• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter Says “Why Would Anybody Buy A Wii U? [Except to play Nintendo games]”

or wii

I think W101 will sell pretty badly compared to some of the games in the 2013 lineup (mainly mario 3DWorld, Wii Fit U and Donkey Kong)

it may hit pikmin 3 levels at best.

Yeah, the Wii U has a lot of hits that can match up to Wii Sports or Wii Fit.

Like, uh...

Nintendo Land?

Honestly guys, this is just sad. Michael Pachter didn't say "hey, why would anyone on NeoGAF want to buy the Wii U?" He's asking what compelling reasons the general market would have for wanting the Wii U. Right now, there are none. And I don't see anything compelling on the horizon. Bayonetta 2? Is that a joke?

Tripon

I would question why someone would buy a multiplat games on a wii u more than I would question buying the actual system.

So battlefield 4 isn't coming to the wii u? Sucks but I wasn't buying it for the wii u anyway. I bought my wii u for Nintendo games.

No, but you're getting CoD: Ghosts, and Splinter Cell: Blacklist for your FPS needs this fall/winter.

I'd buy one, it's just wayyyy too expensive and the games are much too expensive.
150 euro console and 40-50 euro games and I'd get one right away.

Espada

That's a silly question, Pachter. People will buy the Wii U for the same reason they bought the N64, GC, and Wii: To play Nintendo games. More people would jump on it if the price were lower, true, but that's why they buy Ninty's machines.

Heyt

Banned
Can the 3DS handle X, Bayonetta 2 and W101?

No, but those are just a tiny fraction of the "Nintendo games".

Can you play Kid Icarus Uprising or Luigi's Mansion 2 on WiiU? nope.

But if you want 3D/2D Mario games, Smash Bros, Donkey Kong, Sonic, Mario Kart, Zelda ,etc 3DS has you covered for less money.

I really don't like Patcher but I have to agree with him on this one.

No_Style

Pachter genuinely questions why anyone would choose to buy a Wii U at this point in time.

He's absolutely right. Which is why I'm waiting for those first party Nintendo games that were revealed in their E3 Nintendo Direct to come out and a price cut in 2014.

Duster

He's right about the "at this point of time" part, if you haven't got one by now why would you chose tomorrow to buy one?
You'd either wait for a price drop, an attractive bundle or one of the upcoming big releases.

gogogow

Pachter is so simple-minded. Sure, it doesn't have a lot of third-party. What about people buying it to play first party games and buy another console, PS4/Xbone to play the third party games it's missing? People can't own two consoles?

dagamer34

Neo Member
To play Nintendo games?

Regardless of what one thinks of Nintendo and some of their questionable policies especially regarding online and tech, they still made some of the highest rated games on Metacritic, clearly showing that they do make quality games.

I see no reason why their developers would suddenly lose that talent as if it this was Space Jam and all their ability got sucked out of them and they started churning out bad games.

The question has never been can they make quality games but can they convince a large number of people outside of the Nintendo faithful to buy their system.

Sadist

You know, those games on the system would be nice for people who can't make a decision, but Pachter; were Battlefield, GTA, FIFA or CoD ever the driving force to sell a Nintendo system?

You know what the answer is, you're a smart man.

Mr-Joker

Banned
3DS has that, it's cheaper and has a more matured and varied catalog. If you just want Nintendo games, it's the best option you have.

But I can't play Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2, X, The Wonderful 101, etc on a 3DS.

Honestly the Xone and PS4 overlap a lot with my PC and I'm not sure they're worth their respective prices. I've also never owned a Nintendo console ever so not only would I be interested in the current exclusives, I could catch up on a lot of classic games too thanks to backwards compatibility and the virtual console. Not too shabby.

"Pachter genuinely questions why anyone would choose to buy a Wii U at this point in time."

I agree with him, or I should say I agree with the phrase 'at this point in time'. There is no way for me to justify spending that much when there is only a couple of decent games out at the moment (that can't be played elsewhere). Now when Pikmin 3 comes out, it's going to be hard to resist, but I'll wait.

