• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter: "The handheld market sucks", "PS Vita is a joke" and more.

The latest Pach-Attack! is fully loaded with controversial commentaries regarding the handheld market. He basically talks about why Microsoft hasn't made a handheld gaming system, what he thinks about the PS Vita and more.

Here are some quotes from the episode.

On why Microsoft isn't in the handheld market said:
The reason is that the handheld market sucks, and to the extend there is a handheld market and Nintendo owns it.

About PS Vita said:
The Vita is a joke. It's a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful piece of hardware and nobody owns one. The reason nobody owns one is It's too good, It does too much. Developers aren't making games for it because the market is to small.

More about Vita said:
You're not going to get a big install base with the Vita at this price, and even though It's a really slick device, if there is not a lot of people who own it, you're not going to get a lot of sotfware. And It's a vicious cycle, if you don't have software, you're not going to buy the Vita. If you don't have Vitas, you're not going to get software. So, the Vita sucks, Sony has no prayer of making money on the Vita.

About the handheld market said:
The handheld market is not as big as It used to be. With the 3DS I think Nintendo is probably going to continue to do ok, 15 million a year, that's a nice market for handhelds. With the Vita on the market, they (Sony) are going to make 5 million a year, why do we need a third (handheld)? All that would happend is that demand of 20 million handhelds will get split three ways instead of two. Nobody makes money selling five millions units a year.

More about Microsoft said:
Microsoft is not in the games businnes to sell games, that isn't why they started this. Go back to 2001, Consumer Electronic Show, Bill Gates keynote... Billgates unveiled the Xbox and he said: "This box is going to be the entertainment hub in the living room". Now, Microsoft lost It's way early on because they had a bunch of guys working on the box who were former developers, you know all of them... those guys were gamers all the way and chased games, and they made the Xbox in to a hardcore game box.

Last quote about Microsoft said:
Then Don Mattrick got there and John Shappert got there. Shappert is a game guy too, but Mattrick went back to the roots and they turned the Xbox into this multimedia device.

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/gk1uwi/pach-attack---the-handheld-market-sucks---he-says-

antitrop

I absolutely agree that the Vita does too much.
Cut functionality, cut price, make games for it.

And those fucking memory cards are criminal.

Starting work this past week and I can't seem to have any use of a portable system in my life.

Sure I can play 3ds on the train in the morning, but i rather be napping. :/

solarus

The Vita is a joke. It's a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful piece of hardware and nobody owns one. The reason nobody owns one is It's too good, It does too much. Developers aren't making games for it because the market is to small.
Wat
sgW0RFU.jpg

EDIT:
Yes I know what he actually means, it's funny to take those words out of context however

Hi Michael!!!!

PlayStation’s Director of Product Planning and Platform Software Innovation Don Mesa revealed that more than 100 titles will come to PlayStation Vita in 2013 alone.

antitrop

He means that it has so much functionality and expensive technology that they priced it out of the average gamer's range.

Essentially what he's saying, or my interpretation of it, is that it should just be a game-focused device and extraneous functionality should have been cut to save on cost.

solarus

He means that it has so much functionality and expensive technology that they priced it out of the average gamer's range.

Essentially what he's saying, or my interpretation of it, is that it should just be a game-focused device and extraneous functionality should have been cut to save on cost.

Oh I know exactly what he meant, he should have worded that better though. Thought it would be funny to take it out of context.

Darryl

Banned

well, that's one way of saying it. sony took a gamble with the vita on the iphone approach to create a new high-end luxury market for themselves and have it slowly bleed into the low-end, taking it over. they failed. saying that nobody owns one because it's too good is simplifying the situation.

Five million a year for Vita? It won't have even sold that much this FY per Sony's numbers, and that's with the launch shipments from FY2011 included.

Boss Man

I honestly just don't think Vita has much of a place. I mean, their main target was 20-something year old PS3 owners. Problem is, those people are not likely to be carrying portable consoles around with them in public.

Vita's best bet is as a supplement to PS4, then toss some unique, and handheld games on there and people will start picking them up. Gain interest as the PS4's 'GamePad' and reel them in with unique exclusives.

One time I don't think anyone will argue with him. The handheld market is non-existent outside of Japan.

But the Vita is not doing any better in Japan (though the price drop has improved its fortunes a bit, but it remains to be seen whether it's a long term effect).

I don't think the vita does to much. I just think some people don't game that much, however they should. Only gamers will most likely buy it. However it's a great system just like the PSP is. If you saw someone playing it, you'd probably watch them because it'd look so immersive.

But what extraneous non-gaming related fucntionality do you think is adding to the cost? It's not like there's a Blu-ray drive in there or anything.

King Boo

everything he said, i saw someone else say it on neogaf. anyone can do this guy's job. hell i can do it. just come here, copy and paste some of my fellow gaffers posts, and take all the credit, and all the hatred this guy gets.

sono

Rightly or wrongly Sony have typically stated and had their products feature rich and higher price., ie quality/feature end of the market.

However to recap

"The Vita is too good"

"240fps"

Do you get paid for this ?

Actually you sir are the only joke at this point.

By the way doesnt Mr Patcher have a user on NeoGAF in which case is there any reason whatsoever we have others post his opinions ?

Top Bottom