• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 06, 2009

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
giuliu should check out this thread...oh wait.

GCX said:
Sony still has New Zealand. They will never surrender!
A Photoshop of the Risk board would be appropriate right about now.

dabra

2ziy2o3.png

Italy:
Week 05, 2009

01 (01) [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo)
02 (03) [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo)
03 (02) [PS2] PES 2009 (Konami)
04 (04) [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)
05 (05) [PS3] PES 2009 (Konami)
06 (06) [NDS] Brain Training (Nintendo)
07 (11) [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
08 (09) [PS2] FIFA 09 (Electronic Arts)
09 (07) [PS3] Need For Speed Undercover (Electronic Arts)
10 (__) [PS2] Tomb Rider Underworld (Eidos)
11 (__) [NDS] Cooking Mama 2 (505 Games )
12 (__) [NDS] More Brain Training (Nintendo)
13 (08) [PS3] Call Of Duty: World At War (Activision Blizzard)
14 (15) [PS2] GTA San Andreas Platinum (Take 2)
15 (10) [PS3] FIFA 09 (Electronic Arts)

Rolf NB

bttb said:
UK Charts: January 2009

All Formats Top 50
This format completely sucks. I'll type it out, so it can suck slightly less.

Code:
[b]ALL FORMATS TOP 50: January[/b]

1. [b]Call of Duty: World at War[/b]               | 360/PS3/Wii/PS2/PC/DS | Activision Blizzard
 2. [b]FIFA 09[/b]                                  | 360/PS3/PSP/Wii/PS2/DS/PC | Electronic Arts
 3. [b]Need For Speed: Undercover[/b]               | 360/PS3/PSP/PS2/Wii/DS/PC | Electronic Arts
 4. [b]Wii Fit[/b]                                  | Wii | Nintendo
 5. [b]Guitar Hero: World Tour[/b]                  | Wii/360/PS3/PS2 | Activision Blizzard
 6. [b]Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games[/b]       | Wii | Sega
 7. [b]Mario Kart Wii[/b]                           | Wii | Nintendo
 8. [b]Far Cry 2[/b]                                | 360/PS3/PC | Ubisoft
 9. [b]Dr Kawashima's Brain Training[/b]            | DS | Nintendo
10. [b]Quantum of Solace[/b]                        | 360/PS3/Wii/PC | Activision Blizzard
11. [b]Gears of War 2[/b]                           | 360 | Microsoft
12. [b]Fallout 3[/b]                                | PS3/360/PC | Bethesda
13. [b]Tomb Raider: Underworld[/b]                  | 360/PS3/Wii/PS2/DS/PC | Eidos
14. [b]LEGO Batman: The Videogame[/b]               | Wii/DS/360/PS3/PS2/PSP/PC | Warner Bros.
15. [b]Sonic Unleashed[/b]                          | Wii/360/PS3 | Sega
16. [b]Pro Evolution Soccer 2009[/b]                | 360/PS3/PS2/PSP/PC | Konami
17. [b]Prince of Persia[/b]                         | 360/PS3/PC | Ubisoft
18. [b]The Lord of the Rings: Conquest[/b]          | 360/PS3/PC/DS | Electronic Arts
19. [b]Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare[/b]           | 360/PS3/PC/Mac | Activision Blizzard
20. [b]Shaun White Snowboarding[/b]                 | Wii/360/PS3/PSP/DS/PC | Ubisoft
21. [b]Grand Theft Auto IV[/b]                      | PS3/360/PC | Rockstar Games
22. [b]Football Manager 2009[/b]                    | PC/PSP | Sega
23. [b]LittleBigPlanet[/b]                          | PS3 | Sony
24. [b]100 Classic Book Collection[/b]              | DS | Nintendo
25. [b]Rayman Raving Rabbids TV Party[/b]           | Wii/DS | Ubisoft
26. [b]More Brain Training From Dr Kawashima[/b]    | DS | Nintendo
27. [b]New Super Mario Bros.[/b]                    | DS | Nintendo
28. [b]WWE Smackdown VS Raw 2009[/b]                | PS3/360/Wii/PS2/PSP | THQ
29. [b]Mario Kart DS[/b]                            | DS | Nintendo
30. [b]Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09[/b]                  | Wii/PS2/360/PSP/PS2 | Electronic Arts
31. [b]Midnight Club: Los Angeles[/b]               | 360/PS3 | Rockstar Games
32. [b]Saints Row 2[/b]                             | 360/PS3 | THQ
33. [b]Left 4 Dead[/b]                              | 360/PC | Electronic Arts
34. [b]Star Wars: The Force Unleashed[/b]           | Wii/360/PS3/DS/PSP/PS2 | LucasArts
35. [b]Animal Crossing: Let's Go To The City[/b]    | Wii | Nintendo
36. [b]Resistance 2[/b]                             | PS3 | Sony
37. [b]Skate 2[/b]                                  | 360/PS3 | Electronic Arts
38. [b]Fable II[/b]                                 | 360 | Microsoft
39. [b]MySims Kingdom[/b]                           | DS/Wii | Electronic Arts
40. [b]42 All-Time Classics[/b]                     | DS | Nintendo
41. [b]Nintendogs: Lab & Friends[/b]                | DS | Nintendo
42. [b]Tom Clancy's EndWar[/b]                      | 360/PS3/PSP/DS | Ubisoft
43. [b]Imagine: Teacher[/b]                         | DS | Ubisoft
44. [b]Big Brain Academy[/b]                        | DS | Nintendo
45. [b]Mortal Kombat VS DC Universe[/b]             | 360/PS3 | Midway
46. [b]Professor Layton and the Curious Village[/b] | DS | Nintendo
47. [b]Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3[/b]         | PC/360 | Electronic Arts
48. [b]Dead Space[/b]                               | 360/PS3/PC | Electronic Arts
49. [b]Wii Music[/b]                                | Wii | Nintendo
50. [b]Lips[/b]                                     | 360 | Microsoft

