• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OXM Rumors: Perfect Dark 2 set for Fall 2011, No Slim at E3 (Rollout with Natal).

FrankT

Just got my new OXM (July issue US). Here is what the rumor section states;

With Gears of War 3 out in April 2011, what will Microsoft have for holiday 2011? The Ball sees a redheaded girl in a spandex suit. … A slimmer, redesigned 360 to be revealed at E3? Don’t bet on it until the fall, when it’s part of the Project Natal rollout. Expecting a 360 dashboard redesign to accompany Project Natal? Don’t hold your breath, says the ball.

I've been wondering what they might put in that slot since no Halo(at least from Bungie) and no Gears. Here is hoping we get to see some Rare titles at E3.

Oh yea this gives me hope for another Kameo. Weren’t both of these games said to be canned?

PSGames

LunarAura said:
People still care about perfect dark? I'm not trolling, serious question.

PDZ was a million seller and PD XBLA sold quite a bit.

I hope they release a teaser of some sort at E3 :D

Pooya

Hopefully it's outsourced, current RARE isn't capable of making FPS games, I like to see something like Nuts and Bolts from RARE instead.

lupinko

YuriLowell said:
Wii Sports clones out the ass at e3.

20ibkn.jpg

would be dumb to announce a slim 360 in june if it launches in september/october. it would hamper potential sales from june to the slim launch.

goldenpp72

Would love a new PD, fuck the pdz haters, as crap as the aesthetics were, it had amazing core gameplay that is unmatched today on a console.

Cobra84

LunarAura said:
If it takes the gameplay, art style from the original and the netcode from Zero, then yes.

miladesn said:
Hopefully it's outsourced, current RARE isn't capable of making FPS games, I like to see something like Nuts and Bolts from RARE instead.
The XBLA team did a good enough job. They understand Perfect Dark gameplay better than Rare did in Zero.

Dabanton

LunarAura said:

I do.

The potential is there to make an awesome slightly different FPS game PD0 showed small snippets of what could be when it plays up more of the spy angle rather than out and out blasting.

Plus Rare are awesome.

Edit: With Rare's mastery of the 360 a new PD0 is incredibly exciting.

KingJ2002

new perfect dark? nice... i can imagine perfect dark being converted to play with Natal

man... im sick of calling this thing natal... is there any news of an official name yet?

FrankT

KingJ2002 said:
new perfect dark? nice... i can imagine perfect dark being converted to play with Natal

man... im sick of calling this thing natal... is there any news of an official name yet?

Wii HD(save the controller). Ooops Sorry Pachter. :lol

Peff

Nintex vindicated! Made too much sense though. Let's hope it's up to snuff.

EDIT: The 2007 prototypes were canned, but the Perfect Dark one evolved from there to a different shooter (also cancelled). I guess if this is true it was a newer project that depended on the success of the XBLA port.

I honestly don't see a slim 360 coming out. Is this rumor all but confirmed? Honest question here.

This is what I think we're going to see: a new IP from Rare, playable Fable 3, playable Halo: Reach MP, playable Gears of War, etc. And yeah, the Natal show is probably going to be just that: a show, what with all the Cirque Du Soleil thing. It's probably even going to have a minigame tie in of sorts: Cirque Du Natal or something.

goldenpp72

I didn't expect a 360 slim to be announced in june and then release in october, but I do expect we'll see one. Ms is selling fine without it for now, no need to hurt their sales. I expect some kind of price drop to liquidate current xbox as well.

FrankT

FunkyPajamas said:
I honestly don't see a slim 360 coming out. Is this rumor all but confirmed? Honest question here.

This is what I think we're going to see: a new IP from Rare, playable Fable 3, playable Halo: Reach MP, playable Gears of War, etc. And yeah, the Natal show is probably going to be just that: a show, what with all the Cirque Du Soleil thing. It's probably even going to have a minigame tie in of sorts: Cirque Du Natal or something.

Those shots of the redesigned motherboard out of China say it's a fairly good bet at this point.

Prine

Banned
YES YES YES!!! If i had a wish list of thing i want for 360, what OXM has stated would be it!

They're talking about PD2 in a mainstream publication, thats enough for me to get excited!

