• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 31, 2008

linsivvi

nli10 said:
We knew M&S would make it to 1 million eventually, but before the Olympics actually starts? Not many would have predicted that. The DS version is creeping up to 600 too.

This is the truly insane thing. Sega predicted 4M of Wii + DS version worldwide. While many people laughed at it, 4M is a very reasonable prediction. Nobody in their right mind, however, would have predicted that M&S would hit $1M in the UK alone, and it's just the Wii version!

spwolf

nli10 said:
I expected SSB:B to be over 200k but I'm glad to see MGS4 made it, the PS3 needs a few bigger exclusive games to keep the market interest up. I can see both creeping to 300k before the year is out.

if MGS4 sold over 200k in less than 3 weeks, pretty sure it will be at 300k before end of the year :).

spwolf

linsivvi said:
This is the truly insane thing. Sega predicted 4M of Wii + DS version worldwide. While many people laughed at it, 4M is a very reasonable prediction. Nobody in their right mind, however, would have predicted that M&S would hit $1M in the UK alone, and it's just the Wii version!

its probably one of the most sucessful games ever.

Xavien

milanbaros said:
I was trying to find out how much bigger the Japanese market is compared to the UK.

UK 2007 - £1.72bn ~ Y366bn +26% on 2006
Japan 2007 - Y360.25bn ~ £1.69bn -1% on 2006

In the first half of the year software sales were up 42% on 2007 in the UK but can't find the info for Japan.

This comparison would be much better with units but last year was the first time the UK software market overtook the Japanese in terms of revenue and it looks to extend that lead massively this year.

Colour me surprised.

Impressive indeed, especially considering the UK has less than 1/2 the population of Japan (60 mill vs 127 mill).

I have noticed locally that folks really seem to be accepting video games more than in previous gens, here in the UK.

spwolf said:
thanks for the hard work... so RC charted once in all game charts and GHIII never charted, and yet both games went over 100k in UK.

So yes, casual games do sell a lot over long period of times, and no, top 40 charts dont tell a lot.
What's so hard to understand, if games that aren't in the top 40 sells well, it just means games that are in the top 40 sells even better. Yes, no?

ELSPA said:
1 Title Reaches Diamond Status (1.0m)

Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Games (Wii)
Gogogo M&S! Now Sega/Nintendo, about that platform game I was talking about....

nli10

spwolf said:
if MGS4 sold over 200k in less than 3 weeks, pretty sure it will be at 300k before end of the year :).

Yup, but as GTAIV proved, the drop off on PS3 titles means they take a little longer to do this than on X360. MGS4 has no direct competition (unless there's a currently released hide & seek game on the X360 I've forgotten about) other than it's own re-releases with Substance and similar for next year so will do Ok.

Really does beg the question though of when will PS3 get a 'killer ap' (or million seller if you prefer) for the UK? Or at least something I find vaguely worth the entry price other than SingStar? At this rate the next Sony device I get to play games on will be my new phone in 15 months time when the contract on my K850i runs out.

Jokeropia

milanbaros said:
I was trying to find out how much bigger the Japanese market is compared to the UK.

UK 2007 - £1.72bn ~ Y366bn +26% on 2006
Japan 2007 - Y360.25bn ~ £1.69bn -1% on 2006

In the first half of the year software sales were up 42% on 2007 in the UK but can't find the info for Japan.

This comparison would be much better with units but last year was the first time the UK software market overtook the Japanese in terms of revenue and it looks to extend that lead massively this year.

Colour me surprised.
Keep in mind though that videogames are like twice as expensive in the UK as in Japan.

Rock_Man

What DS games get the most marketing right now in UK, Germany, France etc? In Sweden they have suddenly started to show commercials for nintendogs and New Super Mario Bros, over two years after release. DS was never a success here since since Nintendo in Sweden didn't understand what made it successful elsewhere (they charged full price for the brain training games etc.) I think it's too late for huge success now, but it will be interesting to see what the new campaign does for DS over here.

polluar

Rock_Man said:
What DS games get the most marketing right now in UK, Germany, France etc? In Sweden they have suddenly started to show commercials for nintendogs and New Super Mario Bros, over two years after release. DS was never a success here since since Nintendo in Sweden didn't understand what made it successful elsewhere (they charged full price for the brain training games etc.) I think it's too late for huge success now, but it will be interesting to see what the new campaign does for DS over here.