Zero148

because of Mario (2D and 3D), Mario Kart, Bayonetta, X, W101, Pikmin, Donkey Kong, Lego City, ZombiU, Zelda and other upcoming high profile exclusives. In other words, games. Also for local Multiplayer (Nintendoland, Game and Wario and 5 player local multi in other games)

zruben

Banned
so... this Patcher thing...

when he said something is doomed... then the oposite happens, right?. or did I miss something in the last months?

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
No, but those are just a tiny fraction of the "Nintendo games".

Can you play Kid Icarus Uprising or Luigi's Mansion 2 on WiiU? nope.

But if you want 3D/2D Mario games, Smash Bros, Donkey Kong, Sonic, Mario Kart, Zelda ,etc 3DS has you covered for less money.

I really don't like Patcher but I have to agree with him on this one.

DS zelda is wayyyyy different from console zelda

Hell same with all the other games too >_>

so... this Patcher thing...

when he said something is doomed... then the oposite happens, right?. or did I miss something in the last months?

Nintendo has been doomed in the console gaming business since 1981...

I don't think some people understand how the market works.

The Wii didn't sell ridiculous numbers because of Mario and Zelda. It sold ridiculous numbers because of Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit, etc. Those mass market games brought in millions of new consumers, and those consumers poured into traditional Nintendo series, expanding their audiences. However, just releasing those traditional Nintendo series without the expanded audience games won't lead to high sales. We saw that with the N64 and Gamecube. This isn't a complicated concept. Even if Nintendo releases their traditional series for the Wii U (Super Smash Bros., Zelda, Mario), it will only appeal to a limited audience.

Wynnebeck

Banned
X, Pikmin, Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101, Zelda, Metroid, Mario. You know the big hitters

I don't mean to be that person but only Mario would be the only game out of that group to sell consoles. Pikmin? No. Bayonetta 2? Barely did over a million copies when it was multiplatform on PS360. Wonderful 101? No. Zelda? Last Zelda sold poorly. I can't imagine seeing it actually move consoles. Metroid? Other M killed it. As sad as it sounds, Nintendo needs the support of 3rd parties to entice people to come to their platform. I know we like to say, "Pfft! Pachter is an idiot! I bought my Wii U to play awesome Nintendo games!" That's great for you as a core gamer but not for Nintendo trying to appeal to a broad base and build up an install number that is going to want 3rd parties to put games out on their system in the first place. This ridiculous "poo-pooing" of Pachter's statement is insane when if you take a step back and look at the big picture, you'll see he's absolutely right.

Jintor

Exclusives

This ridiculous "poo-pooing" of Pachter's statement is insane when if you take a step back and look at the big picture, you'll see he's absolutely right.

He asked the wrong rhetorical question. He should have asked "why would the average consumer buy a wii u".

Most def right about 'this point in time' thing though.

Village

Except NES, SNES, GBA, DS, 3DS. Bad library is bad.

What the shit are you talking about son?

Like I literally do not get the context of this statement please elaborate it could mean two different things and would like to know which way this is going.

Jack_AG

Banned
Truthfully, my only reason for a Wii U are 1st party titles and there's nothing wrong with that. Nintendo has excellent 1st party offerings, IMO.

PC, Wii U and PS4 is plenty for me next gen (with a splash of handheld for good measure).

Sorcerer

Pachter in my mind is looking a little foolish asking this question.

I know he said that when Bayonetta 2 comes out he will be buying a Wii-U.

He should fact check his own quotes.

Possum

How about...

