• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Owners of the PC version of Dark Souls PTD edition will receive 50% discount for the Remaster

sublimit

Banned
Bandai Namco has released a new gameplay trailer and opened digital pre-orders for Dark Souls Remastered via the PlayStation Store and Xbox Games Store.

The company also announced that users who own Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition on Steam will receive a 50 percent loyalty discount towards their purchase of Dark Souls Remastered for PC. Additionally, starting May 8 at 4:00 p.m. PT, the Steam version of Dark Souls: Prepare to Die edition will be delisted and replaced with Dark Souls Remastered when it launches on May 25. Users who own Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition will still be able to play and re-download the title from their Steam library after it is delisted.
https://gematsu.com/2018/04/dark-souls-remastered-gameplay-trailer-digital-pre-orders-now-available

And a new gameplay trailer:

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Hmm, prefer that nothing gets delisted outright like this from Steam and remains a separate option to purchase, ideally. Never know what sort of small things the remaster might not get right compared to an existing modded out PTD. But otherwise good move on the loyalty discount.

I won’t complain, but I was going to pay the asking price nonetheless.

PRAISE THE, err, LOYALTY!

Last edited:

OH-MyCar

I don't know how to feel about this. If the original wasn't one of the most catastrophically awful ports of all-time, I'd be much more eager to use the discount. But when THQ, Bethesda & 2K gave everyone the Darksiders, Titan Quest, Skyrim & Bioshock remasters for free and the originals weren't a complete trainwreck (aside from Bethesda's usual jank)...

This time it feels much more like I'm paying for a patch rather than happily handing over a few extra bucks out of love and support. It makes me feel like a jerk to think even 50% is a bit rough considering how poorly they treated PC users last time. A single guy put forward more effort than all of Bandai Namco to support that game and they're largely profiting from all of the goodwill that From Software garnered for Dark Souls being awesome. Now they're learning that not patching the game was a good financial decision.

If we can all say "Metal Gear is amazing but Konami can go to hell", it shouldn't be taboo to do the same with Bandai Namco for things like this.

Last edited:

Ml33tninja

Neo Member
As much as I love Dark Souls even 50% off isn’t worth buying another edition.(own both console and PC) If they drop a remaster Demons (highly unlikely i know) then I’ll buy that in a heart beat.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
So $20 to buy a game I already own? Why not just give it to use free?

ickythingz

Banned
That's cool of them. I want to support this genre. I'm happy to spend money to tell them I would like another souls or borne game. I please FROM, do not let this series die.

Gamers are one particular stupid (and I mean animal-like stupid) brand of people, if I was in business I would rip their off their money every way possible since they're continuously accepting.

OH-MyCar

Gamers are one particular stupid (and I mean animal-like stupid) brand of people, if I was in business I would rip their off their money every way possible since they're continuously accepting.

I honestly can't disagree with that. If you're a publisher with a hardcore, critically acclaimed franchise under your belt you can effectively do anything without much resistance. Your fans will continue to market even some of your most anti-consumer moves because it's an extension of their own identity at that point.

Nintendo could boil a baby with a new Zelda trailer projected behind it and you'd have a sizable portion of the Internet supporting it. CD Project Red could give us a burned DVD of old Matlock episodes in Cyberpunk's case from the power of the Witcher's circlejerk. Bandai Namco could make us pay for a fixed version of their broken game and frame it as an "opportunity".

But if Ubisoft, Konami or EA did any of these things...

120v

I don't know how to feel about this. If the original wasn't one of the most catastrophically awful ports of all-time, I'd be much more eager to use the discount. But when THQ, Bethesda & 2K gave everyone the Darksiders, Titan Quest, Skyrim & Bioshock remasters for free and the originals weren't a complete trainwreck (aside from Bethesda's usual jank)...

This time it feels much more like I'm paying for a patch rather than happily handing over a few extra bucks out of love and support. It makes me feel like a jerk to think even 50% is a bit rough considering how poorly they treated PC users last time. A single guy put forward more effort than all of Bandai Namco to support that game and they're largely profiting from all of the goodwill that From Software garnered for Dark Souls being awesome. Now they're learning that not patching the game was a good financial decision.

If we can all say "Metal Gear is amazing but Konami can go to hell", it shouldn't be taboo to do the same with Bandai Namco for things like this.

to play a bit of devil's advocate it's probably improved online that tipped the scale from it being a total giveaway, as the server will need to be maintained and like 99.9% of everybody buying this will already own the game on PC anyway

Last edited:
Your fans will continue to market even some of your most anti-consumer moves because it's an extension of their own identity at that point.

