• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter Predicts: Xbox One outsold PS4 in September (dance, you puppets)

I'm not saying it's impossible, but this is not the first month the Xbox One has has some very good deals. Couldn't you find the TitanFall bundle for the same price as the console by itself - or even a little cheaper?

Yes, there were some crazy deals going on with Titanfall and others, I believe at one point you could get forza 5 and titanfall for $450 with kinect. I don't buy that as a justification, a game heavily associated with the PS4 won't suddenly flip over to the xbox because of a slightly cheaper price when it's clear even at price parity customers see significantly more value in the PS4.

YuShtink

It's Hindle you're talking to.

Are you kidding? Since when has a struggling console ever came out on top due to a better gaming library?

If that were true, then Microsoft would've overtaken Sony a long time ago. As a matter of fact, a first impression of your console is a longer lasting impression.

There has never been a console with as bad a starting reputation as the Xbox One (even more than the original XBOX), so what can we really base it on?

The PS3 had a slow start with an awful early library, but once it started getting some real quality exclusives and a price drop it was a contender again.

With how bad MS screwed up the lead-in to the Xbox One, they have actually delivered a lot of good software this year, and imo it's a good thing to see that reflected in sales.

Duxxy3

Even if the XB1 outsold the PS4 during that week, I just don't think that difference would make up for the other 4 reporting weeks. The free game deal was one week. If it existed for the reporting period... well that would be a different story.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Michael understands the power of Word of Mouth®.

This post brought to you by The Department of PAL Sales Threads Inside Jokes.

Salex_

Where is this Pachter is rarely wrong/on the wrong side of predictions meme coming from?
People who aren't constantly checking the NPD thread won't be able to check his prediction results. I guess they assume he's right most of the time because he's the voice for video game sales predictions.

Hindle

Banned
Hindle is so enamored with Microsoft that he's even defending Pachter.

What a world.

I'm just trying to see his viewpoint, instead of just mocking him, like many in this thread are doing.

I disagree with his predictions, as there's no way they could be right.

This month will be close regardless. There isn't going to be much between the two consoles.

I strongly disagree but hey that's the game of predictions.

At least Thursday is only 3 days away! :)

Wait he's been off by that much and people still listen to him?

I just feel that everyone should understand these are truly Pachter's predictions and have never really seemed strongly based off retailer insight

Michael understands the power of Word of Mouth®.

This post brought to you by The Department of PAL Sales Threads Inside Jokes.

Iunderstoodthatreference.jpg

Momentary

Banned
They were sold out at Best Buy this weekend in my area. The store manager even said that they sold more of XB1 than PS4. I really didn't care. All I was wondering is if they had any GTX 970s for sale.

This month will be close regardless. There isn't going to be much between the two consoles.
Wait, you're playing the "next month should be fun!" card--not only before even the previous month's NPD is out--but in a random thread of an insane man's rantings? Couldn't save it for 3 more days? Then at least the replies could be the standard "yeah, just like last month, right?", but this is exceptional.

There has never been a console with as bad a starting reputation as the Xbox One (even more than the original XBOX), so what can we really base it on?

The PS3 had a slow start with an awful early library, but once it started getting some real quality exclusives and a price drop it was a contender again.

With how bad MS screwed up the lead-in to the Xbox One, they have actually delivered a lot of good software this year, and imo it's a good thing to see that reflected in sales.

PS3 was a contender again in part because of the things you mentioned, but mainly because of worldwide appeal. XB1 doesn't have that in its corner. Even if it starts outselling the PS4 in the US (which I do not think will ever become a consistent trend) it will never catch up on worldwide sales.

Hindle

Banned
Wait, you're playing the "next month should be fun!" card--not only before even the previous month's NPD is out--but in a random thread of an insane man's rantings? Couldn't save it for 3 more days? Then at least the replies could be the standard "yeah, just like last month, right?", but this is exceptional.

Sorry' I meant to say this NPD. September is going to be close.

Biker19

Banned

I updated my post a while ago, & like I said earlier on it, even though Sony had delivered on most of the exclusives within PS3, they didn't help PS3 overtake Xbox 360 in sales in America. You know what helped break the 360's 32-month winning streak in the US? A GTA V bundle for PS3.

If anything, most people are buying consoles for 3rd party games, not 1st/2nd party games. And while Xbox One had a good library of games, about 4 or 5 of their lineup of retail games came onto other platforms (being PC & Xbox 360).

Quotient

Based on the fact MS were handing out free games, and the insane deals they were doing. We saw in the UK that it worked.

The PS4 Destiny Bundle is ranked 32nd for 2014 best sellers in Video Games on Amazon, with the closet Xbox one console coming in at 46, that's not even considering that the stand-alone PS4 console is ranked 4th.