I wonder if there's any significance to the (inconsistent) ordering of platforms. I'm half willing to assume that they are ordered descending by sales, but it'd be safer to have some sort of confirmation from a Chart Track source.

nli10

BikoBiko said:
Could it be that they'll use Walk with Me as a DSi launch title? (maybe in combination with Rhythm Paradise or Pokemon Platinum) because I don't think they have any other significant releases to coincide with the launch.

Poke Plau it May 22nd over here I think (recent anouncement) and that is a little later than Easter.

Walk... is the only non DSi game to behave like a DSi in terms of Miis and Wii interaction so I expected it before, but maybe they will cross advertise.

Personally I expect DSi for the summer.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
bcn-ron said:
Code:
[b]ALL FORMATS TOP 50: January[/b]
[B]
 1. [b]Call of Duty: World at War[/b]               | 360/PS3/Wii/PS2/PC/DS | Activision Blizzard
 2. [b]FIFA 09[/b]                                  | 360/PS3/PSP/Wii/PS2/DS/PC | Electronic Arts
 3. [b]Need For Speed: Undercover[/b]               | 360/PS3/PSP/PS2/Wii/DS/PC | Electronic
12. [b]Fallout 3[/b]                                | PS3/360/PC | Bethesda[/B]

I wonder if there's any significance to the (inconsistent) ordering of platforms. I'm half willing to assume that they are ordered descending by sales, but it'd be safer to have some sort of confirmation from a Chart Track source.[/QUOTE]

I think it's just the way the game publisher's orders the platforms for Pegi/PR entries or whatever.
Just look at the titles above, there's no chance Fifa/NfS:U on PSP sold more than on PS2 or that Fallout Ps3 has done better than X360's sku.
But I don't have the time to check Jan. individual weeks to check about that, otherwise it'd be pretty simple to debunk or confirm that what you're guessing is indeed true.

dyls

Dash Kappei said:
I think it's just the way the game publisher's orders the platforms for Pegi/PR entries or whatever.
Just look at the titles above, there's no chance Fifa/NfS:U on PSP sold more than on PS2 or that Fallout Ps3 has done better than X360's sku.
But I don't have the time to check Jan. individual weeks to check about that, otherwise it'd be pretty simple to debunk or confirm that what you're guessing is indeed true.

I'd say they're almost definitely in order of sales. If you look at the multiplatform games that have a Wii version, the Wii is in front on the games you would expect: Shaun White, Lego Batman, Sonic, etc. and behind in things like COD and Fifa.

I also think the order is just for January, so Fallout 360 is probably above the PS3 version overall, just not last month.

If it is true, it really shows just that third-party multiplatform games that appear on the Wii are generally doing pretty damn well, and across a wide variety of genres. And whenever one of the HD system's version outsells the Wii version, the other HD version does as well. The games which have a Wii, PS3 and 360 version:

Code:
ALL FORMATS TOP 50: January

1. Call of Duty: World at War               | 360/PS3/Wii/PS2/PC/DS | Activision Blizzard
 2. FIFA 09                                  | 360/PS3/PSP/Wii/PS2/DS/PC | Electronic Arts
 3. Need For Speed: Undercover               | 360/PS3/PSP/PS2/Wii/DS/PC | Electronic Arts
 5. Guitar Hero: World Tour                  | Wii/360/PS3/PS2 | Activision Blizzard
10. Quantum of Solace                        | 360/PS3/Wii/PC | Activision Blizzard
13. Tomb Raider: Underworld                  | 360/PS3/Wii/PS2/DS/PC | Eidos
14. LEGO Batman: The Videogame               | Wii/DS/360/PS3/PS2/PSP/PC | Warner Bros.
15. Sonic Unleashed                          | Wii/360/PS3 | Sega
20. Shaun White Snowboarding                 | Wii/360/PS3/PSP/DS/PC | Ubisoft
28. WWE Smackdown VS Raw 2009                | PS3/360/Wii/PS2/PSP | THQ
30. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09                  | Wii/PS2/360/PSP/PS2 | Electronic Arts
34. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed           | Wii/360/PS3/DS/PSP/PS2 | LucasArts

