• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 16, 2013

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ah right, since these are Week 16 Charts for both Germany and France...

14l.jpg

15l.jpg

Main differences for Germany chart: no PC SKUs, standard and collector's SKUs counted separately, and source being GFK and not Media Control/Gamesmarkt

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
I will get more detail later, but this week's MCV UK reports that UK software sales were the lowest on record this past week, measured by units. A fairly high ASP kept it from being that way on revenue.

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that we're about to enter the dry season. This is precisely what I was talking about, and this is hardly a propitious beginning.

The software market is basically about 10-15% behind where it was at the same point in 2012, measured in units and revenue. But we've burned through the best month of sales, and now there's a wasteland in front of us.

By the time we reach mid-summer, being behind by only 10-15% may seem like a beautiful fantasy.

The second half of the year looks really strong tho. GTA5, Battlefield 4, Cod: whatever and Fifa14 have all the potential to sell 20m+ ww. Then you have 2 new hardware launches and I also expect some big pricecuts for the current gen consoles. So not all is lost.

Mpl90

Dutch Chart for the week ending 04.27.13

01./01. [3DS] Luigi's Mansion 2 (Nintendo)
02./02. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (Activision)
03./00. [PS3] Injustice: Gods Among Us (Warner Bros.)
04./04. [WII] Just Dance 4 (Ubisoft)
05./06. [WII] Skylanders Giants (Activision)
06./00. [3DS] Fire Emblem: Awakening (Nintendo)
07./05. [PC] SimCity (Electronic Arts)
08./RE. [PS3] Assassin's Creed 3 (Ubisoft)
09./03. [PS3] FIFA 13 (Electronic Arts)
10./00. [360] Injustice: Gods Among Us (Warner Bros.)

The second half of the year looks really strong tho. GTA5, Battlefield 4, Cod: whatever and Fifa14 have all the potential to sell 20m+ ww. Then you have 2 new hardware launches and I also expect some big pricecuts for the current gen consoles. So not all is lost.

Can you imagine how bad the movie industry would look if everything good came out in Feb/March, and then Sep-Nov? The videogame industry has to figure out how to keep people interested in the summer time.

Mpl90

It's quite weird seeing Luigi and Fire Emblem at the top of many PAL charts.

I don't know why, but I'm starting feeling that Luigi's Mansion success is also due to last Nintendo Direct events, when they highlighted the importance of this title and that 2013 is The Year of Luigi. No one was expecting it to be this kind of a success, few people thought it could sell over 1 million WW in its first week / 11 days of availability. And instead, here we have a title being high everywhere, even in UK, the worst territory for 3DS software wise by far.

EDIT: I'm not saying NDs have had the main role in this success, but still a good role. Advertising on TV, web and social media when a game is about to be launched is the biggest component for the success of a title as always.

I don't know why, but I'm starting feeling that Luigi's Mansion success is also due to last Nintendo Direct events, when they highlighted the importance of this title and that 2013 is The Year of Luigi. No one was expecting it to be this kind of a success, few people thought it could sell over 1 million WW in its first week / 11 days of availability. And instead, here we have a title being high everywhere, even in UK, the worst territory for 3DS software wise by far.

EDIT: I'm not saying NDs have had the main role in this success, but still a good role. Advertising on TV, web and social media when a game is about to be launched is the biggest component for the success of a title as always.

I think it was just the right game on the right platform. 3DS userbase is not the casual crowd the DS mainly was, and this is witnessed by the sales of Fire Emblem.

Can you imagine how bad the movie industry would look if everything good came out in Feb/March, and then Sep-Nov? The videogame industry has to figure out how to keep people interested in the summer time.

I think it's harder for gaming in that people don't usually like to be stuck at home when it's summer. Cinema doesn't suffer from the same problem as it often turns into a trip after a day out or as part of the day out.

I do agree that they should start to spread the releases a lot more than they do now, but I can understand why they tend to release before or just after Summer.

DS/Wii rebuilt Nintendo's brand image. They were becoming stale in the Gamecube era and a 'niche' games company.

So a game like Luigi is a very good game; well marketed; has a great feel of a Pixar film imo.
More importantly - its a really big excuse for a 3D game, it couldn't be done on the DS. We saw with the Layton games the sort of complaints of parents not fully understanding the reason for the new console.

