• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pach-Attack!

Minamu

I hope he says something about the often pretty stupid nicknames people use. My name isn't that much better so I shouldn't talk but I'll be damned if el1tesh00terxXx isn't god damn annoying as hell :lol

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
ZealousD said:
Don't really agree with him about Move. I think Move is going to be a total non-factor. The only "blue ocean" game they have is Move Party and there's really nothing in that product that you can't get cheaper on the Wii.
If (and this is a big if) Sony where to bundle PS3 & Move for $250 like he said, it would be a threat to Nintendo for sure. It would be so awesome if Nintendo redesigned the Wii and included the ability to upscale the games though. It looks like it will be at least 2 - 3 years until any next gen systems come out. That's still quite a ways off. Sony and Microsoft are pretty much rereleasing their systems to add extra life to them. It would be nice if Nintendo did the same. In the end, I think Move will eat into Wii's market, but it will take it a while to get there. If Sony starts touting 3D and motion controls though, it could take off, you never know.

Hy_

So far we've learned Pachter drives a Porsche and has a two story house SO big his precious Wii can't get wifi even with two routers.

I can no longer relate to you Pachter! An every man you are not! :p

I think Pachter is no longer at Wedbush Securities. Here's the update I got from the site that wont be named:

"Yeah I'm 99% sure he doesn't work there anymore. I think they pretty much got tired of his BS. No analyst with any ounce of professionalism does what he permits himself to do. He's become some parading monkey for the industry. Ah who am I kidding, the guy's got it good. If good means getting your e-penis sucked and burnt off by 14 year old console fanboys in the same thread over your predictions. Still he gets big swinging dick status in a fun industry and makes (or made) a decent salary (enough to rub in the fact that he rides a porshe in everyone's face, as if the visitors of GameTrailers were anywhere near his economic level to warrant such cock waving). "

Uncompromisable said:
I think Pachter is no longer at Wedbush Securities. Here's the update I got from the site that wont be named:

"Yeah I'm 99% sure he doesn't work there anymore. I think they pretty much got tired of his BS. No analyst with any ounce of professionalism does what he permits himself to do. He's become some parading monkey for the industry. Ah who am I kidding, the guy's got it good. If good means getting your e-penis sucked and burnt off by 14 year old console fanboys in the same thread over your predictions. Still he gets big swinging dick status in a fun industry and makes (or made) a decent salary (enough to rub in the fact that he rides a porshe in everyone's face, as if the visitors of GameTrailers were anywhere near his economic level to warrant such cock waving). "

This person clearly has never watched Bloomberg TV or any any business focus only TV. There is nothing outrageous about Pachter compared to other analysts.

Uncompromisable said:

Yeahhhhh I don't think that's accurate

Well at least as an analyst Pachter attempts to be as unbiased as always.

SN: The Marvel v Capcom 3 booth was crowded and that was like 20+ monitors!!!

I think hes right, no matter what the 3DS is priced were going to buy it...

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
MM, really hope he's right about respawn doing SciFi.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Uncompromisable said:

what site are you talking about i wonder

qwerty2k

pachter really thinks a 64gig flash drive costs a couple of hundred dollars? :lol, he must pick 50-60gig out of thin air as just before (or is it after?) he says that 360 games are only 7gig on average and blu-ray is too big, so why use a 50gig flash drive for a pricing example?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
A 40gig game on a memory stick would definitely sell for way over 100$

qwerty2k

Jtwo said:
A 40gig game on a memory stick would definitely sell for way over 100$

but he said the average game is 7gig...(for the 360) so presumably you could tack on $10 onto a game for the flash costs....then maybe remove the $10 as there is much less chance of piracy if you use a custom connection etc

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
qwerty2k said:
pachter really thinks a 64gig flash drive costs a couple of hundred dollars? :lol, he must pick 50-60gig out of thin air as just before (or is it after?) he says that 360 games are only 7gig on average and blu-ray is too big, so why use a 50gig flash drive for a pricing example?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=flash_drive_64gb-_-20-220-370-_-Product

It was an exaggeration but they're certainly expensive. And publishers don't want to spend more than pennies on the physical production costs of a game, just the plastic for cartridges is expensive.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not about to rewatch it, but I'm pretty sure he specifically says a bluray sized game would be super expensive.

Then he goes on to praise Blu Ray discs for costing 70cents and being able to hold a few xbox games.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Episode 124 is up
How much do the big companies like EA and Sony spend on conventions? Plus, the future of 3D gaming is predicted from the Pachter-Pad in Sunny Southern California! To have your own questions answered or to express your jealousy over Pachter's crib, head over to the Ask Pach page!

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-124-pach-attack/701712

Nice Crib - such a pimp :lol

lol "The idea that you can play Modern Warfare 2 for 10 hours a week for the rest of your life for free is crazy!"

I didnt realize Madden NFL 08 is just 3$ used. Those games drop fast!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The idea that I can buy a car and just drive it for free for the rest of my life is crazy.

All cars should only be sold on lease now, as it's unfair to the automakers otherwise.

JaggedSac

Nirolak said:
The idea that I can buy a car and just drive it for free for the rest of my life is crazy.

