• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter: Nintendo in disarray, blown it with Wii U.

Can we not just have one big "LOL Pachter" thread? I know its supposed to be new thread for new news but its just been the same old crap for 5 years now

I don't think you can really judge a console before the pricing announcement as having failed. Giving MS and Sony over a year to plan against your launch price would be pointless. Too little is known about the Wii U to make this call.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
This thread is more fun than Pachter's comments.

Posted here?!
Hell! I got a snide PM from him once!
XD

I think he told me he hated me once, or something like that. If he was a troll, he wouldn't have taken this shit from what I guess are mostly teenager gamers so seriously. He's just a big headed, self-important, egotistical person who is mentally still a kid. Somewhat pathetic.

These threads are always awesome. A dude that makes 6 figures to make observations for investors is belittled by a bunch of raging man babies who don't understand what he is even talking about. Never change GAF. Keep up the good work Michael.

Thing is, earning a lot of money neither makes you smart nor is proof that you're smart. As should be quite obvious by looking at who gets rich and how.

hatchx

Banned
This discussion already happened a few pages ago and whichever side of the fence you sit on its undeniable that there are at least several advantages to resistive over capacitive

Drawing. Drawing is a big part of the Wii U pad. So resistive is not antiquated whatsoever.

Can we rename this thread in "Can Pachter please just shut the fuck up or develop an objective opinion about Nintendo"?

hatchx said:
Drawing. Drawing is a big part of the Wii U pad. So resistive is not antiquated whatsoever.
Wait, wha-?

Pachter jokes are so last gen.. Oh wait!

Is there a reason Wii U can't be $249?

It is the price point I had a predicted a while ago.. $249 is Nintendo's target audience. $299 is not, unless Nintendo thinks that pent up demand for a new console from the core market segment will fuel holiday demand?

I think he told me he hated me once, or something like that. If he was a troll, he wouldn't have taken this shit from what I guess are mostly teenager gamers so seriously. He's just a big headed, self-important, egotistical person who is mentally still a kid. Somewhat pathetic.

Thing is, earning a lot of money neither makes you smart nor is proof that you're smart. As should be quite obvious by looking at who gets rich and how.
I think Pachter is probably amused at the amount of vitriol he gets over business opinions and predictions in a board full of gamers. It's not like he's a reviewer who slags every Nintendo release.

I think Pachter is probably amused at the amount of vitriol he gets over business opinions and predictions in a board full of gamers. It's not like he's a reviewer who slags every Nintendo release.

Sounds logical but I'm not at all convinced. Hopefully he's grown up a little, but I think he always acted like a spoiled immature brat and he never looked as if he had enough wisdom to act like an adult among children and young adults. This shouldn't even have been difficult on GAF, which is actually a pretty mature forum imo.

He kind of is like a reviewer of business decisions, who slags every business decision that Nintendo makes, even though they usually end up making the company shitloads of money.

Deadbeat

Banned
So what did Nintendo do to have the industry constantly wanting them to fail? I would like to know. Its never been clearly explained.

Pachter jokes are so last gen.. Oh wait!

Is there a reason Wii U can't be $249?

It is the price point I had a predicted a while ago.. $249 is Nintendo's target audience. $299 is not, unless Nintendo thinks that pent up demand for a new console from the core market segment will fuel holiday demand?

With the hints we've got about the specs $249 wouldn't surprise me as long as nintendo are prepared to take a small loss

Nintendo should use a capacitive screen for the sole reason because APPLE uses one

People are going to compare the Wii U Pad to an iPad, and if it can't do multitouch people will backlash, big time!

You can see it already in this thread. If Nintendo was using a capactive screen NO ONE would be complaining.

theBishop

Banned
I'm not at all impressed by what Nintendo has shown on WiiU. But what a dumb comment. At this point WiiU is a moving target, nobody knows what it will actually be, or what it will cost. You can't dismiss hardware that doesn't really exist yet.

michaelpachter

He speaks, and we freak
My speech was about the potential for growth of social gaming. I am pretty sure it was taped and posted on gamerlive.tv

The Wii U comment was in response to a question about the potential for the Wii U.

I believe (and please feel free to disagree) that a large portion of the Wii audience comprised casual gamers--those who bought one or two games a year the first two years, then put the Wii aside--and that those casual gamers moved on to another platform. The "other" platform may have been Facebook games, smart phone games, tablet games, or one of the other consoles, but once they moved on, they are not likely to come back.

At the same time, I believe (again, please feel free to disagree) that the growth of smart phones and tablets has attracted many potential dedicated handheld game customers, and these people also are unlikely to come back to either 3DS or PS Vita.

Summing this up, I think the addressable market for the Wii U is around half of the market for the Wii, and I think Microsoft and Sony will compete for a portion of that market if the Wii U is priced too high. I think that the dedicated handheld market is permanently impacted by smart phones and tablets, and think that Nintendo's addressable market is probably also half of its former market.

