• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pach-Attack!

see5harp

offshore said:
Give me a break. What kind of company only lets people who are on Macs watch their live stream? What kind of company tells people how to hold their phone? What kind of company then attempts to drag other companies into a problem of thier own creation by highlighting them at their conference?

Apple are the worst kind of company.

Okay dude.

see5harp

MedIC86 said:
Well Apple can and probarly will try, but imo they will fail...
hipster douchebags cannot take there apple console with them in there pocket showing everyone what they have

Uh huh go on.

Draft

itsgreen said:
quite a way from the 1280x720 or 1920x1080
You just described most console game's resolution :lol

Give me a break. What kind of company only lets people who are on Macs watch their live stream? What kind of company tells people how to hold their phone? What kind of company then attempts to drag other companies into a problem of thier own creation by highlighting them at their conference?

Apple is a Goddamn amazing company if you are a stock market analyst.

J-Rzez

MedIC86 said:
Well Apple can and probarly will try, but imo they will fail...
hipster douchebags cannot take there apple console with them in there pocket showing everyone what they have

I think the smart phone novelty has worn off. It's not a "shock" anymore to see one in the wild, everyone has one. From iphones to droids to blackberries.

Apple will eventually make was into console gaming, it just may not be in traditional sense. And they'd have even less first-party developers than MS, unless they just went around buying stuff up, but everyone though MS would do the same.

Console market is ideal right now, enough competition. There's never room for a 4th, and someone will fail and drop out. The Wii is already neglected by 3rd parties for being different, Apple's console will be "different" too most likely from both the Wii and the HD machines, and thus developers would be spread way too far thin to support them all.

offshore

shwimpy said:
If you don't have a mac/ipod/ipad/iphone, why do you care about the conference showing more of the same product?

God, you're as childish as Apple.

Take iTunes 10. Who will use it the most? Answer: Windows users. It's the billion Windows users worldwide who have made iTunes what it is today. You think it's just the 4% worldwide Mac audience who will be using iTunes 10? Steve said it himself at D3, iTunes is the most popular application on Windows. So why not let Windows users watch the stream?

What about Apple TV? If I don't have "a mac/ipod/ipad/iphone", I'm not allowed to be interested in it, or not care about it?

Wake up and grow up.

offshore said:

offshore said:
God, you're as childish as Apple.

offshore said:
Wake up and grow up.

sytpci.gif

It's like you planned this.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
DaBuddaDa said:
A four console world is unsustainable. It's never, ever gonna happen in the traditional sense.

I agree, but that doesn't mean Apple can't enter the console space. One of the current Big Three could completely botch their next console launch. Given the direction that gaming seems to be going right now with uncertain motion control technology being the driver of innovation, a complete botch isn't completely out of the cards.

faridmon said:
I am sure Pach is alright chap in real life and i respect the work he does for the industry, But his views on the whole industry is very wrong.

I really wonder why some poeple enjoy his shows...
Because he's awesome, even when he's wrong. Anyway Draft is right, this is not going to be a console in the traditional sense.

Draft

Keep in mind that Apple has to go somewhere. That's what giant companies do. They already have absolute dominion over the MP3 player market. There's no real growth left to be made there. They have a very strong foothold in the cell phone market, but unless they start making a dozen different handsets or open the iPhone to a bunch of carriers, real growth isn't going to happen there either.

But the living room! Microsoft's white whale. In spite of what Wired or Engadget might have you believe, most entertainment isn't digested via some "smart" device in the palm of your hand. It happens on a big screen while your fat ass lounges on the sofa. Apple's felt the sting of rejection there once, but that's still the next great frontier for a lot of these PC makers.

Apple TV is a reality. An Apple TV that plays the same shitty fucking games your iPhone plays is an inevitability.

Did you think the wailing was loud when Nintendo took gaming away from pads and towards waggle? You haven't heard shit.

Anony

probably the most informative ep yet, probably cuz it was longer

i thought pachter is rich, but apparently, he is motherfucking loaded, i mean, damn

Zonar

Anony said:
probably the most informative ep yet, probably cuz it was longer

i thought pachter is rich, but apparently, he is motherfucking loaded, i mean, damn
The Best Pach-Attack yet. I love the back story. He is very smart.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Pachter: "Obviously it's more important to be quoted by the Wall Street Journal or New York Times than it is Gamasutra"

Ego... crushed! :lol

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
nice show. when is part II expected to be up?

That Hip-Hop gamer is umm....quite enthusiastic about Mr. Pachter.

After watching Part 2, I went to go get something to eat. Openend up the news paper to the Business section and there was an article on last months NPD. Who did the local news call for a quote? PACHTERRRRRRRR. The guy is awesome and more power to him for making money by analyzing video games.

StuBurns

Banned
Draft said:
HOLY SHIT.

Pachter spitting the fiery truth about Apple. Just when I thought he couldn't be any cooler.
He's wrong. It's like saying just because you can ride a bike the fifteen miles to work everyday, you should.

Draft

StuBurns said:
He's wrong. It's like saying just because you can ride a bike the fifteen miles to work everyday, you should.
Pachter loses $250k and just laughs it off. You're just some jerk on the internet. You're wrong.

