• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pach-Attack!

Grinchy

Banned
pslayer666 said:
I don't get the hate either.

If you don't agree with something the guy says, just state your opinion and make your arguments clear about why you don't agree. Calling the guy a douchebag, or an idiot or whatever else doesn't really help you guys look any better o_O
Sometimes I enjoy watching because I disagree so harshly. People have a problem with him for some reason, but I wouldn't call that reason "logic." Pachter probably insulted their console of choice at some point or something.

michaelpachter

He speaks, and we freak
We shoot Pach-Attack once every 8 - 10 weeks for two hours. I usually answer 20 - 30 questions, and although my producer Rohan sends them to me the day before, I don't "research" answers. I read through them to eliminate questions that I have no clue about, as people ask random questions about developers that I've never heard of, and it doesn't make for a very satisfying experience if my answer is "I don't know".

When I answer the questions, they're off the top of my head. I acknowledge that I frequently make errors, such as my estimate that PC sales for BF3 would be 10%--I truly did not know that BFBC2 sold 35% on PC until 200 posters on the GameTrailers site told me so. Another "error" was my comment that there were 50 million iPhones sold--easy enough to check, but I didn't check first, and pulled a number off the top of my head. Had I thought it through, I probably would have said a higher number, but since I don't cover Apple, it's not particularly important to me to have that number right.

Anyway, answers to questions average around 3 minutes, so with set up, re-takes, and intro/outro commentary, I can answer 20 - 30. They cut those up into 8 - 10 weekly episodes, so by the time you see them, they are sometimes stale.

I'll be a PAX Prime and have a session on Saturday at 4:30. We're going for an hour, I will answer all questions (to the best of my ability) for the first 30 minutes, then will be joined by Gary Whitta and Jeff Green to answer more questions. Any of you who think I'm a douche, please come by and I will gladly spend time with you afterward and perhaps convince you that I'm not.

As far as the comments about being immature on GAF, please consider the forum. When a member calls me out, dares me to disclose my stock ownership position, says he'll eat his hat, and adds that he had the "displeasure" of meeting me, he set himself up. I make every effort to be respectful on this forum, am a regular reader, and learn a lot from most of you. However, when called out by an obvious dickhead, I occasionally succumb to the urge to respond. I will gladly call him "Mr. Dickhead" the next time I see him, and hope he is man enough to identify himself when we meet.

Apologies to any of you who find my comments a waste of your time, but seriously, if you don't care what I have to say, don't read anything with my name in the title, and for God's sake, don't waste your time reading/responding to Pachter threads on GAF.

Thanks to those of you who understand what I'm all about, and to both haters and the rest of you, please try to find time to stop by at PAX Prime. I'll hang out as long as necessary afterward to speak to any of you who care.

Salsa

7d8554f9a000a2e363d23459222b49db4a052996.jpg
indeed

Dennis

Banned
michaelpachter said:
I'll be a PAX Prime and have a session on Saturday at 4:30. We're going for an hour, I will answer all questions (to the best of my ability) for the first 30 minutes, then will be joined by Gary Whitta and Jeff Green to answer more questions.
Cool. Would like to see that.

[Nintex]

Another "error" was my comment that there were 50 million iPhones sold--easy enough to check, but I didn't check first, and pulled a number off the top of my head. Had I thought it through, I probably would have said a higher number, but since I don't cover Apple, it's not particularly important to me to have that number right.
Well that number is important because you took two errors(Chartz for DS sales, made up iPhone number) to base your analysis of the handheld market on. More or less unfounded claims and no facts at all. So what you get is, you pull a number from the top of your head and you start to talk about some percentages from those numbers. Instead of using whatever device connected to the internet and typing in: "iphone sales to date 2011" to find out that it sold 100 million units. Now we at GAF know that this is all fun and games not to be taken seriously at any level but there's thousands out there who don't know and think that you are stating facts. They will repeat and spread those numbers as facts and that goes beyond just your average GT visitor. Indie and garage developers without resources for expensive market research might even make decisions based on those statements.

