• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pach-Attack!

Dennis

Banned
So the Pach acknowledges that StarCraft 2 and Diablo III will sell bazillions, and that the consoles should allow upgradable GPUs?

Pachter is a secret PC fanboy confirmed! :lol

jvm

Gamasutra.
For posterity...
bikn50.png

He was just trying to give more stuff for the fanboys at Gametrailers to fume and flame him over. Funny dude. Or was he serious? o_O

Dan Yo

Banned
gburgess10 said:
He was just trying to give more stuff for the fanboys at Gametrailers to fume and flame him over. Funny dude. Or was he serious? o_O
He's often flamed on there by the users calling him a 360 fanboy. I imagine he thought he'd throw them for a loop.

Dan Yo

Banned
DennisK4 said:
So the Pach acknowledges that StarCraft 2 and Diablo III will sell bazillions, and that the consoles should allow upgradable GPUs?

He also says (as is expected of Pachter at this point) that he fully expects Blizzard to charge people to play both games online. So I doubt he loves PC gamers that much.

gburgess10 said:
Doesn't matter, it's working

BPRJCTX said:
Ok, he just lost everything there at the end...

Why would he troll like that?!

It's just fuckin sad to see an old man say something like that...

Even if it's a joke, it was just fuckin' sad..

Fakto

Why on earth he believes that Blizzard will charge for Battle.net use ? They won't. They mustn't, they ... oh god, please no ;_;
BTW, anyone knows witch collector edition is the one with the pistols on the back ?

Draft

That is a bizarre prediction for Battle.net 2.0.

WoW subscribers get to play SC2/D3 for free?

People who buy SC2/D3 at retail pay a subscription to play?

I seriously think Pachter is going to too many Wall Street parties.

Pach man said that advertisers are weary of in-game advertisements because they don't have quantifiable data to go on like they do with television ratings, etc.

That doesn't make any sense to me. If you put advertising in the loading screen of Madden, and Madden sells 3 million copies that's 3 million people who get exposed to the advertising at the very least many times and at most A SHIT TON of times.

You don't need online measurements to figure out that is a lot of exposure.

That being said I really hope in game advertising never gets big, I really find it distasteful.

Owzers

Arpharmd B said:
Pach man said that advertisers are weary of in-game advertisements because they don't have quantifiable data to go on like they do with television ratings, etc.

That doesn't make any sense to me. If you put advertising in the loading screen of Madden, and Madden sells 3 million copies that's 3 million people who get exposed to the advertising at the very least many times and at most A SHIT TON of times.

You don't need online measurements to figure out that is a lot of exposure.

That being said I really hope in game advertising never gets big, I really find it distasteful.

iirc Pachters point was if someone puts an ad into chapter 10 of a game, it's hard to to tell how many people will see it since not everyone plays through the whole game.

Draft said:
That is a bizarre prediction for Battle.net 2.0.

WoW subscribers get to play SC2/D3 for free?

People who buy SC2/D3 at retail pay a subscription to play?
Think about Xbox Live.

Battle.net 2.0

Xbox Live

Battle.net 2.0

Xbox Live

BAAAAATLE DOT NEEEEEEEEET TWOOOO POINT OOOOOOU

J-Rzez

If Blizzard would charge to use bnet2, they can officially go fuck themselves. That'd be the lamest thing they could ever do to their fanbase of those series especially. Comparing it to XBL is stupid, as it's way different. Even still, XBL is a massive rip off, and that ties into far more games than 3 that Blizzard has going for it.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Seda said:
Rambled for a bit about his router issues, but otherwise a good episode.

The guy spends so much time trying to anticipating and responding to troll comments that it detracts from the real meat and potatoes of his arguments and analysis. I just would wish he would stay on subject, and not try to engage the irrational fanboys so much.

ZealousD said:
The guy spends so much time trying to anticipating and responding to troll comments that it detracts from the real meat and potatoes of his arguments and analysis. I just would wish he would stay on subject, and not try to engage the irrational fanboys so much.
THIS, THANK YOU!

