• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter - "Nintendo Isn't That Smart". Thinks Nintendo should drop hybrid Switch model.

jigglet

Banned
You're right and that's a good point, especially considering that the Lite already exists. So he's suggesting that Nintendo discontinues the currently best-selling console that has been virtually sold-out for months, which is an idea so far removed from rationality that it might be a credible basis for committing someone to an institution and potentially require all and everyone who's heard his name or words to force themselves to forget his existence entirely. He's ventured into a pseudo reality that chills one to the core--like when watching a chimpanzee sitting at a table, eating its meal with a knife and fork. It blends reality and non-reality and unsettles the normal human. He seems like a human being that acts and talks like others. But there is something else happening, clearly. Perhaps he's caught a whif of his own inevitable irrelevance and is thrashing in the ether for that last taste of attention before he is dismissed to the vastness of absolute being which most men abhor and deny. But lo, there is no escape. There is no escape.

I worked for a company once that would hire expensive management consultants to come in every few years to advise them. They came in once and said decentralise - you need to be more flexible, more distributed! So we spent millions decentralising all our functions. 3 years later they said; you know what would save you a lot of money...consolidation. Centralise it all, streamline this baby. So a few million more spent. When I left, they were on the path to decentralising again lmao. I always imagined these guys to be like Patcher. Just imagine someone like Patcher being brought in to advise for a company like Nintendo. Make a home-only console! Now go portable! No no, you see the future is in the home, the home! I don't know what world people like Patcher live in, but it's not one you or I live in, that's for sure.

Klayzer

That's an absolutely horrendous take, even for Patch Adams. So drop the uniqness of your console for.....

...reasons? I can see the Nintendo braintrust tweeting the Devastator GIF back at Patcher while sitting on a mountain of gold coins.

ExKing

says GAF is a racist board but still wants to be a part of it...
Pachter with Nintendo is like Skip Bayless with Lebron James...
Just Hate.

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
Pachter with Nintendo is like Skip Bayless with Lebron James...
Just Hate.

Or like Rick Bayless with any sense of decency. In fact, I'd say that Skip Bayless is the Rick Bayless of sports commentators. And that Rick Bayless is the Skip Bayless of celebrity chefs. And Lebron is the Oprah Winfrey of NBA all-time-greats. Where does that leave Michael Pachter? He is the Michael Pachter of dipshits. Maybe the greatest of them all!

Arkam

Launch owner. Have not used dock mode in at least 2 years. Its very clearly a handheld device and really performs best in that mode. I have seen my recent house guest use the dock mode extensively for Animal Crossing. But in that case it was no more than a bigger screen (from end user perspective). No reason why Nintendo cant just cast to TVs, but then the dock is supercheap and its really more a point of potential user friction honestly. No clue what Nintendo will do, but I hope they wait on the next bit of kit so it is a big step up. Handheld or otherwise.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I think portable version should excist alongside with more powerful home only console cuz for fuck's sake, I want to play all 1st party games in native 1080p 60 FPS 100% of time with no effin' DRS at all. 1st party games deserve way more than shitty 720p with BS DRS. I honestly don't know if even DLSS-like feature can help hybrid console to be better.... I much rather have home only console tbh.

Last edited:

gtrwll

If Switch Lite was the main thing, I would probably have never gotten it in the first place. Sure, it’s fantastic that I can continue the games I play on the go, but I wouldn’t want to restrict myself to a small screen when I’m home, although there are times when going portable is convenient even at home.

MrFunSocks

Banned
It’s weird that pachter has just popped up put of nowhere again. He basically went MIA this generation. It was great after he was everywhere in the 360/PS3 generation. He seems intent on getting back in the limelight for some reason. His business must be struggling.

PanzerAzel

I never use Switch docked, in fact I lost it. If I’m playing on a TV I’m wanting the strongest performance with all the bells and whistles (typically PC unless exclusives). Wasn’t too big a fan of the Switch at release but over the years it’s accrued a great library and has proven itself to be my go to. Play it in bed all the time.

The portability is where it’s at for me. Inside, the Ori games, Pikmin, Galak-Z, Steamdig, SNES games, Mud Runner, Sniper Elite 4 (soon), Snakepass. All the Nindies. It’s awesome to have all of these wherever I go, even with some concessions.

Hudo

I worked for a company once that would hire expensive management consultants to come in every few years to advise them. They came in once and said decentralise - you need to be more flexible, more distributed! So we spent millions decentralising all our functions. 3 years later they said; you know what would save you a lot of money...consolidation. Centralise it all, streamline this baby. So a few million more spent. When I left, they were on the path to decentralising again lmao. I always imagined these guys to be like Patcher. Just imagine someone like Patcher being brought in to advise for a company like Nintendo. Make a home-only console! Now go portable! No no, you see the future is in the home, the home! I don't know what world people like Patcher live in, but it's not one you or I live in, that's for sure.
It might be because consultants and analysts feel the need to justify their paychecks by saying something that doesn't sound completely stupid but isn't thought through. I guess if they had said "you know, from our analysis we conclude that your company right now runs well for its current size/position/direction. If your company significantly grows in size, you might need to readjust some factors and maybe think about decentralization. But as of right now, everything seems well. Good day!". Your CEO would've probably been like "And I payed $200k for that?" (I am just guessing).

