• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 37, 2014

Kayant

PS4 sells more granted, but I wouldn't call it comfortable for them when compared to say Germany. It seems to me that Sony are doing very little to win the UK over.

Hmmmm...
PeQhyrV.png
p4dbC7h.png

How is this not winning over? When last gen it was the opposite.

Gavin996

Unconfirmed Member
The only real problem that Sony has in the UK right now is that the bottom has fallen out of the Xbox One, which means that it's getting some absurdly cheap bundles at the moment. PS4's momentum has stayed strong, though, so they don't really need to change the price. It'll be interesting to see how they combat this, but it's probably a good problem to have -- considering that the PS4 has sold steady at near to its original RRP, I imagine it will explode when they start coming up with competitive bundles again.

When I was trying to get my PS4 the bundles for it with Infamous Second Son sold out really quick, now it seems like they last a bit longer.
I still imagine it will remain at £350 for a while though.

iceatcs

PS4 sells more granted, but I wouldn't call it comfortable for them when compared to say Germany. It seems to me that Sony are doing very little to win the UK over.

Wat. PS4 never massive sold than Xbox One in UK, more likely less than 60:40.

UK is possible closest completion in the world, for between whereas other countries seem PS4 sell much more in difference.

Moonstone

Repost, since I posted this in last weeks thread in the same minute as Bruno made the new one:

Biu Sales Awards August (Germany)

100k+
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (Ubisoft / Ubisoft) - PC
Minecraft (Mojang / Mojang) - PS3
The Last of Us – Remastered (Sony / Naughty Dog) - PS4
Tomodachi Life (Nintendo / Nintendo) - 3DS
Total War: Rome 2 (Sega / The Creative Assembly) - PC

When I was trying to get my PS4 the bundles for it with Infamous Second Son sold out really quick, now it seems like they last a bit longer.
I still imagine it will remain at £350 for a while though.

Yeah, absolutely. What I'm saying is that if you go on Amazon right now you can get an Xbox One for £329 with FIFA 15. That bundle clearly only exists at that price because Microsoft is getting trounced, but it does give Sony a headache in that it suddenly now has the more "expensive" box -- purely because it's held its value a lot better than the Xbox One has.

They don't really need to do anything to combat it right now, and, like I say, it's a good problem to have, but it'll be interesting to see how they deal with it if the trend continues, because they're obviously not going to want to sacrifice the lead that they've built up -- especially not in the US and UK which are still very much "battlegrounds".

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Yeah, absolutely. What I'm saying is that if you go on Amazon right now you can get an Xbox One for £329 with FIFA 15. That bundle clearly only exists at that price because Microsoft is getting trounced, but it does give Sony a headache in that it suddenly now has the more "expensive" box -- purely because it's held its value a lot better than the Xbox One has.

They don't really need to do anything to combat it right now, and, like I say, it's a good problem to have, but it'll be interesting to see how they deal with it if the trend continues, because they're obviously not going to want to sacrifice the lead that they've built up -- especially not in the US and UK which are still very much "battlegrounds".

Yeah, the fight for the UK and the US is an important one but I think Sony would be satisfied with a draw this Christmas. Traditionally, the Xbox brand always outsold the PS brand in the last 6 weeks of the year, so an even spread would suffice to remain dominant going into the next 9 - 10 months that Sony traditionally dominate (in the last 4 - 5 years at least).

jakncoke

Banned
UK is Xbox land, Sony need to do more than Destiny marketing to win it over.

Which used to be PS2 land, I think it just goes to show the masses are willing to move from brand to brand for a lot various factors. Friend ecosystem probably being a decent reasoning. We know PS4 is at 1 million, So that potentially could be a lot of friends getting more friends to buy a PS4. I think Sony is and would very happy with how things are playing out and if they continue to play out. Going from down whatever million in UK last gen to being the #1 console in the region again, It doesnt have to be huge dominance or bust scenario.

Do we have latest ltd of last gen consoles. I found a article that has 360 at 8.4 and PS2 at 10 million as of Jun 13. Curious how close 360 gets or if it passes Ps2 ltd

http://metro.co.uk/2013/06/27/xbox-360-beats-wii-as-the-uks-best-selling-console-3858990/

spwolf

XB1 has had better pricing/bundle/deals for quite a while now... months.

