• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter Says “Why Would Anybody Buy A Wii U? [Except to play Nintendo games]”

I've got more I'm looking forward to on the Wii U than the other two, personally, but I know I am in the extremely vast minority here.

For me, these are all the games that either has been, or will be releasing in 2013 that I'm planning on getting. Not to mention multiplatform titles like Splinter Cell and Batman Arkham Origins that I'll pick up eventually. That's 10 games for this year alone. I honestly don't even need another console at this point since Nintendo has me covered.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Lego City Undercover
Pikmin 3
The Wonderful 101
Super Mario 3D Land
Sonic Lost Worlds
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Zelda Wind Waker: HD

People have different tastes breh.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I'm starting to understand what Pachter meant when he said probably 95% of NeoGAF doesn't understand how the video game industry operates and why he gives the predictions and insights he does.

beast786

X, Pikmin, Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101, Zelda, Metroid, Mario. You know the big hitters

how many of above are going to be mainstream hits? We already got Mario at lunch.

That being sad, why would anyone get both ps4/xb1 when again it would be pretty much same

WiiU and Nintendo at least provide experience that will be unique.

To me ps4/xb1 and WiiU is probably the most deversified to have with pc

oneils

In the video he says:

Pacther said:
Why would you buy a Wii U? You know, unless you just have to play Nintendo games. I think the way it actually shakes out is - anyone who buys a Wii U, who really is a hardcore gamer, is going to buy a PS 4 or an Xbox One in addition. So that they can play those third party titles that they love. And I think Nintendo becomes a distant third in this console race.

Exclusives

He asked the wrong rhetorical question. He should have asked "why would the average consumer buy a wii u".

Most def right about 'this point in time' thing though.

The quote in the OP is missing some words. He didn't say why would anybody buy a Wii U, he said "why would anybody buy a Wii U unless they just have to play Nintendo games".

Seems like the site in the op is just fishing for hits if you asked me.

If Activision pulls support; if you see Ubisoft , you see Take-Two pull support, the Wii U is a Nintendo-only gaming device which is they way they were back with the Nintendo Entertainment System in 1985," he continued. "They're not going to sell a lot of consoles if they don't have games like FIFA and Battlefield and Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto."

I believe Pachter is referring to those who want to be engaged with the 8th generation.

Clearly, without FIFA and Battlefield and Grand Theft Auto and multiplats, the Wii U cannot actively participate in the 8th generation. Multiplats are necessary for a console ecosystem.

Yeah, you can get a Wii U for Nintendo games. But unless you want to miss out on a ton of experiences in the 8th console gen, you're going to have to purchase another console. It can't operate independently...I think that's why Pachter questions its usefulness.

Why would you buy a console when you have to buy ANOTHER console to experience the vast majority of the console gen?

I buy every system at launch and I haven't bought one yet. And I won't until either a big price cut comes or I just can't stand not being able to play a game. Maybe 3D World will do that to me. Maybe not.

It will be tough to justify this year since I'm buying both the PS4 and Xbone.

The question is incomplete. The full question ought to read, "Why Would Anybody Buy A Wii U, Since No One Knows It Exists?"

Bombadil

Banned
I'm starting to understand what Pachter meant when he said probably 95% of NeoGAF doesn't understand how the video game industry operates and why he gives the predictions and insights he does.

But he's wrong a lot, too.

So he doesn't really understand how the industry operates. Either that or his understanding of the industry hasn't allowed him to make accurate predictions.

FlyFaster

Nintendo games and a few interesting 3rd party titles like X.

I'm also OK with this. It's the only place you can get their games and the vast majority of them are consistently stellar.

English.

Statement 1.) [the only reason to buy Nintendo systems is always the Nintendo IPs in spite of a limited 3rd party library, and always has been]

Statement 2.) [except that's not true for many Nintendo systems, present and past]

Revisionist history at its finest.

I'm all for buying the wii u to use as a nintendo game box but at the current price? Not sure even that is worth it. I will get one one day though when it drops to 199 or 249 with a GOOD pack in aka mario or something.

I don't know why anyone other than the hardcorest of hardcore would pay the current price EVEN for nintendo games.

Platy

Off TV Play > Any tv integration that PS4 and Xbox1 can offer
No sign of paying to get online
You already have the tablet that those games that uses an ipad need.
Cheaper
Monster Hunter, Platinum and Nintendo Games

Super Metroid with off tv play

Boy does Pachter have it backwards.

Right now PS4 and Xbone are the systems that look to be the really tough sell.

Yeah, they've been generating no hype whatsoever. Especially with those weak preorder numbers. Meanwhile, the Wii U has been flying off the shelf.

Also, I'm really disappointed in the amount of people in this thread using fanboy logic instead of actually being intelligent in their posting. It's painful to read. Yeah, Bayonetta 2 is a great game for the tiny niche that wants to play it. Not for a substantial number of people though. Nintendo games are decent sellers, but they won't make a mass market success all by themselves.

Petrae

yeah It doesn't seem worth 350 bucks to be the console I just play a few nintendo games on.

That's pretty much it. I have to weigh what I can and can't play on a new platform. I can play Mario in all of his forms but can't play any sports games, can't play Final Fantasy, can't play Metal Gear...