DMeisterJ

Banned
I think the ordering of consoles is by sales. Didn't Shaun White Wii do better than the HDs, and didn't Sonic Unleashed Wii do the best, and isn't GH: Wii doing the best too? I remember seeing this in the PAL charts threads before. PS2 is dying in software sales too, Sony's own numbers have it down sixty percent year over year, that could push PSP ahead of it. And it makes since for SVR to be the best on the PS3 since it started on the PS.

nli10

dyls said:
I'd say they're almost definitely in order of sales. If you look at the multiplatform games that have a Wii version, the Wii is in front on the games you would expect: Shaun White, Lego Batman, Sonic, etc. and behind in things like COD and Fifa.

I also think the order is just for January, so Fallout 360 is probably above the PS3 version overall, just not last month.

That's my understanding too. Ordinal for the month of the sales sample.

Raist

Banned
LBP keeps selling in the UK but fell off the radar in other EU countries a looong time ago.
I wonder why.

spwolf

Raist said:
LBP keeps selling in the UK but fell off the radar in other EU countries a looong time ago.
I wonder why.

because we have only top 10 charts in those countries, and because they have packin bundles with lbp which are not counted...

If it was only top 10 in UK, both LBP and R2 would not be on charts for long time, despite selling over 300k/200k...

Parl

doicare said:
I think you read too much into my comment. I was just responding to somebody elses joke, and then continued to give my take on this year's sales situation.

There is a massive correlation between lack of new software on HD Twins and Wii scoring high on the weighted charts. There's also a moderate correlation between summer holidays and lack of new software on PS3 and 360.

You didn't prove a single thing last time, and I didn't respond primarily because I would have had to have repeated myself and I thought I'd respond at a later date, and then later, because I didn't see the point.

So what holiday is this again?

Bananakin said:
Thanks. And I have to say, that is fairly convincing.
It is convincing if you actually believe the dates he uses for "school holidays". They seem to change every time.

doicare said:
Then finally from weeks 24-42 (i would go further but that's where the charts data ends) there were 6-8 weeks of school holidays and 11 weeks on non holidays. Average non holiday sales were 114,800 whilst average holiday sales were 120,100.
Oh wow a whole 6000 units difference. Those damn kids. I really thought you were just trolling at the start, but at this point I don't even know what to call it anymore. It's pretty damn sad.

Raist

Banned
Why hello thar.

So, basically I was bored, so I looked up some stuff with weighted charts for 2 PS3 games, LBP and GT5P.

I think this is interesting, and puts the weighted charts, as well as regular rank, in perspective. If anything, it shows that one game's rank does not mean anything regardinh its sales.

Here we go.

289lxh.png

The actual rough numbers come from the ELSPA sales awards.
Basically, it took a slightly shorter time lapse for LBP to go from >200k to >300k, with roughly the same weighted ranks than GT5P. So this could mean that two different games sold roughly the same when they have equivalent weighted charts.

However, even if GT5P reached the gold award faster than LBP, the latter achieved this with a much lower weighted rank (~27 vs 69)

Morality: the ranks, even weighted, do not mean anything regarding the actual sales.

Also, LBP did not bomb at all, eat that haters :D

Chumly

Raist said:
interesting analysis
Unfortunately it doesnt make any sense at all because LBP and GT5P were released in different time frames of the year. Of course even though LBP has "lower" weighted rankings its going to have more sales. Thats because EVERYTHING has more sales during the holiday season. I suggest comparing titles that came out in similar time frame.

Raist

Banned
Chumly said:
Unfortunately it doesnt make any sense at all because LBP and GT5P were released in different time frames of the year. Of course even though LBP has "lower" weighted rankings its going to have more sales. Thats because EVERYTHING has more sales during the holiday season. I suggest comparing titles that came out in similar time frame.

Of course this is probably one of the reasons. I'm just saying here that just looking at the ranks (even weighted) does not mean that it gives a good idea of the actual sales at all.

Xyphie

So Swedish 2008 results were posted last week, didn't see them in this week's or last week's thread. Over 3 billion SEK revenue (280 million euro). I'll just steal the slides from the PDF.

