• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OXM February 09 Issue: Brutal Legends Cover, First Street Fighter IV Review

FrankT

Brutal Legend: Pure awesome and win. That is all.

P.S. The pics are so good...

--The goal of Brutal Legend is to fulfill the promise of all those lyrics and all that lore, and not have it just be another Tolkeinesque elves in tights fantasy, but a collection of everything cool that we like, all put together. You could go back to this fantasy world, but you bring your Camaro with you.

--You play as rock roadie Eddie Riggs- “a man out of time, who should have been born in the early Seventies.”

--Eddie gets injured in a stage accident, ad some of his blood gets into the mouth of his belt buckle-which he doesn’t know is an ancient amulet of time travel. When Eddie wakes up, he’s in the same place he was before, only the foam and fiberglass stage set has been swapped for a real stone, and the audience has been replaced by piles of human remains.

--But then the red-robed demons surrounding an enormous double bladed axe….that’s new. Eddie quickly grabs the Separator, which will have it’s own history reveled in time, and hacks the baddies to bloody bits.

--Schafer says, the whole world is like and amplifier, Eddie’s guitar Clementine, is imbued with destructive force magic.

--Once slightly safe Eddie realizes he’s atop a grisly temple made of skulls and corpses, and the landscapes of this strange world is full of giant swords sticking out of the ground, towers of bone, pits of fire, wheels of plain, and other stuff you’d see, well, in the pages of Heavy Metal Thunder.

--They tried to make every piece of concept art look like it could be a heavy metal album cover.

--Eddie snaps together a hot rod (the Duece) and teams up with Ophelia, a comely member of the human resistance who becomes Eddie’s love interest.

--Gives a bit more background on what is next then from here you’re free to explore Brutal Legend open world finding battles and joining them at open will. YES YES YES

--OXM states: For there first glimpse of the game on 360 hardware Brutal Legend looks alarmingly complete, but then again, it has been in development since 2005.

--Characters look fantastic and the Age of Metal realm looks fully realized. Most of the voices are already done including Eddie Riggs.

--But will the average gamer get it too? Schafer says: The jokes were making about metal, people also get outside of metal. At the end of it, it’s a story about Eddie’s aspirations and the love interest and stuff, and that is stuff anyone can relate to.

--On track for a 09 release.

--Schafer sums it up: “There is a scene in School of Rock where Jack is singing ‘Immigrant Song’ by Led Zepplin, Schafer recalls. “He does this thing, ‘Hammer of the Gods!’ And they cut to a shot of the girl in the van, and there’s an Iron Maiden sticker on the wall. And I felt, ah…..it is rising in the zeitgeist…it’s time! It’s time for this game to be made!

They have a short preview of Fear 2 as they played about four levels. Overall they sound pretty enthusiastic about it with a basic summation that this game is going to be one of the scariest for next year. They also state a Feb 10th release date not sure if that has been said to date or not.

GOTY: Fallout 3

No other experience was as deep or varied as Fallout 3's in 2008, and we never got tired of seeing enemies' heads explode in fountains of slow-mo gore with the V.A.T.S. pinpoint-targeting system. Yes, it had an abrupt, definitive end-unlike Oblivion-and maybe that's one of the only negative things we call to mind. But the game is relentlessly cheeky, intelligent, and revolting-in all the best way and all at the same time. The massively single player role playing game belongs to Bethesda alone, and Fallout 3 stands at the top of that and any other genre for 2008.

Reviews:

Street Fight IV 9.5
+ Does the Impossible: Preserves the past, embraces the future.
+ Fantastic art direction..
-Anime sequences don’t add much to the experience
? Seth, have you met Dr. Manhattan?

Online play is really where Street Fighter IV will really shine. The whole game is clearly weighted toward Live competition; the more you play, the more titles and icons you unlock to show off to other people in the multi-player lobby. That's really no surprise since SF has always been about human competition, and Live is clearly the next evolution of player match-ups. We also liked the ability for anyone on our friends list to challenge us in the middle o our match-as if they walked up next to us in the arcade and dropped in a quarter.

Conclusion: It should make Capcom proud as well as every fighting gamer proud. Street Fighter IV says we can be trusted with our own legacy, that you can respect the past while living in the present day, and that sequels –even highly anticipated ones with a legion of passionate fans-don’t have to stink.

