• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter - "Nintendo Isn't That Smart". Thinks Nintendo should drop hybrid Switch model.

wipeout364

I just came to say I bought the switch lite and have serious buyers remorse. I think not being able to play on the big screen is a serious drawback. So many Switch games look so much better on a big screen. If I had to do it over I would have bought the standard model.

Last edited:

Aidah

It's weird how he doesn't bother looking anything up. The version he wants canceled is the one that makes up the vast majority of current sales, despite the shortages and a 50% higher price.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Some of the stuff he says I agree with but this is one of the things I'm going to have to greatly disagree with.

For a very long time by remember literally predicting this is what Nintendo was going to do for very obvious reasons that I think some of the community could not really get their heads around it's as if they could not see the forest from the trees. The combo of having to install bases and one for dedicated Home console and one for portable worked for Nintendo... the Wii and 3DS combo work for Nintendo but I believe the ridiculous amount of casual consumers that purchase the Wii may have gave Nintendo a false understanding about their install base as in they did not know that they had a fluctuating install base that was not healthy consumers but individuals who were not even Gamers who had no real intent to return so these inflated numbers made Nintendo believe that there was more people looking to purchase their home consoles...

I believe the GameCube might be the most realistic representation of the amount of Hardcore consumers that really actually cared about purchasing Nintendo systems as actual Gamers to game on.

Nintendo for an extremely long time has had the majority of their core install base actually be there portable Market. So when a lot of that Wii fad died down their portable Market was the one that was the most solid and remained. The Wii U's failure may have came as a surprise to many people but to me I felt like it was completely inevitable because I did not really buy that the individuals who purchased the Wii were actual healthy consumers as in people who legitimately want to be part of that ecosystem and will continue purchasing Nintendo products...

The only obvious solution was to Simply make a system that was portable that gave the option that out with an HDMI. They could not afford to split their install base as it simply did not make any sense anymore. So when you have 3DS selling 75 million units which is literally half of what DS sold and you have the Wii U selling even worse than that it's simply does not make sense to continue to fragment that install base. The number of consumers who actually want to play the top Nintendo properties on a television or not as much as people realize considering it moved 14 million..

Let the theoretically say those consumers are fucking triggered that Nintendo did not make a dedicated Home console, who the fuck cares? There's such a small amount of consumers I don't really buy that they're honestly going to care that they're simply playing a portable connected to the television because Nintendo at the time wasn't even making the most high-tech Home console anyway which meant simply making it a portable came down to complete semantics.

Even when the codename was NX I knew that it was simply because it was them making a portable with an HDMI out option as X in Japan usually means the term cross, like cross over. They Don't Really carry the same meetings in the United States so I had a feeling that the theory I had in regards to where they were headed was likely very correct.

The way the mobile market is right now and the type of games Nintendo creates I do not see a benefit for them to ever split that install base.

lol agreed. I feel that isn't the majority though. Wii U vs 3DS likely shows most simply are not doing that, but that simply shows that it was the correct move by Nintendo. I don't believe they have a large enough market to really do dedicated home consoles anymore and it makes more sense to focus on portable and offer a HDMI out solution to the rest of us that care about gaming on the TV.

I'd rather game on a portable connected to the TV KNOWING I'm able to play 100% of what Nintendo is making, then have them make a home console and know I'm getting only a fraction of what they are putting out. With 3DS vs Wii U, its clear Wii U got the short end of that stick, but it should have NEVER been an either or.

So I agree with him on the part of "Pachter said that the Switch’s hybrid concept isn’t one that gets a lot of use" as its very, very likely that true, but even if they sell the fucking dock separate as an OPTION next time around, it will still be better then only doing a portable with no option to out.
You do stretch over a lot of big topics, but you do have some points.