FhpvfsaYd.jpg

antal = games sold
omsättning = revenue (SEK)
övriga = other platforms

dOeuZnBEM.jpg

lOcxUSBPg.jpg

Parl

BishopLamont said:
It is convincing if you actually believe the dates he uses for "school holidays". They seem to change every time.
I don't think it's "convincing" in the slightest. It's good practice to not be persuaded by statistics without context. The relevant context being all other things that we know affect hardware sales - shortages, new big software, new big software on competing platforms, price drops for a system, increased/better advertising, big new shipments of a big game (like Wii Fit), seasonal variations, a general increase/decrease in hardware sales momentum (increasing or decreasing good WOM).

The Wii was growing throughout a lot of the year, with a Wii Fit/Mario Kart related spike in the middle of it. If a platform is on an upwards trend, of course the average hardware sales before the holiday are going to be lower, and it's also shows that the average hardware sales in the period after the first holiday are higher, so with the displayed logic, Wii got a boost by entering a non-holiday period - of course this isn't true, just as how if Wii was helped in the holiday weeks, it's not showed by the data.

Even if the data was consistent with some minor correlation with holiday/non-holiday periods (which it loosely is, but we already know the reason why, which most, including doicare has agreed on - software), then that wouldn't be proof. Another relevant point to consider is that Wii suffered a shortage in the opening couple of weeks of 2008, which lowered your average.

The data is too sporadic, has too many inconsistences with such a theory to be provable. The first week back from the first holiday has higher sales for Wii than the first week of the first holiday.

The general outline for Wii last year was, increases in momentum, followed by big Wii Fit/Mario Kart related increases, followed by the typical decreases after the software bump, levelling off in a moderately consistent level of sales, higher than that before the bump (Wii Fit and Mario Kart legs / in tandem with Wii's general momentum increases), then the rest of the year.

That's the general. I see no unexplainable increases at the holiday that buck the trend, followed by a decrease at the end of said holiday, that continued the trend.

What I'm explaining is not that the theory relating to holidays is incorrect, but that it's unprovable because it's at best a minor contributor, and with such variations in weekly data, and all of many the factors which affect sales at different periods, it's not a testable theory. I don't think it's possible to prove this theory, especially as its effect is minor at best, which is why I'm not impressed by the low standards that have been given to make the claim that such a theory has been proven.

I'd imagine that if it is indeed a reality that school holidays make a minor contribution to Nintendo platform's hardware sales in UK/Europe, then the same would apply in other regions. Maybe looking at data from other regions would help in testing the theory, but the statistics must come with context, otherwise statistics are incredibly misleading.

That last graph Xyphie posted is number of game copies sold. Also a note about that playstation 1 sales were included in playstation 2 sales 2003 and 2004.

The second one is the spread of volume but thats probably not hard to understand.

I don't understand the first one unless there is a mistake putting 2007 on both sides in the table. I think it should be 2008 on the left and LTD on the right.

doicare

Parl said:
I think you read too much into my comment. I was just responding to somebody elses joke, and then continued to give my take on this year's sales situation.

There is a massive correlation between lack of new software on HD Twins and Wii scoring high on the weighted charts. There's also a moderate correlation between summer holidays and lack of new software on PS3 and 360.

You didn't prove a single thing last time, and I didn't respond primarily because I would have had to have repeated myself and I thought I'd respond at a later date, and then later, because I didn't see the point.
The weighted charts are inconclusive, i have said this many times but yet you still go on about them like they are the be all and end all of my point, you can put the camparisions i made using them down to just coiencidence if you like but the fact is i proved my point using nintendo's own hardware numbers and no amount of spinning will ever change that.
BishopLamont said:
So what holiday is this again?

Except they don't change every time, if you want to come out with accusations like that then you're going to have to back them up, otherwise you're just a liar. The bottom line is originally over 6 months ago i used the timetable from a local high school to make my comparisions, then after some people pointed out 3 of the school holiday weeks were different to most of the rest of the country i used the updated school holiday dates posted in that thread and to this day i have always used those same dates.
BishopLamont said:
Oh wow a whole 6000 units difference. Those damn kids. I really thought you were just trolling at the start, but at this point I don't even know what to call it anymore. It's pretty damn sad.
Good job on selectively picking the holiday with the least boost in sales *rollseyes*. I guess you missed the first holiday boost of 14,000+ per week and the second holiday boost of 25,000+ per week. Also good job on failing to read the part that explains why the final holiday boost was 6,000, the sooner you stop trolling me and stop acting like a fanboy the better GAF will be.
Parl said:
You talk in such a general way about all these things and you're trying to paint a picture that says wii's weekly sales were growing all year which some how explains most things, and anything that can't be explained by this can be explained by a new game being released for the wii, this isn't the case at all. Apart from me proving weekly average holiday sales were higher then the equivalent non school holiday weekly sales, more specifically i also proved the vast majority of time, the exact week schools broke up for the holidays wii sales went up and the exact week the holidays finished wii sales went back down again. Just take the first school holiday as an example, week 6 before schools broke up the wii sold 92,000, the first week of the holidays (week 7) it sold 95,000, the second holiday week (week 8) it sold 109,000 and when the holidays had finished (week 9) it dropped down to sales of 103,000. And anytime the drops in sales after the holidays don't exactly match, they happen the following week instead. Just because there are other factors involved doesn't change the fact that kids being on school holidays is a factor.