Race Pro 6.0
+High fidelity simulation and physics, especially if you hook up a steering wheel.
-Lifeless Career mode
-Baffling, pointless limations on race settings
? Did playing this game actually make us better drivers?

If the phrase "Racing Sim" summons an image of solemn, cave like space kited out with a high end wheel, multiple monitors and a cockpit(rather than chair)-and that counts as a good thing-you are so gonna love Race Pro. It's monk-like devotion to pure race simulation is remarkable.... and it kind of a turn off for the rest of us.

Race Pro would really benefit from just one ounce of sex appeal. But instead, the career mode i an unapologetically dry list of races-you're tasked with a series of events in Groups A-H. No rookie drivers with stars in their eyes, no fictional leagues to master....not even a garage like hub for fiddling with your unlocked cars. The cars and environments are equally austere, and the slowdown when your car goes off the track is disappointing. Race Pro isn't ugly per se, but it seems hellbent on impressing you with the handling of it's cars and nothing else.

In that, it shines Switch to the cockpit view and turn off all the assists and you're in for one demanding ride. It feels extremely authentic, and it's gratifying to master the proper line around a atrack and start clocking better lap times it handles like a dream using the 360 wireless wheel-the finer degree control over the throttel and steering pays off enormously.

But some perplexing decisions make it hard for mere mortals to master. The medium setting becomes pretty easy after a short while, but he hard setting requires you to turn off all the assists-which means you'll barely be able to drive in a straight line unless your last name is Andretti. Since the difficulty levels don't let you tweak the opponent AI skill in the career mode, most players will be stuck 17+ seconds in Semi Pro, or screaming in frustration at their inability to stop spinning out every 10 feet in Pro.

Actually, most run of the mill race fans who try this game probably won't stay long before returning to Forza or Grid. The 12 player Live races might grab you a night or two, and you should try the oddball co-op mode that lets two players take turns driving one car in a race just so you can marvel at how weird it is. But Race Pro is really aimed at the hearts of a rare few, and you know who you are.

R-Type Dimensions 7.5
Lips 7.5
Rise of the Argonauts 7.5

The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai 8.0
+Feels good, controls well, looks lovely.
+ Substantial number of modes and options
-You’re too easily lost amid the onscreen chaos.
? Will there be a Dishwasher: Dead Again Samurai? Hope so!

The Maw 7.0
Power Up Forever 8.0
Death Tank 6.0
Puzzle Arcade 7.5

Crystal Ball:

EA has a live enabled version of Monopoly on the way for this summer.
Want to play all four Left 4 Dead campaigns in versus mode? We shook the ball and it says imminent.
Former EA Chicago guys that Activision has signed up has taken over the Tony Hawk franchise, and that you will be able to play it with a skateboarding peripheral made by Red Octane.

Disc:

Demos:
Bolt
Lego Batman
Naruto: The Broken Bond
NCAA 09

XBLA Demos:
Portal
Super SPuzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
Wolf of the Battlefield: Commando 3

Vidoes:
Fear 2
Afro Samurai
Halo Wars

Gamer Pics
Fear 2

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Street Fight IV 9.5

:D

GQman2121

Banned
Jtyettis said:
Former EA Chicago guys that Activision has signed up has taken over the Tony Hawk franchise, and that you will be able to play it with a skateboarding peripheral made by Red Octane. .

I thought that was old news......either way, sounds pricey and not something people will jump at.

decon

akilshohen said:
I know it's probably been done, but damn SFIV reviewed so soon? Crazy.
Yeah same thought here. Probably just online stuff that they are on before release. Do they talk about online?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
dork said:
Brutal legend is the next overhyped game, just because some stupid ass hack actor is in it

wrong. it's hyped because it's made in part by the guy who wrote psychonauts and grim fandango, not because jack black is in it.

DrDogg said:
The only important thing about online in SF4 is the latency. We already know it's not using GGPO and any pre-release review won't tell us what it will be like when we get our hands on it.

100 journalists/devs online is not the same as 100,000+ gamers.

exactly... i already pre-ordered this (in capcom we trust) but i'm still a bit nervous about the netcode on such a large scale.

DrDogg

The only important thing about online in SF4 is the latency. We already know it's not using GGPO and any pre-release review won't tell us what it will be like when we get our hands on it.

100 journalists/devs online is not the same as 100,000+ gamers.

