• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oxymoron - ScHoolboy Q |OT| "Tell Kendrick move from the throne, I came for it"

Status
Not open for further replies.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Let's just take a minute to analyze Nothing Was The Same, for what it is. It's one of the most melodic and musical hip hop albums of last year, progressive and complex in all the right ways. It makes Take Care, which I hold as a classic next to XXX and GKMC, seem trite and unsophisticated.

First to note is the production. Many of the songs on NWTS, such as Tuscan Leather, are clear call backs to chipmunk soul era beats, but they have progression that make them so much more than the soul loops that plagued that era. The sample is literally deconstructed throughout the song. Many of the songs sound distant, eerie with layered synths and VERY tight trap esque drums. The best produced song on NWTS is Worst Behavior. Worst Behavior is the best song of 2013, across all genres, and a generation defining song. In it's production, from the percussion, to the zooming synth in the background, and the sparingly placed vocal samples.

But besides the production, more importantly, is Drake. The production would be a step towards the right direction to helping hip hop move forward, but for Drake? This is his life's soundtrack, at this moment. He is in a place no one can sympathize with. He is where Jay Z is now, at the young age of his late 20's. He's learning life while literally being one of the most successful men in his craft. No one is touching Drake money while maintaining his sense of responsibility. Drake is so confessional but comes with so much attitude. NWTS is Drake's control response, fuck any verse. Every song is an anthem. Every hook is masterfully crafted. Drake speaks to a generation.

black-guy-laughing-o.gif

charlie_murphy_laughing.gif

laughter.gif

03704fdc_2AFD7132-18A1-45BC-9FCF-7129E0D29335_zps7ipf6lag.gif

MauryLaughing.gif

mj-laughing.gif

That was good laugh mang.

mooooose

Drake's an established hip hop artist. Kendrick is not. Oxymoron has pulled back the curtain on TDE being infallible, after the successful string of releases in 2012 that were powerful enough to carry them through 2013.

Cudder

what the fuck is going on in here. kendrick not an established hip hop artist. OKAY.

edit: oh, I thought this was gaf hop. carry on. couldn't care less if you shit up this thread, it will blend in nicely with the impressions of the album.

overcast

Think NWTS proved that there were some problems with Drake. Step down after Take Care. We'll see about TDE. Think they're fine though. People always drop albums that don't live up to the hype.

Esch

Banned
Let's just take a minute to analyze Nothing Was The Same, for what it is. It's one of the most melodic and musical hip hop albums of last year, progressive and complex in all the right ways. It makes Take Care, which I hold as a classic next to XXX and GKMC, seem trite and unsophisticated.

First to note is the production. Many of the songs on NWTS, such as Tuscan Leather, are clear call backs to chipmunk soul era beats, but they have progression that make them so much more than the soul loops that plagued that era. The sample is literally deconstructed throughout the song. Many of the songs sound distant, eerie with layered synths and VERY tight trap esque drums. The best produced song on NWTS is Worst Behavior. Worst Behavior is the best song of 2013, across all genres, and a generation defining song. In it's production, from the percussion, to the zooming synth in the background, and the sparingly placed vocal samples.

But besides the production, more importantly, is Drake. The production would be a step towards the right direction to helping hip hop move forward, but for Drake? This is his life's soundtrack, at this moment. He is in a place no one can sympathize with. He is where Jay Z is now, at the young age of his late 20's. He's learning life while literally being one of the most successful men in his craft. No one is touching Drake money while maintaining his sense of responsibility. Drake is so confessional but comes with so much attitude. NWTS is Drake's control response, fuck any verse. Every song is an anthem. Every hook is masterfully crafted. Drake speaks to a generation.

Please, please never get medicated so we can keep enjoying delusional, femotional posts like this. Every time I think you've written something so monumentally stupid, you manage to top it. This is your Mona Lisa. You've finally managed to supplant your "the clipse has four 5 mic albums" post. Your dickriding and hopping is so disgusting and shameless, I've never seen anything like it before.

JohnDoe

Banned

Put the crackpipe down.

mooooose

Please, please never get medicated so we can keep enjoying delusional, femotional posts like this. Every time I think you've written something so monumentally stupid, you manage to top it. This is your Mona Lisa. You've finally managed to supplant your "the clipse has four 5 mic albums" post. Your dickriding and hopping is so disgusting and shameless, I've never seen anything like it before.

LMAO bruh those are some strong words

Esch

Banned
What did you guys think of NWTS anyway? I guess I can dig up your posts in the OT, but I'm too lazy.
dope singles but the rest of the songs are shameless knockoffs of Dipset, Jay or Ye. the whole album is bitter, veiled shots at Kendrick, hip hop purists, and the women that decided to sleep with him. A good listen will give you all the salt you need for the day. It's like Blueprint 2 with a dash of Taylor Swift.

What did you guys think of NWTS anyway? I guess I can dig up your posts in the OT, but I'm too lazy.