All cars should only be sold on lease now, as it's unfair to the automakers otherwise.

You have to pay the government every year to use their roads(tag tax), at least in the US.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
JaggedSac said:
You have to pay the government every year to use their roads(tag tax), at least in the US.
Yes, and you have to pay Microsoft $50 a year to play on Xbox Live.

However, this is irrelevant to my comparison because car companies don't get a share of the road tax and video game companies don't get a share of the Xbox Live subscription fee.

You also don't pay to build a road in the up front. With a game, you're paying $60 in order to be able to play it, and that fee includes access to the multiplayer.

If you were getting Call of Duty for free and then had to pay $5 a month to play it, this would be a completely different situation.

Kintaro said:
Anyone else think this guy has the potential to be much worse than Kotick in the long run?

Not really since he doesn't have the power to actually change things like Kotick does. And I really doubt that anything that he's floated out there hasn't been thought of by these companies. We know Kotick is very interesting in charging for CoD's online play. The fact that he's hesitant to pull the trigger on it is pretty telling though.

FStop7

Banned
For an industry analyst he doesn't seem to know his subject matter very well. Why do so many people pay him so much heed?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
SolidSnakex said:
Not really since he doesn't have the power to actually change things like Kotick does. And I really doubt that anything that he's floated out there hasn't been thought of by these companies. We know Kotick is very interesting in charging for CoD's online play. The fact that he's hesitant to pull the trigger on it is pretty telling though.

Well, the problem is that ignorant investors will listen to this guy's comments and will start bringing it up to these companies as if its the right thing to do. Then, all of a sudden, it won't just me Michael saying "It's crazy these guys get to play these games online for free!" it will be your favorite publisher CEO of game director.

Next thing you know, you'll have crazy talk from Cliffy B. going "Yeah, we're going to charge monthly for online Gears 4. When you think about it, we really weren't getting what we deserved for our online games in the past. This was worse than pre-owned games!"

Ignorance spoken as "industry analysis" is the true danger here. You know, sort of like the natural drop off of sales in year five of a generational cycle and instead of being recognized as a natural thing that has happened every single time out in generations past (and still high cost for entry this generation around), it's now chalked up to online play all of a sudden? Lets forget about the fact that consoles are still $200-300...

I think that someone will charge for online play soon. That'll determine how other publishers feel about it more than what Pachter is saying. I can't see it really spreading out to every game because some games don't have a big userbase as it is, so asking that small group to pay to play that game isn't going to work out.

But I do think that a pay to play model would work for CoD initially just due to how popular it is right now. But Activision has shown that they have an ability to kill off their franchises with what in the long run turn out to be stupid decisions. The most recent example is Guitar Hero. Their milking of it worked for a few years and now the entire genre is starting to sink at a rapid pace. Now CoD wouldn't sink the entire FPS genre, but it's possible that a paid model would be the beginning of the end for CoD as the biggest FPS brand. They'd open the door right up for another publisher to sneak in with a free to play game and take all those users that don't want to pay to play. And we know that EA is looking to take down CoD.

J-Rzez

Nirolak said:

Well, not just a lease, but on super strict mileage allowments at that. "Lease this 2011 Mustang GT for $6995 down, $599/mo, and you get 100miles a week FREE!*

*Any mile over that 100 miles a week will result in a charge of $5 per mile.

I agree though, this industry is going down a dark path here where developers and publishers who talk about value, doesn't mean the value the consumers should get and expect, but rather how they can extract more value from US the consumer.

It's really a sad day and age for being a hardcore gamer.

Cynar said:
subscription based just for a game like an fps or whatever = no more purchases from that company to me.

I've said this before, but if they would give us:

- Solid servers/netcode
- Cross game unified stat tracking
- New content per month or every two months (free map + weapons)
- Starting price at $39.99-49.99

Then I would maybe consider $5/mo charge. Maybe. But we won't get that. We'll get $60 for the new game, $10/mo to play, and $16 map packs.

Fularu

Banned
Nirolak said:

Once you buy your car, the manufacturer has no more costs related to it. When you buy "Online game xxx with servers provided by publisher YYY" your game still costs money to maintain for the publisher.

Your analogy really doesn't work. Also car manufacturers sell maintainance packages when you buy a car :p (that covers more than the base insurance obviously)

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I don't think he's wrong that companies will dip their feet into subscriptions for online play. I agree with him that Battle.net is probably going to have a subscription in the future.

Online play is an incentive to make a purchase so charging for it is counter intuitive. Xbox Live remedies this by covering service costs for all games on system with a single fee. Xbox Live should never have online subscriptions for individual games (excluding MMOs seeing the game is entirely online) because that is an additional cost Xbox Live is suppose to cover. I love Xbox Live because it is centralized (unlike Nintendo systems), doesn't have a convoluted online infrastructure (MGS Online) or unreliable game servers (maintenance is necessary but rarely at an unreasonable length). EA chooses to host their own servers and the cost shouldn't be placed on the consumer. With this model they need to do the research to determine the budget of the title that includes development and online server cost, which can be estimated on projected sales.

Top Bottom