• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter on PS5: Bets on 2020 launch now, PS4 Pro to become "default PS4"

DFGXcR5WsAACNny.jpg

Is all we need, PS2 font mirrored.

this does not look good at all

This generation feels like it has more than two years of life left in it. Sales haven't even slowed down yet. Game releases are steady (on PS4).

2019/20 feels way too early to me.

Smokey

2020 sounds about right. We do not need another 360/PS3 situation. Tech moves much faster today, and gaming needs to keep up. This gen will be 7 years old by that time. Time to move on.

I really don't know why some people still doubt that does PS5 have BC with PS4. Literally one of the main reasons why they went with off the shelf X86 architecture this gen was that BC will be easy to implement in future consoles.

Papacheeks

Banned
I really don't know why some people still doubt that does PS5 have BC with PS4. Literally one of the main reasons why they went with off the shelf X86 architecture this gen was that BC will be easy to implement in future consoles.

Shhhh..... don't ruin the fun of people on Gaf who still think PS4 games won't be playable in the future.

Like people honestly believe that Sony would get people into digital in a big way this gen and not think of the future of playing those games?

Like during PS3 era it made sense because of architecture differences, and also digital was still somewhat not huge in adoption rate compared to physical. But I can assure people the next system will play PS4 games. It would be the stupidest mistake and would actually cost them dearly because adoption rate for digital is really big now.

Trago

Shady practices and quotes from Sony executives have people calling them into question.

There really is no excuse for next gen.

Dierce

Maintaining backward compatibility with the PS4 is going to be key. I'm not too confident they can achieve it though.

Papacheeks

Banned
Maintaining backward compatibility with the PS4 is going to be key. I'm not too confident they can achieve it though.

Why is that? Only thing I can think of is if the change in hardware is so drastic it makes games almost impossible to play? They are staying with AMD for the forseeable future, and x86 isn't going anywhere.

They are not going back to POWER PC arch.

So unless they royally fuck up with choice of components, and can't even brute force backwards combat similar to xbox one, then they deserve to wear egg on their faces when millions of angry buyer's find out they can't bring over GTA V, Red dead 2 they bought from PSN over to PS5 or whatever it's called.

SDR-UK

Edit: Wow. My phone was acting up during that reply.

I think 2020 personally, PS4 seems to be riding too much of a high and still has a few high profile First Party games to come to PS4 first (TLOU, Death Stranding, Sucker Punch new IP) so I cannot see them crossing too much like they did in PS3/PS4 years.

AmyS

This generation feels like it has more than two years of life left in it. Sales haven't even slowed down yet. Game releases are steady (on PS4).

2019 might be too early, but 2020 won't be, as that would be 7 years after PS4, the same amount of time as PS3's release to PS4 (2006 to 2013).

Shhhh..... don't ruin the fun of people on Gaf who still think PS4 games won't be playable in the future.

Like people honestly believe that Sony would get people into digital in a big way this gen and not think of the future of playing those games?

Like during PS3 era it made sense because of architecture differences, and also digital was still somewhat huge in adoption rate compared to physical. But I can assure people the next system will play PS4 games. It would be the stupidest mistake and would actually cost them dearly because adoption rate for digital is really big now.

Yeah. end of PS3 gen was last chance to choose different and more futureproof architecture and both MS and Sony made the jump.

Shady practices and quotes from Sony executives have people calling them into question.

There really is no excuse for next gen.

Shady practises are made when it makes you more money. Like increasing PSN+ fees that anger the hardcore communities like GAF but in real life people just shut up and continue to pay. Leaving PS4 BC out of PS5 would jeopardize the whole console against competition and would make zero sense after the architecture change to off the shelf X86. BC will be more important than ever with huge digital libraries around PS4 and Xbox One.

Papacheeks

Banned
Yeah. end of PS3 gen was last chance to choose different and more futureproof architecture and both MS and Sony made the jump.

Shady practises are made when it makes you more money. Like increasing PSN+ fees that anger the hardcore communities like GAF but in real life people just shut up and continue to pay. Leaving PS4 BC out of PS5 would jeopardize the whole console against competition and would make zero sense after the architecture change to off the shelf X86. BC will be more important than ever with huge digital libraries around PS4 and Xbox One.

Yea, it's like people don't think that Playstation and xbox make more money off of digital than physical.