Right Now in France, Cooking Guide and Guitar Hero On Tour and Cerebral academy get the more intensive campaigns, but nothing compare to the wii where we can see each day commercials for mario kart wii, SSBB, Wii Fit and even Wii Sports :eek:

Nintendo is investing a lot in France. I've never seen such an amount of commercials from nintendo before. It's incredible

Neo C.

nli10 said:
Crossbow Training taking this long to hit 100k is a surprise for me. It was really in demand on launch (like most of the pack in games) and sold out fast, but when it came back in stock most gamers were no longer interested!
It's overpriced. My bro spend 49 SFr. (around 30€) to buy the game, when in the US it is like 20$ IIRC. So unless you really like the Zapper or a huge Zelda fan, you won't buy it.

milanbaros

Member?
Jokeropia said:
Keep in mind though that videogames are like twice as expensive in the UK as in Japan.

Yeah, to get get a true comparison we need both. If we compared units you could just say the exact same thing and it would be a valid counter argument.

Also, I'm not sure that the average retail price will be that much different considering the UK loves their budget gaming much more so than the Japanese.

spwolf

BishopLamont said:
What's so hard to understand, if games that aren't in the top 40 sells well, it just means games that are in the top 40 sells even better. Yes, no?

that is true, but how much better and how long they sell better?
Haze had first few weeks performance better than both of these games combined in the UK. According to chart, it will easily outsell them.

Will it happen? Nope.

spwolf

nli10 said:
Yup, but as GTAIV proved, the drop off on PS3 titles means they take a little longer to do this than on X360. MGS4 has no direct competition (unless there's a currently released hide & seek game on the X360 I've forgotten about) other than it's own re-releases with Substance and similar for next year so will do Ok.

Really does beg the question though of when will PS3 get a 'killer ap' (or million seller if you prefer) for the UK? Or at least something I find vaguely worth the entry price other than SingStar? At this rate the next Sony device I get to play games on will be my new phone in 15 months time when the contract on my K850i runs out.

million seller PS3 in the UK?

Maybe in 2010 or 2011... first they need to sell a lot more PS3's.

I thought MGS4 was killer app? Are you saying you refuse to play games that sell less than 1mil or something?

What exactly did GTAIV show again? It didnt sell well either?

JonnyBrad

Rock_Man said:

The guitar hero on tour ad is on just about every break. Nintendo use celebs to advertise DS games in the UK and its seems to be working (the GHOT Ad is with Vernon Kay + his missus.)

nli10 said:

buy imagine babiez for ds. it sold ten million copies, it's the game you're looking for.

spwolf said:
that is true, but how much better and how long they sell better?
Haze had first few weeks performance better than both of these games combined in the UK. According to chart, it will easily outsell them.

Will it happen? Nope.
And how do you know it won't? I don't see the point in comparing the two since we don't have data out of the top 40, and that's where they perform.

Neomoto

_Alkaline_ said:
This is true, although we should take into account that in the US the 360 version was initially on top but consistency brought the Wii version to its current position. The Wii version has been charting better for a while now, so when it's all said and done I wouldn't be surprised to see the Wii version on top.
I agree, last week GH 3 charted on place 26 so it's still selling decently. We'll see what happens (I hope)

linsivvi said:
We don't have the actual figures though. All we know is that the 360 version reached 200K by July and the Wii version reached 100K sometime ago. So it could be anywhere between 100K-200K currently.
Of course, but sadly those are the only figures we have. Because you can say the same about the X360 version, we only know it's above 200k so it can be anywhere between 200k and 300k, same for the PS3 version (but 100k - 200k like the Wii version)

Without absolute numbers it's kinda hard to compare them directly, you can go by ranking but like I said earlier because it's not as big a market as America or even Japan the difference between the slots through the top 40 isn't that big. Maybe a version is lingering just outside the top 40 and for all we know, that could mean it's selling just a few thousand (or even hundred) less than one that is at place 30 or something.