Apologies to any of you who find my comments a waste of your time, but seriously, if you don't care what I have to say, don't read anything with my name in the title, and for God's sake, don't waste your time reading/responding to Pachter threads on GAF.
I don't think it's a waste of time but you seem to think that checking facts is a waste of time I think a lot of haters wouldn't 'hate' if you or the GT-staff for that matter spend some time on checking facts.

michaelpachter

He speaks, and we freak
[Nintex] said:
Well that number is important because you took two errors(Chartz for DS sales, made up iPhone number) to base your analysis of the handheld market on. More or less unfounded claims and no facts at all. So what you get is, you pull a number from the top of your head and you start to talk about some percentages from those numbers. Instead of using whatever device connected to the internet and typing in: "iphone sales to date 2011" to find out that it sold 100 million units. Now we at GAF know that this is all fun and games not to be taken seriously at any level but there's thousands out there who don't know and think that you are stating facts. They will repeat and spread those numbers as facts and that goes beyond just your average GT visitor. Indie and garage developers without resources for expensive market research might even make decisions based on those statements.

I don't think it's a waste of time but you seem to think that checking facts is a waste of time I think a lot of haters wouldn't 'hate' if you or the GT-staff for that matter spend some time on checking facts.

I don't get paid to do P-A, and otherwise have a very full schedule. I suppose I could spend another hour or so each time fact checking, but from my POV, if I say "50 million iPhones" when there are really 100 million, my comment doesn't change the fact of how many were sold. My POV is that the GAF audience takes things far too seriously. If I make a misstatement, call me out on it, and I won't get pissy and tell you to eat your hat made of poop. As I said, I didn't know how many BFBC2 units sold on PC, don't really care that I didn't know, and my answer was about whether pulling BF3 off Steam would hurt PC sales. Who really cares if BF3 sells 1 million or 3 million on PC? Steam might have been half of that, and if people have to go to Origin, it might cost them 10% of the 1.5 million they would have sold on Steam. Who really cares if the cost on an 8 - 10 million unit game is 80,000 units or 150,000 units? I made my point that it wouldn't be impactful, and people such as yourself have determined that every word I utter has to be absolute fact, or I am letting down my adoring public. I don't care if haters hate, and don't particularly care if I say something without checking facts.

My day job (which I am paid for) consists of preparing models that are factually accurate and writing notes that are factually accurate. There are a few GAF members on my distribution, and AFAIK, I haven't been called out for writing something inaccurate in more than 10 years. I write 50 - 60 pages of single-spaced text a week, and check facts religiously.

BTW, I didn't use VG Chartz, Rohan did.

[Nintex]

michaelpachter said:
I don't get paid to do P-A, and otherwise have a very full schedule. I suppose I could spend another hour or so each time fact checking, but from my POV, if I say "50 million iPhones" when there are really 100 million, my comment doesn't change the fact of how many were sold. My POV is that the GAF audience takes things far too seriously. If I make a misstatement, call me out on it, and I won't get pissy and tell you to eat your hat made of poop. As I said, I didn't know how many BFBC2 units sold on PC, don't really care that I didn't know, and my answer was about whether pulling BF3 off Steam would hurt PC sales. Who really cares if BF3 sells 1 million or 3 million on PC? Steam might have been half of that, and if people have to go to Origin, it might cost them 10% of the 1.5 million they would have sold on Steam. Who really cares if the cost on an 8 - 10 million unit game is 80,000 units or 150,000 units? I made my point that it wouldn't be impactful, and people such as yourself have determined that every word I utter has to be absolute fact, or I am letting down my adoring public. I don't care if haters hate, and don't particularly care if I say something without checking facts.

My day job (which I am paid for) consists of preparing models that are factually accurate and writing notes that are factually accurate. There are a few GAF members on my distribution, and AFAIK, I haven't been called out for writing something inaccurate in more than 10 years. I write 50 - 60 pages of single-spaced text a week, and check facts religiously.
Ok thanks for clearing that up
Make him eat his poop hat!

oneils

[Nintex] said:

No one is valuing stock based on pachter's gametrailers videos. I mean, come on.

[Nintex]

oneils said:
No one is valuing stock based on pachter's gametrailers videos. I mean, come on.
Which is why I specifically stated garage developers with no money to spend on market research.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Taken out of context, a factual error or an opinion can be twisted into something its not. I really enjoy pach-attack and Pach is seems like a likable guy both on his and in the bonus round appearances. Interesting insights and opinions.

IceMarker

Kinda sucks you only film every month or so Mike, I remember the end of last 'season' having a few stale questions that were pretty much answered by the time you aired them, hopefully you and your producer can work out a way to film more frequently, barring your busy schedule.

michaelpachter

He speaks, and we freak
Neuromancer said:
Episode 225

Will Nintendo make a phone? (No)
Why do developers need so much money to make games? ($100K Salaries for 100-200 people)

I think I clearly misunderstood the question, apparently asking what % of budget is spent on level design, art, music, voice work, etc. To be honest (and I know it varies by game), I have no clue how the budgets are broken down.

