• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

P.T. has been datamined (hidden enemies revealed)

Enjoying a demo is one thing. Obsessing over a demo for the simple reason that it's no longer available is another.

I agree, even as someone who adores silent hill it was a nice surprise that's taken on a life of its own because it'll never be, but it was incredibly limited and hardly something worth going back to after playing through it.

Interesting in a historical point of view but ultimately it was just a demo.

tearsofash

You can buy PS4s with PT on them for pretty cheap on ebay. Not sure for how long though.

The lowest is like 199, and the highest is 10,000.

KyleCross

Oh shit, you're right! I completely forgot about that. The people compiling the models also commented on the size of Norman's model, so it may not actually be the in-game model you control but his pre-rendered cutscene model you see in the Silent Hills teaser. Really interesting that the game contains models that were only used in pre-rendered media.

Alx

I Was thinking about data mining and how it wasn't a thing on PS4 the other day. I had imagined PT was one they'd like to get into.
Maybe the RE7 demo pre patch would've been interesting too

I'm taking the opportunity to bicker about a pet peeve of mine : I wish people stopped calling that data mining. Data mining is analyzing huge amount of data to identify trends, not reverse-engineering encrypted data to find hidden content.

Fhtagn

This reminds me, I've been wondering:

If I have a PS4 with PT on it, can I upgrade the hard drive size and transfer P.T. to it, or am I stuck on 500gb until the drive dies?

Similar question about moving to a pro.

NastyBook

Seriously, thanks for nothing, Konami.

If I have a PS4 with PT on it, can I upgrade the hard drive size and transfer P.T. to it, or am I stuck on 500gb until the drive dies?

Back up your current HDD onto a USB, then install that onto the new HDD.

KyleCross

I'm taking the opportunity to bicker about a pet peeve of mine : I wish people stopped calling that data mining. Data mining is analyzing huge amount of data to identify trends, not reverse-engineering encrypted data to find hidden content.

I apologize. I have always seen it called that, I was unaware that it isn't the correct term.

Alx

I apologize. I have always seen it called that, I was unaware that it isn't the correct term.

I guessed so, and most people wouldn't know until someone says it. That's why I took the liberty of mentioning it, even if I sound a bit pedantic in the process. :p

I'm more interested somebody cracked the filesystem of PS4 games. Wonder how long it will take Xbox One to get there (I imagine a lot of that involves reverse engineering Windows itself though and less people are working on cracking the system anyway)

I agree, it never has any context or weight to it.

It was a demo and it had plenty of context to it. It was a teaser for a game, of course they weren't going to go all out with story and background. That being said, it is overwhelmingly viewed as a landmark horror experience in the video game medium. A couple of people on Neogaf thinking otherwise doesn't change this.

KuL5nil.gif

Can you believe, after looking at this, that there are still people doubting that Video Games are art?

Does that mean there are still hidden secrets in the demo to be found or those are unused models? Then why do they exist ?

Pandy

The internet is the greatest thing ever.
I was actually thinking something similar when watching this. :)

There's something about the way we can communicate through stuff like this, that is both completely bananas and yet touchingly human at the same time. I almost felt like this was what Kojima had in mind.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Enjoying a demo is one thing. Obsessing over a demo for the simple reason that it's no longer available is another.

Did you miss the period of time when it was still avaliable, being downloaded by millions, stirring up a ton of discussion on GAF and being nominated for game of the year awards, despite being a demo?

Man I wish I had a PS4 when this came out. So much about this game interests me.
I love PT. I played the crap out of it. I also love walking simulators, fully consider them to be 'games' but I balk at calling PT a game. I barely even consider it a demo. there's just not enough to it.

I love PT. I played the crap out of it. I also love walking simulators, fully consider them to be 'games' but I balk at calling PT a game. I barely even consider it a demo. there's just not enough to it.
This only hurts that much more. I've watched it on YouTube a few times and showed my brother and we were both excited for the full release thennnnnn.... Konami lol

RedHill

Banned
Agree. Every time I see a post to the effect of "I want to change my PS4 but don't want to lose my beloved PT demo", my eyes practically roll out of their sockets.
Everytime I see something along the lines of "a lot of people like this so I'm gonna bait with my counter opinion while adding a touch of superiority" my eyes do the same thing my dude

It was a demo and it had plenty of context to it. It was a teaser for a game, of course they weren't going to go all out with story and background. That being said, it is overwhelmingly viewed as a landmark horror experience in the video game medium. A couple of people on Neogaf thinking otherwise doesn't change this.

I would suggest looking into the context of what you quoted ;D I was saying the term "overrated" is rarely followed with context

Everytime I see something along the lines of "a lot of people like this so I'm gonna bait with my counter opinion while adding a touch of superiority" my eyes do the same thing my dude
Basically this. It's hilarious watching peeps trip over themselves to let everyone know how overrated they think PT is.

Like ok? Thanks for letting us know in the data mining thread I guess?

Right up there with the "quit facebook X years ago and never looked back" posts in threads that happen to be about facebook.

Skittles

datamining ps4 games(some, i'm not sure all) has been possible for awhile now. The Black Ops 3 DLC zombie maps were all datamined within a week of release.

Vuze

Totally missed this happening. The best news for all the PT guys out there probably is that the backup of the game seems to be working on hacked consoles without license. So PT is saved or whatever :p

notacat

Pretty awesome.

So, if you downloaded PT originally, you got the auth drm token to play it, so you can re-install a backup copy to play it, as i understand it.

Wish someone could crack the drm tokens on ps4 so those of us who missed the download of PT could still play it. Of course, if that got cracked, sony would have much bigger problems than people enjoying the PT demo.

It's a fantastic way to reveal a game, but I don't think it holds up very well as a game in and of itself.

See, I don't care that it's just a demo. PT is one of the best games I ever played. I've replayed it several times. It pretty much explored and defined everything I want the horror genre to be. It's also one of the most influential games of the generation, so there's that.

This is more interesting for me in the sense that games can be datamined. It's really good for preservation and will be amazing when things like the Duscae and Judgment demos get torn apart because of where both were in terms of the full game's development.

They could be on the levels of the Chrono Trigger Prototype for cut and changed content and that's super exciting to me.

See, I don't care that it's just a demo. PT is one of the best games I ever played. I've replayed it several times. It pretty much explored and defined everything I want the horror genre to be. It's also one of the most influential games of the generation, so there's that.

How do you finish it? I've never cared enough to get to the end

I believe it's easy to migrate. If not you can just refownload it if you have it on your account, via the proxy method.

Daffy Duck

What an interesting thing to see.

This was the best game reveal I have seen, and it's a shame we never got the game.

You can buy PS4s with PT on them for pretty cheap on ebay. Not sure for how long though.

The lowest is like 199, and the highest is 10,000.

Time to sell my 20th Anniversary Console with P.T on then.

Top Bottom