StuBurns

Banned
Draft said:
Pachter loses $250k and just laughs it off. You're just some jerk on the internet. You're wrong.
Oh okay, so because he is wealthy, he is also always correct. RDR didn't sell more than double he claimed, the WiiHD is out and a wild success.

He is clearly able to earn lots of money, I'm not denying that. But the logic he used to explain why he thinks owning Apple computers is nonsensical is illogical. There are good arguments why someone would favor the rival products, but his reason is stupid. Much like his knowledge of Steam.

StuBurns said:
Oh okay, so because he is wealthy, he is also always correct. RDR didn't sell more than double he claimed, the WiiHD is out and a wild success.

He is clearly able to earn lots of money, I'm not denying that. But the logic he used to explain why he thinks owning Apple computers is nonsensical is illogical. There are good arguments why someone would favor the rival products, but his reason is stupid. Much like his knowledge of Steam.

He is a financial analyst for publicly traded companies. He probably doesn't care about Steam as his clients don't care about it.

StuBurns said:
So you are implying that understanding the buying concerns of Apple computer users does make him money?
Um, yes? Apple has an IPO, so of course he would care about it.

If Valve had an IPO, he would be all over it just like EA, ACTI and the rest. Of course we know Valve won't be doing that anytime soon.

StuBurns

Banned
Darkshier said:
Um, yes? Apple has an IPO, so of course he would care about it.
Well they're the biggest technology company in the world, he should probably try to get to the bottom of it.

I believe he said he intends to buy three iPads for a function it doesn't even have.

michaelpachter

He speaks, and we freak
StuBurns said:
I really doubt that.
I'll let Apple know that you're pessimistic about handwriting recognition. I'm sure that they and all app store developers will stop working on it right away. Be proud, you've probably saved them a ton of time and effort.

You're really quite a dipstick, in my completely uninformed opinion. I know a lot less about you than I do about Valve or Apple, but have more confidence in my opinion about you :lol

michaelpachter said:
I'll let Apple know that you're pessimistic about handwriting recognition. I'm sure that they and all app store developers will stop working on it right away. Be proud, you've probably saved them a ton of time and effort.

You're really quite a dipstick, in my completely uninformed opinion. I know a lot less about you than I do about Valve or Apple, but have more confidence in my opinion about you :lol
pachtodamusforGAF.jpg

Thoraxes

kylej said:
Yeah, I'll definitely look to GAF sales threads for help with economics. That'll fit in nicely with my Sociology class taught by Professor Jeffrey Dahmer.

I may be the only one who caught the joke...:lol

StuBurns

Banned
michaelpachter said:

You didn't say "they're working on it", you said it had it. And Steve Jobs has ripped on the idea of stylus use a number of times.

Regardless, I wasn't attempted to bait you, I actually enjoy the show, hence why I watched it. I just think considering you're a professional in the industry, when you talk about things like Valve's cut on software, or the prices on Steam, you should have some vague idea what you're talking about, you are in a position of influence after all. It's a kin to a dentist telling people you don't get pregnant if you have sex standing up.

But congratulations on the wealth and hot wife.

EDIT: But ripping on TakeTwo on the Bombcast was lame, you were hurt that you low balled RDR by a few million units?

michaelpachter

He speaks, and we freak
But congratulations on the wealth and hot wife.

EDIT: But ripping on TakeTwo on the Bombcast was lame, you were hurt that you low balled RDR by a few million units?[/QUOTE]

Thank you, and thank you.

I low balled RDR back in May, said in print the week of launch (in a note to investors) that I was wrong, apologized via VG 24/7 (and said I didn't get any free games from Take-Two), then apologized to management in person at E3.

The Bombcast comment was because I said Mafia II would not be profitable, and the company called me out on their earnings conference call and said that they expect the game to be solidly profitable. You couldn't hear the audience member in the front say "what about Mafia being profitable, the CEO said it would be"? My comment was in response to that. It was a very poor choice of words on my part, but I stand by my view that the game will not be profitable.

Forecasting unit sales and profitability is my job. I've only gotten units right once in 11 years (Spider-Man 2), so I'm not particularly worried if I get them wrong, so long as the sum of the error terms adds up to close to zero. In the case of RDR, I missed by a mile, and said so in print repeatedly.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
michaelpachter said:

oh my god

:BOW

krae_man

Having a laptop in high school is a must? Jesus when I was in college 8 years ago hardly anyone had one. Only the rich kids had cellphones too.

I don't think that cloud stuff is going to happen as fast as you think. I remember that episode a while ago when someone mentioned their 50/60gb monthly bandwidth cap and you said something like "That's about 4-5 PS3 games a month. Sure some people buy that many but not enough to make it an issue".

Sounds like that statement was made in a vacuum where only one person uses the internet in that house and that one person only uses it for the purpose of downloading PS3 games. In reality that 60gb cap is for multiple people in the household doing multiple things on the internet. Downloading even one PS3 game when you have a 60gb bandwidth cap takes a "how much bandwidth do I have left" now let alone 5 years from now.

I have a 60gb cap and hover around 50gb of usage each month. This past month it was 59gb due in part to Deathspank, Shank demo, Scott Pilgrum and Earthworm Jim HD.

Top Bottom