• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 37, 2015

Alo0oy

Banned
18 PS4 games... this chart is looking to be like Germany one lol

Not really, Xbox is still charting in the top 10 where the majority of the sales are, its problem in Germany is that when it charts, it does below the top 20, where software sales are insignificant.

The actual Tearaway Unfolded sales number shocked me. People saying it wasn't marketed - there was a double page spread in the Metro on Friday. I am tempted but I'm at 97% on the Vita version and have no real desire to start over again despite the remixed features

If you want an indication of how formats are doing relatively this year? Unit sales per format share for Year to date

PS4 35.6%
XO 21.0%
X360 12.9%
WIIU 11.4%
PS3 7.9%
3DS 4.6%
PC 4.0%

So PS4 is almost selling double the software XBone is? And XBone is only double WiiU?

Toro

Banned
Releasing a TV Ad doesn't really mean much. How many times did it air? If they really wanted to market it they should have shown it at E3.
lmao... dat real marketing with an E3 trailer. Forget all the ads on TV, shops, and so on. A single E3 trailer is what it's all about to convince the mums and dads to buy this game for their kids. You hear me, big publishers?
It's just a mediocre artsy platformer. It doesn't have anything to offer from a gameplay perspective aside from some gimmicks. Visually it's ok of course. But that's not enough to make it sell.

Tearaway looked more like a technical demo that would show gameplay possibilities thanks to Vita touch screen, microphone and whatever than an actual game with people in mind, that's why I said that.
Oh, so you simply don't like the game and are trashing it. Explains it all.
Still no reason to claim it didn't get any marketing.

I also don't understand what made them think a game that failed horribly on Vita would somehow find success on PS4, with barely any changes.
Unfolded is like what? Around 50% different than the VITA version? But dayum, you're right. It still the same game. They should have changed the genre and added some weapons and real racing cars. Guaranteed blockbuster.

Caronte

Unfolded is like what? Around 50% different than the VITA version? But dayum, you're right. It still the same game. They should have changed the genre and added some weapons and real racing cars. Guaranteed blockbuster.

Adding content is not changing the game, just adding more of the same. If people weren't interested in the Vita version they are not going to get excited because "Oh, my! 50% of the game is actually new!".

lmao... dat real marketing with an E3 trailer. Forget all the ads on TV, shops, and so on. A single E3 trailer is what it's all about to convince the mums and dads to buy this game for their kids. You hear me, big publishers?

That's why parents or kids didn't pay any attention to all the E3s Nintendo made during the Wii right? And their Nintendo Directs. Also, Disney is dumb for wanting Kingdom Hearts III and Disney Infinity on Sony's stage. lol dummy publishers, only Serious Hardcore Gamers™ watch E3, amirite?

And I don't dislike the game. I simply do not care about it like most of the world.

Hasney

Code:
14 (07) [B]PS3 METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN (KONAMI)[/B]
15 (09) PS4 MINECRAFT: PLAYSTATION EDITION (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
16 (10) PS4 BATMAN: ARKHAM KNIGHT (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
17 (23) PS4 DYING LIGHT (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
18 (26) WIU SPLATOON (NINTENDO)
19 (NE) [B]PS4 TEARAWAY UNFOLDED (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)[/B]

Last week the PlayStation 3 version of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain sold around 5,000 units, Chart-Track tells us that sales dropped by 78% (all versions combined), normally last-gen versions tend to have softer drops, at least for these kind of big releases. To be on the safe side let's say its sales dropped by 65-70%, this would mean that this week it sold around 1,500 - 1,800 units, and Tearaway Unfolded is 5 places below so...

Jesus....

The actual Tearaway Unfolded sales number shocked me. People saying it wasn't marketed - there was a double page spread in the Metro on Friday. I am tempted but I'm at 97% on the Vita version and have no real desire to start over again despite the remixed features

If you want an indication of how formats are doing relatively this year? Unit sales per format share for Year to date

PS4 35.6%
XO 21.0%
X360 12.9%
WIIU 11.4%
PS3 7.9%
3DS 4.6%
PC 4.0%

I could've sworn 360 and PS3 were solidly 3rd and 4th last time...did that really change so much since jvm's last chart?

edit: yeah I'm not being crazy here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1083623

6XuSQZr.png

noobie

Banned

PS4 35.6%
XO 21.0%
X360 12.9%
WIIU 11.4%
PS3 7.9%
3DS 4.6%
PC 4.0%
These are some impressive numbers. I didn't expect to see PS4 having such a commanding lead especially when their major title for spring like the order 1886 didn't show much sales.

