• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter: PS5 to be a half step, release in 2019 with PS4 BC

bitbydeath

" said:
The PlayStation 4 Pro is better [from a technical perspective] than the PS4, so I think that’s a half step towards the PlayStation 5. I think the PS5 will be another half step.

how much faster can it be? It will surely support 4K. Will it support 240 frames per second? Great. Will it play games that were made for the PlayStation 4 PRO? That’s the question. I think it will.

My expectation that is that it’s not coming out in 2018. That is a 2019 0r 2020 but probably 2019.

http://gamingbolt.com/ps5-will-like...-will-possibly-launch-in-2019-michael-pachter

I don't know if Pachter is getting wiser or I'm getting dumber but I agree with him.

I can see the PS5 do a minor jump to reach 4K as a standard but most effort be pushed towards CPU to improve performance for PSVR(2).

Half close if old.

That's a safe assumption. I mean, if the gap between Pro and 5 is the same as 4 and Pro, we're looking at a 10Tflops machine.

True Fire

Pachter pops up near the end of the generation like dandelions at the end of winter. There's no getting rid of him, huh?

It feels like 2019 or 2020 would still be way too early for a PS5.

Like, pretty much all the big games that the PS4 was hyped up with or expected to have back in 2013 have all barely just come out, not out yet, or are outright vaporware. That's something that can and will hurt a PS5 that comes out too soon.

And PSVR isn't even a year old yet.

autoduelist

I find this doubtful. 2020 at the earliest in my opinion, and it won't be a 'half-step'. They're going to want to market the PS5 as a beast, not a 'half-step', so that doesn't make any sense to me.

We're still relatively early in the gen, PS4 is still selling tons, there's no reason to rush into next gen especially since games take longer to develop nowadays. My guess is actually more like 2021-2023.

They're in the sweet spot right now, with tons of people still getting on board this gen. They have no interest in jumping gens anytime soon.

Jolkien

He's joking there right?

What do you think ? Obviously, he doesn't care about that stuff he says so to Geoff during an interview they did during this year E3.

Wouldn't surprise me if he'd be right. Nothing in that prediction is out of the left field. And it's more than likely it'll be backward compatible.

Wheatly

giphy.gif

Magwik

Banned
I mean that makes this gen 6 years.
More than plenty.
Consoles can't go another generation of 7+ years with how much has changed

Kuro

I think the 240fps remark has to be related to VR. I think that's the frame rate that is considered the best for VR even though its insanely hard to get there.

I think it'll be a sort of "half-step" from PS4 Pro but a full step from PS4. It'll be a full new generation in the sense that devs will be allowed to make games that run on it but not the PS4 or PS4 Pro, but it'll have full PS4/PS4 Pro BC so devs who don't need more power than what the base PS4 provides (which applies to most indie to mid-tier devs) will be able to treat the PS5 like a second tier of PS4 Pro.

2019 I can see, but Pachter doesn't know anything, just guessing.

No way will they retire the PS4 in 2019. Sony is going to coast on the PS4 and Pro for as long as possible. If the Switch continues to thrive, it would not shock me at all if we saw a portable PS4 in 2019 too.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
FFFFFF no BC?!

That's a safe assumption. I mean, if the gap between Pro and 5 is the same as 4 and Pro, we're looking at a 10Tflops machine.

thats not anywhere near a half step considering the RAM and CPU improvements brought to the table. Far bigger of a jump than Ps4 to PS Pro. And sony are not looking at PSPro to PS5, but PS4 to PS5

PS4 to PS5 will essentially be a gen leap which it should be

jett

D-Member
Pachter has been really off the mark lately, I'm not sure if his predictions warrant threads anymore.

I can't imagine a hypothetical PS5 still stuck on Jaguar. That would be really sad. I don't expect another half-step myself. Pro sales and interest in it seem to be pretty low. People don't want this shit.

bitbydeath

No way will they retire the PS4 in 2019. Sony is going to coast on the PS4 and Pro for as long as possible. If the Switch continues to thrive, it would not shock me at all if we saw a portable PS4 in 2019 too.

PS4 won't be retired as soon as PS5 releases.

Top Bottom