The Nintendo 64 and Gamecube both struggled, the Playstation 1+ 2 was absolutely crushing them and it must have put a lot of fear and frustration into the Nintendo ranks regarding home consoles. But unlike Sega, Nintendo had a very finacially stable business model, very successful handhelds and several franchies that sold in the millions a year, so they could afford to take a gamble in the console market to try and create a product that seperated themselves from Sony and Microsoft, hence the Wii.

Even though I can agree that Nintendo managed to hit upon a casual bubble, they still should have been able to translate more consumers than they did over to the Wii U's install base. I think the Wii phase died off long before the Wii U came out, and Nintendo didn't realize it, even when the Wii was selling well gamers and casuals alike started to understod just how much more was on offer on Xbox and Playstation in terms of games and services.

I think a lot of people were burned on the Wii, that machine had insane draughts with no games and people got sick and tired of motion controls. The name itself, Wii U, invoked the very consoles people wanted to move away from, and the lack of original games to the slighty flimsy hardware, the Wii U was not gonna work out. It was a bold idea though and followed the premise of Nintendo staying away from Sony and Microsoft by making unique hardware.

I think Nintendo changing their practices and releasing more games and not having to focus on 2 platforms (handheld/console) is a big reason why the Switch is what it is. They had 2 games on metacritic with a 97 score in their launch year (Mario/Zelda) and has mananged to produce more product on the Switch than on the Wii and Wii U by a large margin. It has created a thrist for Nintendo, and cultivated a whole new fanbase. Almost every major Nintendo franchise is on the Switch now, which is unheard of on their other consoles after only 3 years.

petran79

Banned
The Switch can't even beat the DS.

august-2020-sales-5-2.png

Add also considerable PSP and to a less extent PS Vita competition. Now with Switch they are a monopoly.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Anyone who would disparage the name of Iwata-sama must commito seppuku!

Switch is gooorato, Pachter-kun not so much.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Nobody cares in what form Nintendo does their consoles/portables. People just care about games.

Hell, I got my Switch years ago for games that are to this day still not released!

qrvICcd.png

RCU005

Literally only thing holding me back is the Handheld mode.
Drop that, make a TV only Version and I'm in baby!

It's clearly a missed opportunity by Nintendo.
I know I'm not the majority by far, but I would say there is a good percentage of people who would jump the gun and buy a Switch for the TV only with no handheld mode, so it's kinda a knowingly missed sale.

When they announced the Switch Lite, I think many people like me, assumed that Nintendo would also release a TV-only option, but guess not yet. Hopefully they do it, though. I'd definitely buy one.

When they announced the Switch Lite, I think many people like me, assumed that Nintendo would also release a TV-only option, but guess not yet. Hopefully they do it, though. I'd definitely buy one.

I think that is what the "4K switch pro" will be, a higher powered version of the switch that is TV only.

betrayal

Banned
Oh my God, that Pachter guy. Isn't this the guy where 99.99998% of the statements are nonsense? Why does this guy still has a job in this industry.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I use the hybrid option quite a bit. When I travel I use a powered USB-C hub with HDMI out to connect it to hotel tv's so I don't need to take the dock with me. Then I can also play on the plane in handheld mode. It's the most versatile console I have ever owned.

Pachter is a moron.

The NES, SNES, PS2, and GCN are the only consoles I have bought more games for than the Switch. That’s saying a lot because I own around 50 Wii games.

The Switch is the third best Nintendo console for me and might become second should we get an awesome Metroid Prime 4. I love that I can play so many new and old games on this console. It hits the sweet spot for me.

So in regards to the sales data some people brought up... I consider myself a pretty hardcore gamer but I didn't know what a switch light really was I didn't know you could get a version that was only handheld. so basically my question is if I didn't know how many normal people do? I mean it could just be a blind spot. but I feel like I spend way too much time immersed in the video game world to have not known this. like you have to keep in mind there's a whole segment of the gaming populace that is especially misinformed on these things.

odhiex

For me, the most appealing part of the Nintendo Switch is due to the fact that it can Switch between console and handheld modes.

