• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter: 10% boost in PS3 sales because of BR news, even better in the long term

Jtyettis said:
Only in some kind of fantasy world. One of which that doesn't include Gears 2 which all signs point to this fall as MS's big gun. A long term and a short term boon no doubt however.

Gears 2 will be huge, but Sony will have GT5 and perhaps other games like Little Big Planet and Resistance 2 on store shelves at about the same time. I don't think there's any question that Sony has a much, much stronger line-up this fall/holiday season even with Gears 2 launching.

His predictions might be conservative. A lot of people will make the HD jump now that they're aware there is a clear-cut winner. This is unquestionable. He is correct that retailers will be pushing the hell out of Blu Ray though. I'm already seeing this at Blockbuster and Wal Mart is definitely going to help. The people that were on the fence are going to go Blu Ray and I think a vast majority of those will be at the very least considering a PS3.

FrankT

Absinthe said:
Gears 2 will be huge, but Sony will have GT5 and perhaps other games like Little Big Planet and Resistance 2 on store shelves at about the same time. I don't think there's any question that Sony has a much, much stronger line-up this fall/holiday season even with Gears 2 launching.

His predictions might be conservative. A lot of people will make the HD jump now that they're aware there is a clear-cut winner. This is unquestionable. He is correct that retailers will be pushing the hell out of Blu Ray though. I'm already seeing this at Blockbuster and Wal Mart is definitely going to help. The people that were on the fence are going to go Blu Ray and I think a vast majority of those will be at the very least considering a PS3.

Yea, his predictions were "conservative" until he changed his prediction to 2/1 with just the mention of Gears heh. Not conservative in the least. Price point will still be a major player for Christmas 08 as well. Of course, time will tell, but I believe MS has a lot more wiggle room this year on that front. Although I do believe Sony has some price cutting to offer this year as well.

Jtyettis said:
Yea, his predictions were "conservative" until he changed his prediction to 2/1 with just the mention of Gears heh. Not conservative in the least. Price point will still be a major player for Christmas 08 as well. Of course, time will tell, but I believe MS has a lot more wiggle room this year on that front. Although I do believe Sony has some price cutting to offer this year as well.

Sony will counter with a price drop. So it's all irrelevant. I think that the ball is in Sony's court. They're going to have a console with built-in Blu Ray (which is a huge selling point). Microsoft might have a Blu Ray add on, but that doesn't compare to a console that has the feature built-in. Their software library is arguably, but believed by many, to be stronger than Microsoft's their year. The Playstation brand and family is strong. I think 2008 is going to be close and Sony will likely start all out domination in 2009.

squatingyeti said:
Links? I've got to read this. I can understand Toshiba thinking they might be able to swing something in the early going, but if they were going to do that, they needed to start swinging studios EARLY. They should have ponied up the money to swing studios. If they weren't going to do that, concessions for one format were the only choice. The look stupid now.

I think they deleted the thread. After DeathNote got done with it, i went in a did my own damage. You'd be surprised at the shit these people whine about.

Guys, where´s that table comparing the videogame sales until 2011 when 360 and wii will have a decrease ? And that drawing with the "crazy" dude drawing it? I need it now :lol

Sorry to bump just for this... :D

Opiate

Tideas said:
Just cuz you don't want it, doesn't mean majority doesn't. King of software = software majority of gamers WOULD want

Careful now. I'm aware this statement is responding to a 360-vs-PS3 fight, but it comes dangerously and unwittingly close to justifying the Wii's minigame collections and Petz games.

As to the topic at hand, it will be interesting to see how these sales work out -- I'm inclined to agree with Pachter's short term prediction of 10%, but not with his long term one, suggesting a "huge boon," whatever that means. In fact, I think the short term effect may be even larger, as I believe the majority of the people who were sitting on the fence were serious technophiles, and would be quick to snap up a player as soon as a victory was clear. Long term, I don't happen to believe many people care all that much about Blu Ray (I believe the majority of people upgrade formats for convenience, not for visual/audio quality) and I don't think those that do care will consistently buy a game player as a Blu Ray player, either, but we'll see. Time to put those theories to the test!

JB1981

I like how "reasonable" it is now to think that blu-ray is going to increase PS3 sales. Love GAF analysts.

I remember the days when it was the bane of the company's existence, a failure, a market miscalculation. You guys are amusing.

Snah

Banned
The PS3 is starting to hit its stride in 2008 earlier than expected mainly due to the Warner announcement. People don't give enough credit to what the victory of Blu-Ray means. Not evryone is going to care about it, but a lot of people see it as a feature set (and an important one). When the format war was in dispute, that feature set for the PS3 was basically non-existent. People don't like embracing standard formats that aren't completely decided. The January NPD was quite a surprise and reflects growing demand for the console.

I anticipate that the PS3 should outsell the Xbox 360 in North America until Microsoft drops the price (and only if Sony doesn't follow suit as well). With Blu-Ray being a legitimate platform now, along with the impending release of Metal Gear Solid 4 in June, Sony is looking pretty good for 2008 in terms of North America. I feel that all they really need to do is make sure that their console is priced within a reasonable range to the 360.

Japan is another story. Sales have gone down in the region, but I think that Japan will eventually come around but not as soon as Europe/North America. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe Metal Gear is quite as big in Japan as it is in western countries. It's going to take Final Fantasy to really push sales over there, and maybe even a hardware revision to make it smaller.

Crayon

I met a hot russian chick. In some casual conversation she told me she wanted a "PS3 with BluRay". I told her I had one. She came over to check it out. We knocked boots.

True story. As in, I'm not joking. BluRay wins.

J-Rzez

JB1981 said:
I like how "reasonable" it is now to think that blu-ray is going to increase PS3 sales. Love GAF analysts.

I remember the days when it was the bane of the company's existence, a failure, a market miscalculation. You guys are amusing.

Only thing that they were right about with Blu-Ray slowing sales was initial start-up, and anyone could see that with a $600 price tag. Once again, it WAS a great value THEN, but now with the prices getting lower, the effect is going to get more and more dramatic. I have people asking me about it all the time now. My neighbor is 58years old, and now he got sweet 81-series Samsung, so he was asking about Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. He told me he read the recent news and was ready to take the plunge. Best part was, he started asking me about "so, what is there for me if I wanted to take up the gaming aspect of the PS3". He bought a PS3, 12 BR movies, Uncharted, CoD4, and Motorstorm.

Another selling point, and Sony did a really good job with this, outside of it being updated as a player, and quality playback/features, is the PS3 is a sexy looking piece of hardware that people wouldn't be ashamed to have it sitting under their set.

Definetly going to be a good year for them now I imagine.

Top Bottom