• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

P.T. has been datamined (hidden enemies revealed)

KyleCross

Totally missed this happening. The best news for all the PT guys out there probably is that the backup of the game seems to be working on hacked consoles without license. So PT is saved or whatever :p
As far as I know the PS4 isn't hacked yet. PS4 games could always be extracted via online servers and stuff.

Does that mean there are still hidden secrets in the demo to be found or those are unused models? Then why do they exist ?

Unused models, and they exist probably because they were going to be used in the final game.

Demos aren't created in a vacuum, they are *usually* vertical slices of their development environment, then curtailed to be played a very specific way. What happens is that because you are almost certainly working on more than just what's in a demo, that parts of other things you're working on get left in. Sometimes it's an extra model, sometimes it's left overs from a previous game, sometimes it's an entire episode of south park.

-shadow-

Demos aren't created in a vacuum, they are *usually* vertical slices of their development environment, then curtailed to be played a very specific way. What happens is that because you are almost certainly working on more than just what's in a demo, that parts of other things you're working on get left in. Sometimes it's an extra model, sometimes it's left overs from a previous game, sometimes it's an entire episode of south park.

What the... Well that's one way to fill the disc!

Unused models, and they exist probably because they were going to be used in the final game.

And sometimes it's literally references to all the data of the final game, revealing all the content that's going to be there on launch and often even possible future DLC XD

Vuze

As far as I know the PS4 isn't hacked yet. PS4 games could always be extracted via online servers and stuff.
Not for the public, no. The packages you can download from the PSN servers obviously need to be decrypted appropriately first.

It's very good to see progress in the scene even though it's still limited to 1.76.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
How long till someone ports P.T. To the PC using MSGV?

Depends on how long it takes to port the maps and textures over without bugs. I mean it's possible since they're both on the Fox Engine but requires work.

I'm not really a fan of data mining. It feels like the people who break into a musician's house to grab unreleased songs. You're taking away the artist's control over their work. Just because a digital format allows people to do it more easily and with less consequences doesn't make it more acceptable (to me).

I'm not really a fan of data mining. It feels like the people who break into a musician's house to grab unreleased songs. You're taking away the artist's control over their work. Just because a digital format allows people to do it more easily and with less consequences doesn't make it more acceptable (to me).

No, breaking into the development studio and stealing their hard drives would be like that. You send it out into the world, you should expect this to happen. What a weird stance.

yophlow

Banned
P.T. is one of my favourite games of all time. Just that alone had pretty much everything I've ever wanted in a horror game. And it may as well be considered a standalone game now.

Like, I get that P.T. was kind of neat, and showed a lot of promise for how Silent Hills was going to be. But it was one hallway where a bunch of weird stuff that made no sense happened, and you saw a scary ghost face a couple of times. One of your favourite games of all time, really?

Piers

No, breaking into the development studio and stealing their hard drives would be like that. You send it out into the world, you should expect this to happen. What a weird stance.

I'm fine with data mining after retail release. However I presume some studios are weird with demos for this reason, at least partly; they don't want surprises being spoilt.

I can at least recall this was the case for Sonic Generations.

Modern game development makes it pretty hard to silo content when releasing a demo. Stuff you don't want revealed is going to make it in there just due to time constraints and code complexity. I don't think it's much different than hacking a studio's server; it's not like companies intentionally want to spoil their surprises and plans by including assets and code in this way.

Piers

Modern game development makes it pretty hard to silo content when releasing a demo. Stuff you don't want revealed is going to make it in there just due to time constraints and code complexity. I don't think it's much different than hacking a studio's server; it's not like companies intentionally want to spoil their surprises and plans by including assets and code in this way.

Speaking of which, didn't one or two people attempt to download the Breath of the Wild demo during the New York event?

Symphonia

Banned
From terrifying...

They've also swapped Snake for Norman Reedus in MGSV's final cutscene. Spoilers, obviously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsoVXYF3Frw
...to brilliant...

KuL5nil.gif
...to downright beautiful.

Like, I get that P.T. was kind of neat, and showed a lot of promise for how Silent Hills was going to be. But it was one hallway where a bunch of weird stuff that made no sense happened, and you saw a scary ghost face a couple of times. One of your favourite games of all time, really?