Still, it would be interesting to see how all the versions of Guitar Hero World Tour will do. That will also be a better "test" between the platforms about that franchise then GH 3 was.

nli10 said:
We knew M&S would make it to 1 million eventually, but before the Olympics actually starts? Not many would have predicted that. The DS version is creeping up to 600 too.
Yeah no kidding, and that 1 million is just the Wii version alone. I thought the game would perform great (though first day Japan sales made me doubt it for a moment), but more than 1.5 million in the UK alone? 1.5 MILLION in the UK before the actual Olympics have even started? Now that's just batshit insane.

Sega would be out of her mind if they don't do a Mario & Sonic at the Winter Olympics cross-version again (with Balance Board and MotionPlus support).

Rolf NB

Neomoto said:
Without absolute numbers it's kinda hard to compare them directly, you can go by ranking but like I said earlier because it's not as big a market as America or even Japan the difference between the slots through the top 40 isn't that big. Maybe a version is lingering just outside the top 40 and for all we know, that could mean it's selling just a few thousand (or even hundred) less than one that is at place 30 or something.
I don't think that's particularly likely. I'd expect the drop-off curve describing the ratios in sales between the top ranking games and the 10th, 20th, 30th, 40th places to be roughly the same across any active market.
Absolute differences rarely are a useful metric, if you meant it that way (e.g. "place #35 sold 1k copies more than #40, but we don't know how much that is"). Ratios is where it's at.

Jokeropia

°°ToMmY°° said:
buy imagine babiez for ds. it sold ten million copies, it's the game you're looking for.
Actually, it has only broken 100k. If you want a DS killer app, NSMB is the game you're after.

spwolf

BishopLamont said:
And how do you know it won't? I don't see the point in comparing the two since we don't have data out of the top 40, and that's where they perform.

well now we have the data for RC - it sold over 100k... :lol

milanbaros

Member?
polluar said:
Jesus, this embracement for Mario is still impressive !!

And by still impressive you mean higher than ever in the UK. He may have peaked 20 years ago in Japan and the US but he selling better than ever in the UK.

polluar

milanbaros said:
And by still impressive you mean higher than ever in the UK. He may have peaked 20 years ago in Japan and the US but he selling better than ever in the UK.

yes yes this insane for UK

spwolf said:
well now we have the data for RC - it sold over 100k... :lol
RC release date: Nov last year.
Haze release date: May this year.

Haze may end up outselling R&C because we don't know if Haze's off-charts growth was better, worse or equal to RC's. All we know is that both games did not make it to 100k whilst being on the charts and that it took RC 8-9 months to reach 100k. Haze could reach 100k in less time or never make it to 100k, we'll see.

milanbaros

Member?
Very good debut for SCIV. Total nearly 7x higher than SCIII debut if I've worked that out right.

