• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter - "Nintendo Isn't That Smart". Thinks Nintendo should drop hybrid Switch model.

Bragr

Banned
Pacter don't actually play games and some things he's completely ignorant about, this is clearly one. He's problaby never even tried the docked mode.

Being able to use it as a console and handheld is THE thing that makes it enticing, playing Zelda in handheld is cool, but if I was forced to play Odyssey and Zelda on a fucking handheld at all times and not being able to put it on the big screen, it would lose 90% of it's luster.

Actually his final point in your quote is quite interesting.

I wonder how compact they could get the Switch Lite without the screen and battery. If they could make a super cheap TV stick that could get a lot of interest from those with no interest in handheld.

Sadly I'm pretty sure he's referring to display mirroring

AJUMP23

Gold Member
IT is good to see that we think the video game analyst is a moron. Because he is. I play my switch in both modes and so does my son. If they did release a version that was TV only with 4k graphics I would probably get it because I like Nintendo games.

IF Nintendo didn't innovate this generation and have a unique console experience I think they may consider going the way of SEGA to software only. Nintendo has lead the innovation in video games for a couple generations now. You could argue MS with their investment in XCLOUD is trying to create a switch like opportunity for your games. Play on your home box or mobile box.

It's Pachter. So... basically Nintendo should stay with their Hybrid model.

Now, for serious, I love that the Switch is a hybrid. It's what Wii U should've been. While Wii U felt limiting and awkward, the Switch is simple and feels like freedom. I use it in both docked and handheld mode and in the self-standing tv mode. Want to play in the living room? Dock it. My wife wants to use the TV and I want to stay, take it in handheld. Want to play as I'm about to sleep? Handheld with headphones. On a cabin trip? Handheld, with the added benefit of being easily charged at the cabin (using solar) and being used as a mini-tv for co-op/multiplayer couch gameplay. It's so flexible and so simple.

Jeeves

If anything I might like it more if it didn't have a portable mode. I generally keep it docked and use the pro controller.

The battery keeps it protected from power failures though, which is pretty awesome and honestly something I wouldn't mind seeing in normal consoles. Even if it's just like ten minutes of emergency power.

AndrewRyan

This seems easy to validate by comparing sales of the Switch vs Switch Lite. I play primarily as handheld but would play in docked more often with a more powerful Pro version that could do 60 fps and maybe higher resolution.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
He's not really an analyst. What analyst gives away their analysis for free?

He sells analysis, sure, but his public statements are PR / market manipulation.

HE works for WEBBUSH securities as an analyst in the video games and tech sector. He sells his stock analysis to their clients. You can subscribe to it. But he also likes the little bit of fame he has gotten. He was well known in the industry because he always had one of the biggest E3 parties thrown by his firm.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Pachter translation: Nintendo is smart.

I still remember when he said the Wii U was going to be a huge success. In that instant, I knew it was going to be a rough few years.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
HE works for WEBBUSH securities as an analyst in the video games and tech sector. He sells his stock analysis to their clients. You can subscribe to it. But he also likes the little bit of fame he has gotten. He was well known in the industry because he always had one of the biggest E3 parties thrown by his firm.
I'm quite familiar with his schtick. I'm saying he gives public advice to sway markets, that's the objective.

The Switch can't even beat the DS.

august-2020-sales-5-2.png

The DS was a monster. Honest question, what are the attach rates? I heard, but haven’t confirmed that Switch attach rates for games are really high.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Tough to beat a handheld that was a traditional game system, an iPhone game system, and a quasi-app ecosystem with everything from brain training to cooking.

The reach was so much wider, with so much less competition.

Astral Dog

I personally agree - the Switch is selling great, but only if you forget Nintendo previously sold two consoles. The Switch was supposed to have greater software output, but this hasn't happened.

I think a lower-priced handheld console would make sense for Nintendo, the Switch is still priced too high for the "casual parent" consumer who buys it for their kid.

I'm waiting for a non-handheld Switch, zero interest in the tablet.
If you think the Switch has few games as it is just imagine if they had two consoles to support again

The Switch is a big success in every way

-Arcadia-

Banned
If you think the Switch has few games as it is just imagine if they had two consoles to support again

The Switch is a big success in every way

Yep, and both of them with games demanding more development work and time than Wii U/3DS ever did (a dedicated console would probably be closer to PS4).

I flat-out don’t think a solo handheld, with its own library, would have been sustainable.

StormCell

Pachter is a market analyst who isn't even remotely into the hobby. He likely crunches numbers and sometimes finds data trends that point to a certain outcome, but he probably has no idea what makes a gamer like a game. He probably has some data sources that depict market reception of a product reveal or something, but don't be surprised if he couldn't tell a PS5 from an Xbox Series X.

Rat Rage

I truly believe that Patcher is only saying all this dumb shit to try to devaluate Nintendo stock while owning the stock himself, so that he can buy more for less and eventually turn more of a profit. HOWEVER, that would also mean, Patcher still had some credibility as a gaming analyst (I'm not even sure there was ever a time when that was the case), so I might be wrong. Or... I'm right, and he hasn't realized that he doesn't have any credibility anymore and therefore continues to spout all this nonsense. I think that might be it.

