• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter - "Nintendo Isn't That Smart". Thinks Nintendo should drop hybrid Switch model.

Speaking with GamingBolt in a recent interview, Pachter said that the Switch’s hybrid concept isn’t one that gets a lot of use, and that the smart thing for Nintendo to do would be to drop the console side of things and turn the Switch into a purely handheld device.

“I don’t really understand the whole hybrid concept,” Pachter told GamingBolt. “I think that was something Iwata did to differentiate the Switch, and he wanted to have a console that could go back and forth from console to portable. But I don’t think most people play it in both modes, I would say that maybe 20% of Switch owners play both modes; and I think most Switch owners play it handheld only. So I honestly don’t understand the whole point of the hybrid. Who cares? Play it as a handheld.”

“And Nintendo isn’t that smart,” he continued, “so you never know what they will do next, but I think the smart thing would be to get rid of the Switch console and only have the Switch Lite, get rid of the docking station, get rid of playing on the TV; maybe offer a Fire Stick style dongle for those who do want to play it on the TV. But I just think that a portable-only Switch makes the most sense, it’s the cheapest to make, and they could make the screen nicer and the build quality better.”
Source: https://gamingbolt.com/nintendo-sho...and-only-have-the-switch-lite-michael-pachter

How is this guy still employed?

CuNi

Literally only thing holding me back is the Handheld mode.
Drop that, make a TV only Version and I'm in baby!

It's clearly a missed opportunity by Nintendo.
I know I'm not the majority by far, but I would say there is a good percentage of people who would jump the gun and buy a Switch for the TV only with no handheld mode, so it's kinda a knowingly missed sale.

GamesAreFun

Banned
I personally agree - the Switch is selling great, but only if you forget Nintendo previously sold two consoles. The Switch was supposed to have greater software output, but this hasn't happened.

I think a lower-priced handheld console would make sense for Nintendo, the Switch is still priced too high for the "casual parent" consumer who buys it for their kid.

I'm waiting for a non-handheld Switch, zero interest in the tablet.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Pachter is an interesting voice for the in industry but this is just an absolutely shitty take. Out of the 7 people I know who have a Switch, every single one of them uses it primarily in Docked Mode, and by primarily I mean it doesn't leave the fucking dock.

The whole POINT of the Switch was that it was both a handheld and a home console., Nintendo can market one console for both types of users, aggregate their development efforts, etc. And it's payed off with a great library and wide-ranging appeal (not to mention setting sales records). Awful stuff Pach.

Tranquil

I think I remember having to use the switch in handheld mode to setup it up the first time. That was the only time I've ever used it in handheld mode.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i was like, "who is this?" then google showed me
At times, Pachter criticizes the sentiments of video gamers. For example, with regard to controversy over the ending of Mass Effect 3, he said "That incident was a great example of what a whiny group gamers are in general," saying that "[game publisher Electronic Arts] handled it fine." He argued that gamers should be less demanding, or else "whiny gamers are only going to cause their beloved games to take even longer between episodes."
On October 15, 2016, Pachter referred to former Nintendo president Satoru Iwata as "the late and not so great" in episode 41 of his series Pachter Factor on YouTube, which was criticized by the gaming community. Pachter later apologized on Twitter for "speaking ill of the dead".
sounds like a douchebag

Last edited:
I personally agree - the Switch is selling great, but only if you forget Nintendo previously sold two consoles. The Switch was supposed to have greater software output, but this hasn't happened.

I think a lower-priced handheld console would make sense for Nintendo, the Switch is still priced too high for the "casual parent" consumer who buys it for their kid.

august-2020-sales-7-1.png

Switch Vs. 3DS and Wii U Global:

Gap change in latest month: 937,313 – Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 10,695,950 – Switch

Total Lead: 7,163,819 – Switch

Switch Total Sales: 63,403,962

3DS and Wii U Total Sales: 56,240,143

August 2020 is the 42md month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Switch by 937,313 units when compared to the combined sales of the 3DS and Wii U during the same timeframe. In the last 12 months, the gap has grown in favor of the Switch by 10.70 million units. The Switch leads by 7.16 million units.

The 3DS launched in February 2011 (however, 3DS sales have been aligned to March 2011, since it only launched at the end of February in Japan), the Wii U launched in November 2012, and the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. The holiday periods between the Switch and 3DS lineup, however, the Wii U holiday is offset from the Switch.

The 42nd month for the Nintendo Switch is August 2020, for the Nintendo 3DS it is August 2014 and for the Wii U it is April 2016. The Switch has sold 63.40 million units, while the 3DS and Wii U have sold 56.24 million units during the same timeframe. The 3DS and Wii U did not reach current Switch sales until month 49.

The 3DS and Wii U have sold 89.34 million units lifetime through August 2020. The Switch is 25.94 million units behind the 3DS and Wii U. The Wii U has been off the market for several years only selling 13.56 million units lifetime, while the 3DS has sold 75.78 million units to date and is now selling under 5,000 units per week.

Source

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

I wouldn’t own a switch if it was just a handheld.

Nintendo already makes the Switch Lite that doesn't switch, lol

That said I wouldn't play things like Ring Fit Adventure on the tiny screen, the hybrid I'd definitely want to keep around. Make the Switch higher performance with a Pro, make the Lite push into the lower price ranges.