Seda

Neuromancer said:
Episode 225

Will Nintendo make a phone? (No)
Why do developers need so much money to make games? ($100K Salaries for 100-200 people)

That second question is either just stupid, or poorly asked. Salaries always dominate costs of any business.

Fjordson

michaelpachter said:
I'll be a PAX Prime and have a session on Saturday at 4:30. We're going for an hour, I will answer all questions (to the best of my ability) for the first 30 minutes, then will be joined by Gary Whitta and Jeff Green to answer more questions.
Awesome. I was at your panel last year, was a lot of fun.

michaelpachter said:
I think I clearly misunderstood the question, apparently asking what % of budget is spent on level design, art, music, voice work, etc. To be honest (and I know it varies by game), I have no clue how the budgets are broken down.
Oh I thought you answered it pretty well.

krae_man

michaelpachter said:

You also forgot that Nintendo and Nokia worked on a phone together:

http://kotaku.com/5610857/rumor-nintendo--nokia-worked-on-a-phone-together

Episode was still fun to watch. Best part is always you trying to pronounce screen names:p

michaelpachter said:

Quoted for truth. Most people on this site have a weird retarded sense of entitlement. I watch your show because it's entertaining. Love the show Pach, fuck the haters

aa56fdf57bcb.gif

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Pachter has Gears 3 outselling Mario Kart 7 this Holiday? Mario Kart Wii outsold Gears 2 by like 5:1...
It's limited by the 3ds install base whereas the 360’s base is gargantuan by comparison. It's a reasonable prediction.

Freedom = $1.05 said:
It's limited by the 3ds install base whereas the 360’s base is gargantuan by comparison. It's a reasonable prediction.

Mario Kart 7 will probably launch with a bigger userbase than Mario Kart DS did and MKDS sold 25 million units. And he has Gears 3 selling 10m units when the series as a whole has sold 11m so far which would sort of pretty unprecedented growth.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Pachter has Gears 3 outselling Mario Kart 7 this Holiday? Mario Kart Wii outsold Gears 2 by like 5:1...
I'm curious, how many people owned a Wii at that time, and how many people will own a 3DS by the time MK7 is out? It's possible that Gears 3 outsells it during the holidays but I see MK7 having much longer legs.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Mario Kart 7 will probably launch with a bigger userbase than Mario Kart DS did and MKDS sold 25 million units. And he has Gears 3 selling 10m units when the series as a whole has sold 11m so far which would sort of pretty unprecedented growth.
That's assuming that the 3ds will be as successful as the DS, which is something I don't see happening. Gears is gears, it'll do decent bank.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Key word is this holiday. MK7 will more than likely outsell Gears 3 in the end. Everyone knows Nintendo's games have legs.

krae_man

MadOdorMachine said:
Key word is this holiday. MK7 will more than likely outsell Gears 3 in the end. Everyone knows Nintendo's games have legs.

My thoughts exactly.

Holiday sales of MK7 will be like 10-20% of what it sells overall, while Gears 3 holiday sales will be probably 70-80% of what it sells overall.

At least he mentioned FIFA. That game is a beast in europe. PC is getting it for the first time since years a version with all features. Interesting to see how it holds up saleswise and how the this years version will perform on consoles..

Pachter took credit for predicting WiiHD in the episode today by saying that the WiiU is the WiiHD, not a new console. Clearly, a completely different controller, massive power increase, and likely no architectural similarities is not a new console. And then he predicted the "actual new consoles" would have no upgrades to their gaming capabilities. These episodes are pretty amazing.

.hacked

It is called the WiiU and uses Wii controllers, most demos look like HD Wii games. I say it is pretty close to a WiiHD.

.hacked said:
It is called the WiiU and uses Wii controllers, most demos look like HD Wii games. I say it is pretty close to a WiiHD.

It's called the Playstation3, it uses PS2 controllers, and most demos look like HD PS2 games.

.hacked

PS3 does not use PS2 controllers. Similar design but not the same at all (blu tooth wireless, tilt sensor, and other minor improvements).

Ofcourse it's a new console... Completely new hardware, new online service, new controller, etc... Wii U games won't work on Wii.

Pachter is just being Pachter. Wii HD didn't happen, get over it.

Top Bottom