Wii Fit up 35% from last week :lol

pswii60

UK All Formats / All Prices:
- 1 SOULCALIBUR IV NAMCO NAMCO BANDAI GAMES UBISOFT
1 2 WII FIT NINTENDO NINTENDO NINTENDO
3 3 MARIO KART WII NINTENDO NINTENDO NINTENDO
2 4 WALL-E HELIXE PLAY THQ THQ
10 5 BIG BEACH SPORTS HB STUDIOS PLAY THQ THQ
4 6 GUITAR HERO: ON TOUR VICARIOUS VISIONS REDOCTANE ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
6 7 WII PLAY NINTENDO NINTENDO NINTENDO
7 8 MARIO & SONIC AT THE OLYMPIC GAMES SEGA SEGA SEGA
9 9 DR KAWASHIMA'S BRAIN TRAINING NINTENDO NINTENDO NINTENDO
5 10 LEGO INDIANA JONES: ORIGINAL ADVENTURES TRAVELLER'S TALES LUCASARTS LUCASARTS
11 11 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK NEVERSOFT REDOCTANE ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
12 12 KUNG FU PANDA VICARIOUS VISIONS ACTIVISION ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
8 13 SUPER SMASH BROS: BRAWL SORA LTD NINTENDO NINTENDO
16 14 CARNIVAL: FUNFAIR GAMES CAT DADDY 2KPLAY TAKE 2
20 15 CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE INFINITY WARD ACTIVISION ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
13 16 BATTLEFIELD: BAD COMPANY DIGITAL ILLUSIONS EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS
14 17 SPORTS PARTY DIGITAL EMBRYO PLAY ZONE UBISOFT
22 18 MORE BRAIN TRAINING FROM DR KAWASHIMA NINTENDO NINTENDO NINTENDO
18 19 FIFA 08 EA CANADA EA SPORTS ELECTRONIC ARTS
15 20 BEIJING 2008 EUROCOM ENTERTAINMENT SEGA SEGA
21 21 GRAND THEFT AUTO IV ROCKSTAR NORTH ROCKSTAR TAKE 2
17 22 METAL GEAR SOLID 4: GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS KONAMI DIGITAL ENTERTAINMENT KONAMI KONAMI
19 23 TOP SPIN 3 PAM DEVELOPMENT 2K SPORTS TAKE 2
25 24 THE SIMPSONS GAME AMAZE ENTERTAINMENT EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS
24 25 PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2008 KONAMI DIGITAL ENTERTAINMENT KONAMI KONAMI
- 26 BEN 10: PROTECTOR OF EARTH 1ST PLAYABLE D3P D3P
34 27 NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. NINTENDO NINTENDO NINTENDO
40 28 NEED FOR SPEED: PROSTREET EA BLACK BOX EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS
23 29 COOKING MAMA 2 COOKING MAMA LIMITED 505 GAMES 505 GAMES
31 30 MARIO KART DS NINTENDO NINTENDO NINTENDO
- 31 LEGO STAR WARS: THE COMPLETE SAGA TRAVELLER'S TALES LUCASARTS LUCASARTS
32 32 SEGA SUPERSTARS TENNIS SUMO DIGITAL SEGA SEGA
- 33 SIGHT TRAINING NAMCO NINTENDO NINTENDO
27 34 RACE DRIVER: GRID CODEMASTERS CODEMASTERS CODEMASTERS
- 35 RAYMAN RAVING RABBIDS 2 UBISOFT (FRANCE) UBISOFT UBISOFT
- 36 TIGER WOODS PGA TOUR 08 EA SALT LAKE EA SPORTS ELECTRONIC ARTS
- 37 COOKING MAMA OFFICE CREATE 505 GAMES 505 GAMES
39 38 FOOTBALL MANAGER 2008 SPORTS INTERACTIVE SEGA SEGA
- 39 SPORTS ISLAND HUDSON HUDSON KONAMI
30 40 GUITAR HERO: AEROSMITH VICARIOUS VISIONS REDOCTANE ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

Separated formats etc, posted by Raist.

nli10

Link648099 said:
Wow, Wii Fit fought off soul calibur IV?

Edit: wait a minute, you sure those are correct?

Yup - I called it (I saw the higher Wii Fit shipments) :D

And don't let the two conflicting charts confuse you - All Formats combined top 40 is in the text and the units chart is what is typically posted here.

pswii60

Link648099 said:
Wow, Wii Fit fought off soul calibur IV?

Edit: wait a minute, you sure those are correct?
Yes. In individual formats, Wii Fit won. In all formats (ie PS3 + 360 version) SC IV beat Wii Fit.

Wii Fit will also beat at least a version of Soul Calibur IV in the USA, I predict.

Last week's restock was INSANE. Every store had some, and Gamestop even got two shipments. A week before that, Costco also restocked. July is gonna be huge for Wii Fit.