And Pachter is the same. He needs to stir shit up because it gives him (and his company) coverage, as can be clearly seen. And because he's getting payed for giving advice and I guess people think that "Nintendo are doing fine right now." Isn't what they imagine an advice should be...

Last edited:

Klayzer

I have a theory that I subscribe to when Patcher gives his analysis on the industry: Do the exact opposite of his professional advice. Totally free of charge.

yurqqa

Pachter is smart, LOL!

Of course he is. We started to forget he exists and here he is again and we are discussing him again.
Any publicity is good for him.
If you are asked - name a video game analyst, your answer in 100% cases will be Michael Pachter.

By the way, is the title "VIdeo game analyst" self-proclaimed and exclusively used by Michael Pachter or there's another one ?

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
This guy must give incredible blowjobs.
Who the hell is actually paying this clown for his opinions?

Real world translation:

Nintendo are incredibly smart, they probably won't ever drop the hybrid model in future.

Michael fucking Pachter is the chocolate fireguard of the business analysis world.

How are we still hearing his opinions over a decade after everyone on the internet decided he was dumb as shit?

CuNi

But you can do just that an never take it out of the dock....

It's not quit the same.
It could be quite a bit smaller if you'd take out the screen etc. also cost less since there'd be things like battery/screen etc. that wouldn't have to be produced.
Not a huge price gain but easily 10 or 20 Bucks.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Nintendo went too far with “innovative controls” you want a next gen system from them and they go the opposite way show me N64 mini, Wii 3, transcendental breath of the wild 2 etc.

Carna

Banned
As someone who's a little bit critical of the switch, I would be lying if I said it hasn't been successful, so far.

NinjaBoiX

I DO think they’re missing a trick with a lower priced box that connects to the tv, the savings without having a screen and all the modular shenanigans would be very enticing to a consumer.

They’ve already thrown the “switch” concept to the wind with the undockable Lite, so might as well go all in with a cheaper Switch TV like the PS TV (granted the PS TV bombed but so did the vita so a comparison is a false equivalence.)

Last edited:

devilNprada

Launch owner. Have not used dock mode in at least 2 years. Its very clearly a handheld device and really performs best in that mode. I have seen my recent house guest use the dock mode extensively for Animal Crossing. But in that case it was no more than a bigger screen (from end user perspective). No reason why Nintendo cant just cast to TVs, but then the dock is supercheap and its really more a point of potential user friction honestly. No clue what Nintendo will do, but I hope they wait on the next bit of kit so it is a big step up. Handheld or otherwise.
This is what I thought..

As a multi switch household who knows many other multi switch households, none of us hook it to the TV.

I am not criticizing people just surprised at the number of people who do.

People can play on the handheld with a movie playing in the background..
Edit: or watch the Dodgers win the World Series..

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

It's not quit the same.
It could be quite a bit smaller if you'd take out the screen etc. also cost less since there'd be things like battery/screen etc. that wouldn't have to be produced.
Nah, no screen, no battery, no joycons, probably no need for a fan, likely a less costly chipset, I reckon they could sell a switch tv for half the price of a standard switch.

GAMETA

Banned
This guy is a joke. To think some companies might hire him for consulting on the gaming industry is bonkers.

What a fucking asshole.

dezzy8

Is he out of his mind? IMO, the Switch is what Nintendo has been shooting for since they created the Gameboy. Taking your console games with you on the go.

Birdo

Banned
I still think it should have been two seperate devices with a shared library. A home console version and a handheld.

I say this because most Switch owners either use it 100% docked, or 100% handheld.

They would have been cheaper to produce than a device that does both.

Kev Kev

People have such little faith in you, pachter, that if you went outside and slammed your dick in the car door, people would start thinking “oh man this is a real step up from his normal bullshit, better see what’s going on here...” and then start taking you a little more seriously

that’s how much people don’t take you seriously lol

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
So, instead of having two large audiences, it's smarter to limit yourself to one? Makes no sense. Also, they already have the Switch Lite out, and I doubt it's outselling the original.

daveonezero

Banned
It's not quit the same.

I Think Ninteo though of this. After all that work and design the consumer has a choice of a vanilla switch o for an extra 10 dollars.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
That's the magic number we need.

Personally I think you're mistaken. I think it's the lite breaking all the records the past couple months.
I don't know about the Lite, but I was looking for a Switch for a friend of mine a couple months ago, and I had to set alerts just to find them in stock. They'd sell out in a day or so pretty much everywhere.

CuNi

Nah, no screen, no battery, no joycons, probably no need for a fan, likely a less costly chipset, I reckon they could sell a switch tv for half the price of a standard switch.

Sadly it's Nintendo we're talking about. Even Gamecube games are still quit costly. I would instantly get one for 200€

Of course he is. We started to forget he exists and here he is again and we are discussing him again.
Any publicity is good for him.
If you are asked - name a video game analyst, your answer in 100% cases will be Michael Pachter.