spwolf

Raist said:
Of course this is probably one of the reasons. I'm just saying here that just looking at the ranks (even weighted) does not mean that it gives a good idea of the actual sales at all.

yes, because any statistcs without actual numbers is basically pulled from someone's ass. But hey, someone feels good about making them so awesome!

Forget GT5 and LBP... look at stuff like Haze, RC, fuck... look at R2.

Weisheit

It's amazing you continue to shit up these threads 7 months after your original assertion. Correlation does not imply causation. It's pretty clear from your posting history you thought Wii would fail and PS3 would win (even after both had been on the market for some months). This whole kids/holidays thing seems like your own personal bargaining...

Doicare said:
My opinion is the wii's sales are front loaded. It's front loaded because the wii is significantly cheaper at launch than the competition and the difference between wii's graphics and scale of gameplay compared to the ps3 and xbox360 is small right now. In 2 years time it won't be the exception that games will play and look as good as gears of war it will be the normal, when that happens the wii will get left behind.

Then on top of that the majority of the biggest franchises out their on consoles aren't on the wii such as:
Gran Turismo
Eye Toy
Metal Gear Solid
Final Fantasy
The Getaway
Halo
Gears of War
Grand Theft Auto
Pro Evolution Soccer
WWE Smackdown vs Raw
Kingdom Hearts
Devil May Cry
SOCOM
Sing Star
God of War
Fable
Forza
Onimusha
Tekken
Unreal Tournament

The vast majority of those franchises haven't come out yet this gen or haven't had a true next gen version released. As soon as that happens the difference between the xbox360/ps3 compared to the wii will be seen and the sales of the xbox360/ps3 will begin to pick up.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Bananakin said:
Thanks. And I have to say, that is fairly convincing.
That is convincing to you?
I only have the first section to judge from as I don't know where holidays are being assigned for the rest of the year but just using the data from weeks 2-6 vs 7-8 and applying a t-test (2 tail, unequal variance) there is a 26% chance that the two means are the same when you take into account variance. 5% or less is your basic cut-off for any reliability of significance.
If we take the 3 totals he gives us 88,105,115 and 102,130,120 these too are not statistically different, although that is not the way to do statistics as we are ignoring the variance within those averages. So if doicare provides us with the weeks he is designating for holidays and which for term time, we can perform the statistical analyses to determine if there is a true difference for both the entire year and for the individual segments. Then hopefully people can just use the "what holiday is it" meme without having to actually discuss it.

harSon

Banned
GTA4 back in the charts, would be interesting to see how many new units this expansion is responsible for selling.

obaidr

Banned
wow House of dead WII in the top ten.

Funny is it is the only "real" wii game in the charts besides the shovelware, Guitar Hero and the typical first party games in the top ten.

doicare

Weisheit said:
It's amazing you continue to shit up these threads 7 months after your original assertion. Correlation does not imply causation. It's pretty clear from your posting history you thought Wii would fail and PS3 would win (even after both had been on the market for some months). This whole kids/holidays thing seems like your own personal bargaining...
What is amazing is that it seems nobody around here is entitled to say anything that can be seen as negative in anyway towards the wii, which is a pretty sad state of affairs when somebody can't give an opinion. And at the same time it seems like everybody has a free pass to bash the 360 and ps3 (especially the ps3, go check out the latest npd thread). It was my opinion at the begining of the generation that the ps3 would eventually win, that was an opinion that was held by most, yet now 3 years later thanks to some laughable revisionist history anybody saying they thought the ps3 would win was a moron/fanboy. I originally spoke about school holidays effecting sales because as far as i was concerned it was just common sense and despite me bringing a sh*tton of evidence to backup what i have said some people still feel the need to bash and ridicule.

obaidr said:
wow House of dead WII in the top ten.