WiiU_MarioKart8_scrn01_E3.jpg

WiiU_SmashBros_scrnS01_03_E3.jpg

WiiU_Pikmin3_2_scrn02_E3.jpg

WiiU_Wonder101_scrn05_E3.jpg

Sonic-Lost-World-052913-7.jpg

Super-Mario-3D-World-6.jpg

Bayonetta-2-1.jpg

Bombadil

Banned
Super Mario
Sonic
Super Smash Brothers
Zelda
The Wonderful 101
Yoshi's Yarn
Wario
Project Cars
Mario Kart
Pikmin 3
Rayman Legends
Mario Party
Wii U Party (maybe)
Earthbound
Ducktales Remastered (hell yes!)
Zelda Windwaker HD
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
Disney Infinity (maybe)
X
Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (maybe)
Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem
A Hat in Time (maybe)
Kirby (maybe)
Oddworld New N' Tasty

That's 24 games I want right off the bat.

I assume that, throughout the course of the Wii U's lifecycle, there may be an additional 24 games that I'll want.

That's 48 games.

Why is everyone treating the Wii U like it's Paula Deen?

Tripon

I don't think some people understand how the market works.

The Wii didn't sell ridiculous numbers because of Mario and Zelda. It sold ridiculous numbers because of Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit, etc. Those mass market games brought in millions of new consumers, and those consumers poured into traditional Nintendo series, expanding their audiences. However, just releasing those traditional Nintendo series without the expanded audience games won't lead to high sales. We saw that with the N64 and Gamecube. This isn't a complicated concept.

I suppose the question is if Wii Fit, Wii Play, and the other "Wii" series can bring back the casuals. I don't see an iOS or Android app that is basically a virtual trainer for you like Wii Fit is. They're all just check lists or pedometers. There is no active feedback of your progress.

If Nintendo markets the heck out of Wii Fit U, I think they can get some of that casual crowd back that will spend money on the latest fitness fad.

Eusis

I would question why someone would buy a multiplat games on a wii u more than I would question buying the actual system.

So battlefield 4 isn't coming to the wii u? Sucks but I wasn't buying it for the wii u anyway. I bought my wii u for Nintendo games.
And that's kind of the thing: if you REALLY care about those games more and weren't just going to go PC for them then PS4/XB1 was going to be a better choice. BF4 at 60 FPS with 64 player maps? Those really WERE too damn big for just 24 or whatever it was on consoles, and with the exception of maybe CoD all of them will run way better on those consoles, and the only reason CoD's a possible exception is because it'll be hitting 60 FPS regardless and while the resolution SHOULD be higher it's arguable if it's even that big of a deal for the series. And in that instance it's the player bases you care about, not performance.

Watch_Dogs is the only one I'll seriously consider on Wii U over PS4, and if I can use the Vita exactly like the Game Pad ideally would AND it's very responsive then there's not much reason for Wii U if you're also an avid handheld fan.

EDIT: I also think people are missing the implication that if you're a mainstream gamer, possibly a "dudebro" then there's not much reason to get the Wii U over the others. Which admittedly held true with Wii anyway, but then with the casual audience it becomes a question of value versus a tablet or smartphone, and many of them may well be happier getting a Nexus 7 or an older iPad that's cheapish.

khaaan

I think people should take into account the "at this point in time" part of his statement. I agree, there's little incentive to buy a WiiU at the moment but they've announced some good stuff and will surely have more coming which will turn it into a console worth owning.

amr

Banned
He's right.

New Super Mario Bros. U
Nintendo Land
Game & Wario

Those are the Nintendo games on the system right now. Only one of those is a big franchise, and it was a franchise that saw a 3DS sequel a few months earlier. Nintendo home consoles aren't seen as investments in a new generation; gamers know third parties are going to focus on the PlayStation and the Xbox. Nintendo games sell Nintendo consoles, and right now the Wii U has very few. Nintendo hasn't given gamers any reason to buy now.

What the shit are you talking about son?

Like I literally do not get the context of this statement please elaborate it could mean two different things and would like to know which way this is going.

English.

Statement 1.) [the only reason to buy Nintendo systems is always the Nintendo IPs in spite of a limited 3rd party library, and always has been]

Statement 2.) [except that's not true for many Nintendo systems, present and past]

Top Bottom