Pooya

FunkyPajamas said:

There is a board that we all have seen and it's legit, it's like 33% smaller and GPU and CPU are combined, it's definitely going to be smaller.

Shiggy

Cobra84 said:
If it takes the gameplay, art style from the original and the netcode from Zero, then yes.

The XBLA team did a good enough job. They understand Perfect Dark gameplay better than Rare did in Zero.

I wonder who's still left from the original PD team.
Chris Tilston
Jon Mummery
Keith Rabbette
+ the audio guys
Anybody else?

Peff

goldenpp72 said:
Didn't rare just open up a studio of like 100 new devs to work on natal?

It sounded more like testing and focus groups than actually programming, because they didn't have enough space in Twycross. But Rare is a big company, surely they can develop one "normal" game alongside the Natal stuff.

Redd

LunarAura said:

I do. Just beat Perfect remake and would love to see Joanna come back for a third game. With coop of course.

adelante

Kinda makes sense to hold back on revealing the slim360 at this point to not put off potential 360 sales up until then...

miladesn said:

i think it's a bit early to say current rare isnt capable of making FPS games considering they have only released one FPS that had potential, and was most likely rushed for the 360 launch. I didn't care for PDZ much, but many people loved the MP and even enjoyed the sp despite it's flaws.

Prine

Banned
Shiggy said:
I wonder who's still left from the original PD team.
Chris Tilston
Jon Mummery
Keith Rabbette
+ the audio guys
Anybody else?

Who knows who they've hired since. The guys behind Viva were new talent where they not?

donny2112

Drinking Hatorade said:
they have only released one FPS that had potential, and was most likely rushed for the 360 launch.

"Rushed" through two consoles and five years. I guess that probably is "rushed" for old RARE, though.

Edit:
I don't really have any confidence in new RARE making a worthy sequel to Perfect Dark 64. An outsourced team who loved the way Goldeneye/Perfect Dark were made and would want to bring SP and MP (PD-only) type setup to the current gen would be the best choice. 4J did good port jobs, but I don't know what they could do with a new game.

szaromir

Banned
Dabanton said:
Lets hope for everyones sake that Rare have replaced the frankly freakish models they used for PD0. :lol
I imagine the game would have both a new engine and art design. And I hope they indeed announce the game at E3.

Peff

I do.

The potential is there to make an awesome slightly different FPS game PD0 showed small snippets of what could be when it plays up more of the spy angle rather than out and out blasting.

Plus Rare are awesome.

I do. Just beat Perfect remake and would love to see Joanna come back for a third game. With coop of course.

b4xgl3.png

Prine

Banned
donny2112 said:
"Rushed" through two consoles and five years. I guess that probably is "rushed" for old RARE, though.

Look what you wrote, 2 consoles over the span of 5 years. That is development hell. They probably had to reboot their game twice, i think i read they only had a little more than a year with PDZ 360.

donny2112

Prine said:
They probably had to reboot their game twice,

Oh, yeah. The cartoon Joanna. They should make something with that. Remake a level with those graphics as a bonus or something.

Prine said:
i think i read they only had a little more than a year with PDZ 360.

If that's the case, then they did pretty good for a year's worth of work. :lol

TheOddOne

Nintex wakes up

Gets a cup of coffee, checks some newssites and finally checks out GAF.

He'll be browsing, nothing intresting and bam he read this thread title.

Wil he a) skeet skeet b) beats it or c) Watches Chuck finale.

The only thing that excites me about a PD2 is seeing what visuals Rare are able to push out the 360. Providing of course they go for realistic/brown filter type of graphics :p

I's jump for joy at a new Nuts and Bolts or Kameo. :D

Jtyettis said:
Those shots of the redesigned motherboard out of China say it's a fairly good bet at this point.
miladesn said:
There is a board that we all have seen and it's legit, it's like 33% smaller and GPU and CPU are combined, it's definitely going to be smaller.
Thank you. I remember seeing the shots but I wasn't aware they were the real deal. I've been waiting for a price drop on the 360 to finally get one (third world country, they still go for about U$400 here), so if the slim comes with a price drop and is a more reliable piece of hardware I can see myself finally owning all three current gen consoles. :) Alan Wake here I come!

Top Bottom