• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter: "The handheld market sucks", "PS Vita is a joke" and more.

TS-08

I like the 'hes right' comments. Like he says something groundbreaking.

I assume it's a response to the OP's description of his comments as controversial. People are saying he is right to make the point that what he is saying isn't really controversial or "out there".

Thorgal

Originally Posted by More about Microsoft:
Microsoft is not in the games businnes to sell games, that isn't why they started this. Go back to 2001, Consumer Electronic Show, Bill Gates keynote... Billgates unveiled the Xbox and he said: "This box is going to be the entertainment hub in the living room". Now, Microsoft lost It's way early on because they had a bunch of guys working on the box who were former developers, you know all of them... those guys were gamers all the way and chased games, and they made the Xbox in to a hardcore game box.

And now they have fired them or they all left and it is the suits with dollar signs who are in controll of the xbox brand .

call me negative but i fear for the gamers that they will not be pleased when they reveal the 720

Prove me wrong microsoft .PROVE ME WRONG!

"A bloated, overpriced handheld console with no games isn't selling, clearly the handheld market sucks"

DS/3DS/PSP were fucking awesome, Pach is full of shit.

The latest Pach-Attack! is fully loaded with controversial commentaries regarding the handheld market. He basically talks about why Microsoft hasn't made a handheld gaming system, what he thinks about the PS Vita and more.

Here are some quotes from the episode.

he's absolutely right about microsoft's purpose and the xbox.

Genius. Nobody owns a Vita because it's too high class for us lowly peons.

not entirely incorrect. Sony and Microsoft went after the "mature" audience with their consoles. average age is in the mid 30s somewhere. The vita is designed with this audience in mind- it's a high end device that does a lot, and looks like a slick piece of A/V hardware, or a smartphone/tablet, and not a toy.

unfortunately, this audience they're targeting has never really had a need for handhelds. Most consumers that age drive regularly (meaning they're not walking around, or on buses or trains with time to kill), and have no issues with playing the games they want, when they want on their own TVs. Handhelds simply work better for a younger market.

The DS made some inroads with older consumers a long time ago with brain training, etc- but that market is entirely devoured by smartphones in the US.

DasMarcos

Banned
I agree with his sentiments on the Vita and it's such a missed opportunity for Sony. I love my Vita but everything surrounding it amounts to a joke. I'm in it for the software that is offered only through the Vita platform but for most that is certainly not enough. The price is much too high for the handheld, and the proprietary memory cards are disingenuous at best. I wish more of my friends could get excited for it and I totally understand why they can't. Come on Sony...learn from your mistakes, plz.

Vita wishes it could sell 5 million a year. 3 million would be unexpected on the current track. Nintendo's handling of the 3ds in the west is a joke as well

big_erk

I absolutely agree that the Vita does too much.
Cut functionality, cut price, make games for it.

And those fucking memory cards are criminal.

Yeah, when I have to spend as much time shopping mem card prices as deciding which game I want to play something is wrong. I also have to swap my PS+ downloads in and out on my mem cards. But as Nintendo used to say, it's time to clean out the fridge.

Joni

This is obviously good news for both Nintendo and Sony. It means the handheld market will boom with both of them selling bazillions of handhelds just so he gets proven wrong.

Skyzard

Banned
Well, Sony can always increase sales through revisions, and making sure software gets released. No doubt it won't reach astronomical levels but I'd argue since it's designed for gamers without much to attract casuals, and that it is somewhat of a luxury device (perhaps a userbase with on the whole more cash to spend). Probably why we still see decent sales for some titles even with the userbase as it is.

There is still the 3DS if people want a current and more affordable handheld, I personally wish they made the Vita even better. Even with bundles that saved people about £50 earlier before the pricecut it didn't change much, I doubt cutting the price a bit would have helped much, it would have had to be significant at which point it definitely would have even less chance with the 3DS (and PSP).

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The system is also declining year over year fairly often at this point.

Most of the decline is due to the low profile Holiday lineup in 2012, that caused the biggest decrease compared to last year, especially in Europe where it was selling costantly better than 2011 till October when the console just started doing on par with 2011. And we're still seeing effects now. Fortunately for them, they have a big lineup (that should be incomplete too) coming up in the next months, with Pokémon in October too.

Well, Sony can always increase sales through revisions, and making sure software gets released. No doubt it won't reach astronomical levels but I'd argue since it's designed for gamers without much to attract casuals, and that it is somewhat of a luxury device (perhaps a userbase with on the whole more cash to spend). Probably why we still see decent sales for some titles even with the userbase as it is.

