• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter thinks NX will release in 2017, won't be very good.

Hoje0308

Banned
“I’ve no idea what that thing is going to be,” Pachter said, when we asked him about the NX. “I don’t think it’s coming out this year- Nintendo’s practice has been to show things a year, year and a half before they come out, so… I think they’ll show it at this E3, and I think it’ll come out next year. It might not come out in November, it might come out in March…

“You know, it’s sounding an awful lot like it’s a handheld and console hybrid, where you have a handheld and you do some stuff on it, and the console will be like an Apple TV or something, and you can pull games down from that,” he said. “I’m not really sure. I would say based on Nintendo’s recent history, it is not going to be very good. I know they are pretty excited about it, but I would say it’s a backward looking technology, that is just not an improvement over everything else that we’ve got an option to do, and it will completely miss the point of games getting away from consoles.

“We’ll see,” he said. “But I think Nintendo is desperately clinging on to an old business model that is passing them by.”

Linkle

Please keep the "Most successful console ever, confirmed" comments to yourself.

Kathian

Banned
He's basically just commenting on the rumours form last year. Increasingly looking like it'll be a console with a handheld tie in down the line.

But honestly no one knows.

I got rid of my Wii U about a year ago now? I'm with Pachter though... calling another bomb. I honestly just think they are too fucking late and they blew it. I don't think they will get third party on board.

Kouriozan

He's right, Nintendo will make something different again and won't be super powerful.
But releasing it in 2017 would be disastrous for their profits.

Bizzquik

I don't need a portable console; my smart phone is enough.

I wish Nintendo would spend that allocated money on better interior console tech rather than trying to save its portable presence.

Well a lot of people were saying just last year that there's no way that the NX would be coming out in 2016. Pachter will likely not be the only person who is wrong here.

That being said, we have no idea how it will be. One things for sure is that Nintendo fans will most definitely buy it. If anything, at least out of support. I hope its good too, for Nintendo's sake.

Best wishes.

luffeN

No comment from you OP? What do you think?

My bet is that one of the form factors will launch in 2016. Pachter's thoughts read like something we speculated about half a year ago.

legacyzero

Banned
That's kinda my fear. Unless it can court and win 3rd parties, grow up in the online space, be as powerful as current consoles, have BC and a unified account system and cross-buy, It might just be a dud for me.

It will be good if you like Nintendo franchises. This shit is so subjective. If you crave ultra specs it's probably not the console for you, though it would be cool to see Nintendo reign supreme with it.

Faustek

Man I love it when Pacther is wrong.

Edit: well only for the release date. I want that hybrid thing as I'm fairly sure Sony will never release a handheld again.

Ganondolf

we know the home or handheld is coming out this year as Foxconn has production to start this year (I think around august).

Neoxon

I wish Nintendo would spend that allocated money on better interior console tech rather than trying to save its portable presence.
Then just get the NX Console. Even before, Nintendo's handhelds have sold better than their home consoles. And while Nintendo can no longer support two separate platforms, the handheld space has been Nintendo's bread-&-butter. The shared platform route is honestly the best course of action, & the route that Nintendo is rumored to take. Had the 3DS not been salvaged in sales, it'd be a different story.

Sheroking

Pachter doesn't inspire any real conversation, provide any tangible insight or have any real inside information.

He's worthless. These threads are always just a mix of defensive posts about how he's always wrong and people pointing out the defensive posts.

y3PWaHz.gif

What is up with people saying they think it's a console handheld hybrid. We know exactly what it is, a console and a handheld, that can play the same games like the different iterations of tablet devices and such.

Also first post.

MoonFrog

Well, we'll see. It'd be non-ideal to release post-2016 holiday season and everything sounds like 2016 holiday season, but we'll see. I hope if Nintendo skips the end of this year they have a damn good reason to. Like a Wii-like reason.

Top Bottom