• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 36, 2015

You could tell by the Amazon charts that Tearaway was just getting absolutely nowhere. Regardless of quality, it's an IP that's the video game equivalent of box office poison. MediaMolecule better be hoping Dreams is more like LittleBigPlanet and less like Tearaway when it comes to commercial prospects.

But hey, at least Until Dawn is lingering around still.

You could tell by the Amazon charts that Tearaway was just getting absolutely nowhere. Regardless of quality, it's an IP that's the video game equivalent of box office poison. MediaMolecule better be hoping Dreams is more like LittleBigPlanet and less like Tearaway when it comes to commercial prospects.

But hey, at least Until Dawn is lingering around still.

Tearaway got great mostly great reviews and could be preordered for less than £30 and it still bombed. I think its safe to say this will be the last Tearaway release (outwith character dlc)

Lucreto

Tearaway at number 19 is terrible for such a great game.

Hopefully it will get bundled with other titles over Christmas.

Hasney

I still don't know why they think it should come out around this time. Might have been a great summer game, but no. Head to head with Mario again, dwarfed by MGS and Mad Max coming out just before it and no marketing. It's pointless even making it under those circumstances.

EDIT: Saw it apparently had ads. God knows where.

madmackem

Went to buy mario maker in my city centre sold out in grainger games etc, he said it sold like crazy over the weekend. First time ive ever not got a game i wanted with it being sold out.

Raonak

Banned
Man, kojima fucked up bigtime making Fox Engine last gen compatible :/

should have put all their baskets into curr gen, but I guess no-one predicted such a sharp uptake in new consoles.

Footos22

Tearaway got great mostly great reviews and could be preordered for less than £30 and it still bombed. I think its safe to say this will be the last Tearaway release (outwith character dlc)

Still too much

Any remaster should be £25 or under.
Sony overpriced their remasters this gen.

I bought it last night for £21 + 15% cashback through bespoke offers beat my price/top cashback, so about £17 odd. Thats less than what i bought the vita game for on release day.

Got god of war 3 finally at same time for a grand total of £12 quid after 15% cashback,

Remasters should be budget library fillers not front line and centre with actual new stuff. It was £5 less than until dawn.

The only reason it bombed was its pricing, same for god of war 3.
Ms had the right idea with gears pricing.

Aye, there's no future for it. It got given a second chance on a more commercially viable platform and it managed to flop even harder. It's unfortunate, but there you go. The consumers just aren't biting.

Another very impressive hold for Until Dawn.

Tearaway bombing was expected, Sony did nothing to market the game... Felt more like a filler release than anything else.

Releasing at the wrong time didn't help matters either. Should have been an early summer title.

Rosur

Nice entry for Mario Maker (wonder how its legs will be) also not great for tearaway but should of been a summer game.

madmackem

Still too much

I bought it last night for £21 + 15% cashback through bespoke offers beat my price/top cashback, so about £17 odd. Thats less than what i bought the vita game for on release day.

Got god of war 3 finally at same time for a grand total of £12 quid after 15% cashback,

Remasters should be budget library fillers not front line and centre with actual new stuff. It was £5 less than until dawn.

Gears was £30 also.

Hasney

Nice entry for Mario Maker (wonder how its legs will be) also not great for tearaway but should of been a summer game.

Can't imagine it having great legs in the UK, probably slightly worse than Splatoon as I assume Mario is more front loaded. Other countries in Europe could have it do better.

Aye, there's no future for it. It got given a second chance on a more commercially viable platform and it managed to flop even harder. It's unfortunate, but there you go. The consumers just aren't biting.

They should have called the title 'Lego Tearaway' and it would have hit the top of the charts.

If I was Sony I would drop the price to £15 around Nov/Dec to get sales from parents picking up consoles and games for Christmas. Dropping to £15 gave LBP a jump in the charts for a few weeks.

But knowing kids today, they probably all want Battlefront and COD for Christmas.

Tearaway is one of the best platforming games I've ever played on SONY consoles.... to see that great amazing brilliant game bomb so hard breaks my heart :(

Alo0oy

Banned
Man, kojima fucked up bigtime making Fox Engine last gen compatible :/

should have put all their baskets into curr gen, but I guess no-one predicted such a sharp uptake in new consoles.

The PS3 version in Japan sold about ~4 times the XB1 version in the UK.

viHuGi

Banned
They should have called the title 'Lego Tearaway' and it would have hit the top of the charts.

If I was Sony I would drop the price to £15 around Nov/Dec to get sales from parents picking up consoles and games for Christmas. Dropping to £15 gave LBP a jump in the charts for a few weeks.

But knowing kids today, they probably all want Battlefront and COD for Christmas.

Probably??? It's not a probability.

Xando

Are there any platformers that are commercially successful and not from Nintendo?

kqz1pzs.gif

Stampy

So much about claimoring to port Tearaway to PS4.... :/

Arg, after Puppeteer and now to see this. Devestating results (although everything was pointing to it). I would really like to see financial results for these two games.

EGM1966

Still too much

I agree I don't think they're pricing these titles well. You could argue Tearaway isn't really a remaster so much as a remake but that's neither here nor there for general consumer, they know it's a game that was already released if they know it at all.

At say £20 price point it would be in a better place (although I don't think it was just price for Tearaway, it needed better marketing too and sadly I wonder if it's just too damn cute, quirky and colourful without a known name like Lego games for the market).

I wonder if the success of The Last Of Us Remastered at high price point drove a lot of Sony's thinking? I feel that game's success was more of an outlier vs a normal remaster/remake release and that GoW and others have been priced too high since to really make an impact.

Their current approach is likely limiting sales to just a small hardcore who really want the game again vs making it affordable enough to encourage new people to invest in the IP.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I don't see Tearaway as a failure in the context of what else is above it. Did people really believe it would beat MGSV, Disney Infinity (on all generation consoles), Mario Maker (an established franchise), Until Dawn (Youtubed to death with 4m views on Pewdiepie), Mad Max (a game based on an extremely popular film), TLOUR (bundled with every PS4), GTA5 (the biggest franchise in the world with legs like you wouldn't believe), Minecraft (well, it's Minecraft) ...

It was never going to be ahead of those titles. People's expectations for some games are just silly.

Alo0oy

Banned
Tearaway was made by 15 people, not that much bigger than your typical indie studio, so it could still be commercially successful by selling 200k WW.

Stampy

Tearaway was made by 15 people, not that much bigger than your typical indie studio, so it could still be commercially successful by selling 200k WW.

Hmm, you sure? Part of mm and Tarsier studios worked on it?

I would believe that more than 15 people was involved in making this game.

Tratorn

Well its development costs weren't really high of course, so they hopefully won't lose too much money on it or maybe even get to the break even.
Sony knows that such titles won't give them any money, it's just for prestige. As long as they don't lose millions every time they release such titles, they (hopefully) won't stop releasing them.

Alo0oy

Banned
How far back are we going? LBP and LBP2 did very well. LBP3 bombed at the time of release, but being an unfinished product pushed out at the wrong time of year didn't help.

The first two games didn't have a good launch either, they just sold well over a long period of time to reach 4.5 million.

gtj1092

The complete lack of advertising for tearaway convinced me it was only created to be apart of this year's holiday family bundle.

Top Bottom