• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter Predicts: Xbox One outsold PS4 in September (dance, you puppets)

geordiemp

What does this have to do with network and servers? None of the reasons behind pachter's predictions has to do with the servers.

Yes, I know...But just adding my opinion....

Well, besides friends / exclusives....what are the value propositions for the consoles ( excl bundles and price discounts)

++ Sony have the better hardware design for running games

++ MS have the better online server network

Its important points, and its the Sony weakness at the moment in my opinion. Fortunately for Sony its easier to rectify than the way MS designed their hardware imo.

Its taken them almost a year now, and they still havent talked about suspend-and-resume. Not that the lack of that feature bothers me, but still.

It's buggy as he'll on Xbone so your not missing out on anything

I think network stability should be their focus. ...I'm yet to play a game of driveclub online yet

You would think a delay of a year they would of seen this???

stryke

I like pachter, and he normally makes some interesting points but is not the most diplomatic in doing so,

Got to admit this is the worst I have seen.

But it should be a wake up call for Sony, hardware is good for a console, BUT they really need to improve their network and servers.

There's been worse. Remember Fuse?

(I don't expect you to because as I was typing the only thing I could remember about it was it's previous title and had to look it up)

BY2K

Membero Americo
iCsILUVq0f1cl.gif

Could come in use in the NPD thread.

I like pachter, and he normally makes some interesting points but is not the most diplomatic in doing so,

Got to admit this is the worst I have seen.

But it should be a wake up call for Sony, hardware is good for a console, BUT they really need to improve their network and servers.

Selling more than xbox again should be a wake up call?

Hindle

Banned
Pachter seems to be pretty educated when it comes to the NPD, he never really makes any stupid estimates. The only possible way this could be true is if Destiny really didn't perform as well as was expected.

It's buggy as he'll on Xbone so your not missing out on anything

I think network stability should be their focus. ...I'm yet to play a game of driveclub online yet

You would think a delay of a year they would of seen this???

From what ive read the driveclub server issues are the result of a server bug. The dev tweeted about it iirc. Shouldve had a public beta test if you ask me.

Dante316

Pachter seems to be pretty educated when it comes to the NPD, he never really makes any stupid estimates. The only possible way this could be true is if Destiny really didn't perform as well as was expected.

Joke post? XD lol sometimes can't tell

nappaemt

Neo Member
As a PS4 owner with no intent to buy the xbone this would be welcome news.

Nothing would be worse than Sony thinking they outright won the console war within 12 months after release. Competition is important.

geordiemp

Selling more than xbox again should be a wake up call?

I said his prediction is worst I have seen....of course Ps4 will sell more, probably 30-40 % more...

Just trying to point out any competitive push against Sony should get them to sort out Psn, which is their major weakness imo.

He is Wrong, simply put.
PS4 Destiny bundle sold a ton from what I'v been hearing(on Gaf), and even if X1 won, those numbers would be very bad for the gaming industry considering that Destiny is probably the best selling game this year(as of right now).

Ricky_R

I'm just trying to think why he's made these estimates, his mindset etc lol. It's pretty much a given the PS4 wins this month, yet he thinks otherwise lol.

Was your first sentence sarcasm? If not, your post is confusing.

Unless you meant uneducated.

Figments

Agreed I don't know why people keep harping on this. People predicting MS to outsell Sony has nothing to do with their servers and won't make Sony better them.

I've said time and again to take your issues and grievances about Sonys online infrastructure to twitter and tweet them to Playstation execs.

MS outselling Sony for 1 month won't make them improve their network.

Though if they were consistently losing sales on a month-to-month basis (the likelihood of that happening is like NK being able to have a successful ICBM in the next twenty years), they'd be more hard-pressed to listen.

You can't argue that.
Who am I kidding? Yes you can.

geordiemp

Agree totally. He may rub people up, especially Nintendo fans, but he is normally on the right side of predictions and market understanding.

This one is just so odd.

OsirisBlack

Banned
As a PS4 owner with no intent to buy the xbone this would be welcome news.

Nothing would be worse than Sony thinking they outright won the console war within 12 months after release.
Competition is important.
I actually agree with this a lot very good point. I think November will be MS month. Now February will be very pro Sony. This holiday season is going to be super interesting.

YuShtink

You mean the games that look and run better on the PS4?

Or are you talking about exclusives. In that regard....what?

All my opinion:

Right now the XB1 has a better opening year library than the PS4 and more attractive exclusives through the fall. The reason Sony has been leading so handily is because of ill will towards MS's policies and pricing, not because they have better games available. And maybe that is starting to change. Sony's first year offerings have been pretty poor overall (imo), and MS has rebounded in a big way with big changes, updates, and a steady stream of decent-to-great exclusive content all year long.

Biker19

Banned
Joke post? XD lol sometimes can't tell

It's Hindle you're talking to.

All my opinion:

Right now the XB1 has a better opening year library than the PS4 and more attractive exclusives through the fall. The reason Sony has been leading so handily is because of ill will towards MS's policies and pricing, not because they have better games available. And maybe that is starting to change. Sony's first year offerings have been pretty poor overall (imo), and MS has rebounded in a big way with big changes, updates, and a steady stream of decent-to-great exclusive content all year long.

Since when has a struggling console ever came out on top due to a better gaming library? If that were true, then Microsoft would've overtaken Sony a long time ago. Heck, PS3 would've overtaken 360 in America due to that.

As a matter of fact, a first impression of your console is a longer lasting impression. One slip up from your console reveal, & it sticks with consumers throughout the generation. Doesn't matter if your next E3 turns out to be terrific.

Boke1879

He's been wrong and off by quite a bit numerous times

Yes, I know...But just adding my opinion....

Well, besides friends / exclusives....what are the value propositions for the consoles ( excl bundles and price discounts)

++ Sony have the better hardware design for running games

++ MS have the better online server network

Its important points, and its the Sony weakness at the moment in my opinion. Fortunately for Sony its easier to rectify than the way MS designed their hardware imo.

In September, no games have server network issues, it's only arrived with Driveclub which is apparently a software issue with the game. Hey I would love if Sony provided dedicated servers for everything, but I'm just not understanding what you mean by this is a wake up call. A Pachter prediction is a wake up call for Sony?

I said his prediction is worst I have seen....of course Ps4 will sell more, probably 30-40 % more...

Just trying to point out any competitive push against Sony should get them to sort out Psn, which is their major weakness imo.

I think the issue is we're not clear why you are linking Pachter's prediction/this thread topic with a "competitive push". If you mean free games MS has been doing that the entire year so far with various games. Like I said, I would love if Sony improved with network performance but I'm not sure how that is related to September NPD numbers.

Suspends and resume works great for me. Just used it to continue my game of Horizon 2 I started last night.
Yeah, it finally started working for me. Shut off my Xbox One the other night and turned it back on only to load up Horizon 2 and be in the middle of a race, lol.

Loudninja

Sony said they had their best week this year with Destiny?
What a week! Since Destiny launched one week ago, it has officially become the biggest PS4 game launch in North America ever. The game broke records for being the fastest purchased and most played PS4 game during its first week on sale. In fact, last week was our single biggest PS4 hardware sales week since Christmas 2013! That’s a lot of PS4s. Thanks, Guardians!
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/09/17/destiny-ps4s-biggest-software-launch-yet/

geordiemp

All my opinion:

Eh ?

Most people I know bought Ps4 because it ran COD ghosts in 1080 and Xb1 was 720, and Ps is seen as the better hardware.

Its how the big third party sellers run on console, the CODs / Battelfields / Fifa's etc that's important to sales.

Quotient

I haven't read through all the response, so apologies if someone already discusses this point, amazon sales can be used as a good gage of general sales across a time period and looking at amazon's video games sales for september shows data that is completely opposite of what Pachter is suggesting.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014-09/videogames/

PS4 console at positions: 6 and 11.
Xbox one console at position: 28.

If i remember correctly Amazon was also running the xbox one free game offer.

I honestly would be very surprised if every other retailer was the completely opposite of Amazon, especially as Pachter is suggesting that Microsoft sold 25% more consoles than Sony.

All my opinion:

I'd take Resogun over the Xbox One's entire existing exclusive library combined.

This whole "Xbox has a better library" is SO subjective. I wish people would stop peddling it as if it was fact.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but this is not the first month the Xbox One has has some very good deals. Couldn't you find the TitanFall bundle for the same price as the console by itself - or even a little cheaper?

Suspends and resume works great for me. Just used it to continue my game of Horizon 2 I started last night.

I've had it not work a few times, although I don't know what causes it. Dead Rising 3 has been the one I've had the most issues with, but it's also the game I've suspended/resumed the most times.

Biker19

Banned
I'd take Resogun over the Xbox One's entire existing exclusive library combined.

This whole "Xbox has a better library" is SO subjective. I wish people would stop peddling it as if it was fact.

Especially when some of it's lineup of games like DeadRising 3, Ryse, TitanFall, & Forza Horizon 2 are all on other platforms.

Jomjom

Banned
Thursday will be sooo fun, cant wait!

Will be the most fun if he's actually right (really doubt it, but who knows crazier things have happened). The meltdowns!

Pachter is good at kicking up dust by taking contrarion views.

It works brilliantly for him.

Don't really get what he gets out of that. He's not a game writer fishing for clicks or something. I sometimes think he just doesn't really care about his gaming predictions as that's not what really makes his clients money. Nobody's getting rich investing in any game companies.

Top Bottom