By the way, is the title "VIdeo game analyst" self-proclaimed and exclusively used by Michael Pachter or there's another one ?
Hmmm, he is opportunist and attention wh*re, but smart... not excactly. He's not dumb, of course not.

Meesh

The Switch is perfect for Japan.

in the America's I feel we have different expectations, more power and fewer last gen ports. More variety in new titles.

It's a winning concept that they didn't capitalize fully but that doesn't make it a failure or make Nintendo stupid.

The Switch is fantastic, it has nowhere to go but up!!!

Nintendo needs to get some of their ducks in a row a little better, that's all.

Xellos

I mostly use Switch as a portable but the ability to output to TV/stereo is wonderful. Relegating BotW or Mario Odyssey to a 6" IPS screen would be a shame.

Mr. Pachter's WiFi streaming suggestion is probably what will happen in the future, once performance, battery life and latency are at a good enough point for that to be feasible. Charging dock + HDMI output is currently the best and cheapest solution for TV output.

Literally only thing holding me back is the Handheld mode.
Drop that, make a TV only Version and I'm in baby!

It's clearly a missed opportunity by Nintendo.
I know I'm not the majority by far, but I would say there is a good percentage of people who would jump the gun and buy a Switch for the TV only with no handheld mode, so it's kinda a knowingly missed sale.

I thought this was me, I have played so little actually docked to my tv that it isn't even funny.

wOs

Oh my God, that Pachter guy. Isn't this the guy where 99.99998% of the statements are nonsense? Why does this guy still has a job in this industry.
I don't think he is in this industry. He's in the financial industry I believe. That said as a gamer I disagree with him all the time, but if as an adviser he was bad he would be out of a job or cover something else. Clearly the people in those markets don't consider him an idiot.

daveonezero

Banned
And then the difference is an expensive Pro Conteoller so it’s not cheaper anymore.
I still think it should have been two seperate devices with a shared library. A home console version and a handheld.

I say this because most Switch owners either use it 100% docked, or 100% handheld.

They would have been cheaper to produce than a device that does both.
But choice is not always good for the consumer. It can cause confusion.

Nintendo decided to release a handheld that worked very well docked.

EDMIX

You do stretch over a lot of big topics, but you do have some points.

The Nintendo 64 and Gamecube both struggled, the Playstation 1+ 2 was absolutely crushing them and it must have put a lot of fear and frustration into the Nintendo ranks regarding home consoles. But unlike Sega, Nintendo had a very finacially stable business model, very successful handhelds and several franchies that sold in the millions a year, so they could afford to take a gamble in the console market to try and create a product that seperated themselves from Sony and Microsoft, hence the Wii.

Even though I can agree that Nintendo managed to hit upon a casual bubble, they still should have been able to translate more consumers than they did over to the Wii U's install base. I think the Wii phase died off long before the Wii U came out, and Nintendo didn't realize it, even when the Wii was selling well gamers and casuals alike started to understod just how much more was on offer on Xbox and Playstation in terms of games and services.

I think a lot of people were burned on the Wii, that machine had insane draughts with no games and people got sick and tired of motion controls. The name itself, Wii U, invoked the very consoles people wanted to move away from, and the lack of original games to the slighty flimsy hardware, the Wii U was not gonna work out. It was a bold idea though and followed the premise of Nintendo staying away from Sony and Microsoft by making unique hardware.

I think Nintendo changing their practices and releasing more games and not having to focus on 2 platforms (handheld/console) is a big reason why the Switch is what it is. They had 2 games on metacritic with a 97 score in their launch year (Mario/Zelda) and has mananged to produce more product on the Switch than on the Wii and Wii U by a large margin. It has created a thrist for Nintendo, and cultivated a whole new fanbase. Almost every major Nintendo franchise is on the Switch now, which is unheard of on their other consoles after only 3 years.

Agreed. I feel the fact that they are moving millions of units of Wii U games on Switch goes to show nothing was wrong with those games, the consumers simply wanted a portable. I've never seen something like this, where a series of ports, on another system greatly outsell the originals by the tunes of millions. I think the success of Switch makes a lot of sense when you actually add up the sales of the portable titles and console titles, that combined number is why you are seeing such massive units shifted. Those sales used to be divided upon 2 different systems if those games even had 2 versions.

So I don't know if we are seeing new consumers or simply the same ones, simply both combined install bases. Either way, its good for Nintendo as it adds less confusion, no one is left behind, they are saving on development cost as they are no longer making 2 different versions or something. The way they did the Switch imho is the way they should have done 3DS, I was even surprised that they never added a out feature despite PSP having it years prior as for Nintendo's situation, it made more sense for them to do that then Sony. I think they wanted to get both install bases buying 2 different systems, 2 different sets of games etc. Outing to the TV isn't anything revolutionary and I believe Nintendo more so did this because how the mobile market was changing and how the home console market for them was pretty much done. This allows them to focus on 1 platform and double down.

Just the thread to being up an old Mama Robotnik gif:

ektmcMR.gif

Top Bottom