When you consider how the horror game genre has evolved, P.T. was incredibly unique and extremely effective. Saying "it was one hallway with a bunch of weird stuff" is like saying Grand Theft Auto "is just a city with some cars in it" or that Mario "is just some fat guy who jumps around while high."

It's possibly one of the most reductive things you could say.

It's most interesting to look at the indie space -- after countless Slenderman clones, and then countless Five Nights at Freddy's clones, once P.T. came out, it captured that same kind of audience. That lead to games like Allison Road and even Capcom's own Resident Evil 7.

It was an undeniable paradigm shift in the genre of horror games. Effective psychological horror on a level that doesn't require you to read a guide to understand "what Pyramid Head symbolizes."

It also created a sense of community, almost like Dark Souls, from people trying to figure out how the thing worked. What actions flip what triggers, and how to reach the deliberately obfuscated "ending" sequence.

And all of that just from a "hallway with some weird stuff and a scary face" demo.

yophlow

Banned
When you consider how the horror game genre has evolved, P.T. was incredibly unique and extremely effective. Saying "it was one hallway with a bunch of weird stuff" is like saying Grand Theft Auto "is just a city with some cars in it" or that Mario "is just some fat guy who jumps around while high."

It's possibly one of the most reductive things you could say.

It's most interesting to look at the indie space -- after countless Slenderman clones, and then countless Five Nights at Freddy's clones, once P.T. came out, it captured that same kind of audience. That lead to games like Allison Road and even Capcom's own Resident Evil 7.

It was an undeniable paradigm shift in the genre of horror games. Effective psychological horror on a level that doesn't require you to read a guide to understand "what Pyramid Head symbolizes."

It also created a sense of community, almost like Dark Souls, from people trying to figure out how the thing worked. What actions flip what triggers, and how to reach the deliberately obfuscated "ending" sequence.

And all of that just from a "hallway with some weird stuff and a scary face" demo.

I get where you are coming from, but I think it's a case similar to how South Park parodied all the fans reading in too much about what the author meant. I don't believe the creators of PT has some grand vision for exactly what this would mean and the impact that it would have. At that very early stage of the development, they took a neat concept and made a weird thing which they weren't sure how it would be received.

I genuinely don't think what I said was reductive. GTA is a city with cars, missions, weapons, characters, story, actual content. All I got from PT was a hallway with no story, weird jump scare moments and a few hours on the internet trying to read guides about how to make sense of the triggers, which even when I lucked out and got them right, it still made no sense. That's the entire thing.

Yes, the community around it was strong, but I think that's because of the mystique, the Kojima/Del Toro involvement, the fact that it is a Silent Hill game, and so on. That's something that evolves around a product, and doesn't mean it is one of the best games ever made. It means it had impact on the industry, but is that what they set out to do with it, or expect that would be the outcome? No. They wanted to make a teaser demo for the game they were making.

PT's legacy also benefitted HUGELY from being cancelled. Exactly the same way that if an artist dies, suddenly their paintings are worth way more money! Doesn't make the original product any different.

I love what it did, but the idea that someone would call it one of their favourite games of all time really doesn't make sense to me. Each to their own, but still....really? PT?

I get where you are coming from, but I think it's a case similar to how South Park parodied all the fans reading in too much about what the author meant. I don't believe the creators of PT has some grand vision for exactly what this would mean and the impact that it would have. At that very early stage of the development, they took a neat concept and made a weird thing which they weren't sure how it would be received.

I genuinely don't think what I said was reductive. GTA is a city with cars, missions, weapons, characters, story, actual content. All I got from PT was a hallway with no story, weird jump scare moments and a few hours on the internet trying to read guides about how to make sense of the triggers, which even when I lucked out and got them right, it still made no sense. That's the entire thing.

Yes, the community around it was strong, but I think that's because of the mystique, the Kojima/Del Toro involvement, the fact that it is a Silent Hill game, and so on. That's something that evolves around a product, and doesn't mean it is one of the best games ever made. It means it had impact on the industry, but is that what they set out to do with it, or expect that would be the outcome? No. They wanted to make a teaser demo for the game they were making.

