• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter Says “Why Would Anybody Buy A Wii U? [Except to play Nintendo games]”

Controversial Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter believes that Nintendo is currently in a world of trouble. Pachter cites the lack of third-party support for the company’s latest home console, coupled with the looming release of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, as a problem that Nintendo doesn’t seem able to fix. Pachter genuinely questions why anyone would choose to buy a Wii U at this point in time.

“The publishers are pretty excited to support the Xbox One and the PS4 – they really didn’t say anything about the Wii U. And we know EA has no games in development for Wii U. If Activision pulls support; if you see Ubisoft , you see Take-Two pull support, the Wii U is a Nintendo-only gaming device which is what they were back with the Nintendo Entertainment System in 1985. They’re not going to sell a lot of consoles if they don’t have games like FIFA and Battlefield and Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto. Due to that, Pachter asks a simple rhetorical question: “Why would anybody buy a Wii U?”

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/07/04/pachter-says-why-would-anybody-buy-a-wii-u/

I've got more I'm looking forward to on the Wii U than the other two, personally, but I know I am in the extremely vast minority here.

It is a fair question, at least as far as 2013 releases are concerned. Besides 101, the release calendar is barren of anything even remotely interesting.

Into

To play Nintendo games?

Regardless of what one thinks of Nintendo and some of their questionable policies especially regarding online and tech, they still made some of the highest rated games on Metacritic, clearly showing that they do make quality games.

I see no reason why their developers would suddenly lose that talent as if it this was Space Jam and all their ability got sucked out of them and they started churning out bad games.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Because it has more exclusives right now than the PS4 and X1 combined.

Won't stay that way of course, but late 2013/2014 is looking solid for Wii U.

Petrae

It's indeed a fair question. Right now, there aren't many/any reasons to spend the $300+. Once the software cavalry finally shows up, maybe this changes, but games like Pikmin 3 and The Wonderful 101 won't sell hardware. They'll appeal to those who already took the plunge. Good for existing owners, not so good for increasing install base.

Perhaps if Mr. Pachter asks this question in a year, the answers will be more immediate instead of forward-looking "just wait 'til" responses.

Eusis

Honestly I'm not sure anyone would've bought a Nintendo system for at least two of those examples (Battlefield and GTA.) FIFA I assume would be a consideration for people who wanted a cheaper console though Nintendo needs to get the Wii U cheaper first, and CoD's just been reliably released on the system so I'm guessing there's a fanbase that DOES want it there, nevermind the possible preference for Wii Remote controls when there.

Krakn3Dfx

Michael Pachter questions why anyone would buy a Wii U.

Based on his previous observations, this is like a full on prediction that the Wii U will turn around and be the best selling console in history.

The same reason people bought the Nintendo 64 and Gamecube.

or wii
It is a fair question, at least as far as 2013 releases are concerned. Besides 101, the release calendar is barren of anything even remotely interesting.

I think W101 will sell pretty badly compared to some of the games in the 2013 lineup (mainly mario 3DWorld, Wii Fit U and Donkey Kong)

it may hit pikmin 3 levels at best.

3DS has that, it's cheaper and has a more matured and varied catalog. If you just want Nintendo games, it's the best option you have.

Hm some games you want to play on the big screen though, like Pikmin and X.

Also, it seems like Pachter is aiming to be this year's Gerstmann.

The same reason I buy other Nintendo consoles, the exclusive Nintendo games. Although they did a horrible job with their year head start. They managed not only no 3rd party support but in a new twist forgot to release 1st part games as well. It was a n64 level drought w/o the luxury of a great couple launch games

I would question why someone would buy a multiplat games on a wii u more than I would question buying the actual system.

So battlefield 4 isn't coming to the wii u? Sucks but I wasn't buying it for the wii u anyway. I bought my wii u for Nintendo games.

Tripon

Michael Pachter must really dislike the 3DS since he tends to ignore and not cite it in his analysis of Nintendo. Can't have anything that contradicts what you're saying.

Yawnier

Banned
Right now, I don't see much of an incentive to buy the system especially if you have a 3DS to tie you over in those Nintendo first party games. However, after more of the prominent exclusive games are released for the Wii U I feel as though it will become a system well worth owning, just like the 3DS after a year or so. I hope so anyways, the market needs as much competition as it can get right now.

GamerJM

Banned
I feel like people who aren't Nintendo fans fail to comprehend the fact that there's a substantial difference between what was being released on the NES and what Nintendo is releasing today. Why would anyone buy a PS4 or Xbox One to play the new Battlefield or Grand Theft Auto when they can play those on their 360/PS3? It's a gigantic double standard here.

Top Bottom