I m sad that Nintendo doesn't provide Europe top 20 with numbers. Those numbers used to be quite telling at times

EGM1966

Tearaway looked more like a technical demo that would show gameplay possibilities thanks to Vita touch screen, microphone and whatever than an actual game with people in mind, that's why I said that.

And no, LBP and Tearaway are way different. LBP main selling point was the level creator, not the artstyle.

I'm talking about demographics which you clearly missed. I didn't say they're similar (although actually there's a lot of create your own look in Tearaway) I said that stylistically they clearly seem to be designed for the same demographic (interested in stylistic 3D psuedo platformer with quirkly art style and music selection and optional elements of self creation (LBP takes it a lot further of course).

Their new game seems to be very much from the same mould too. They're clearly interested in exploring ways to celebrate creativity and the "art" of gaming while pushing self creation and publishing. I love their apparent passion and like the games (although they have issues of course like most titles) but on the evidence the market either isn't getting the message (pun intended) or the market is a lot less than they think.

Looking at LEGO titles sales, even allowing for the use of hugely popular franchise IP, I'd say there's a decent market for their games but they've struggled a bit.

To be fair Tearaway initially was hobbled by being on the Vita and the audience just not being there while the remake/remaster looks to be hobbled by having released first on the Vita and having a general "meh" attitude due to its poor sales previously.

Shame as despite some control/camera flaws (PS4 version) it remains overall a very well crafted experience with some decent gameplay and a very cool art style.

The point remains the game wasn't some generic title aimed at no-one. If anything Tearaway couldn't be further from a generic no particular audience title other than belonging to a genre.

The audience just wasn't there or didn't/don't know about the title. I think more the former. I suspect the title just looks too quirky, gives the impression of style over substance and is launching right amongst a wave of big, adult rated AAA titles that have simply sucked all the air out the room for a title like this.

I also think they priced it too high for what will seem to many to be a re-release (new content or not). It really needed a £20 / $20 dollar price tag IMHO to broader the potential number of impulse buyers willing to give it a try and that price point. Now it's tarred with another weak launch that will probably limit legs.

It'll probably recoup costs (it couldn't have been that costly to port/expand) but it's certainly not caught hold of the market in any notable way.

These are some impressive numbers. I didn't expect to see PS4 having such a commanding lead especially when their major title for spring like the order 1886 didn't show much sales.

I m sad that Nintendo doesn't provide Europe top 20 with numbers. Those numbers used to be quite telling at times

Yeah I miss those. Very informative those charts were.

Toro

Banned
Adding content is not changing the game, just adding more of the same.
Yes, more of the same great stuff which made Tearaway on the Vita already a great game.

If people weren't interested in the Vita version they are not going to get excited because "Oh, my! 50% of the game is actually new!".
Amazing logic. Maybe a lot of these people didn't buy Tearaway, because they didn't want to extra buy a Vita for it, or don't like handheld gaming, and so on?

That's why parents or kids didn't pay any attention to all the E3s Nintendo made during the Wii right? And their Nintendo Directs. Also, Disney is dumb for wanting Kingdom Hearts III and Disney Infinity on Sony's stage. lol dummy publishers, only Serious Hardcore Gamers™ watch E3, amirite?
Nope. But a big part of these people are gamers. Parents (for example) which aren't gamers, surely won't watch it. And if you really believe a simple E3 trailer is even close to be as effective as a TV ad, then you're clearly out of your mind.

And I don't dislike the game. I simply do not care about it like most of the world.
Damn, now you owned me. I must commit seppuku. It is the only honorable thing to do.

Caronte

Yes, more of the same great stuff which made Tearaway on the Vita already a great game.

More of the same of what made the game bomb.

Amazing logic. Maybe a lot of these people didn't buy Tearaway, because they didn't want to extra buy a Vita for it, or don't like handheld gaming, and so on?

That's why the game bombed again on PS4. Yes, your logic is far superior.

I'm tired of this conversation anyway. Good day.

Bruno MB

No Germany chart yet?