I don't know why... but it seems strange seeing The Dishwasher being reviewed by a mag. Probably just because of its XNA origins.

FrankT

This is what they state about online;

Online play is really where Street Fighter IV will really shine. The whole game is clearly weighted toward Live competition; the more you play, the more titles and icons you unlock to show off to other people in the multi-player lobby. That's really no surprise since SF has always been about human competition, and Live is clearly the next evolution of player match-ups. We also liked the ability for anyone on our friends list to challenge us in the middle o our match-as if they walked up next to us in the arcade and dropped in a quarter.

Race Pro 6.0
+High fidelity simulation and physics, especially if you hook up a steering wheel.
-Lifeless Career mode

:(

Still waiting for that demo Atari/Simbin.... hurry up lest I find solace in the 5 games lined up by the side of my 360.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
The Dishwasher reviewed? YES - that means that it must be on the way anytime now!

Psychotext said:
I don't know why... but it seems strange seeing The Dishwasher being reviewed by a mag. Probably just because of its XNA origins.

The contest the guy won with Dishwasher was for getting your game published as an XBLA title actually...

FrankT

Psychotext said:

It's actually a full on out XBLA title now IIRC. As I saw one PR from MS just this week listing it as one of the coming soon I believe.

The L4D news is great. Pretty predictable too. I just hope Turtle Rock and Valve serve up some new content as well at some point.

swander

Jtyettis said:
This is what they state about online;

Online play is really where Street Fighter IV will really shine. The whole game is clearly weighted toward Live competition; the more you play, the more titles and icons you unlock to show off to other people in the multi-player lobby. That's really no surprise since SF has always been about human competition, and Live is clearly the next evolution of player match-ups. We also liked the ability for anyone on our friends list to challenge us in the middle of our match-as if they walked up next to us in the arcade and dropped in a quarter.

I'm not normally one to comment on LOL VIDEOGAMES JOURNALISM but that reads like it was written by a fifth grader.

Can't wait for SFIV.

ToyMachine228 said:
The L4D news is great. Pretty predictable too. I just hope Turtle Rock and Valve serve up some new content as well at some point.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/56541

"We should be announcing that before Christmas, what the DLC is," said Faliszek in a Kotaku video podcast, seemingly recorded December 15. "The holidays aren't actually so much delaying it as the press guys--[marketing VP] Doug [Lombardi]'s been taking some time. We'll have an announcement shortly, I don't know exactly when."

Nothing announced yet though. Little bit late as usual because it's Valve.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
more details on the race pro review please. the +'s and -'s arent all that telling of how the game turned out.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Jtyettis said:
Brutal Legends: Pure awesome and win. That is all.

P.S. The pics are so good...

Yeah, pics are awesome. I cant wait for this game. After SFIV it's my most anticipated. Tim Freaking Schaefer!

Street Fight IV 9.5

FUCK YEAH!

biuonk.jpg

Race Pro 6.0
-Lifeless Career mode

DANG. :(

armubaba said:
I'm still trying to pick between the PS3 and 360 version of SF4. Decisions, decisions.
I'm sure visually they will both be he same, plus the PS3 version will have trophies (obviously 360 will have achievements). I mean, this is really the same as GTA, pick the one that your friends will be playing on.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Blu_LED said:
I'm sure visually they will both be he same, plus the PS3 version will have trophies (obviously 360 will have achievements). I mean, this is really the same as GTA, pick the one that your friends will be playing on.

360 for me no doubt. Getting that 6 button pad for sfiv...I know it's wired but I sit right in front of my tv.

ChrisGoldstein said:
360 for me no doubt. Getting that 6 button pad for sfiv...I know it's wired but I sit right in front of my tv.
Yeah I think I'm gonna get the pad for PS3. I don't want (or need) the stick. I already have too much shit in my basement. (Two drums, 3 guitars, 8 controllers, the Wii wheel, not to mention all the games, Tv and systems)

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
We also liked the ability for anyone on our friends list to challenge us in the middle of our match-as if they walked up next to us in the arcade and dropped in a quarter.

Love it.

I'll be going the 360 version... Not going to risk the online component. I hope the game is good on PSN though.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
badrockjones said:
Please, please, please let Brutal Legend not suck and sell well.

It's got Jack Black and its going to be heavily promoted on MTV. It should sell well.

Top Bottom