Last edited:
I don’t know. Nintendo must be doing something right if it’s already half the user base of the very successful PS5 and it blew pass the XBox One despite the Switch coming out much later.

jigglet

Banned
What a ridiculous statement. Plenty of people use both. This isn't some gimmick, it's a truly valuable feature.

Magnus

How is this dude taken seriously any longer? Why do we give him a voice and a platform?
What's his actual track record?

daveonezero

Banned
Literally only thing holding me back is the Handheld mode.
Drop that, make a TV only Version and I'm in baby!

It's clearly a missed opportunity by Nintendo.
I know I'm not the majority by far, but I would say there is a good percentage of people who would jump the gun and buy a Switch for the TV only with no handheld mode, so it's kinda a knowingly missed sale.
But you can do just that an never take it out of the dock....

#Phonepunk#

Banned
found this hilariously bad take from 2009 on the PS3 generation. he thought it was the last console generation and that streaming was the future:

Xbox 720, PlayStation 4, uh, Wiii? None of these are going to happen, and if they do happen it's not going to be any time soon, says industry analyst Michael Pachter. According to him, this is the last console generation.

You can go ahead and take that 800 dollars you were saving up for a Xbox 720 or PS4 and try to inject your local economy with some cash flow, because according to Wedbush Morgan industry fortune teller supreme Michael Pachter, this generation will be the last generation of consoles. Ever.

"I think we've seen the last generation of consoles," Pachter said at the GamesBeat conference today. What Pachter saw in his crystal ball was this: Nintendo might release an upgraded Wii with HD and more storage, but Sony and Microsoft probably won't release another console. That's because there's just no more money in it, and third parties won't want it either.

"[Third party publishers] are not going to support a PS4 or Xbox 720," he said. "The content is not going to change in any meaningful ways because the publishers can't afford it." Instead, Pachter envisions a standard delivery form - maybe something like the recently announced OnLive cloud-based system that delivers on-demand gaming by crunching data on remote servers and displaying video over the intertubes to your PC or TV.

Last edited:

WakeTheWolf

I can guarantee the next model of the switch isn't an hybrid. I think with it being some kind of Pro version it could be a pure docked/tv version. But this guy like many so called 'experts' are notoriously incompetent. Nintendo doesn't have to be smart at the moment everything sells like hotcakes. The hybrid was a success.

Last edited:

BlackTron

We have an analyst giving the wrong take on information freely available to the public. That doesn't bode well for when he actually has to predict something.

Also LOL at him saying at least add flash memory so you can download a game without fumbling around with carts. The Switch has on board flash AND a SD card slot. This guy is supposed to be a games analyst and literally doesn't even know that downloading a game from the eshop is a thing. I usually dismiss Pachter as benign silliness worth a laugh, but today he's a downright idiot.

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
Predicting the future isn't easy, but so much shit he's said has been bananas. Personally, I'd much rather have a console-only Switch at a discount with a competent controller.

Pimpbaa

I’d say docked mostly users make up a significant amount of Switch owners. The Switch brought together both their console and handheld fans.

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
I agree, but switch’s success isn’t even in the future. It’s already happened. It doesn’t take skill to “predict” something that has already taken place. It takes real skill to misread it in such an epic way though.

You're right and that's a good point, especially considering that the Lite already exists. So he's suggesting that Nintendo discontinues the currently best-selling console that has been virtually sold-out for months, which is an idea so far removed from rationality that it might be a credible basis for committing someone to an institution and potentially require all and everyone who's heard his name or words to force themselves to forget his existence entirely. He's ventured into a pseudo reality that chills one to the core--like when watching a chimpanzee sitting at a table, eating its meal with a knife and fork. It blends reality and non-reality and unsettles the normal human. He seems like a human being that acts and talks like others. But there is something else happening, clearly. Perhaps he's caught a whif of his own inevitable irrelevance and is thrashing in the ether for that last taste of attention before he is dismissed to the vastness of absolute being which most men abhor and deny. But lo, there is no escape. There is no escape.

Top Bottom