Funny is it is the only "real" wii game in the charts besides the shovelware, Guitar Hero and the typical first party games in the top ten.

i was actually surprised how low it was considering the amount of advertising its been getting but then again i suppose light gun games are a very very niche genre and thus just scraping the top ten is very respectable

full chart

LW TW Title Format Label Publisher
1 1 WII FIT WII NINTENDO NINTENDO
2 2 MYSTERY CASE FILES: MILLIONHEIR DS NINTENDO NINTENDO
4 3 MARIO KART WII WII NINTENDO NINTENDO
5 4 WII PLAY WII NINTENDO NINTENDO
11 5 MY FITNESS COACH WII GAMES FOR EVERYONE UBISOFT
3 6 PROFESSOR LAYTON AND THE CURIOUS VILLAGE DS NINTENDO NINTENDO
- 7 F.E.A.R 2: PROJECT ORIGIN XB360 WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE
13 8 LEFT 4 DEAD XB360 EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS
6 9 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR XB360 ACTIVISION ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
- 10 THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD: OVERKILL WII SEGA SEGA
7 11 DR KAWASHIMA'S BRAIN TRAINING DS NINTENDO NINTENDO
9 12 MARIO & SONIC AT THE OLYMPIC GAMES WII SEGA SEGA
- 13 F.E.A.R 2: PROJECT ORIGIN PS3 WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE
10 14 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR PS3 ACTIVISION ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
12 15 FIFA 09 XB360 EA SPORTS ELECTRONIC ARTS
17 16 MARIO KART DS DS NINTENDO NINTENDO
18 17 NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. DS NINTENDO NINTENDO
22 18 MORE BRAIN TRAINING FROM DR KAWASHIMA DS NINTENDO NINTENDO
- 19 PUZZLER COLLECTION DS GAMES FOR EVERYONE UBISOFT
15 20 LITTLEBIGPLANET PS3 SONY COMPUTER ENT. SONY COMPUTER ENT.
20 21 CARNIVAL: FUNFAIR GAMES WII 2KPLAY TAKE 2
14 22 FIFA 09 PS3 EA SPORTS ELECTRONIC ARTS
- 23 GRAND THEFT AUTO IV XB360 ROCKSTAR TAKE 2
21 24 BIG BEACH SPORTS WII PLAY THQ THQ
16 25 FOOTBALL MANAGER 2009 PC SEGA SEGA
- 26 HALO 3 XB360 MICROSOFT MICROSOFT
19 27 RESISTANCE 2 PS3 SONY COMPUTER ENT. SONY COMPUTER ENT.
- 28 F.E.A.R 2: PROJECT ORIGIN PC WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE
8 29 SKATE 2 XB360 EA SPORTS ELECTRONIC ARTS
24 30 BIG BRAIN ACADEMY: WII DEGREE WII NINTENDO NINTENDO
27 31 SPORTS ISLAND WII HUDSON KONAMI
37 32 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK WII REDOCTANE ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
31 33 CARNIVAL: FUNFAIR GAMES DS 2KPLAY TAKE 2
- 34 MARIO & SONIC AT THE OLYMPIC GAMES DS SEGA SEGA
34 35 GUITAR HERO: WORLD TOUR WII REDOCTANE ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
- 36 100 CLASSIC BOOK COLLECTION DS NINTENDO NINTENDO
- 37 WINTER SPORTS 2008: ULTIMATE CHALLENGE WII RTL ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
26 38 GEARS OF WAR 2 XB360 MICROSOFT MICROSOFT
- 39 CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE PS3 ACTIVISION ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
40 40 GUITAR HERO: WORLD TOUR XB360 REDOCTANE ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

kottila

frankie_baby said:
i was actually surprised how low it was considering the amount of advertising its been getting but then again i suppose light gun games are a very very niche genre and thus just scraping the top ten is very respectable

Haven't we learned by now that Wii games often start out slow?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
doicare said:
What is amazing is that it seems nobody around here is entitled to say anything that can be seen as negative in anyway towards the wii, which is a pretty sad state of affairs when somebody can't give an opinion. And at the same time it seems like everybody has a free pass to bash the 360 and ps3 (especially the ps3, go check out the latest npd thread). It was my opinion at the begining of the generation that the ps3 would eventually win, that was an opinion that was held by most, yet now 3 years later thanks to some laughable revisionist history anybody saying they thought the ps3 would win was a moron/fanboy. I originally spoke about school holidays effecting sales because as far as i was concerned it was just common sense and despite me bring a sh*tton of evidence to backup what i have said some people still feel the need to bash and ridicule.
You are perfectly entitled to make subjective statements, but when you make statements that are quantifiable, expect people to challenge it. You have basically defended your throw away comment in an old thread for months now by altering your argument and carefully choosing your data.
Let us know the holiday periods you are using and we can perform the proper statistical tests and determine whether your hardware claim has any validity.

kottila said:
Haven't we learned by now that Wii games often start out slow?