The only real problem that Sony has in the UK right now is that the bottom has fallen out of the Xbox One, which means that it's getting some absurdly cheap bundles at the moment. PS4's momentum has stayed strong, though, so they don't really need to change the price. It'll be interesting to see how they combat this, but it's probably a good problem to have -- considering that the PS4 has sold steady at near to its original RRP, I imagine it will explode when they start coming up with competitive bundles again.

You could buy a brand new PS4 for £299.99 over the weekend. Not sure how much this really holds up. There have been similar deals over the past few weeks and months as well.

Usobuko

Banned
Repost, since I posted this in last weeks thread in the same minute as Bruno made the new one:

Biu Sales Awards August (Germany)

100k+
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (Ubisoft / Ubisoft) - PC
Minecraft (Mojang / Mojang) - PS3
The Last of Us – Remastered (Sony / Naughty Dog) - PS4
Tomodachi Life (Nintendo / Nintendo) - 3DS
Total War: Rome 2 (Sega / The Creative Assembly) - PC

100k+ for Tomodachi Life in Germany alone is amazing.

The comment that Sony needs to win over UK, it already has, it's apparently sold 400k more than XBO so far.

As for Destiny, I would have thought of a bigger gap between PS4/XBO, but when you look at the UK chart there are 6 PS4 games and only a single XBO game in the top 15. (11vs6 in the Top 40.)

I think looking at the charts week in and week out, the PS4 version of Destiny should have long legs, and if it follows most other PS4 games would stay above the XBO version. So the gap in sales will continue.

Would be interesting to see how many PS4 bundles were sold, because it wouldn't surprise me if Sony users had been buying different games in the charts (as shown) and XBO users were mainly buying Destiny. That would account for the gap only being 10%. - though as I said, this gap will probably increase over time.

Huh. I wasn't expecting sales to be so close to Watch_Dogs considering the PS4 bundle, the free game promotion on the Xone, and the higher install base now compared to a few months ago. Activision probably isn't complaining though.

Also, the Xone version of Destiny didn't sell much more than Titanfall, despite people being able to get the game for free along with a $399 bundle with another free game?

Gavin996

Unconfirmed Member

I think people may still see the PS4 as the cheaper one, even if they are offically the same price now.
But I agree, it will be interesting to see what happens.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Where does the news that Destiny < Battlefield come from?

Quentyn

Mario007

The comment that Sony needs to win over UK, it already has, it's apparently sold 400k more than XBO so far.

As for Destiny, I would have thought of a bigger gap between PS4/XBO, but when you look at the UK chart there are 6 PS4 games and only a single XBO game in the top 15. (11vs6 in the Top 40.)

I think looking at the charts week in and week out, the PS4 version of Destiny should have long legs, and if it follows most other PS4 games would stay above the XBO version. So the gap in sales will continue.

Would be interesting to see how many PS4 bundles were sold, because it wouldn't surprise me if Sony users had been buying different games in the charts (as shown) and XBO users were mainly buying Destiny. That would account for the gap only being 10%. - though as I said, this gap will probably increase over time.
Again the gap between Xbone version and PS4 is not 10% but 30%. Ps4 version sold 30% more units than Xbone.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So, is the 400,000 estimate for Destiny a good one, in the end?

noobie

Banned
That figure is different from mine because is upweighted to 100%.

I normally do all calculations based on the figures Famitsu used to publish (UK monthly top 10) which weren't upweighted.

368,000 / 0.9 = 409,000 (I was wrong by 2,000 units :p)

can you give the list of top 16 or 20?

Bruno MB

So, is the 400,000 estimate for Destiny a good one, in the end?

I'm completely sure that that estimate is extremely close to the real number, if I wasn't I wouldn't post it. Both Watch Dogs and Battlefield 3 estimates are based on real numbers published by Famitsu and the only thing I have to do is to follow the information given by Chart-Track, the margin of error is very small in this case.

Non upweighted (95%)

Destiny - 400,000

Upweighted (100%)

Destiny - 421,000 (I never do this because it's confusing)

can you give the list of top 16 or 20?

I'd gladly do it if I had that information.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Got it. Thanks, Solidsnakex and Bruno MB.