PT's legacy also benefitted HUGELY from being cancelled. Exactly the same way that if an artist dies, suddenly their paintings are worth way more money! Doesn't make the original product any different.

I love what it did, but the idea that someone would call it one of their favourite games of all time really doesn't make sense to me. Each to their own, but still....really? PT?

PT definitely had a story to it. Just because you personally didnt understand it, doesnt mean there was no story.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The fact that this model is fully rigged and functional aside from the cloth physics. Holy shit.
wu7QaCC.gif

III-V

PT gave me nightmares. Still have it, can't revisit it. Very intense thematically, particularly for a new father.

More than a demo, and more than some full length games, truly an experience, albeit terrible.

Cmagus

I've learned to accept that PT is PT, it's own little game.

You know what I would honestly love to see more stuff like this and RE7 demo. I find these little games or demos are incredibly interesting and it's pretty awesome watching everyone work together. I'd even be willing to pay some to see more experiences like this.

I don't get why I keep seeing the word game or demo. PT is neither of those, it is interactive advertising.

Who gives a shit what people call it? It was one of the best horror experiences I've ever had.

And if you want to get technical, it's literally a Playable Teaser (P.T.). Of course, the game being teased was cancelled. But the experience of PT stands on its own.

Rellik

You know what I would honestly love to see more stuff like this and RE7 demo. I find these little games or demos are incredibly interesting and it's pretty awesome watching everyone work together. I'd even be willing to pay some to see more experiences like this.

Agreed. I've had a much better time on those 2 short experiences than a lot of full price AAA games.

SJRB

Gold Member
I don't get why I keep seeing the word game or demo. PT is neither of those, it is interactive advertising.

Interactive advertising...

So, like a demonstration of sorts? A snippet of something to sell you on a game or its concept? A playable teaser, perhaps.

It's really overrated, IMO.
Like The Exorcist and Halloween before it, you sort of needed to experience it the instant it came out to understand the impact.

Being in the thread trying to figure out just what the hell was going on and then the eventual realization that we were playing what was, at the time, a piece of content representing the upcoming Silent Hill game from Del Toro, Kojima and starring Norman Reedus was incredible. Something I'll never forget.

KyleCross

The fact that this model is fully rigged and functional aside from the cloth physics. Holy shit.
wu7QaCC.gif

Both P.T. and MGSV were Fox Engine games so they shared the same exact structure, so it's just a matter of throwing the model in there. Tho of course it's not 100% perfect because the rigging and animation is tweaked slightly on a per-model basis. Watch some of the mod videos where they replace Snake with one of the kids, it's hilarious.

Exentryk

Cool stuff!

P.T. is the greatest experience on PS4, and is the best ever horror experience in any medium. It's an absolute shame that new PS4 owners won't be able to experience it.

More short small experiences like this need to be made. I also enjoyed the RE7 Kitchen demo, even though it was nowhere near PT quality.

I have a hard time believing you played PT.

PT is about a man (presumably Norman Reedus's character) who loses his job. Unable to find a new one - either due to economic hardship or his own predisposition to addiction - he wallows in prescription pills and alcohol. To his dissatisfaction, his wife takes a job at a grocery store to help pay the bills he is not paying. While there, she has an affair with her boss (or a male employee) and becomes pregant with his child.

In a frustrated frenzy, the main character murders his family (including his other children) and wanders off on a fugue, from the scene of the crime to his eventual entrance to Silent Hill.

The story contained in PT alone is a character study of the failure masculine identity. Not just in gendered expectations of the male lead (that he should support his family), but in the masculine inclination to violent problem solving. Norman Reedus is a man with no emotional toolkit who hides his feelings in substances and anger. Faced with the collapse of his roles as a husband and a father, he has a psychotic break and murders everyone he is responsible for.

You could write an entire thesis on what this says about how society conditions men to solve their problems. In fact, I know somebody did for a 400 level Women & Gender Studies class.

So if you don't think PT has meaning, or character, or story, you're just mistaken. It is all present on the text and there for the player to decode. You don't have to be a master of metaphor to listen to the voice on the radio.

Top Bottom