Last edited:

nahcir

Neo Member
Well, it is essentially just a handheld with the ability to connect to an HDMI-display. Meaning that - effectively - Nintendo just dropped their home console and placed all their bets on the handheld, with the home user kind of as a second thought. Seems to be working out great so far, though. Ruins the possibility of me getting a Nintendo console in the near future however, the Nintendo crowd has always been ... special ;-)

GamesAreFun

Banned
august-2020-sales-7-1.png

Switch Vs. 3DS and Wii U Global:

Gap change in latest month: 937,313 – Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 10,695,950 – Switch

Total Lead: 7,163,819 – Switch

Switch Total Sales: 63,403,962

3DS and Wii U Total Sales: 56,240,143

August 2020 is the 42md month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Switch by 937,313 units when compared to the combined sales of the 3DS and Wii U during the same timeframe. In the last 12 months, the gap has grown in favor of the Switch by 10.70 million units. The Switch leads by 7.16 million units.

The 3DS launched in February 2011 (however, 3DS sales have been aligned to March 2011, since it only launched at the end of February in Japan), the Wii U launched in November 2012, and the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. The holiday periods between the Switch and 3DS lineup, however, the Wii U holiday is offset from the Switch.

The 42nd month for the Nintendo Switch is August 2020, for the Nintendo 3DS it is August 2014 and for the Wii U it is April 2016. The Switch has sold 63.40 million units, while the 3DS and Wii U have sold 56.24 million units during the same timeframe. The 3DS and Wii U did not reach current Switch sales until month 49.

The 3DS and Wii U have sold 89.34 million units lifetime through August 2020. The Switch is 25.94 million units behind the 3DS and Wii U. The Wii U has been off the market for several years only selling 13.56 million units lifetime, while the 3DS has sold 75.78 million units to date and is now selling under 5,000 units per week.

Source

The Switch can't even beat the DS.

august-2020-sales-5-2.png

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I won't rag on Pachter because it seems as though most analysts of the games industry are wrong far more often than they're right - so he's in good company. Speaking personally, the hybrid approach is the primary reason I was interested in and purchased a Switch. I play it docked about 80% of the time. If it was portable only I don't care how good Zelda and Mario were, I wouldn't have purchased one.

Well whatever Nintendo are doing they are doing it right. Sony and MS would kill for the kind of attach rates Nintendo get.

This is why: https://www.pcmag.com/picks/best-ni...t_uuid=01jrZgWNXhmA3ocG7ZHXevj&test_variant=a

I googled what games are good for 2020, and half are like launch year games on that list

Of course they sell millions because switch still have like 10-20 quality games.

On Playstation there are hundreds of games, so sales spread on bigger number of games

Trogdor1123

I used to 100% be in the same mindset as Pachter but once I got a switch I totally recognize my error.

The additional utility is great. I think I posted about me eating crow in the past.

BabyYoda

Banned
I'm really not a fan of the Switch, but man is Pachter clueless here, the hybrid nature of the device is I'd say the main reason it has done so well, I wish all consoles and PC had that ability and in a way, the Xbox already does (with the streaming to mobile tech and Xcloud).

FrostyLemon

PS4 is selling great, but only if you forget Sony previously sold two consoles.

Fair, but the Switch is $300 with no price drops and the DS was $150 at launch (with $30 games) and received a $130 enhanced remodel (DSL) less than two years in with a holiday price of $99 at most retailers. Kind of hard to compare the two when the DS (154m) sits right next to the PS2 (155m) as the greatest selling video game device of all time.

Fbh

If, according to him, the vast majority of people don't care about the hybrid nature of the console and almost everyone uses it exclusively as a handheld, why isn't the cheaper hand held only Switch lite destroying the regular model in sales?

Looking at the Amazon top selling videogame products. The Animal Crossing regular Switch is at number 6, the regular Switch is at number 26, and the first Switch Lite on the list is all the way down at 69.
Even in Japan where handheld is king, looking at the past 4 weeks of famitsu sales reports the OG Switch is usually outselling the lite model by 2:1

Last edited:

tkscz

I wouldn’t own a switch if it was just a handheld.

You and like pretty much everyone who bought the thing. Regardless of how some people on GAF feel about it, the Switch is selling on the fact that it's a handheld.

iconmaster

Banned

A lot of consoles couldn't beat the DS. Like, almost all of them.

I never undock mine and only use the pro controller.

That's great. Meanwhile, at our house we almost always play portable.

That's the Switch's strength -- it adapts to all kinds of gamers and situations. The flexibility is key to its popularity.

Pachter has less idea what he's talking about than usual.

Last edited:

reptilex

Banned
Patcher is for once right...a full year after the fact, when we already knew it was the stupidest idea as soon as the rumors were confirmed.

As someone who has worked in trend analysis and prospective I can tell you: anybody can be a PR (they're not analyst) like Patcher, Ming-Kuo etc...

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Isn't Pachter still due to eat a hat or two? I can't remember what he said, but it was along the lines of, "If _____ does that I'll eat my hat" And then whomever did exactly that.

Barakov

He has had some bad takes but this is probably the worst of them. Game industry wise as long as you do the opposite of what he says you'll generally be okay.

Top Bottom