01. (NE) Super Mario Maker (Wii U)
02. (01) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - Day One Edition (PlayStation 4)
03. (03) Until Dawn (PlayStation 4)
04. (02) Mad Max (PlayStation 4)
05. (18) The Last Of Us (Remastered) (PlayStation 4)
06. (22) The Order: 1886 (PlayStation 4)
07. (07) Grand Theft Auto V (PlayStation 4)
08. (05) Mortal Kombat X (PlayStation 4)
09. (06) One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 (PlayStation 4)
10. (04) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - Day One Edition (Xbox One)

60. (NE) Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX (Nintendo 3DS)
91. (NE) Viking Saga 3: Episches Abenteuer (PC)

Loudninja

Thanks! Until Dawn doing well and Glad to see The Order so far up the chart.

Bruno MB

Europe report for the first half of the year is in this week's issue of Gamesmarkt!!!

New thread with all info coming soon.

Meanwhile, here's a little tease:

01. Grand Theft Auto V - 2.354.391
10. Bloodborne - 406.372
12. The Order: 1886 - 368.954

Loudninja

Europe report for the first half of the year is in this week's issue of Gamesmarkt!!!

10. Bloodborne - 406.372
Cool thanks!

Paganmoon

10. Bloodborne - 406.372

The Order Redeemed! Sequel incoming! Right?

jayu26

10. Bloodborne - 406.372

So those are just German numbers?

How much did Project Diva do in Germany?

viHuGi

Banned

10. Bloodborne - 406.372

Bloodborne and The Order!!!

Amazing sales for new Ips.

GTA again and FIFA at 2nd is a given, that or AW.

jaina

So those are just German numbers?
No, Europe (at least the tracked countries)

The thresholds for the German BIU sales awards give an idea how many copies the heavy hitters usually sell there:
- Gold: 100k SKU
- Platinum: 200k SKU
- Special award: 500k SKU
- multi-plat award: 500k all platform SKUs

Paganmoon

Who knows with this and that 1 month of sales from NPD and a few weeks of Media create its about 600k.

Thing is, Bloodborne is being hailed as such a success, but only sold 40k more than The Order, so either 600-700k is good, or Bloodborne isn't the success people thought it was?

Then again, Bloodborne might've sold better than expected, and The Order might've expected to break a million easy.

I'm still holding out hope for a sequel (as I'm still holding out hope for Heavenly Sword 2, it's coming... right?).

Loudninja

Thing is, Bloodborne is being hailed as such a success, but only sold 40k more than The Order, so either 600-700k is good, or Bloodborne isn't the success people thought it was?

Then again, Bloodborne might've sold better than expected, and The Order might've expected to break a million easy.

I'm still holding out hope for a sequel (as I'm still holding out hope for Heavenly Sword 2, it's coming... right?).
We know Bloorborne sold atleast 2 million WW so thats great.

Or Bloodborne sold much more in other parts of the world.

Rymuth

1) Bloodborne sold 2 million
2) Bloodborne cost nowhere near The Order which required the R&D of a brand new engine as well as mo-cap costs.

Context, my friend. Context matters.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Or Bloodborne sold much more in other parts of the world.

It's also to be considered that these are numbers up to the end of June; we don't exactly know how much the game sold between July and, well, yesterday, when it was announced it reached 2 millions copies sold.

Paganmoon

We know Bloorborne sold atleast 2 million WW so thats great.

Selling 2 million WW, but only 400k in Europe. Uncommon isn't it?

1) Bloodborne sold 2 million
2) Bloodborne cost nowhere near The Order which required the R&D of a brand new engine as well as mo-cap costs.

Context, my friend. Context matters.

Ready at Dawn isn't a very big studio afaik. Not sure we're talking outrageous costs of development here.

jayu26

It's also to be considered that these are numbers up to the end of June; we don't exactly know how much the game sold between July and, well, yesterday, when it was announced it reached 2 millions copies sold.

What could it do realistically? 100K-150K max? North America seems to be pulling bulk of the share for that game.

Neither game likely had legs outside of bundles; for all the talk about The Order's collapse 2nd month in NPD, Bloodborne's % drop wasn't much better.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Actually, I didn't watch Sony pre-TGS conference from the beginning, so this is probably something I'm not aware of, but did they specify if Bloodborne's sales are sell-in or sell-through?

Rymuth

Umm we dont know the price of either of these games.
We dont but we can use our heads and apply simple logic. You telling me a game that required the cost of developing a brand new engine alongside its own development would be equal to that of a game that didnt? After all the money troubles we've seen from FoxEngine, Luminous and Panta Rhei?

I remember Shinobi talking to RAD insiders about it.

Loudninja

Ohh I like to see how much DriveClub Sold since it sold over 2 million as well.

Also we must not forget digital sales as well.

Top Bottom