Given this estimate, then, we have

Destiny PS4 (46%) - 184,000
Destiny One (36%) - 144,000
Destiny 360 (14%) - 56,000
Destiny PS3 (4%) - 16,000

I think he meant Sony, not Activision since he's talking about split. He's gotta be, right?

In some ways i'd say those sales are disappointing. In terms of the budget of the game and the marketing campaign, destiny has had as much weight thrown behind it as basically any other game in history. Taking that into account i can see how they can be viewed as a disappointment.

Of course this is a new IP and the idea is to continue to grow the franchise with future installments. Also it's still early in this gen so destiny might show some pretty good legs.

KooopaKid

Banned
Got it. Thanks, Solidsnakex and Bruno MB.

Given this estimate, then, we have

Destiny PS4 (46%) - 184,000
Destiny One (36%) - 144,000
Destiny 360 (14%) - 56,000
Destiny PS3 (4%) - 16,000

Those last gen sales are not good. Do you think the vast majority of hardcore gamers that owned 360 or PS3 moved to One and PS4 already? If yes, does that means the casual crowd is not interested in Destiny at all?

NHale

80% next-gen vs 20% old-gen. That's the most interesting statistic to watch.

But with Destiny being marketed as PS4 game (even MS only mentioned it as coming to Xbox One) it was expected to happen.

Let's see what will happen with the biggest games that everyone knows they are coming to every platform and don't need any marketing to teach them about platform availability: FIFA and COD.

If the 80% vs 20% maintains, it's game over for PS3/X360 (unless US is completely different). I expect it to be a lot more closer PS4+X1 = 60% vs PS3+X360 = 40%. But if some publisher is now making decisions about a new IP or even a new game in a series without big market awareness, it would be smart to focus on PS4+XB1 only. Having to develop a game to fit PS3/X360 will always be a design limitation and I hope it goes away quickly.

NHale

Wonder what the DD sales for destiny are .

In the UK? Very low considering that is very overpriced compared to retail.

Maybe people "imported" a digital copy via the US Store because it's 20% cheaper? I guess some people like myself did that but I would bet it's nothing significant.

I'm completely sure that that estimate is extremely close to the real number, if I wasn't I wouldn't post it. Both Watch Dogs and Battlefield 3 estimates are based on real numbers published by Famitsu and the only thing I have to do is to follow the information given by Chart-Track, the margin of error is very small in this case.

Non upweighted (95%)

Destiny - 400,000

Upweighted (100%)

Destiny - 421,000 (I never do this because it's confusing)

I'd gladly do it if I had that information.

what is this "upweighted" stuff all about?

BKK

Chart-Track reports don't upweight individual software sales to 100% of the market, they only include sales from the stores they track;

http://web.archive.org/web/20120131...ack.co.uk/assets/files/c/consolegenre_191.pdf
All sales figures represent our estimate of sales through the listed outlets.
&#8226; Value reports are based on RRP to June 2002 and ASP from July 2002.
&#8226; Companies who are particularly strong in outlets not sampled are understated as a consequence of the panel structure.
&#8226; As of January 2005 the Chart-Track panel is estimated to be around 90% of the UK retail market (85% July 2002 - December 2004 and 80% pre-July 2002).
&#8226; The price shown against each product includes VAT and is an average across the month.
&#8226; Please note that December 2004 was a six week month instead of the usual 5 weeks.

http://web.archive.org/web/20120131....co.uk/assets/files/q/quarterlytrends_190.pdf

Chart-Track Market Coverage Estimates;
Code:
         1996 1997 1998-Q2/2002 Q3/2002-Q4/2004 2005-2014 2014

Console  0.70 0.70     0.75          0.85          0.90   0.95
Computer 0.75 0.80     0.80          0.85          0.90   0.95

FIFA 15 PS4 over FIFA 15 XOne!?

I wasn't shocked at the Madden one but THIS!? Now this is just scary, and sad for Microsoft.

Hardly surprising, PS4 has pretty much already established itself as the "multiplatform" machine of this generation.

Well except for Call of Duty XD.

Actually, on Amazon UK, the new PS4 COD is currently at #68 and the X1 SKU at #88 (for the whole year). Doesn't really mean anything until we're a lot closer to launch, but just wanted to throw that out there.

Anyways, yeah, there will always be one or two franchises that might be more associated with one machine, but the overall trend is pretty clear.

Top Bottom