Next - coming back to branding - its Luigi, in a blockbuster cinematic game. Hes a huge lead character for Nintendo.
A great time to 'change the face' of these sorts of games and really push Luigi, promising something that to the vast vast majority of players they've never experienced before.

Perfect Character + Perfect Game + Perfect System = SUCCESS

Mpl90

http://ukie.info/content/ukie-week-17-2013-uk-video-games-charts

Top 40 Entertainment Software (All Prices), Week Ending 26 April 2013

DEAD ISLAND: RIPTIDE - KOCH MEDIA
INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US - WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE
DRAGON'S DOGMA: DARK ARISEN - CAPCOM
STAR TREK - NAMCO BANDAI GAMES
TOMB RAIDER - SQUARE ENIX EUROPE
BIOSHOCK INFINITE - TAKE 2
FIFA 13 - ELECTRONIC ARTS
LEGO CITY UNDERCOVER: THE CHASE BEGINS - NINTENDO
DEFIANCE - TRION WORLDS
LUIGI'S MANSION 2 - NINTENDO
CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS II - ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
FAR CRY 3 - UBISOFT
FIRE EMBLEM: AWAKENING - NINTENDO
THE ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM - BETHESDA SOFTWORKS
SONIC & ALL STARS RACING TRANSFORMED - SEGA
LEGO BATMAN 2: DC SUPER HEROES - WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE
HITMAN ABSOLUTION - SQUARE ENIX EUROPE
SKYLANDERS GIANTS - ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
ALIENS: COLONIAL MARINES - SEGA
ASSASSIN'S CREED III - UBISOFT
GRAND THEFT AUTO EPISODES - LIBERTY CITY - TAKE 2
GOD OF WAR: ASCENSION - SONY COMPUTER ENT.
NEED FOR SPEED MOST WANTED - ELECTRONIC ARTS
SNIPER: GHOST WARRIOR 2 - CITY INTERACTIVE
TIGER WOODS PGA TOUR 1 - ELECTRONIC ARTS
GRAND THEFT AUTO IV - TAKE 2
LEGO THE LORD OF THE RINGS - WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE
SLEEPING DOGS - SQUARE ENIX EUROPE
WWE '13 - THQ
GEARS OF WAR: JUDGMENT - MICROSOFT
RED DEAD REDEMPTION: GOTY - TAKE 2
SIMCITY - ELECTRONIC ARTS
ARMY OF TWO: THE DEVIL'S CARTEL - ELECTRONIC ARTS
JUST DANCE 4 - UBISOFT
DEAD ISLAND GOTY EDITION - KOCH MEDIA
FOOTBALL MANAGER 2013 - SEGA
DISHONORED - BETHESDA SOFTWORKS
DEADLY PREMONITION: THE DIRECTOR'S CUT - RISING STAR GAMES
THE SIMS 3 - ELECTRONIC ARTS
CRYSIS 3 - ELECTRONIC ARTS
UKIE Games Charts ©, compiled by GfK Chart-Track

Mpl90

For the same of comparison, LCU debuted at 12th in the All SKUs chart, and it had the same amount of competition LCU: The Chase Begins had this week (i.e. Three other good-selling new releases).

Luigi seems to stay strong: 4 new titles in top 10 and it lost only two places.

The movie industry historically shows a very similar pattern jut with different months as the big ones. The film revenue is concentrated in the summer months (hence the term summer blockbuster) the jan-feb period is often a very low earning for box office. Some exceptions occur, films that gross 100mill are considered a big success in this time whereas in the summer months that wouldn't even be on the radar for most decent releases.

Saty

The sequel to the hugely successful ‘Dead Island’ which launched in week 36 2011, matches its predecessor by taking the crown in its first week despite having less than half the sales of the original. In total 71% of sales are for Xbox 360 which includes the special Zombie Bait Edition
Dead Island's first week had the maximum possible number of 124,000 units. So Riptide's first week is less than 62,000.

liger05

Luigi really is doing the business everywhere. I do wish we could have HW numbers in Europe. Would be interesting to see if its shifted many 3DS's.

Top Bottom