oh yeah i do know that, i just expected higher from it, it really has been advertised like crazy and game are doing it as a free bundle with the wii

kottila

frankie_baby said:
oh yeah i do know that, i just expected higher from it, it really has been advertised like crazy and game are doing it as a free bundle with the wii

Hopefully some chain has ordered to many and will drop the price to under 20£, so that we who live in a country with outdated rules, can buy it too.

kottila said:
Hopefully some chain has ordered to many and will drop the price to under 20£, so that we who live in a country with outdated rules, can buy it too.

well i think amazon are selling it for £25 so not far off

Verve

for this weeks thread:

10oh45e.png

Norway:
Week 6, 2009 - All Formatshttp://www.vg.no/spill/topp20konsoll.hbs?liste=2&uke=8&aar=2009

Consoles
01 (02) Guitar Hero: World Tour (Activision)
02 (01) Skate 2 (Electronic Arts)
03 (03) Singstar Abba (Sony)
04 (05) Call of Duty: World at War (Activision)
05 (04) FIFA 09 (Electronic Arts)
06 (06) Need For Speed: Undercover (Electronic Arts)
07 (07) Wii Fit (Nintendo)
08 (08) Lord of the Rings: Conquest (Electronic Arts)
09 (10) Lego Batman: The Video Game (Warner Brothers Interactive)
10 (15) Grand Theft Auto IV (Rockstar Games)
11 (19) Shaun White Snowboarding (Ubisoft)
12 (__) Little Big Planet (Sony)
13 (09) Far Cry 2 (Ubisoft)
14 (11) Fallout 3 (Bethesda Softworks)
15 (13) Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)
16 (18) Quantum of Solace: The Game (Activision)
17 (12) Gears of War 2 (Microsoft)
18 (__) Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures (Lucasarts)
19 (__) Tomb Raider: Underworld (Eidos)
20 (__) Buzz: Quiz TV (Sony)
Handheld
01 (01) Littlest Pet Shop (DS) (Electronic Arts)
02 (02) New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
03 (04) Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
04 (06) Lego Batman: The Video Game (Warner Brothers Interactive)
05 (__) Josefine og Drømmespeilet (Pan Vision)
06 (10) Mario Party DS (Nintendo)
07 (__) Crash: Mind over Mutant (Activision)
08 (09) Hello Kitty: Big City Dreams (Empire Interactive)
09 (__) Bolt (DS) (Disney Interactive)
10 (07) Need For Speed: Undercover (Electronic Arts)
PC
01 (01) World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King (Blizzard)
02 (02) Football Manager 2009 (Sega)
03 (05) The Sims 2 (Electronic Arts)
04 (__) CSI: New York (Ubisoft)
05 (06) The Sims 2: Byliv (Electronic Arts)
06 (03) Far Cry 2 (Ubisoft)
07 (__) The Sims 2: Årstider (Electronic Arts)
08 (08) Grand Theft Auto IV (Rockstar Games)
09 (04) Fallout 3 (Bethesda Softworks)
10 (__) Call of Duty: World at War (Activision)

for next weeks thread:

1zgyw5i.png

UK:
Week 7, 2009 - Individual Formats (Units)
01 (01) WII Wii Fit (Nintendo)
02 (02) NDS Mystery Case Files: Millionheir (Nintendo)
03 (04) WII Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)
04 (05) WII Wii Play (Nintendo)
05 (11) WII My Fitness Coach (Ubisoft)
06 (03) NDS Professor Layton And The Curious Village (Nintendo)
07 (__) 360 F.E.A.R 2: Project Origin (Warner Bros. Interactive)
08 (13) 360 Left 4 Dead (Electronic Arts)
09 (06) 360 Call Of Duty: World At War (Activision Blizzard)
10 (__) WII The House Of The Dead: Overkill (Sega)
11 (07) NDS Dr Kawashima'S Brain Training (Nintendo)
12 (09) WII Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Games (Sega)
13 (__) PS3 F.E.A.R 2: Project Origin (Warner Bros. Interactive)
14 (10) PS3 Call Of Duty: World At War (Activision Blizzard)
15 (12) 360 Fifa 09 (Electronic Arts)
16 (17) NDS Mario Kart Ds (Nintendo)
17 (18) NDS New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
18 (22) NDS More Brain Training From Dr Kawashima (Nintendo)
19 (__) NDS Puzzler Collection (Ubisoft)
20 (15) PS3 Littlebigplanet (Sony Computer Ent.)
21 (20) WII Carnival: Funfair Games (Take 2)
22 (14) PS3 Fifa 09 (Electronic Arts)
23 (__) 360 Grand Theft Auto Iv (Take 2)
24 (21) WII Big Beach Sports (Thq)
25 (16) PC Football Manager 2009 (Sega)
26 (__) 360 Halo 3 (Microsoft)
27 (19) PS3 Resistance 2 (Sony Computer Ent.)
28 (__) PC F.E.A.R 2: Project Origin (Warner Bros. Interactive)
29 (08) 360 Skate 2 (Electronic Arts)
30 (24) WII Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree (Nintendo)
31 (27) WII Sports Island (Konami)
32 (37) WII Guitar Hero Iii: Legends Of Rock (Activision Blizzard)
33 (31) NDS Carnival: Funfair Games (Take 2)
34 (__) NDS Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Games (Sega)
35 (34) WII Guitar Hero: World Tour (Activision Blizzard)
36 (__) NDS 100 Classic Book Collection (Nintendo)
37 (__) WII Winter Sports 2008: Ultimate Challenge (Activision Blizzard)
38 (26) 360 Gears Of War 2 (Microsoft)
39 (__) PS3 Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision Blizzard)
40 (40) 360 Guitar Hero: World Tour (Activision Blizzard)