Not as charmin toilet papery as Take Care but still same old Drake.
A step up from Take Care on a lyrical level though. Was actually pretty hyped, after 5am in Toronto and a couple of his "harder" (loosely using that term) tracks debuted, but the album didn't really follow that theme. (nor did 5am in Toronto even make the cut smh)
Decent album, the best of his catalogue so far. Doesn't mean it's great though.

edit: ^worse than Take Care?

Kwixotik

It says something about oxymoron that we are now 100% talking about Drake

I will never like Drake or any of his music, really. I can't articulate why but I think I just can't relate to him on any level.

PlayDat

How many of y'all would say the album is worth buying? I don't really fuck with leaks and blacked out on most of the singles released ahead of the album. I was ready cop this off Amazon on Tuesday, but these impressions have me on the fence. I liked Setbacks and HnC quite a bit.

mooooose

How many of y'all would say the album is worth buying? I don't really fuck with leaks and blacked out on most of the singles released ahead of the album. I was ready cop this off Amazon on Tuesday, but these impressions have me on the fence. I liked Setbacks and HnC quite a bit.

The singles are all pretty awesome. The deluxe tracks might be good. The tracks that aren't singles, besides Hoover Street and Prescription/Oxymoron are literally garbage tier.

4l7.gif

PlayDat

The singles are all pretty awesome. The deluxe tracks might be good. The tracks that aren't singles, besides Hoover Street and Prescription/Oxymoron are literally garbage tier.

Damn. I may still end up getting the album somewhere down the line. Thread's showing me where to set my expectations.

Cudder

guys i just threw on the album for the first time i will let u guys know what i thiiinklwernafg nwerioaoawierhfgrewagargareg

NewFresh

Well that was a disappointing commute home. The entire album has three solid tracks.

Hands on the Wheel
Collard Greens
Prescription/Oxymoron

That's it...and I was already tired of Hands on the Wheel a year ago.

Courage

Well that was a disappointing commute home. The entire album has three solid tracks.

Hands on the Wheel
Collard Greens
Prescription/Oxymoron

That's it...and I was already tired of Hands on the Wheel a year ago.

Hands on the Wheel isn't on the album, that's H&C.

Kusagari

I don't even think the singles are that great. Q excels at stuff like Hands on the Wheel and There He Go. It was songs like that which actually had me thinking Q could have real mainstream success, because they showed that Q has, or had, a knack for extremely catchy bangers.

There's nothing on here that approaches that level. Even stuff like Man of the Year, which seems like it's trying to be the same style as those, fails miserably.

iavi

Just add champagne papi. my bae. beside me through those dark nights at the start of this post along with some random selfie of aubrey and you'd have yourself a first-class instagram post.

big ander

yo but what if I really like NWTS and Oxy and think they're about even

Really What They Want is the only real dud track to me, just not a good Chainz verse. and I was dreading The Purge and wound up stunned, because it's not amazing but it's pretty damn great. when ttc sticks to hook and beat he's pretty unbeatable, I'll stick to that. Wolf's problem wasn't the beats, it was the...everything else

Best songs though are Prescription/Oxy, Hoover Street, Break the Bank, MOTY. Hell of a Night and Blind threats and studio and Los Awesome are all great too. Guess I'm not even counting Collard Greens since it's been a single for so long, but fuck if I don't love that spanish part of k.'s verse every time. Overall it's on the level of Habits for me: not an AOTY, but really damn good and replayable.

Just listened to the standard tracks. I thought it was solid as a collection of songs but as an album it doesn't feel cohesive. Some tracks feel like they don't belong on the album, some feel misplaced and some feel like they were leftover features from other rapper's mixtapes (What They Want) It didn't blow me away but I enjoyed it. If I had to use a 10 point scale I'd give it around a 6.5.
Track By Track:
01. Gangsta: YAWK YAWK GANGSTA GANGSTA! I plan on terrorizing my tiny suburb with this record.
02. Los Awesome (feat. Jay Rock): Stands out on the album but not in the best way. Didn't totally hate it but neither of them impressed me on it.
03. Collard Greens (feat. Kendrick Lamar): Loved this track since it came out last year
04. What They Want (feat. 2 Chainz): Ehh lyrically but doesn't bother me, this will sound great in my car.
05. Hoover Street: Okay track, didn't hate it but it didn't blow me away. Would probably be better if they cut off the adlibs from the intro
06. Studio (feat. BJ The Chicago Kid): I can't front, I like these types of tracks. Once again, it will probably sound great in my car.
07. Prescription/Oxymoron: I liked both tracks a lot. Q actually lets you in on the first half, probably one of the few times I actually actively paid attention to the lyrics along with Hoover Street, Blind Threats. The second half kills.
08. The Purge (feat. Tyler, The Creator & Kurupt): *blows raspberry*
09. Blind Threats (feat. Raekwon): Great jazzy beat. Solid rhymes. Nothing extra.
10. Hell of A Night: Sonic whiplash from the last track, kind of weird arrangement to put this track here. Obvious single record but once again...I can drive to this.
11. Break The Bank: Fucking love this record, I was expecting a lot more tracks like this in first place.
12. Man Of The Year: For some reason I wasn't too crazy about this record buts grown om me this past month. Its a good closer for the album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom