• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter Predicts: Xbox One outsold PS4 in September (dance, you puppets)

BigDug13

Err, are some of you 17-19 year olds here or something? I'd say the irregularity is Sony screwing up during the PS3 generation than MS screwing up this gen (which they did as well). Did people completely forget that the PS1 and PS2 completely dominated their generations?

It's been a long generation. Loads of American early 20's guys who think Xbox is the beezneez when it comes to historical context of game console greatness.

Xbox was pretty fantastic the previous two generations as far as creating a properly spec'd console with some great exclusives and they're doing fairly well at bringing the exclusives this gen. But the weaksauce specs is such a drastic departure from what the Xbox brand was built on.

MrMephistoX

Oh for fucks sake...
mQeHCDp.png

I haven't laughed aloud this much over a photoshop in quite some time: that is art.

Edit; the douche crying "false" in the comments is my second favorite part.

Cheerilee

Why is he even relevant anymore? I mean seriously, why are we giving this guy any kind of publicity?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=134301797&postcount=1901

He doesn't get paid to analyse the video game industry.

He gets paid to analyse whether companies are a good investment or not.

Specifically, Pachter covers these companies:

1) Best Buy
2) GameStop
3) Outerwall
4) RadioShack
5) Activision Blizzard
6) Parametric Sound Corp.
7) Electronic Arts
8) Take-Two Interactive Software
9) Majesco Entertainment Company
10) Ubisoft Entertainment
11) Nintendo
12) Amazon
13) Pandora Media
14) King Digital Entertainment
15) Zynga
16) Netflix
17) AMC Entertainment
18) IMAX
19) Carmike Cinemas
20) Regal Entertainment
21) Cinemark Holdings

And he used to do even more (like THQ) but a number of companies he used to cover are now bankrupt.

THAT is what Pachter does for a living. He comprehensively covers 21 companies with incredibly detailed, thoughtful analyses of investment risks, growth opportunities, and company health.

While he does that, on the side, Pachter releases notes about the state of the video game market, the state of the domestic movie industry, etc. quite regularly to supplement his coverage of the above companies.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=134314214&postcount=1980

Pachter's output is absolutely incredible.

He writes hundreds upon hundreds upon HUNDREDS of pages of analysis every month for those 21 companies he covers.

He does SO much work, it's actually quite impressive. The NPD Predictions stuff takes him two hours (maybe even less) to come up with.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=134350430&postcount=2079

There is a LOT to Pachter that you don't see reported to game sites.

I've seen everything that he releases, and I can tell you firsthand that he absolutely, definitely, 100% deserves his job...even if he makes silly, controversial comments to the public...and he is a bit of an attention whore at times.

The vast majority of analysing that Pachter does (that the general public never sees), is thoughtful, well-reasoned, and intelligent. He's definitely a good person to follow if you're interested in investment recommendations.

And even his video game predictions are not that bad most of the time. Pachter makes predictions every month...and most months nobody makes a thread about them because they're reasonable.

And in the yearly NPD Prediction rankings, Pachter scores decently. Hell, he was one rank above me in 2013.

This month, Pachter's XBO and Wii U predictions were perfectly fine...it was just his PS4 prediction that is wonky.

Bricky

The fact that he is good at his 'actual' job doesn't mean we can't laugh at major predictions like this being horribly wrong though. He's still an industry analyst, and whatever part of that it may be that gets him his largest paycheck doesn't make it any less shameful that anyone with a little knowledge of the gaming industry (like GAF) can tell that his major predictions (and not the extremely safe ones he makes) are wrong and that turns out to be that way again and again and again.

I don't think anyone really dislikes the guy or wouldn't appreciate the real work he does, but he simply sucks at predicting stuff when he isn't doing tons of paperwork for it. With all he knows about the industry it's just embarrassing.

This is ripe for fun.

Someone edit Pacther's face onto the nodding Gandalf gif and change the sub header to dance, you fools with Pacther smugly laughing and nodding his head in the OP.

Cheerilee

The fact that he is good at his 'actual' job doesn't mean we can't laugh at major predictions like this being horribly wrong though. He's still an industry analyst, and whatever part of that it may be that gets him his largest paycheck doesn't make it any less shameful that anyone with a little knowledge of the gaming industry (like GAF) can tell that his major predictions (and not the extremely safe ones he makes) are wrong and that turns out to be that way again and again and again.

I don't think anyone really dislikes the guy or wouldn't appreciate the real work he does, but he simply sucks at predicting stuff when he isn't doing tons of paperwork for it. With all he knows about the industry it's just embarrassing.

The question was, why is he relevant, and why do people give him publicity? The answer to both is that he's a major figure, and deservedly so. And he doesn't beat around the bush, so he sometimes gives reporters one-liners that make great headlines.

We can laugh at his major predictions being wrong because that's fun. What we can't do is take the joke seriously. This was never a "major prediction", it was an offhand comment, blown up because it was shocking.

It's not true that "anyone with a little knowledge of the gaming industry (like GAF)" can tell that he's going to be wrong again and again, because Pachter casually competes with the best of the best of GAF, and can easily hold his own.

It's been a long generation. Loads of American early 20's guys who think Xbox is the beezneez when it comes to historical context of game console greatness.

This is so true. I'm only 24 but I've been gaming since I was 4 and remember when the Playstation first entered the scene. But there are people only a couple of years younger than me that may have started gaming much later, and would have had an Xbox 360 as their first console and not realise just how much of a fluke the 360 was.
It's so damn surreal.

Maybe he was drunk when he gave his NPD prediction or just trolling? If he was really that good at analysis, his prediction shouldn't be far off from reality like this.

Pachter is probably drinking some Johnny Walker and driving his 911 as we speak.

You said he is trying to get himself killed?

rambis

Banned

I really don't see why or how he should be "embarassed" by anything. He's very respected in industry he works for, I highly doubt the relatively small group of people who use this forum laughing him makes a huge difference against that. And as aqua pointed out, his predictions arent really any more wrong on average than any other respected analyst.

People need to realize that there is a whole world outside the few corners of the internet they might frequent.

Top Bottom