That's the terrifying state of things I can't get my head around.

Is this a specifically dumbistan thing, because sadly we all know american are the stupidest people on earth on average and that's why they have no relatively no rights for a western country and the fastest declining economy?

Or this a generation thing, where we've reach past a treshold of degeneration of the mind after degeneration of the mind, and there are people with zero consciousness or culture aflicted with the "stooge syndrome", in which people become so easily and deeply manipulated that they end defending the interest of rich corporation or institution they have no stakes in against their own?

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned
Guilty until proven innocent isn't the way to go either. Who am I to say though?
For all I know it might be a MAJOR patching job, to such an extreme to warrant the price.

I'll pay. Also buying the Switch and Xbox version too. Glad to hear they aren't going for full price. I'd would have had to pass at that point.

Pejo

Hmm....I don't mind paying for the upgrade other than the bullshit increased summon limit thing. More Gank Squads and Fight Clubs are not what the souls games needed, IMO. This is a major bummer for people that were looking forward to invading.

OH-MyCar

I don't understand what's going on in this thread. Why are people upset? I thought people liked this series. I haven't played it

I'm probably being the crankiest over this, which is somewhat uncharacteristic for me, but most of it stems from the fact that people do love this series and that's the reason they're always turning a blind eye to a lot of the sketchier shit that Bandai Namco is doing. When others have given remasters/upgrades for free (Skyrim, Titan Quest, Darksiders, Bioshock, Bioshock 2, Divinity: OS, Half Life 2 Source, Wasteland 2, Dying Light, FTL, Witcher 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions), Bandai Namco gave us one of the worst PC ports of all time and acts like 50% off is a favor. Users fixed big parts of it with a txt file and despite the game selling like mad, Bandai Namco couldn't be assed to even make that effort. A company worth 4 Billion dollars couldn't make ends meet on their best-selling title to distribute a text file.

They also misrepresented Dark Souls 2 on PC, downgraded it to match consoles and then yet again, made PC users buy the graphical update all over again under the guise of additional DLC.

It's a huge company making bank on the franchise and hiding behind the "little guy" we all love, From Software. I've never seen any reason to ever be angry at From Software.

Last edited:

DonF

I don't understand what's going on in this thread. Why are people upset? I thought people liked this series. I haven't played it
Console people shouldnt be upset, but pc people have all the right.
Dark souls was released on the pc as a very very poor port. Tons of problems, fps capped at 30, low res and performance. And now bamco has the "good will" of charging $20 for a patch.
I mean, look at skyrim, the pc special edition was free for owners of the original game.

Oh that sounds rough. I'd say vote with your dollars but it sounds like its the publisher and not the developer. In this case wouldn't of From received most of their pay for the product development and maybe bonus for sales numbers. Isn't after that just going to the publishers pockets?
I don't believe in piracy but I do believe you can copy a game you own. So if PC users don't feel their purchase was complete, and this is giving what was initially promised then pirate it.
I don't know if and what sort of online this title has so that might not be possible.

It does suck wanting to support a dev, when doing so shows publisher their shady practices are not hurting sales.

Either way I'm excited to finally try this on switch when it arrives
\o/ praise the sun
. |
/\ is that right?

Kadayi

Banned
Having watched the half hour that gamespot played: -

I'm a bit meh about it all. Honestly I expected the textures and character models to be improved, and frankly, it just doesn't seem like that's happened. Visually it looks a little brighter and I know they've added some effects in like grass swaying etc, but it just doesn't look like a dramatic step up for PC on the DSfix

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I'm not very excited about it either, watching that video just underlined how well I know the game already, I'm not sure I'm bothered about buying it again to play a-not-quite updated enough version. seems like the character skates through the world, barely connected to it. The sharper visuals just make that more apparent to me.

I think I'm happy with the old version.

Might have been up for the Switch Port, but that's been delayed ...and 30fps.

This time it feels much more like I'm paying for a patch rather than happily handing over a few extra bucks out of love and support. It makes me feel like a jerk to think even 50% is a bit rough considering how poorly they treated PC users last time.

Didn't the PC version release with extra content?
Is it realistic to expect a complete rebuild of an existing game with a few years of access and maintenance on a new server for free? This isn't a standalone game with no infrastructure cost.

Top Bottom