• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter: NeoGAF 'Too Goddamned Beautiful' To Do Actual Forecasts

Status
Not open for further replies.
PantherLotus said:
Not sure where I'm coming in at, but I'll assert the following:

1. Pachter's predictions aren't that bad usually, it's just that he lets his mouth do more talking than his work. As a professional of his caliber he should know better.

2. He is currently suffering from a huge backlash against his prediction that the PS3 and 360 would really take off. He got caught up in the hype...or he has a singular focus on American sales which could really blind somebody trying to judge an industry that is historically precedent-setting in Japan.

3. While I and I'm sure many others around here (esp. the Sales-Age kids) would take the pepsi challenge to his shit any day...I don't think he's that far off about the majority of people that have no idea what they're talking about. This is the same forum that produced such fine gems as jimbo, the guy that thought the 360 was making a come back in Japan.

As a professional, Pachter should rise above the fray and not be concerned about message board posters. Singling out NeoGaf shows he's actually concerned about what we say than a man in his position should be or cares to be...

michaelpachter

He speaks, and we freak
I love this site, and find the content entertaining and illuminating. I am hopeful that my comments about the group's predictions were taken in good humor, as I intentionally mentioned the forum to compliment the efforts put in by the various posters each month. I was serious that I started publishing monthly console forecasts only in response to SonyCowboy's request, and I find the competition fierce and humbling.

Also, I think all of your mothers are beautiful, and produced fine offspring.

Thanks for all of the attention. I'm not worth it. You guys rock. I sure miss those chili cheese fries, though.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Amused_To_Death said:
Singling out NeoGaf shows he's actually concerned about what we say than a man in his position should be or cares to be...

you know how it is dog! i mean pathcher puts us right behind CHILI CHEESE FRYS as the single most discomfiting influence on his life and i think we of sales age can all attest to the damage CHILI CHEESE FRYS have done to our waistlines and the cleanliness of our videogame preorder t shirts and our chances of ever making it with a girl

pilonv1 said:
So you've seen all his numbers then?

No, but we do get to see the monthly ones, as it says in the OP. See my post above where he admits the 360 numbers are 200k per month over his predictions. Obviously he wasn't referring to the 360--I think he overshot its sales every single month of 2006. Sure, he was probably close for the big 3 consoles in 2003, 2004, and 2005--they were all virtual repeats of 2002. But he fell flat on his face when the generation turned, on all 3 new consoles' performances to date.

That's what I mean by "a distortion of the truth".

I'm sure next year, when things settle into the pattern they're going to stay in for the rest of this gen, his predictions will go back to being good.

michaelpachter said:
I love this site, and find the content entertaining and illuminating. I am hopeful that my comments about the group's predictions were taken in good humor, as I intentionally mentioned the forum to compliment the efforts put in by the various posters each month.

Biting sarcasm, surely?

michaelpachter said:
I love this site, and find the content entertaining and illuminating. I am hopeful that my comments about the group's predictions were taken in good humor, as I intentionally mentioned the forum to compliment the efforts put in by the various posters each month. I was serious that I started publishing monthly console forecasts only in response to SonyCowboy's request, and I find the competition fierce and humbling.

Thanks for all of the attention. I'm not worth it. You guys rock. I sure miss those chili cheese fries, though.
do u no michael patcher?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Pachter is always wrong.

And he is trying to get T2's stock to fall so that another company can buy them out. That's why he freaks out every time they are doing well.

Pimpwerx

No one deserves to be paid for making predictions. Maybe horse handicappers, but no one else. Seriously, it's as sketchy an industry as any. Just that cycles are much longer than others. PEACE.

Reilly

michaelpachter said:

joke account?

michaelpachter said:

WOW. if dude is true, don't drive him away gaf!

Tobor

michaelpachter said:

So we can expect to see you in the NPD thread next month?

Grecco

Pachter throwing the gauntlet. :lol

Sorry but GAF holds analysts accountable. Someone has to question when they make absurd projections, projections that are wrong (DS vs PSP LaWL) or cracy comments like "TAKE TWO will delay GTA regular SKU"

well, after listening to the podcast, he really did say 'the average gaffer', in which case he'd win easily.

so i guess he is right!

and there's 1 post found for michaelpachter, yet the profile shows 100 posts (member) which might indicate an admin padded his post count to make him a member, which would either mean a serious joke account or the real deal.

Stench

Banned
Y2Kev said:
How exactly do we do that?
istockphoto_3152404_shocked.jpg

michaelpachter said:

So, do you get angry that people continually misspell your name?

Ranger X

On an 'apples to apples' basis, $60 is a bargain. And the content of a PS3 game is a lot greater, or an Xbox 360 game, than the content of the first generation PSone games."

Oh my God. I cannot disagree more!
It's not all gamers that thinks games are ephemere pleasures. This mentality sucks. Like a good music album, some old games can be played again. Some are truly great.
And you know what Patcher? Some are truly better than ANY PS3 and 360 games to date.

The Faceless Master said:
well, after listening to the podcast, he really did say 'the average gaffer', in which case he'd win easily.

so i guess he is right!

and there's 1 post found for michaelpachter, yet the profile shows 100 posts (member) which might indicate an admin padded his post count to make him a member, which would either mean a serious joke account or the real deal.

As Evil said, he's real. And I think we've seen that some folks take these message boards in the right stride and know how to have fun with it. Jaffe, N'Gai, and Pachter. HW sales are only secondary to his coverage of the US publisher's, but my contention is that they are a very good indicator of how a given publisher will perform.

I know many folks like to be caustic, know-it-all, tough guys, but let's keep this all in perspective. His monthly previews have been the basis for our contests for 2 years or so and he's only doing hardware because we've called for it.

ToxicAdam

I love GAF. We make superstars out of analysts, PR suits and game reviewers .. and routinely ignore the people that actually make the games.

kenta

Has no PEINS
michaelpachter said:

ahem

his name is Patcher

IceIpor

sonycowboy said:
As Evil said, he's real. And I think we've seen that some folks take these message boards in the right stride and know how to have fun with it. Jaffe, N'Gai, and Pachter. HW sales are only secondary to his coverage of the US publisher's, but my contention is that they are a very good indicator of how a given publisher will perform.

I know many folks like to be caustic, know-it-all, tough guys, but let's keep this all in perspective. His monthly previews have been the basis for our contests for 2 years or so and he's only doing hardware because we've called for it.

And I'm sure many of us are thankful for that.
His predictions are one of the reasons why NeoGAF is so active during certain times of the month.

michaelpachter said:
I love this site [etc, etc]

Hahaha. You gained my loyalty.

donny2112

CowGirl said:
So in summary:

Pachter "my published predictions are lousy, but my secret numbers that no-one sees are ALWAYS spot on!"

Exactly. :lol

Actually, he did pretty good in April. He was #25 for the month. He's also #46 by the points system for the last three months (i.e. the months his full predictions have been posted).

Also, I've edited in Pachter's 2007/2008 predictions to the U.S. 2007 thread, so we can be sure to include him in those rankings. ;)

michaelpachter said:

I think this is really him, guys! :D

EviLore said:

Cool.

Welcome (5 months late), Mr. Pachter. :)

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
michaelpachter said:

You should join us for the Media Create threads!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom