• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter Predicts: Xbox One outsold PS4 in September (dance, you puppets)

Damn it, I swear I read that too but my brain didn't process it.

Yeah, that free game for $400 was a goo deal. I guess we'll see. I assume he's already heard the numbers and this isn't really a prediction as much as it is him sharing inside information.

That has never been true for any of Pachter's predictions thus far that I'm aware

For anyone curious about Pachter's usual track record, here's how his predictions have placed amongst gaffers own predictions within our own monthly prediction threads [lower placements is obviously better]

February 2014: > 50th, off by 377,500 units [101st by units]
June 2014: 16th, 170,000 units off
July 2014: > 50th, 94,800 units off [110th by units]
August 2014: 23rd. 39,400 units off

His predictions for a month are not always made clear thus I just provided the ones I could find

Loris146

Sorry but this topic is full of crap. Who follow the charts know that it will be almost impossible for One to win September.

We have Amazon charts ( a good "indicator") , best buy insider and older result from NPD. Is not going to happen.

Dont get me wrong. Its very pretty console in white.

But in reality I think most people would get a black console if given the option because they know it will look better next to all there other home entertainment stuff.
Then they could...for $10 more. I doubt if they felt that strongly on the color but wanted the game would skip on the console purchase.

Kevyt

That doesn't seem like a far fetched prediction, which Mr. Pachter is well known of. But I suspect that the heavy marketing by Sonys part of Destiny means it sold more on the PS4 and therefore the PS4 sold more. Not to mention the white PS4 Destiny bundle which was Amazon's best seller on consoles for a while. I think the PS4 once again outsold the X1.

Biker19

Banned
And at the same time worldwide gap just would continue to widen. I am not sure why there would be panic at Sony if Xbone somehow marginally wins holiday season in US when overall PS4 has PS2 like domination elsewhere. Personally I don't see Xbone even winning holiday season in US. Can't remember any console selling less than competition for 3/4 of the year and then winning holiday season.

That's exactly why most of us are doubting this. Microsoft sold 3 million Xbox One consoles during Xbox One's first two months, then they start struggling in sales ever since January, & then all of a sudden, they won September due to a week of a free game deal & with a Madden bundle when there's a Destiny bundle with white PS4's?

Not buying that.

But Bloodborne is just a pretty game with a lot of darkness and swinging things; you know, like Ryse.

Bloodborne is a whole lot different from Ryse.

AHA-Lambda

So it didn't then? :p

It seems like since the shake up at gametrailers we seem to hear a lot less from Pachter now. Has he still got a show?

iuKDdgmCmXQDN.gif

RdN

I'd be shocked if this were true.. Specially with the Destiny bundle, a lot of people were craving that white console.

BumRush

I would have thought Amazon would be a decent indicator of console sales, being as though it's the largest online retailer in the world (5 times the SECOND largest). Every day I check the "Top 100 in video games" to see what's hot and if there are any surprising deals and EVERY SINGLE DAY the PS4 was ahead of the XB1...usually by 10-20 spots. I'd find it shocking if this meant absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.

I'd love to see XB1 pushing the PS4 though...only thing that would disappoint me would be if Pachter's extremely low figures for both consoles were accurate (I guessed 550K for PS4 and 350K for XB1)

geordiemp

I like pachter, and he normally makes some interesting points but is not the most diplomatic in doing so,

Got to admit this is the worst I have seen.

But it should be a wake up call for Sony, hardware is good for a console, BUT they really need to improve their network and servers.

Dont get me wrong. Its very pretty console in white.

But in reality I think most people would get a black console if given the option because they know it will look better next to all there other home entertainment stuff.

This was me actually. Both the PS4 and Xbox One look good in white but the rest of my stuff is black and I wanted it to match.

Angelcurio

I never participate in console sales predictions, but i wouldn't expect the Xbox One to Outsell the PS4 during Destiny's launch month.

Figments

That doesn't seem like a far fetched prediction, which Mr. Pachter is well known of. But I suspect that the heavy marketing by Sonys part of Destiny means it sold more on the PS4 and therefore the PS4 sold more. Not to mention the white PS4 Destiny bundle which was Amazon's best seller on consoles for a while. I think the PS4 once again outsold the X1.

Wait what?

Can you rearrange that sentence? It's hurting my brain trying to process exactly what you said.

I like pachter, and he normally makes some interesting points but is not the most diplomatic in doing so,

But it should be a wake up call for Sony, hardware is good for a console, BUT they really need to improve their network and servers.

Agreed, the minor updates rolling out once a month compared to the major updates xb1 has had makes me wonder what sony engineers are doing with their time.

What does this have to do with network and servers? None of the reasons behind pachter's predictions has to do with the servers.

stryke

I would have thought Amazon would be a decent indicator of console sales, being as though it's the largest online retailer in the world

While hardware rankings between PS4 and X1 have been consistent with NPD since launch, Amazon's numbers only account for less than 5% of NPD's data (I think, Aqua will have to remind me).

Boke1879

What does this have to do with network and servers? None of the reasons behind pachter's predictions has to do with the servers.

Agreed I don't know why people keep harping on this. People predicting MS to outsell Sony has nothing to do with their servers and won't make Sony better them.

I've said time and again to take your issues and grievances about Sonys online infrastructure to twitter and tweet them to Playstation execs.

MS outselling Sony for 1 month won't make them improve their network.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Highly unlikely, I could however see them winning the month that the MCC comes out SSO will sell games but I doubt it will shift a lot of console units.

Top Bottom