Raist

Banned
1zgyw5i.png

UK :

Ubisoft and Namco-Bandai welcome us back to the stage of history, ensuring that “the soul still burns” as ‘SoulCalibur IV’ debuts this week at No1 in the All Formats Chart.
It is the first All Formats No1 for the SoulCalibur franchise since ‘SoulCalibur II’ (GC, PS2 and Xbox) reached the summit for one week, back in September 2003. It has been almost 3 years since ‘SoulCalibur III’ was launched, only on PS2. Released on Xbox 360 and PS3 the long-anticipated sequel is the fastest selling in the franchise with the PS3 version outselling it’s PS2 predecessor’s launch week by more than 3 to 1. It is the fastest selling traditional beat-em up game to be launched on either PS3 or Xbox 360 (56% of sales were on Microsoft’s format) and marks a mini-revival for the genre after the recent success of Nintendo’s ‘Super Smash Bros. Brawl’ on Wii. Nintendo however have put up a good fight; despite dropping down to No2, ‘Wii Fit’ sales are up 35% on last week and sales of ‘Mario Kart Wii’, a non-mover at No3, are up 25%.
THQ’s ‘Wall-E’ drops 2 places to No4 – sales are slowing 3 weeks after the release of the film. THQ however can celebrate a strong showing from the hardware-bundled ‘Big Beach Sports’, up from No10 to No5, while former No1 ‘Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures’ moves in the opposite direction down from No5 to No10.

TOP 40 ENTERTAINMENT SOFTWARE - INDIVIDUAL FORMATS (UNITS) - Week 31, 2008

01 (01) [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo)
02 (02) [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)
03 (__) [360] Soulcalibur Iv (Ubisoft)
04 (07) [WII] Big Beach Sports (Thq)
05 (03) [NDS] Guitar Hero: On Tour (Activision Blizzard)
06 (__) [PS3] Soulcalibur Iv (Ubisoft)
07 (04) [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo)
08 (06) [NDS] Dr Kawashima's Brain Training (Nintendo)
09 (05) [WII] Super Smash Bros: Brawl (Nintendo)
10 (10) [WII] Carnival: Funfair Games (Take 2)
11 (08) [WII] Sports Party (Ubisoft)
12 (09) [NDS] Wall-e (Thq)
13 (15) [NDS] More Brain Training From Dr Kawashima (Nintendo)
14 (12) [WII] Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Games (Sega)
15 (13) [NDS] Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Games (Sega)
16 (11) [PS3] Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns Of The Patriots (Konami)
17 (14) [360] Battlefield: Bad Company (Electronic Arts)
18 (24) [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
19 (26) [WII] Guitar Hero Iii: Legends Of Rock (Activision Blizzard)
20 (29) [NDS] Kung Fu Panda (Activision Blizzard)
21 (16) [NDS] Cooking Mama 2 (505 Games)
22 (25) [360] Grand Theft Auto Iv (Take 2)
23 (21) [NDS] Mario Kart Ds (Nintendo)
24 (40) [NDS] Sight Training (Nintendo)
25 (20) [WII] Wall-e (Thq)
26 (__) [WII] Sports Island (Konami)
27 (30) [PS3] Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision Blizzard)
28 (19) [NDS] Lego Indiana Jones: Original Adventures (Lucasarts)
29 (22) [360] Beijing 2008 (Sega)
30 (38) [WII] Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 (Ubisoft)
31 (18) [NDS] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Darkness (Nintendo)
32 (31) [PS3] Beijing 2008 (Sega)
33 (__) [360] Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision Blizzard)
34 (17) [NDS] Touchmaster (Midway)
35 (32) [PS2] Wall-e (Thq)
36 (23) [NDS] Cooking Guide: Can't Decide What To Eat? (Nintendo)
37 (28) [NDS] Imagine: Babies (Ubisoft)
38 (27) [NDS] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Time (Nintendo)
39 (__) [NDS] 42 All-time Classics (Nintendo)
40 (37) [WII] Game Party (Midway)

e008ex.png

Alcibiades

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it the GAF consensus that GTA on PS3 would improve it's performance against the 360 version as time went on?

Seems like it's still performing strong (went up 3 positions this week) and the PS3 version is nowhere to be seen. If the PS3 and 360 monthly sales are about even now, what explains this disparity?

pswii60

Alcibiades said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it the GAF consensus that GTA on PS3 would improve it's performance against the 360 version as time went on?