Nintendo is in disarray because they waited too long to launch the Wii U. I know that this sounds like (and is) sour grapes because they didn't launch the Wii HD in 2009 or 2010 as I "predicted". They should have, and because they didn't, the decline in Wii and DS hardware and software sales drove them into generating LOSSES. For those of you who aren't financial analysts, losses mean that the company is worth less than it was before. Nintendo stock has dropped by over 80% in the last few years, and the market has appreciated over the same period. I'm paid to advise investors, and none have made a profit owning Nintendo stock. I don't think that many will make a profit over the next few years, because I don't think Nintendo's strategy will return them to profitability.

If the context above infuriates you, go back to school and pay attention, then read it again ;-)

Nintendo should use a capacitive screen for the sole reason because APPLE uses one

People are going to compare the Wii U Pad to an iPad, and if it can't do multitouch people will backlash, big time!

You can see it already in this thread. If Nintendo was using a capactive screen NO ONE would be complaining.
Except people who want a more accurate screen.

Bam, y'all just got Pach Attached.

Thanks for the full explanation. I'm sure there is an organization out there that paid lots of money for that same insight that we just got for free. :)

royalan

Nintendo is in disarray because they waited too long to launch the Wii U. I know that this sounds like (and is) sour grapes because they didn't launch the Wii HD in 2009 or 2010 as I "predicted". They should have, and because they didn't, the decline in Wii and DS hardware and software sales drove them into generating LOSSES. For those of you who aren't financial analysts, losses mean that the company is worth less than it was before. Nintendo stock has dropped by over 80% in the last few years, and the market has appreciated over the same period. I'm paid to advise investors, and none have made a profit owning Nintendo stock. I don't think that many will make a profit over the next few years, because I don't think Nintendo's strategy will return them to profitability.

I...actually agree with the bolded.

If the context above infuriates you, go back to school and pay attention, then read it again ;-)

I have a degree in marketing, and I was also the guy on the NTDOY yahoo finance message boards (under the same handle: eastofeastside) predicting the big drops in Nintendo stock before they happened (countering 'analysts' from Seeking Alpha who were cheerleading it) and I find your take entirely logical and well reasoned. The only thing I would add, is that I think the addressable market for Wii U is less than half of Wii. Also, annual jumps in smart phone tech are going to eventually leave the traditional portable market in the dust.

When do you predict Nintendo will go third-party to mobile, i.e. Apple iOS?

friend, there would be a big cost difference... You can get a resistive 6.2 inch touch screen in bulk for a few dollars.. Might be a hint as to Wii U's pricing, which is why I agree with Pachter's $249.

Which is no one, if we go by the number of people who own phones with capacitive screens rather than resistive ones.

Also lol @ 3DS' screen being more "accurate" than the iPhone's screen.

Can't directly comment about iphones but the 3ds screen controlled by a stylus is far more accurate than any phone I've used

To give a relevant example while browsing gaf on my phone I often get the wrong page of a thread, never have that problem on 3ds

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
For those of you who aren't financial analysts, losses mean that the company is worth less than it was before.

WDapm.jpg

Instro

This bit cracked me up a little.

Glad to see you back, Mr. Pachter. I hope some of our less level-headed members won't scare you away again and you'll hang out with us on here in Sales-Age.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Nintendo is in disarray because they waited too long to launch the Wii U. I know that this sounds like (and is) sour grapes because they didn't launch the Wii HD in 2009 or 2010 as I "predicted". They should have, and because they didn't, the decline in Wii and DS hardware and software sales drove them into generating LOSSES.
What about the impact of Yen in all this? Surely, the reason for losses are due to the 3DS price cut and Yen's appreciation. They may be selling less Wii and DS hardware, but afaik it's still profitable for them. And let's assume they released the Wii U in 2010, what can they do if Sony and MS arrive with significantly powerful machines 2-3 years later? I agree with your comment that the potential market for Wii U has dwindled a bit, though.

Curufinwe

Pachter keeps saying Nintendo should have released a Wii HD in 2009 or 2010 without ever saying how much money that new console would have cost Nintendo to develop, manufacture and market. Given that 40 millions Wiis were sold worldwide in 2009 and 2010, all of them at a profit, releasing a new console would likely have just made Nintendo start losing money even earlier.

This discussion already happened a few pages ago and whichever side of the fence you sit on its undeniable that there are at least several advantages to resistive over capacitive

Maybe I'm OCD, but I hate getting fingerprints all over my screens. So a resistive touchscreen sounds OK to me.

Glad to see you back, Mr. Pachter. I hope some of our less level-headed members won't scare you away again and you'll hang out with us on here in Sales-Age.
Honestly, it's getting hard enough for not so famous GAFers to get a word in without it being distorted all to hell. I feel sorry for those of us here that have any level of notoriety.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
To this day I still fail to see the point to the ipad

Surfing, reading, gaming without waiting for my PC to boot. I'm using one right now. :)

The reason why it's being sold is well... A different story. :p

No worries. Judging by the explosive growth of tablets at the expense of PCs and the death of netbooks, every else does :)

Actually isn't it just Ipads that have had explosive growth not tablets in general? People buy them because they're cool

It's a shame netbooks are dying because a netbook with a touch screen seems to me a far far more practical device than a tablet will ever be

Top Bottom