Again love the show but man I wish he would just do his annalist thing and move on, to everything there is an exception if you have a brain you understand that.... leave the
"flamers and trols" be .....

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
ZealousD said:
I agree with this.

If he wants to respond to an especially notable exception, that I can understand, but he doesn't need to explain every single thing which he seems to be doing.

Fakto

The Dutch Slayer said:
Again love the show but man I wish he would just do his annalist thing and move on

Nah, the "annalist thing" can be done by any random guy in that line of work, but the other off topic stuff is what makes Pachter himself ... for better or worst.

[Nintex]

clip said:
I'd like to see some sources behind those numbers of consoles that are online, that he threw out.
I don't think Pachter ever had numbers to back up his statements. He's always like: "Yeah, and this Final Fantasy game will sell 8 million units or so... but just not 40 million units like GTA does."

dsister44

[Nintex] said:
I don't think Pachter ever had numbers to back up his statements. He's always like: "Yeah, and this Final Fantasy game will sell 8 million units or so... but just not 40 million units like GTA does."

stuff like 'GTA will be on the only game in the future to sell over 20 million' always confused me

Acheteedo

ZealousD said:

I love it when he does that, it gives pack-attack a unique personality.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Acheteedo said:
I love it when he does that, it gives pack-attack a unique personality.
Hah, I like it too. Didn't think about the MS way of controlling content in the 360 either...that makes a lot of sense really.

John

DennisK4 said:

I doubt it, considering that he said just last year that "no one has a PC more powerful than a PS3."

Massa

Here's a hint Pach: the people complaining about draconian DRM are usually people who buy games, not pirate them. Why? Because pirates are unaffected by Ubisoft's DRM (pirated copies don't have DRM). Only legimate consumers get screwed.

Yeef

He definitely misinterpreted that first question and totally missed the mark on his answer to boot. DRM only hurts legitimate customers not pirates. Furthermore, infringement and theft aren't the same thing legally speaking and the guy who created BitTorrent isn't in jail. BitTorrent is just a protocol.

I would like to hear some informed Euros' opinions on the second question and his analysis.

Michael Pachter said:
To all you PC gamers out there, I hate you. You know it.
Oh Michael :lol

I agree with him on the DRM stuff in terms of companies having the right to protect their products, but the fact is that for many people, a pirated version of a game is now easier and more convenient to play. That's assy.

Wag

I wonder how Pachter feels towards all the servicemen and women gamers overseas with limited connections of 768k or less who aren't able to play legitimate UBI PC games at all? His shortsighted answer makes him come of as nothing more than an industry shill.

I'm pretty sure his answer about DRM was meant to cause an outcry and thus produce more clicks. But it's good to know he hates all PC gamers :lol. At least he's honest about it, hehe.

Wag

LSauchelli said:
I'm pretty sure his answer about DRM was meant to cause an outcry and thus produce more clicks. But it's good to know he hates all PC gamers :lol. At least he's honest about it, hehe.
Odd, because I could have sworn just the other week he said he spends more time gaming on the PC than any other platform.

clip

His schtick of responding to flamers and trolls before he actually says anything is really tiresome, and outright saying you hate a group of people is just wrong, whether he was serious or not.

Lately he's been ending every episode with a quote that's obvious that it should not be taken seriously. Don't really see a problem with that.

clip said:
His schtick of responding to flamers and trolls before he actually says anything is really tiresome, and outright saying you hate a group of people is just wrong, whether he was serious or not.
Lighten up, it's all in good fun.

Brakara

Massa said:
Here's a hint Pach: the people complaining about draconian DRM are usually people who buy games, not pirate them. Why? Because pirates are unaffected by Ubisoft's DRM (pirated copies don't have DRM). Only legimate consumers get screwed.

Exactly, and I thought it was strange that he doesn't understand this. It's not the pirates who are complaining about DRM, it's the actual buyers.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Yeah, that second question really wasn't needed. He even admitted it was a dumb question but he responded anyway.

Don't really agree with him about Move. I think Move is going to be a total non-factor. The only "blue ocean" game they have is Move Party and there's really nothing in that product that you can't get cheaper on the Wii.

Top Bottom