialization process which resets everything. I'm not sure it is true (don't remember for my SSD), but that is the reasoning.

I have taken out my SSD twice that I put in my PS4 day 1, the second time to update to EXT0BB6Q. Put it back into my PS4 with no data loss both times.

But more on point, the current tool will most likely cause data loss. Going to perform it tonight.

It forces a drive format.

Was afraid so, if only PS+ cloud saving was not such a pain on the PS4.

Dolor

Pretty sure, it only applies to drives in RAID 0,1,5 or etc because the Samsung software won't see the SSD. So, run the Samsung software. If it sees it, it should be fine.

that works (my 840 EVO is my OS, have two 830s in RAID-0 as well)

I just had to disable the "RAID disk" in the Windows device manager because the Samsung software sees my primary 840 EVO disk twice if I don't

it updated in about an hour without issues and I reenabled the RAID array disk afterwards

Many thanks!

Skux

Been keeping up with this since I recently completed a build with an 840 EVO. Nice to see they released the patch on time like they said they would.

Top Bottom