• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

P.T.-inspired horror game, Allison Road, still in development

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
You're crazy if you think the success of P.T. was going to have no effect on how Silent Hills was going to play. They might have been experimenting with different stuff before, but that demo was a gauge to test public reaction of an internal design of the game. When they saw how well the demo reviewed, you can bet they were working to incorporate that design into Silent Hills.
The internal pitch video they made before P.T. was also a first person hallway simulator. It does seem like they were interested in making a game along those lines.

Drifters

I have to admit, after P.T. got me excited about the horror genre again, I will build a gaming PC just to play this if it doesn't come to consoles. holy shit.

Noaloha

I'd like them to do something about the locked-for-no-good-reason doors. Ideally just get rid of them and design the game in such a way as to support free exploration. If not, and if voice over is staying, at the very least have the protagonist react accordingly to inexplicably locked interior doors that suddenly unlock themself.

Throwing moneyz at the screen does nothing!

Man, I wish all the best for the developer.

I really hope they can make it.

And bring it to the consoles as well.

The environment looks fantastic & it seems to have a better atmosphere than I initially thought it would have when I first heard about it, certainly enough to make me consider picking it up over any other VR horror game.

With that said the character didn't match the quality of the environment for me personally, I can understand it's an indie team and still very early in development so it will most likely get better with time, but so far it doesn't come close to the uncanny valley effect & terrifying animations that Lisa had in P.T, which was one of the aspects that freaked me out the most. Also not keen on the voiced character, I can see that they're trying to guide the player around the house without needing additional HUD, but it's just an atmosphere killer.

SomTervo

This is commendable, but they've already broken a couple of fundamental rules of horror by showing the 'other' in any unambiguous manner.

Still, high potential!

PT inspired doesn't really say much since it wasn't all that innovative in the horror space, just excellent excecution.

But isn't execution everything?

As an Englishman this give me chills even more than other horror games simply because of the familiarity with the setting. The houses look similar to where I used to live and the household brands and stuff shown in the demo bring that realism a step further.

dan2026

I dont know why Konami ditched P.T/Silent Hills.

Why would you take a sleeper hit that just exploded in popularity and then throw it away.
?
Dont make sense.

Why would you take a sleeper hit that just exploded in popularity and then throw it away.
?
Dont make sense.
If you feel the tens of millions required for any AAA development and marketing are no longer worth the risk, so you want to get out of the AAA game as much as possible so killing this expensive project sooner rather than later.
Especially given that its big internal champion is no longer part of the company.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I want this to have a full-fledged storyline, with 'GOOD' dialogues and mindfuck twists and turns. Doubt it's going to be anything more than what we've seen as the budget seems limited of sorts. Hopefully its a long game.

?
Dont make sense.

I think that might be overselling it a bit. Sure it may have been popular with fans of the horror genre, but that's it. You already had people too scared to even finish the demo. If you didn't like these types of games before you won't like them now and it's not worth it to a publisher to spend $30+ million on a game that doesn't have mass appeal. Silent Hill isn't like Resident Evil in terms of sales and it never will be.

This looks very good. The only issue I had with it was the guy speaking, I mean he was acting like he had never seen anything that he picked up before but at the same time was acting like he lived there.

Mifec

This looks very good. The only issue I had with it was the guy speaking, I mean he was acting like he had never seen anything that he picked up before but at the same time was acting like he lived there.
He is unfortunatrly suffering from amnesia, the most played out of trope.

He is unfortunatrly suffering from amnesia, the most played out of trope.

But is he? I mean he doesn't act like he's in a new place when he wakes up and looks for some aspirin it seems like he knows were he is, otherwise why look for aspirin? It's a weird mix to have.

Catdaddy

I think what made PT so great was it was so short. Maintaining that level of tension for even a 6-7 hour game will be difficult.

I did like the "demo", even knowing something was going to happen at some point.

Mifec

But is he? I mean he doesn't act like he's in a new place when he wakes up and looks for some aspirin it seems like he knows were he is, otherwise why look for aspirin? It's a weird mix to have.
There is a blurb for the gamr in either this or the demo thread. I've not watched the trailer since I am on hotel net.

delacidar

Neo Member
This game coming out will add to the pros of buying a VR set. I was reluctant at first but now I'm looking forward to playing it.

KORNdoggy

the problem i have with this is, while i liked P.T as a small, almost proof of concept thing with distant ties with silent hill, it was the premise of a new silent hill that had me excited. and silent hill is a town...not a house.

so as much as i like the look of this as some sort of spiritual successor to P.T. what i really want is someone to give us a spiritual successor to silent hill.

the problem i have with this is, while i liked P.T as a small, almost proof of concept thing with distant ties with silent hill, it was the premise of a new silent hill that had me excited. and silent hill is a town...not a house.

so as much as i like the look of this as some sort of spiritual successor to P.T. what i really want is someone to give us a spiritual successor to silent hill.

Have you played Lone Survivor?

Oneself

I guess it will get funded easily. I didn't do any research but they don't seem to have any experience in game making and they shoot for a multiplatform release at the end of 2016... So I'm doubtful. I guess I'll wait and see.

Sesha

I think that might be overselling it a bit. Sure it may have been popular with fans of the horror genre, but that's it. You already had people too scared to even finish the demo. If you didn't like these types of games before you won't like them now and it's not worth it to a publisher to spend $30+ million on a game that doesn't have mass appeal. Silent Hill isn't like Resident Evil in terms of sales and it never will be.

Times are different now, though. Horror games are more mainstream than they have ever been, thanks in part to the success of games like Amnesia, Outlast, Slender and the countless other cheap freeware horror games out there, and to Youtubers like Pewdiepie and Markiplier. P.T. videos by the beforementioned Youtubers and channels like the React channel have millions of views each.

One of the most popular games last year was Five Nights at Freddy's, an indie game consisting of mostly static jpegs. In October of last year we had two big budget horror games release in the same month, and both did well. Currently Until Dawn seems to be doing well, and videos of it has millions of view on Youtube.

If it was ever a time when a big budget Silent Hill game would do well, it's now.

Top Bottom