The can't games outweigh the can games. I can do without Mario. I don't wish to give up the other games I want to play just for Nintendo's games. So... the Wii U gets pushed to second or third on the platform purchase depth chart.

Coolwhip

Banned
Pachter beating the dead horse.

Are you saying Wii U isn't very appealing right now? Wow, really? Such insight!

Pachter is Captain Hindsight.

Sendou

Selection of existing exclusive titles such as ZombiU, Lego City Undercover, New Super Mario Bros. U and Nintendo Land (I'll admit that's not a very good reason). Also the promise of later exclusive titles such as Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, Super Smash Bros 4, Super Mario 3D World, Yarn Yoshi, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and Fire Emblem X SMT. It's hardly rocket science. Other than that it offers stuff like Off-TV play and social element integrated into the system in pretty clever way (Miiverse).

I could ask Patcher why would anyone buy Wii U if it was just like PS4 and Xbox One? Wouldn't it be better to pursue your own market? I'm confident that Wii U can co-exist with those two systems with lower price and quality exclusive driven selection of software.

MrValtor

Banned
Was Ocarina of Time originally a handheld game?

No but it's a remake of a game that came out 15 years ago. Did you actually want to say that Ocarina of Time 3D looks anything like Skyward Sword or the Zelda tech demo ? The only reason that I bought a Wii U for was for Nintendo titles and also because I wanted to see all those great franchises in HD.

How about...

WiiU_MarioKart8_scrn01_E3.jpg

Why is Mario doing loopty-loops on upside down, gravity defying race courses and appearing in a racing game for the 10th time instead of these guys?

f_zero_wallpaper_by_cepillo16-d472aul.jpg

...my crystal ball is showing me something. It's cloudy but I can barely make it out: "Oh, you have made new F-Zero engine, most honorable benchwarmer, R&D team? You should change it to Mario Kart. Let's just shit this whole department over there, mmmk?"

smh

Nintendo games, exclusives and whatever looks fun on Wii U. Why the need to have the exact same content on all platforms? I guess it would be easier/practical but... meh.

Frayzee

Banned
When I think of Nintendo I just assume the consoles are bought by soccer moms for young children or super nerdy guys.

I don't know a single person that owns a Wii U I knew a couple that got the original Wii and they played the thing for maybe a month before the novelty wore off.

Showaddy

Pachter has a point, although he's clearly speaking form the perspective of the mainstream audience.

Without the waggle games, wii fit, sport etc it's not casual enough for the casuals and with non-existent 3rd party support it's not hardcore enough for the hardcore.

The 1st party faithful will always be there but there's simply not enough of them.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

You live in backwards world. It must be pretty weird when poops come out of the toilet and up your butt. You have my condolences :(

Pachter has a point, although he's clearly speaking form the perspective of the mainstream audience.

Without the waggle games, wii fit, sport etc it's not casual enough for the casuals and with non-existent 3rd party support it's not hardcore enough for the hardcore.

The 1st party faithful will always be there but there's simply not enough of them.

Get out of here with your logical thinking. This is clearly a list war thread of irrelevant games.

Gnub

They’re not going to sell a lot of consoles if they don’t have games like FIFA and Battlefield and Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto.

Shoppers for these games already have a console that plays them. Who's going to buy a WiiU for these game if they already have a PS3/360?

Nintendo needs a lot of good exclusives from the big wigs to sell WiiUs but nobody wants to risk that. They also need to expand their Nintendo franchises into more geners. Where's our Mario paintball arena shooter?

scoobs

What? I'm so confused by your logic here, ps4 and Xbone are going to sell through the roof w/ BF4, CoD, and Assassins Creed releasing near launch. They'll probably pass Wii-U LTD sales in less than 6 months lol

Sendou

Why is Mario doing loopty-loops on upside down, gravity defying race courses and appearing in a racing game for the 10th time instead of these guys?

...my crystal ball is showing me something. It's cloudy but I can barely make it out: "Oh, you have made new F-Zero engine, most honorable benchwarmer, R&D team? You should change it to Mario Kart. Let's just shit this whole department over there, mmmk?"

smh

If this is a honest question then I would like to recommend you getting comfortable with an idea that Nintendo is a business. Just look at how F-Zero has sold historically compared to Mario Kart. It's not a secret which one is the priority and for what reason.

What? I'm so confused by your logic here, ps4 and Xbone are going to sell through the roof w/ BF4, CoD, and Assassins Creed releasing near launch. They'll probably pass Wii-U LTD sales in less than 6 months lol

Assassin's Creed 4, BF4, CoD: Ghosts... Such an inspiring selection of software. I'm pretty sure you can already play them on 360/PS3/PC. No need to drop in 400 or 500 dollars just for that pleasure.

Coolwhip

Banned
When I think of Nintendo I just assume the consoles are bought by soccer moms for young children or super nerdy guys.

I don't know a single person that owns a Wii U I knew a couple that got the original Wii and they played the thing for maybe a month before the novelty wore off.

Haha, damn. Super nerdy guys, while the super cool dudes that wear sunglasses inside buy a PS4 right? Come on now.

Top Bottom