• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 11, 2014

hamchan

Larger install base and on two consoles? nope, still impressive.

The game touted as the next big shooter (the most popular genre) by all the games media, with the full marketing support of EA and Microsoft juggernauts,

vs

a hardcore brutal RPG series that has garnered it's support over 3 games due to word of mouth about how good it is.

Well no it makes sense, since in this case they know exactly how many "digital sales" happened.

It only makes sense if you know the digital sales of everything. For all we know digital sales of DS2 might have brought it to number one. Yeah, right ;-)
Be that as it may, it is clear that if they DIDN'T count them then it wouldn't have been number one. Which smells of special pleading of MS wanting to have their cake and eat it. They didn't want to have to give a physical copy in the bundle, but also wanted it to count in the chart.

Like I say, tinfoil hat ;-)

Raist

Banned
The game touted as the next big shooter (the most popular genre) by all the games media, with the full marketing support of EA and Microsoft juggernauts,

vs

a hardcore brutal RPG series that has garnered it's support over 3 games due to word of mouth about how good it is.

Pretty much. It would have been a disaster if DSII outsold TF.

What's surprising is Dark Souls II selling more on 360. DS sold 58% on PS3 in 2011. Seems 360 has usurped PS3 as the home of the Souls series.

Tinfoil hat mode! I smell flim-flammery!

So Titanfall's DIGITAL sales got added to the physical chart! Most irregular!

They did the same for the Day One FIFA bundle. It's misleading to exclude console games where digital sales make up the mast majority of the sales. Of course, it's misleading to exclude digital games period, but I can see why they made the exception in these two cases.

For all the talk of a "big" HW bump for Xbone, it doesn't look like there was any corresponding bump for Xbone software at all.

"Clearly designed for consoles" you say?

Of course. This isn't counterstrike or Quake Arena.

It only makes sense if you know the digital sales of everything. For all we know digital sales of DS2 might have brought it to number one. Yeah, right ;-)
Be that as it may, it is clear that if they DIDN'T count them then it wouldn't have been number one. Which smells of special pleading of MS wanting to have their cake and eat it. They didn't want to have to give a physical copy in the bundle, but also wanted it to count in the chart.

Like I say, tinfoil hat ;-)

Are you sure CT don't normally track retail sold game download cards? I can't see why they wouldn't, it's easy to keep track of that data, while numbers from online stores are obviously out of their grasp.

What's surprising is Dark Souls II selling more on 360. DS sold 58% on PS3 in 2011. Seems 360 has usurped PS3 as the home of the Souls series.

Will that be reflected worldwide though? I know the UK tends to be a microcosm for similar patterns in the US, but around most of Europe it will probably sell better on the PS3, and obviously in Japan sales will lean heavily in favour of the PS3 as well.

Saty

There was an interview with WB's sales and marketing director in the UK about their performance in the uk market:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/how-...-nowhere-to-take-on-ea-and-activision/0129612

This bit of data on LEGO Movie 1st week can help calculations:
“The LEGO Movie, which in its opening weekend took the theatrical No.1 spot at the Box Office, was also the biggest debut week of an all new video game in 2014 – with 42,900 units – and an immensely popular toy launch.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Btw wasn't Second Son tracking ahead TLoU in preorder numbers or something? Anybody know the opening week numbers of TLoU? I wonder how it compares to TitanFall.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like a really solid opening for titanfall and ds! Happy for both of em. Time to make an origin account I guess, tF looks really fun

Will that be reflected worldwide though? I know the UK tends to be a microcosm for similar patterns in the US, but around most of Europe it will probably sell better on the PS3, and obviously in Japan sales will lean heavily in favour of the PS3 as well.

Doubt it worldwide. Will still be a shock if it sells more on 360 in the US though given the series started as a PS3 exclusive.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
There is no doubt the game helped.

Yoshi @ 10 expected?

I don't know if this was expected, but considering the press resonance for the game (especially in UK) and that the only two Yoshi titles to start stronger were the one on the most successful Nintendo-system ever (YIDS) and the last one that was produced as an in-house AAA game (YS), I'd say the start seems to be rather nice. Especially keeping in mind the lukewarm reaction of UK to the 3DS in general.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Oh, wait. Didn't the XO also get a pricecut last week?