Wii: 13
NDS: 10
360: 9
PS3: 6
PC: 2

nv4pxy.png

Ireland:
Week 7, 2009 - Entertainment Software (All Prices)
01 (01) Fifa 09 (Electronic Arts)
02 (12) Mystery Case Files: Millionheir (Nintendo)
03 (02) Wii Fit (Nintendo)
04 (03) Professor Layton And The Curious Village (Nintendo)
05 (04) Call Of Duty: World At War (Activision Blizzard)
06 (__) F.E.A.R 2: Project Origin (Warner Bros. Interactive)
07 (07) Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)
08 (08) Need For Speed: Undercover (Electronic Arts)
09 (16) Grand Theft Auto Iv (Take 2)
10 (05) New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
11 (17) Dr Kawashima'S Brain Training (Nintendo)
12 (__) Ben 10: Alien Force (D3p)
13 (09) Wii Play (Nintendo)
14 (10) Mario Kart Ds (Nintendo)
15 (__) Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Games (Sega)
16 (__) Tiger Woods Pga Tour 09 (Electronic Arts)
17 (13) Guitar Hero: World Tour (Activision Blizzard)
18 (__) Lego Batman: The Videogame (Warner Bros. Interactive)
19 (20) Left 4 Dead (Electronic Arts)
20 (__) Sports Island (Konami)

Dascu

HotDWii just didn't make it in the Irish charts. It's ranked 5 in the Wii-only one, just below Sports Island.

doicare

poppabk said:
You are perfectly entitled to make subjective statements, but when you make statements that are quantifiable, expect people to challenge it. You have basically defended your throw away comment in an old thread for months now by altering your argument and carefully choosing your data.
Let us know the holiday periods you are using and we can perform the proper statistical tests and determine whether your hardware claim has any validity.

Uh huh, what i said was not a throw away comment.
Sooooo, how exactly have i altered my argument? How am i 'carefully' choosing my data?

As for the holiday periods, they cover pal weeks 7,8,14,15,16,17,21,22,23,30,31,32,33,34,35 with pal weeks 28,29 being the last two weeks of the summer term when very little work is done.

Dascu said:
HotDWii just didn't make it in the Irish charts. It's ranked 5 in the Wii-only one, just below Sports Island.

the irish chart is multi-format combined together so exclusive titles almost always chart lower

It's funny everytime you bring up your theory doicare, there's a whole bunch of people willing to laugh at it, and yet there's not one person that will back you up. Want to take a guess why?

doicare

BishopLamont said:
It's funny everytime you bring up your theory doicare, there's a whole bunch of people willing to laugh at it, and yet there's not one person that will back you up. Want to take a guess why?

If you bothered looking you'd see plenty of people who agree with it, and unsurprisingly the people who disagree make the most noise about it, yet haven't been able to prove what i 've said is wrong.....then there's the fanboys but that's another story.

Weisheit

doicare said:
Uh huh, what i said was not a throw away comment.
It most certainly was:

doicare said:
Well it's the summer holidays for the kids now in the uk so the large boost in wii sales is from little timmay and friends buying wii's
It was only after it was pointed out that Wii sw was strong for months previously, that your argument changed from summer holidays to every holiday in Britain.
yet haven't been able to prove what i 've said is wrong.....
Why is it anyone else's job to prove you're wrong? Don't you have to prove yourself correct first? The only thing you've proven is correlation, I can do that too:

Code:
Wk1 sw 14 (new moon)
Wk2 sw  7
Wk3 sw  7
Wk4 sw  7
Wk5 sw 15 (new moon)
Wk6 sw  8  
Wk7 sw  7
Wk8 sw  16 (new moon)
Wk9 sw  7
Wk10 sw  7
Wk11 sw  15 (new moon)
By your logic Nintendo should be thanking the new moon for their sales...

Top Bottom