I just can't imagine that every other retailer has completely opposite trends for the PS4 and Xbox one.

Based on the fact MS were handing out free games, and the insane deals they were doing. We saw in the UK that it worked.

They supposedly very marginally beat them no? And we didn't hear anything about beating them for a second week so I bet they didn't. Doesn't seem to have been worth much

Xando

You mean the one week where they barely beat PS4 with the biggest game of the year working in their favor and immediately dropped off after one week?

One thing, and one thing only kept the PS3 in the race with the 360, and that was the RRoD. Just like the the XB1 launch, Microsoft made a grave error in regards to the console they released.

Basically, the PS3 just barely came in at the last second and beat a 360 that by far the least reliable console ever made. And yet many, many people still preferred the 360. Had it just been a stable console, Sony might not have even made it to this gen.

This time Microsoft launched with the Kinect as a pack-in that made the console too expensive, and unclear DRM schemes that scared everyone off. Basically, they launched an even less desirable console than the PS3 at launch. The only thing that will get the XB1 even is if Sony craps the bed as much as Microsoft did with the RRoD.

Patcher's argument against for forced bundling Kinect was always price; PS4 is cheaper therefore it will win. This prediction is in line with that way of thinking (Xbox 1 is with two games for 400 while PS4 is with no games for 400; so Xbox 1 must win), but makes three assumptions that I believe to be false. 1. What makes PS4 more desirable to consumers is solely price and not a plethora of different reason for different folks (If it was only price Wii U would be first). 2. Almost all sales for the month happened that week when the Xbox deal was going on, but with Fifa also moving hardware I would think sales would have spiked at least twice, not once. 3. That almost everyone who had pre ordered the White PS4 bundle chose to not buy it and instead switch over to Xbox 1, but I know literally zero people who did that so it is a little hard to believe that it was that impactful. Just my opinion.

Not sure if he is right or wrong but Madden bundle + Destiny (last I checked that was released on XB1 too) + Forza Horizon 2 = a possible reason he made that prediction. Or maybe he was combining 2 months.

Hindle

Banned
They supposedly very marginally beat them no? And we didn't hear anything about beating them for a second week so I bet they didn't. Doesn't seem to have been worth much

I don't have the data, so I don't know how close things were. But it's worth pointing out how close things have been in the UK, and how the UK is very similar to the US.

That's why I think it's pretty close for September, with the PS4 just edging it.

mintylurb

Wouldn't surprise me if x1 outsold ps4 last month because of all those promotions.
Actually, I hope it did just so I can see amusing tweets from the ms camp and sony camp.

One thing, and one thing only kept the PS3 in the race with the 360, and that was the RRoD. Just like the the XB1 launch, Microsoft made a grave error in regards to the console they released.

Basically, the PS3 just barely came in at the last second and beat a 360 that by far the least reliable console ever made. And yet many, many people still preferred the 360. Had it just been a stable console, Sony might not have even made it to this gen.

This time Microsoft launched with the Kinect as a pack-in that made the console too expensive, and unclear DRM schemes that scared everyone off. Basically, they launched an even less desirable console than the PS3 at launch. The only thing that will get the XB1 even is if Sony craps the bed as much as Microsoft did with the RRoD.

Of course. RROD is the entire reason Sony sold 10M PS3's in Japan and made up a lot of lost US sales in mainland Europe because only dirty Americans would buy such an unreliable piece of hardware.

Wait, Pachter is suggesting that Microsoft sold more consoles than Sony's second best selling week?

Pachter did suggest that he believed XB1 "would dominate" the week of Destiny's release in a tweet if that's what you mean? But it's highly doubtful that particular week was Sony's "second best selling week" ever. It was the best selling week for PS4 since December though

Good. Sales parity is good for consumers. You never want one side to tip the scales too much or for too long. That makes them get cocky, and we all remember arrogant Nintendo.

Jomjom

Banned
Agree totally. He may rub people up, especially Nintendo fans, but he is normally on the right side of predictions and market understanding.

This one is just so odd.

If the right side consists of anyone who makes any sort of prediction at all, no matter how crazy, then yes he's normally on the right side.

Dragon

Banned
I don't have the data, so I don't know how close things were. But it's worth pointing out how close things have been in the UK, and how the UK is very similar to the US.

That's why I think it's pretty close for September, with the PS4 just edging it.

I really have no idea what I'm reading anymore, but it's not thought out, nor rational.

Wouldn't surprise me if x1 outsold ps4 last month because of all those promotions.
Actually, I hope it did just so I can see amusing tweets from the ms camp and sony camp.

I doubt MS will say much if they do win a month, would seem pretty stupid to puff their chest out over winning 1 month when they've had their asses handed to them for the last 8 or so

Top Bottom