That would explain the bump. So it's not just Titanfall. PR gotta PR, I guess.

trust me it is titan fall. the price drop didn't really do anything. Bundling unsold units with titanfall skyrocketed sales for the company i work for.

I don't want to say it but you wouldnt believe how many ps4's were traded in towards xbox one titanfall bundles. A lot more than you would think, i can promise you that.

Bruno MB

TOP 10 ENTERTAINMENT SOFTWARE (ALL PRICES), WEEK ENDING 15 March 2014

01 (NE) TITANFALL (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - Over 125.000
02 (NE) DARK SOULS II (BANDAI NAMCO GAMES)
03 (01) SOUTH PARK: THE STICK OF TRUTH (UBISOFT)
04 (04) THE LEGO MOVIE VIDEOGAME (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE) - 13.100
05 (02) THIEF (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE) - Between 11.200 and 12.000
06 (05) FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
07 (03) PLANTS VS ZOMBIES: GARDEN WARFARE (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - Over 11.200
08 (06) CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 7.300
09 (07) MINECRAFT: XBOX 360 EDITION (MICROSOFT)
10 (08) BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 5.600

Dark Souls II

360 (51%)
PS3 (49%)

Dark Souls

PS3 (58%)
360 (42%)

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
trust me it is titan fall. the price drop didn't really do anything. Bundling unsold units with titanfall skyrocketed sales for the company i work for.

I don't want to say it but you wouldnt believe how many ps4's were traded in towards xbox one titanfall bundles. A lot more than you would think, i can promise you that.

A lot more than I would think would be "one". Why would you buy a PS4 just to resell it when Titanfall comes out? It's not like Titanfall is some huge surprise no one could have thought of before.

Bruno MB's numbers mean Titanfall PC was ~6k, as it's less than Minecraft 360.

A lot more than I would think would be "one". Why would you buy a PS4 just to resell it when Titanfall comes out? It's not like Titanfall is some huge surprise no one could have thought of before.

Because some people will have played enough of Knack or Killzone or whatever.

Hammer24

Banned
TOP 10 ENTERTAINMENT SOFTWARE (ALL PRICES), WEEK ENDING 15 March 2014

01 (NE) TITANFALL (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - Over 125.000
02 (NE) DARK SOULS II (BANDAI NAMCO GAMES)
03 (01) SOUTH PARK: THE STICK OF TRUTH (UBISOFT)
04 (04) THE LEGO MOVIE VIDEOGAME (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE) - 13.100
05 (02) THIEF (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE) - Between 11.200 and 12.000
06 (05) FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
07 (03) PLANTS VS ZOMBIES: GARDEN WARFARE (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - Over 11.200
08 (06) CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 7.300
09 (07) MINECRAFT: XBOX 360 EDITION (MICROSOFT)
10 (08) BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 5.600

Dark Souls II

360 (51%)
PS3 (49%)

Dark Souls

PS3 (58%)
360 (42%)

So TF sold ~10 times what chart #4 sold? Wow.

Occam

Food for thought: If Xbone/PS4 sales ratio previously was 1:3 in the UK and Xbone sales increased by 100% the week Titanfall was released, then that means the ratio became 2:3, so for every 2 Xbones 3 PS4s were sold.

Raist

Banned

Oh boy.

Why wouldn't you want to say it? It's not a matter of national security.

MYE

France clearly superior in taste to the UK (but then again who isn't)

Hang on there Donkey Kong :)

Hammer24

Banned
Oh, I was pretty sure I had seen that number thrown around.

Sony announced at the end of January that the ratio is 1.5:1 in favor of the PS4. If this still holds true, nobody knows. But if we think there is a correlation between hw and sw sales, last couple weeks charts would suggest this gap didn´t widen.

Occam

It's so annoying that we get no real sales data for Europe; without any actual numbers all those ratios and percentages are totally meaningless.
As it stands, there is hardly any basis for discussion.
The fact that MS gave us this "96% increase" percentage instead of a real number is pretty telling in itself.

dolemite

Titanfall XBone attach rate must be insane. Now the question is what happens next week, can InFamous or MGSV unseat it from #1?

Top Bottom