There's not middle man with digital especially if you publish, or own the IP.

AmyS

PS4 Pro won't be a default console because its tied to the base PS4 -- that's Sony's policy and unless they change their policy, original PS4 will remain the default console until PS5 arrives.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
What gives his word any weight?

Pachter's whole line of work is trying to predict which directions the video game industry will head, so companies and investors can try to invest in projects and stock the best ways they can figure. He writes regular broad analysis documents based on industry trends, insider knowledge and such. He's quite unique in doing this, and it's not his aim to be 100% correct, as no business in any industry is 100% predictable.

geordiemp

They'll go when they have volume 7nm.

You win a prize,

Jaguar CPU in Ps4, Xb1, Ps4 Pro and XB1X wont be a base for anything, its crap and needs to die.

Roll on Ryzen APU's next gen, and all last gen consoles will be left in frame rate dust.

DavidDesu

I kinda feel the same. I still have my launch PS4 and I'm still considering updating to the Pro for some improvements in the games I play all the time but really I'm fairly satisfied with my base PS4. If Microsoft had amazing exclusives lined up for their new Xbox maybe I'd be more anxious about getting a PS5 sooner rather than later but I really do think I can wait. Plus I'd rather wait since the longer it takes the better it will be. There's all this talk of waiting for big leaps in the technology to become cost effective... I'd hate to see something rushed out that's like a PS4 Pro+ or something. Make it a huge leap forward.

It does seem that 4K is taking hold quicker than I maybe thought it would so the PS5 needs to be able to run 4K stuff with aplomb... hopefully that power means a much higher res, wider FOV PSVR2 coming at roughly the same time as well.

watdaeff4

Regarding the base PS4 comment, I listened to it and am wondering......

Is he under the notion that Sony is going with the iterative consoles approach? And it's just that by say 2020, games coming out won't work for the OG PS4, but will for the Pro? (And this look/perform even better on the PS5? If that's the case, I understand the comment. If not, then I just don't see that the Pro will be the main SKU happening.

Also I think 2019 is too soon. I think also it will be 2020......

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I don't think Pachter meant Pro as the default for game specs, just that a shrunk down version of that will be the main retail model.

Should use the 's' character as the 5.

PSS
PSV

I think it would look better logo wise with a Roman numeral. They already pretend the Vita doesn't exist so no issue there.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
2020 sounds about right. We do not need another 360/PS3 situation. Tech moves much faster today, and gaming needs to keep up. This gen will be 7 years old by that time. Time to move on.

but...ps3 was 7 years as well, and if in 2020 it launches, it will be the same amount of years. last gen just seemed longer

AmyS

but...ps3 was 7 years as well, and if in 2020 it launches, it will be the same amount of years. last gen just seemed longer

Because it started earlier, with the launch of Xbox 360 in 2005 and Sony's announcement / reveal of PS3 that same year.

Fisty

No way, will be 2019 for sure. They can continue to milk the PS4 just fine if the PS5 plays PS4 games. Indies and small studios will probably stick to PS4 spec for many years after PS5 launch.

autoduelist

Team 2020-2022. Year 7 is about the soonest I think you should have a new gen, and year 8 feels right [$400 launch = $50 a year purchase cost at 8 years, which is the sweet spot]. Years 3-6 are the best selling years [due to price breaks, bigger library, etc]. Year 6 is just a touch too early. Year 9 pushes it.

The new xbox actually gives Sony some relief - I don't think it will cut into PS4 sales, but it delays MS from releasing any new platform by a bit since they don't want to step on their own toes.

That said, it also means they can try to do a 2020 PS5 knowing MS is in a bad position to release yet another system, potentially giving Sony a year jump.

So... 2020 or 2021.

Some Nobody

Tbh should Sony hold back possible advances just because some people won't be able to afford it at launch? These are not things we need, these are hi tech entertainment items.

Early adopters will pay early adopter prices everyone else will probably wait a year and stay on their PS4's.

I want the best they can do for the highest sane price possible. If these machines are look ing to get 6-7 years of use out of them.

A part of the reason for the PS4's massive success was it's $399 pricetag. Microsoft ditched the Kinect they tried to build their brand off of to match it.

