• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pacific Rim: Uprising Trailer #2

Soltype

tumblr_inline_nhq1j8yEkH1rnjag5.gif

Looks bad, the first wasn't amazing, but holy cow.

Shouta

It looks pretty cheesy. Not sure what to think but I'll see it anyway because I'm a mark for giant robots.

Looks like there wasn’t much of a budget this time. Still excited for some good kaiju fun, hoped it was gonna be brighter than last time didn’t think the cgi would get this bright though 🤣

dc3k

looks like it's transformers that don't transform vs a monster thing

gonna see it just cause charlie is in it

Kadayi

Banned
Profound indifference based off of that tbh. I'd expected more differential in the suit designs, those looked a tad samey.

llien

I was so cringed by the "two scientists" in the first one, that not sure I'll even bother checking the follow up.

Music, coupled with 2 pilots controlling the robot together was quite enjoyable though.

Razorback

This is what these movies should be about: HOLY SHIT GIANT ROBOTS!

The first movie got that part right. The CGI in this lacks weight. Show some restraint. I know anything is possible with CGI so you're not impressing anyone with backflipping 2k ton robots. Make it feel real and then I'll buy a ticket.

Typhares

I'm a big fan of the first Pacific Rim movie but based on this trailer I feel the sequel is too different in tone. I'll give it a chance but I'm not hyped.

VAL0R

Banned
The Jaegers feel less like the first films' colossal mechanical skyscrappers of death and more Go! Go! Power Rangers! Looks fun but dumb.

VAL0R

Banned
I was so cringed by the "two scientists" in the first one, that not sure I'll even bother checking the follow up.

Music, coupled with 2 pilots controlling the robot together was quite enjoyable though.

The scientists were way too over the top and brought the first one down a peg or two, agreed.

black_13

Banned
First one was so good but as others said this is looking not as good. Wish Del Toro would've come back for the sequel.

Jaeger's fighting jaeger's in the trailer made me wish for a g-gundam inspired movie. Final jaeger could be a hybrid of a kaiju and a jaeger.

it's a movie with giant robots and monsters. I don't care how dumb it looks, I'm still gonna be there for sure. really enjoyed the first one despite it's flaws.

watching the trailer it give me the impression there'll be more robots and less monsters. not sure if it'll be better or worse but I guess we'll find out. I would rather they go with more variety in monsters with special attacks and all, but I guess the combining to make a super giant monster thing is pretty cool too.

Last edited:

Mahadev

I was just about to say that it feels like Power Rangers for unknown reasons but this makes an excellent case explaining why that is. This is the difference between a mediocre and a great director even in CGI. It makes me appreciate Del Toro even more.

Last edited:

sunnz

To me its lost 1 important aspect from the first one that made it so good, weight.
First also had that "shit those monsters are gonna wreck them" but here i just have that " meh, gonna be overall easy for the jaeger" feel to it.
Looks ok overall, big drop from the first one though.

Last edited:

RainblowDash

Gold Member
So they're fighting not just more giant monsters, but enemy robots now? Hmm

Still looks pretty cool though.

Last edited:

Alx

Yes I watched it yesterday. Definitely not as good as the first one, the first half of the movie is unimaginative both on plot and action, but the final is good. As soon as you start hearing the old theme (which they butchered), things get entertaining.
The tone of the movie is different, more tongue in cheek, the robots feel more anime than slow gigantic machines, but there is still silly fun to have.

wondermega

Yes I watched it yesterday. Definitely not as good as the first one, the first half of the movie is unimaginative both on plot and action, but the final is good. As soon as you start hearing the old theme (which they butchered), things get entertaining.
The tone of the movie is different, more tongue in cheek, the robots feel more anime than slow gigantic machines, but there is still silly fun to have.
It sounds disappointing. The first one was hardly a great film, but it was rather fun to watch and seemed like it could be a set up for a stronger follow up. It sounds like they decided to go with crappy Bayformers formula instead. Still waiting on more feedback, but I may have to pass..

Makariel

When you say "feels more like anime" that doesn't tell me much, considering the original Pacific Rim was heavily influenced by anime as well. Anime mecha cover a lot of different series. Gundam 8th MS team for example:

...is quite different from Gurren Lagann...

And ther's a lot of shades in between them ;) but I guess what you mean with "more like anime" is closer to the over the top flashy style and not one where you "feel" the weight of these machines, since they move like humans in mo-cap suits rather than walking high rise buildings?

Last edited:

Alx

Yeah I'm using the most common references of anime over here, like Grendizer or maybe even Evangelion. Not that the robots are as agile, but they're going in that direction from the original Pacific Rim. (*e - the gundam style above seems quite close to the style of the movie, too).
Some of it is done well actually, I really like the short part where
Vic "transfers" to the robot belt and starts shooting cannons, then have her cabin and cannons move to the back and shoot again.
That's definitely Grendizer style. ^^
One can notice that not all robots have the same agility and human-like animation. There is one that is especially fast like in Transformers, others that are slower (especially those that aren't in the spotlight). The camera angles definitely change a lot of the effect from the first PR. Also most of the robots can run now, which makes the control interface look sillier when the pilots look like they're at the gym.

Last edited:

MC Safety

So, it's even in Germany theaters already.
Any feedback, Gaf?

I saw it yesterday.

It's pretty dumb, and there's not much to recommend it. John Boyega is entertaining, but there's an annoying child/teen in the movie, and I spent most of the time wishing she'd get eaten by monsters. It's a lot of setup, too, to get to an uninspired payoff, although there is a nice little plot twist allowing the monsters to visit Earth.

In short, two hours of your life, and you can probably spend them doing better things.

I LOVED first chapter as much as I hate this sequel .. they basically ruined everything *

noticeable exception for visual effects of course

I liked it more than the first one. The story was weird but I really liked where it went. I remember del Toro was talking about this specific thing years ago. I guess I didn't expect it to be so strange.

manfestival

For me it felt very evangelion. Also the sense of peril the first movie gives is far better. Interactions with characters was far more predictable this time around too. Felt like the heart of the movie changed and you are just left with a more explored universe that feels more fan service that forgot its roots. With that said, I still enjoyed the movie. It just missed those super amazing moments that made me giddy in my seat like the first movie. I loved the first and liked the second

Shouta

For me it felt very evangelion. Also the sense of peril the first movie gives is far better. Interactions with characters was far more predictable this time around too. Felt like the heart of the movie changed and you are just left with a more explored universe that feels more fan service that forgot its roots. With that said, I still enjoyed the movie. It just missed those super amazing moments that made me giddy in my seat like the first movie. I loved the first and liked the second

The plot of the film was lifted from the Evangelion movie, without all of the crazy stuff and the like, which is probably why it felt like it, lol.

Top Bottom