Seems like it's still performing strong (went up 3 positions this week) and the PS3 version is nowhere to be seen. If the PS3 and 360 monthly sales are about even now, what explains this disparity?
Well, GAF consensus generally ends up being wrong. On everything.

A bit like the real world.

milanbaros

Member?
titiklabingapat said:
Wii Fit will also beat at least a version of Soul Calibur IV in the USA, I predict.

Last week's restock was INSANE. Every store had some, and Gamestop even got two shipments. A week before that, Costco also restocked. July is gonna be huge for Wii Fit.

Wii Fit's Chart run

1,3,3,3,40,-,-,11,29,3,4,1,1,1,1.

So far 5 weeks at #1. What's the record?

Also surprised to see M&S fall this week but it seems sales may be up across the board. I expect it to rise over the coming weeks.

szaromir

Banned
Alcibiades said:

It wasn't GAF consensus, it was MikeB's consensus.:lol

But yeah, this is a bit suspicious. Notice how it's #22 on 360 on individual formats chart and #21 on all formats chart. It's like the PS3 version wasn't selling at all... Maybe PS3 owners sensed crap and and are avoiding it now?;) Similarly, Bad Company is selling much much better on 360. OTOH Cock off Doody 4 is selling better on PS3. And MGS4 surely occupies BR drives in people's PS3s...

Jammy

Banned
I think this must be said for the effect to really be taken in... Only five games in that top 40 are on Sony systems. None are on PSP, one is on PS2 (Wall-e), and the PS3 games that are still up there with the exception of the Olympics game happen to be huge franchise games that cost millions and millions to make.

This path that Sony's been traveling this generation is certainly not a viable one, at least in a business sense.

What a difference two years can make.

How is the Olympics game doing? We know Mario and Sonic has sold buttloads, but how about the actual one? Has it been hovering around the 20's/30's the last few weeks? We'll probly see a boost for those soon, and we've also got a competing 'Summer Athletics' game from Eidos coming out in the next week or so.

Accident

_Alkaline_ said:
This is true, although we should take into account that in the US the 360 version was initially on top but consistency brought the Wii version to its current position. The Wii version has been charting better for a while now, so when it's all said and done I wouldn't be surprised to see the Wii version on top.

Guitar Hero was selling more on the 360 in the US until Rock Band was launched, having two games competing in the same genre might have something to do with it.

RobertM

Jammy said:
I think this must be said for the effect to really be taken in... Only five games in that top 40 are on Sony systems. None are on PSP, one is on PS2 (Wall-e), and the PS3 games that are still up there with the exception of the Olympics game happen to be huge franchise games that cost millions and millions to make.

This path that Sony's been traveling this generation is certainly not a viable one, at least in a business sense.

Welcome to 3 years ago.

FrankT

szaromir said:
It wasn't GAF consensus, it was MikeB's consensus.:lol

But yeah, this is a bit suspicious. Notice how it's #22 on 360 on individual formats chart and #21 on all formats chart. It's like the PS3 version wasn't selling at all... Maybe PS3 owners sensed crap and and are avoiding it now?;) Similarly, Bad Company is selling much much better on 360. OTOH Cock off Doody 4 is selling better on PS3. And MGS4 surely occupies BR drives in people's PS3s...

:lol

I said it then and I'll say it now the 360 version will have longer legs their and the US. When GTA IV was launched the 360 still had about a million lead on the PS3 at that point and that is a significant difference when you are talking 2 to 1 base. Same goes for the US with ~10.5 versus ~4.7. Quite a few more customers to make a sale to. These SC IV numbers are a little bit surprising to me, but not all that much either.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Jammy said:

What amazes me is how quickly PS2 software isn't selling. Looks like a lot of PS2 owners have picked their next gen console already.

DNF

Frillen said:
17 DS titles in the top 40. I think that's a new record!

NDS: 17
WII: 13
360: 5
PS3: 4
PS2: 1
PSP: 0

??? did this week already started a school-holiday ? damn, you uk-pupils have a lot of freetime

Top Bottom