There is still the 3DS if people want a current and more affordable handheld.

Sonys 10 million initial forecast disagrees

Superflat

Affordability is a big reason why I haven't picked up a Vita yet. When the price of a Vita, a game, and a memory card more than 8 gigs will buy me a Wii U, it's hard to justify unless there's a thick stack of universally acclaimed, unique games I can't play anywhere else, and it's not quite persuasive enough yet to drop what I consider a significant chunk of change. I plan to pick one up after a price drop or maybe a second generation Vita, but for now I'm just waiting.

GavinGT

Banned

There is still the 3DS if people want a current and more affordable handheld.

Says the guy who claimed Vita sales would reach the moon, just as soon as the world woke up and realized what they were missing.

Linkup

The handheld market is not as big as It used to be. With the 3DS I think Nintendo is probably going to continue to do ok, 15 million a year, that's a nice market for handhelds. With the Vita on the market, they (Sony) are going to make 5 million a year, why do we need a third (handheld)? All that would happend is that demand of 20 million handhelds will get split three ways instead of two. Nobody makes money selling five millions units a year

What three handhelds? Is he including DS along with Vita and 3DS?

Keslord

Banned
Pachter is shit? What a surprise!

Seriously, guys. He's not going to be right about 99% of things. You have to stop giving him attention just because of his hot and cold attitude towards everything (mainly his doom screams for Nintendo)

TS-08

No way really??

Look, I normally like Pach but dumb hyperbole like that only harms any legitimacy his statements may have had.

No it doesn't. He's making a point at how terribly it's selling and nothing more. I like the Vita, but it deserves that kind of hyperbole, because it's performance in the market to this point is about as bad as it gets.

2013 looks to be the strongest year the 3DS has ever had, maybe the strongest it will ever have. You've got at least 1 big title coming out for the next 6 months or so, then Pokemon, and whatever Nintendo's got lined up for the holiday. If it doesn't sell well in the West after this year, I'm not sure it ever will.

If it doesn't do DS numbers, that's fine; neither did the PSP, but it did okay for itself.

ps vita is a joke ? LOL

i read everything. i have iphone 5 and i have PS Vita i bought recently. while i dont take my vita with me @ the office. i play my vita more than games on iphone.

in fact i am honestly thinking we are reaching a point where the iOS games at its beak and it wont go much higher than this.

there is so much you can do without real buttons and full games.

need for speed most wanted on iphone is a joke compared to the Vita.

Sony need to market the Vita. push for high exclusive games. reduce the price and this shit will fly. its an amazing hardware in every aspect.

LeleSocho

Banned
Yes Nintendos handhelds will continue sell to an extent but do you really think thats good enough for Nintendo coming off of the DS?

15 million every year for 6 years... 90 millions, yeah i think that's good enough for nintendo.

Also fuck Pachter the handheld market is the only thing that hasn't turned to shit in gaming.

Vita wishes it could sell 5 million a year. 3 million would be unexpected on the current track. Nintendo's handling of the 3ds in the west is a joke as well

It might actually end up selling less than 2 million in the current FY. Can't tell for sure due to Sony's PSP/Vita sales obfuscation (which also includes moving Vita's FY2011 numbers into FY2012 for their financial results), but we know based on official statements that they had shipped 1.8 million by the end of last FY, and only 400K worldwide in the subsequent three months.

And yeah, 3DS' YOY declines are troubling. Wonder how much Pokemon will do to reverse or slow that.

Jackano

Same old pach, pointing out the obvious for vita and being wrong for the (Nintendo) handheld market.

When did Pacther turn into a 12 year old message board poster?

You don't know who's Pachter right?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
None of that seemed terribly controversial, the stuff about MS and XBox should come as a surprise to noone, and he's sadly on-point about why Vita is such a bad spot despite being a lovely bit of hardware.

That said I presume his comments/observations (as usual) very specifically address the NA market, which means they aren't that representative of the global situation.

Darryl

Banned
No handheld is ever going to beat the DS.

i don't believe it. i don't think the 3DS will beat it due to a rush in consumer interest for stuff like smartphones/tablets, but i think it's possible for their next iteration to do it. gotta wait for the $99 smartphone / $99 tablet to become common for consumer technology budgets to open up again, that'll probably be here by the end of the 3DS lifespan.

the market comeback of the handheld gaming device seems inevitable to me, and when it does it'll probably be even bigger

Top Bottom