• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OXM (US) To Offer Itself On XBLM For 200 Points ($2.50)

That includes video content, galleries and (wait for it) exclusive demos.

The Scoop

But there's more, and I suspect this bit will be the most interesting and controversial element: "And yes, OXM Digital also sports exclusive demos. Yes, demos." Reyes goes on: "Its cost? A pithy 200 Microsoft Points ($2.50)." There's lots more info about it from Senior Editor Dan Amrich in an Xbox.com forum post (scroll down), and he explains of the concept that there will be exclusive demos alongside the videos, themes, gamer pictures, etc:

"If you're a disc person, you get your disc as you always have, and the demo in question will be on there. If you are a Marketplace person, you get your download. It's whichever version works better for you, but you don't have to miss out when we get exclusive demos like Katamari Damacy or Eternal Sonata or whatever. (Corporate hat on: I cannot confirm any specific demos that will appear in OXM Digital at this time. OXMD #1 is close to release but not there yet.)"

Much much more in the lovely piece by our friends at Game Set Watch.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2007/07/oxm_digital_to_vault_onto_xbox.php
"Sometime late this month (July) we're kicking off a project on Xbox Live Marketplace called OXM Digital... Think of it as a digital digest of our mag, but with lots of exclusive interactive content, including gamer pics, themes, videos, galleries... stuff we can't do in print."

But there's more, and I suspect this bit will be the most interesting and controversial element: "And yes, OXM Digital also sports exclusive demos. Yes, demos." Reyes goes on: "Its cost? A pithy 200 Microsoft Points ($2.50)." There's lots more info about it from Senior Editor Dan Amrich in an Xbox.com forum post (scroll down), and he explains of the concept that there will be exclusive demos alongside the videos, themes, gamer pictures, etc:

"If you're a disc person, you get your disc as you always have, and the demo in question will be on there. If you are a Marketplace person, you get your download. It's whichever version works better for you, but you don't have to miss out when we get exclusive demos like Katamari Damacy or Eternal Sonata or whatever. (Corporate hat on: I cannot confirm any specific demos that will appear in OXM Digital at this time. OXMD #1 is close to release but not there yet.)"

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Bleh, you need a more controversial thread title. Like paying 200 points for "exclusive" demos.

Which happens first. OXM demos or Xbox Live demos. if its OXM demos which come first then i guess the price is justified , else we can just get the free demos

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
thats awesome. cant wait to dl the inevitable halo 3 cover story. sure beats the 7 or 8 buck price at the newsstand

AltogetherAndrews said:
Let me guess, they are going to make demos exclusive to OXM again, and thus, in a roundabout way, finally get people to pay for demos on XBL.

Wow. That's actually believable.

Makes sense to me. You know some suckers will pony up the extra points just to play a demo of a game early. No different than what's happening now with the physical magazine disc. I support this idea.

jet1911

2.50 is better than the price we pay for the mag over here. If the content is worth it I don't see where's the problem.

op_ivy said:
thats awesome. cant wait to dl the inevitable halo 3 cover story. sure beats the 7 or 8 buck price at the newsstand

I kind of agree. I would rather pay 2.50 for a Beautiful Katamari demo than the 10.00 I'll be spending on the way home.

20070718.jpg

I do like OXM, but it would put an end to this phenomenon...

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
No one is paying for demoes. You paying for a digital magazine with features which happen to include to an exclusive demo on occasion.

Jube3

I3rand0 said:
Paying for demos. Now this is living.

Its not a bad idea for the people who would go out and buy the magazine just for one demo like eternal sonata. This will save em like 5 bucks or so. Although if all of a sudden OXM Live starts nailing exclusive after exclusive its gonna start to really suck lol.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
When was the last good OXM disc, though?

I don't remember one. And they have very few exclusive demos, and they always appear on Marketplace, anyway.

watership

If the demos that are coming often and free, start populating the OXM side of things, I'm going to be massively pissed.

I can imagine Microsoft sitting around after the Nintendo Power channel rumour. Saying "lets do that" and Nintendo is so lax with channel infastructure that they've been beaten to it, had the rumours been true.

The End

Did anyone go out and pay for OXM just for the Eternal Sonata demo?

Didn't they just grab it off the jp marketplace like everyone else with an internet connection?

I3rand0

Jube3 said:
Its not a bad idea for the people who would go out and buy the magazine just for one demo like eternal sonata. This will save em like 5 bucks or so. Although if all of a sudden OXM Live starts nailing exclusive after exclusive its gonna start to really suck lol.
Depends on if its timed exclusive or not. I guess I'd be a little bitter paying for a demo that a lot people downloaded for free back a few months ago.

The End said:
Did anyone go out and pay for OXM just for the Eternal Sonata demo?

Didn't they just grab it off the jp marketplace like everyone else with an internet connection?

I did. And I'm buying the Beautiful Katamari demo on the way home today.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
cjelly said:
But it's still available. Anyone with half an ounce of sense could get it.

The casual X360 gamer might not know though. The only way one can figure this out is if they scour the internets for news like we do.

If the OXM issue was up online, they may assume this is the only way to grab the demo.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
BenjaminBirdie said:
I already posted the legendary OXM Penny Arcade in the other one.

:(

BETRAYED BY ITS OWN MAKER.

Thread merged and yours came up on top. YOU WIN THE PRIZE.

Kabuki Waq said:
so just an excuse to pay for demos that use to be free now?

These demos were never free. Trust me, I've paid for tons of them. The first Forza, FF XI, Eternal Sonata, Beautiful Katamari in a few hours....

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Dani said:
No one is paying for demoes. You paying for a digital magazine with features which happen to include to an exclusive demo on occasion.

truth. but this is gaf and we're talking about M$, so *popcorn.gif

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Kabuki Waq said:
The OXM stuff has always been separate to the Marketplace stuff (but has eventually found it's way to Marketplace, and vice-versa).

I don't think the price will make any difference because it'll all be going to Future.

neptunes

Kabuki Waq said:
No, just for the odd demo or two that appeared on OXM before the marketplace.

I remember buying my 1st(and only) copy of OXM just to get the FFXI beta.

Top Bottom