Listen. Consoles are never going to be the $900 behemoth that can keep up with all but the most expensive PCs. That's not their purpose. Sony is going to be price-conscious because some early adopters are price-conscious, and because the console gens' days are numbered. And since they'd like to sell as many consoles as possible, expect the PS5 to be conscious of that too.

$499 might be possible depending on how the One X does, but they'll try $449 first because they saw their success with sub-400 and doubtlessly want to duplicate that.

John Wick

I think Sony dropped the ball with the Pro. It's just a pointless product. MS desperately needed a new Xbox because they were getting hammered. Sony held all the cards and there was no need for them to rush into getting the Pro out. PS4 is selling like crazy. They should have waited till this year and launched with MS or just after with a much better product than the Pro. It certainly should have a UHD drive, more ram and far more powerful. Sony missed a huge opportunity and I just wanna know which idiot green lit the Pro when it clearly wasn't needed especially a year ago.

I think there's a possibility that Sony will allow developers to build games that target PS4 Pro/PS5 only, until the 5 gets a foothold in the market, once we get to the PS5 launch date.

They might still sell a ultra cheap vanilla PS4 Micro Slim, but it'd be for legacy games, and it'd only really exist to sell to developing markets.

120v

I think Sony dropped the ball with the Pro. It's just a pointless product. MS desperately needed a new Xbox because they were getting hammered. Sony held all the cards and there was no need for them to rush into getting the Pro out. PS4 is selling like crazy. They should have waited till this year and launched with MS or just after with a much better product than the Pro. It certainly should have a UHD drive, more ram and far more powerful. Sony missed a huge opportunity and I just wanna know which idiot green lit the Pro when it clearly wasn't needed especially a year ago.

it's a niche product and they're way ahead so i don't think they were dealing a heavy hand either way. assuming ps5 is sooner rather later it'd be even more of a ripoff if they released it now with more bells and whistles which would probably bump the price to about the ps5 launch price, if not above

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
why is that utter bullshit?

at some point certain newer games are going to have the minimum baseline specs increased if they really are going to adopt the cell phone model for upgrades.

Given PS4 Pro developer support to date, it seems really unlikely.

2020, or even 2021, is around the time when they can offer an appreciable leap over the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro, to the point where the console can be targeting the same "nearly 4k" while offering a large enough boost in other areas.

The air cooled Vega 56 card, released in 2017 and drawing up to 210 watts on a 14nm architecture yields 10.5 tflops (FP32). That's AMD's state of the art today. This boosts to 13.7 TFLOPS for the liquid cooled 64, but at a cost of a substantial amount of power efficiency.

For AMD, there will be about 1.5 die shrinks between now and a 2020 release time frame. Assuming modest architectural improvements for Navi and no delays, a Navi or Navi-successor based PS5 on 7nm or 7nm+ should hopefully be able to fall somewhere in the 16-18 tflop range for a holiday 2020 release window, while still operating within a similar thermal and power usage envelope to the base PS4 and PS4 Pro.

Frankly I think this level of GPU power (combined with an improved mobile Ryzen processor) is sort of what you need to really make a next gen system worthwhile.

Renekton

Why is that? Only thing I can think of is if the change in hardware is so drastic it makes games almost impossible to play? They are staying with AMD for the forseeable future, and x86 isn't going anywhere.
AMD is in serious financial trouble, and the x86 license is non-transferable.

AmyS

2020, or even 2021, is around the time when they can offer an appreciable leap over the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro, to the point where the console can be targeting the same "nearly 4k" while offering a large enough boost in other areas.

The air cooled Vega 56 card, released in 2017 and drawing up to 210 watts on a 14nm architecture yields 10.5 tflops (FP32). That's AMD's state of the art today. This boosts to 13.7 TFLOPS for the liquid cooled 64, but at a cost of a substantial amount of power efficiency.

For AMD, there will be about 1.5 die shrinks between now and a 2020 release time frame. Assuming modest architectural improvements for Navi and no delays, a Navi or Navi-successor based PS5 on 7nm or 7nm+ should hopefully be able to fall somewhere in the 16-18 tflop range for a holiday 2020 release window, while still operating within a similar thermal and power usage envelope to the base PS4 and PS4 Pro.

Frankly I think this level of GPU power (combined with an improved mobile Ryzen processor) is sort of what you need to really make a next gen system worthwhile.

Yeah, pretty much. As long as those consoles get 32 GB RAM they should be fine.

Top Bottom