Chiggs

In my opinion, Michael Pachter is a terrible human being, who probably fails to please his wife between the sheets, cheats on his taxes, and ignores his children.

Fitzchiv

He's right. They should make the Switch handheld only.

But they should also release another proper TV console too.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
He only says what is in his best interest to say.

There is nothing genuine about anything he says to the press like that. And we shouldn't be quoting him anymore.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Some of the stuff he says I agree with but this is one of the things I'm going to have to greatly disagree with.

For a very long time by remember literally predicting this is what Nintendo was going to do for very obvious reasons that I think some of the community could not really get their heads around it's as if they could not see the forest from the trees. The combo of having to install bases and one for dedicated Home console and one for portable worked for Nintendo... the Wii and 3DS combo work for Nintendo but I believe the ridiculous amount of casual consumers that purchase the Wii may have gave Nintendo a false understanding about their install base as in they did not know that they had a fluctuating install base that was not healthy consumers but individuals who were not even Gamers who had no real intent to return so these inflated numbers made Nintendo believe that there was more people looking to purchase their home consoles...

I believe the GameCube might be the most realistic representation of the amount of Hardcore consumers that really actually cared about purchasing Nintendo systems as actual Gamers to game on.

Nintendo for an extremely long time has had the majority of their core install base actually be there portable Market. So when a lot of that Wii fad died down their portable Market was the one that was the most solid and remained. The Wii U's failure may have came as a surprise to many people but to me I felt like it was completely inevitable because I did not really buy that the individuals who purchased the Wii were actual healthy consumers as in people who legitimately want to be part of that ecosystem and will continue purchasing Nintendo products...

The only obvious solution was to Simply make a system that was portable that gave the option that out with an HDMI. They could not afford to split their install base as it simply did not make any sense anymore. So when you have 3DS selling 75 million units which is literally half of what DS sold and you have the Wii U selling even worse than that it's simply does not make sense to continue to fragment that install base. The number of consumers who actually want to play the top Nintendo properties on a television or not as much as people realize considering it moved 14 million..

Let the theoretically say those consumers are fucking triggered that Nintendo did not make a dedicated Home console, who the fuck cares? There's such a small amount of consumers I don't really buy that they're honestly going to care that they're simply playing a portable connected to the television because Nintendo at the time wasn't even making the most high-tech Home console anyway which meant simply making it a portable came down to complete semantics.

Even when the codename was NX I knew that it was simply because it was them making a portable with an HDMI out option as X in Japan usually means the term cross, like cross over. They Don't Really carry the same meetings in the United States so I had a feeling that the theory I had in regards to where they were headed was likely very correct.

The way the mobile market is right now and the type of games Nintendo creates I do not see a benefit for them to ever split that install base.

I play my switch 90% in docked mode.... Stfu Patcher

lol agreed. I feel that isn't the majority though. Wii U vs 3DS likely shows most simply are not doing that, but that simply shows that it was the correct move by Nintendo. I don't believe they have a large enough market to really do dedicated home consoles anymore and it makes more sense to focus on portable and offer a HDMI out solution to the rest of us that care about gaming on the TV.

I'd rather game on a portable connected to the TV KNOWING I'm able to play 100% of what Nintendo is making, then have them make a home console and know I'm getting only a fraction of what they are putting out. With 3DS vs Wii U, its clear Wii U got the short end of that stick, but it should have NEVER been an either or.

So I agree with him on the part of "Pachter said that the Switch’s hybrid concept isn’t one that gets a lot of use" as its very, very likely that true, but even if they sell the fucking dock separate as an OPTION next time around, it will still be better then only doing a portable with no option to out.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
In terms of profitability year after year Nintendo might be the most successful company of all time. If Nintendo "isn't that smart" then the rest of the industry is made up of morons.

I’ve personally dont use the doc that came with my switch. Most games look god awful on the tv with their poor textures and low res. As far as I’m concerned the switch is a handheld.

Last edited:

ikbalCO

I am suprised this guy is still relevant. Like how many strikes does it take for an analyst to lose credibilty?

Any mobile phone or tablet device that can dock with a TV is now a console?

It's a handheld with convenience built in. Always has been always will be.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
By offering a portable console, they have something no other console maker has. The interesting part will be when cloud streaming eventually becomes mainstream and then everyone will have access to a portable console.

martino

dunno i wonder if nintendo could sell more with the 3 approach :
a portable
a hybrid
a home focusing on having power to deliver good scaled version of portable game on tv
of couse the portable stay the base version the rest scale on.
the base is now high enought for it to work imo

Last edited:

Spokker

If they made a non-handheld Switch Pro that ran games at higher resolutions and frame rates I'd be the first to pre-order...

...if they fixed drift. Fuck.

Last edited:

devilNprada

I personally am surprised so many people here hook it up to their TV's.
The people that don't use it as a portable at all, are really missing out..

Anyone have any numbers on the switch lite vs regular switch sales through these past few record breaking months?

Last edited:
Top Bottom