• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pacific Rim Uprising - Trailer 1

And to the others talking Voltron, literally thought that was what the trailer was building to, but I guess you gotta save something for the movie.

First one gave us BOAT BAT in the trailer, though!

kswiston

I think it's the brightly lit daytime urban fighting. You see everything.

Even taking that into consideration, it looks cheaper. Which makes sense. The first was too expensive, and that was factoring in SFX work by ILM which I believe was done at a discount.

This film has a $150M budget. Down $40M from Pacific Rim. Given that neither film was paying bank for their cast, that drop had to come from somewhere.

ED Cantu

So we are getting Jaeger vs. Jaeger action this time, and from the trailer it seem like it'll be Gipsy Avenger against this one:

wdprYiQ.jpg

Obsidian Fury

v1lla21

looks like a mess... I'm in!
I hope Boyega narrates an audio book or something because I could listen to him talk all day.

I think I got the whole movie in this trailer =(

1. Jeager gens
Gen 1's were pentcosts radiation leaking jeagers
Gen 2's were the nuclear Jeagers like gypsy danger
gen 3's were teh Euerka avengers

This movies cast uses Gen 4's a mixture of 2 and 3.

Gen 5's (enemy jeagers) are single pilot with an artificial brain

2. Charlie from its sunny has been hard at work making gen 5's with the knowledge he and his buddy gleamed when drifting with the kaiju brain.
- this worked both ways, now the xenos know how to make human tech and have been integrating it in with the new series of kaijus.

- charlie cloned the lower jeager brain and uses it in the new gen 5 jeagers, however when the rift opens in space the xenos and lower brain override the pilots of the gen 5's and they become hostile jeagers.

- the xenos do have some jeagers they made modeled after Gipsy danger

3. New cast is going to get curb stomped and mako and the white guy from the first movie are going to probably die saving everyone.

TDLink

Everyone harping on the CG:

I want to remind people, CG in all films gets better from first trailer to final release. This was true for the original Pacific Rim as well.

Yes, the night time and rain of the first hid the flaws better, but it's kind of foolish to compare that finished film to one still 6 months+ out. It's not abnormal for them to be working on effects right up to the premiere.

TalonJH

I think I'm going to watch the first one again tonight. This looks great.

that's a lot of jeagers in the final shot, hopefully all of them get more than 5 minutes of action before getting trashed.

I get the impression that this is more of a team film so we may get more jeager team fights.

Four gigantic mechas parked at their stations...... Sold, fucking sold!

Err.... except that one bit that looked like some China audience pandering....... Nope. Giant robots! Giant robots!

love how brighter and sunlit the photography looks, like you can see everything that they do

I dig it. I just hope the supporting Jaegers actually get some decent screentime as well.

So we are getting Jaeger vs. Jaeger action this time, and from the trailer it seem like it'll be Gipsy Avenger against this one:

wdprYiQ.jpg

Obsidian Fury
Oh boy. I can't wait to get the NECA figures for Gipsy Avenger and Obsidian Fury.

I was only able to get the wave 1 Gipsy Danger last time.

Vic_Viper

Man if I was Scott Eastwood, I would be pissed after that trailer lol. Almost every scene with him in the cockpit hes cut off lol. Seems like they are really pushing the turncoat Stormtrooper as the main character and dont want Eastwood getting any of the attention.

Man if I was Scott Eastwood, I would be pissed after that trailer lol. Almost every scene with him in the cockpit hes cut off lol. Seems like they are really pushing the turncoat Stormtrooper as the main character and dont want Eastwood getting any of the attention.

Well John Boyega is the main character, so.....

OldRoutes

I'm pretty sure
Eastwood might end up dying

Bendeavor

Neo Member
I was really hoping the two annoying scientists wouldn't be in this, but other than that it looks pretty good. John Boyega really channels Idris Elba.

Oh boy. I can't wait to get the NECA figures for Gipsy Avenger and Obsidian Fury.

I was only able to get the wave 1 Gipsy Danger last time.

NECA will not be doing PR2 toys

Word is NECA has a bad habit of worming out of payments to film companies and burning bridges

TDLink

Boyega is not only the main character, he's also an EP and pretty much the only reason this moving is happening. Him being "pushed as the main character" makes sense since he's the one pushing himself.

killroy87

Well John Boyega is the main character, so.....

And Scott Eastwood is a black hole of charisma. He actively makes people around him more boring just by his sheer presence. It's kind of impressive.

Boyega is the lead though, and his production company helped finance some of this I believe. Scott Eastwood should feel lucky to even be involved.

Top Bottom