• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 4, 2008

Raist

Banned
wotter said:
They are in Belgium though in some shops. Saw a ps3 + 2 sixaxis + ratchet + uncharted for €459 earlier today :).

holy shit, that's an awesome deal. It's 499€ in portugal D:

Raist

Banned
No sign of french week 3 early top 5, I guess they're slowly starting to lose track again. Full charts for week 2 should be coming soon.

Quick question : what kind of charts would you guys prefer to see for the UK data ?
So far we're using the Format specific, by Units chart. It's not perfect of course, and not really homogenous with the rest of chart track's data, since we only have All Formats All prices for the Irish charts for instance. For denmark we have both all price and full price. For most other countries tho, it's the same stuff, format specific.

Of course, following the links in the UK data you can find all the infos you want (even charts for each console by clicking the links on the consoles' names in the charts), but I just wanted to know whether you'd like to see another kind of chart in the OP. Keep in mind that PAL charts have gotten pretty big thanks to everyone's contribution, so we can't really post the details from all kind of UK chart formats in the OP. We should just stick to one of them.

dabra

France :
week 2, 2008

01 (01) [WII] Wii play (Nintendo)
02 (02) [WII] Super Mario galaxy (Nintendo)
03 (03) [NDS] Dr Kawashima's Brain Training (Nintendo)
04 (07) [NDS] More Brain Training from Dr Kawashima (Nintendo)
05 (11) [WII] Mario Party 8 (Nintendo)
06 (08) [NDS] TLoZ : Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo)
07 (09) [PS3] Assassin's Creed (Ubisoft)
08 (13) [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
09 (15) [WII] TLoZ : Twilight Princess (Nintendo)
10 (16) [PS3] Uncharted : Drake's Fortune (SCE)
11 (18) [PS3] PES 2008 (Konami)
12 (09) [NDS] The Sims 2 : Castaway (Electronic Arts)
13 (10) [PS3] Call of Duty 4 : Modern Warfare (Activision)
14 (05) [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
15 (19) [WII] Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree (Nintendo)
16 (13) [PS2] PES 2008 (Konami)
17 (__) [PS3] NFS : Pro Street (Electronic Arts)
18 (14) [NDS] My Sims (Electronic Arts)
19 (__) [360] Call of Duty 4 : Modern Warfare (Activision)
20 (17) [NDS] Super Mario 64 DS (Nintendo)

Dascu

dabra said:
France :
week 2, 2008

01 (01) [WII] Wii play (Nintendo)
02 (02) [WII] Super Mario galaxy (Nintendo)
03 (03) [NDS] Dr Kawashima's Brain Training (Nintendo)
04 (07) [NDS] More Brain Training from Dr Kawashima (Nintendo)
06 (08) [NDS] TLoZ : Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo)
07 (09) [PS3] Assassin's Creed (Ubisoft)
08 (13) [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
15 (19) [WII] Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree (Nintendo)
:O

Raist

Banned
87m2hiv.png

France :
Week 2, 2008http://www.gamekult.com/blog/marchi...+au+13+janvier+2008+Uncharted+vit+encore.html

01 (01) [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo)
02 (02) [WII] Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo)
03 (03) [NDS] Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training (Nintendo)
04 (04) [NDS] More Brain Training from Dr. Kawashima (Nintendo)
06 (06) [NDS] TLoZ : Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo)
07 (07) [PS3] Assassin's Creed (Ubisoft)
08 (08) [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
15 (19) [NDS] Big Brain Academy : Wii Degree (Nintendo)

Titles per platform :
NDS - 9
PS3 - 5
WII - 4
PS2 - 1
360 - 1

Things of note :
- Wii Play, SMG, and Dr Kawashima still hanging in the top. Insane legs.
- Uncharted climbs up again after last week's drop. First time in Top 10. GO NATE.
- My Sims still there. Jeebus.
- Twilight, wtf ?
- 360 lives. Well it tries.
- Quite nice sales for the PS3. Europe's best market for Sony's next gen ? Looks like it is.

edit : ban dabra plz.
j/k :p

Doc Evils

Raist said:
87m2hiv.png

France :
Week 2, 2008http://www.gamekult.com/blog/marchi...+au+13+janvier+2008+Uncharted+vit+encore.html

Titles per platform :
NDS - 9
PS3 - 5
WII - 4
PS2 - 1
360 - 1

Things of note :
- Uncharted climbs up again after last week's drop. First time in Top 10. GO NATE.
- Twilight, wtf ?
- Quite nice sales for the PS3. Europe's best market for Sony's next gen ? Looks like it is.

PS3's first xmas has benefited it a lot, since a lot of new buyers are wanting to try new games out and has helped boost PS3 games.

Wollan

I think it's a really smart move by Sony to drop GT5P just a couple of weeks before GTA4 releases. While I would like the game now, releasing it closer to GTA4 is going to get them a lot of attention.

Loudninja

1 - nieuw - 1 BURNOUT/PARADISE (PS3) ELECTRONIC ARTS
2 - 1 - 8 MARIO & SONIC OLYMPIC GAMES (Wii) SEGA
3 - 1 - nieuw BURNOUT/PARADISE (Xbox 360) ELECTRONIC ARTS
4 - 2 - 10 SUPER MARIO GALAXY (Wii) NINTENDO
5 - 3 - 10 CALL OF DUTY 4/MODERN WARFARE (PS3) ACTIVISION
6 - 4 - 11 CALL OF DUTY 4/MODERN WARFARE (PC) ACTIVISION
7 - 7 - 11 ASSASSIN'S CREED (PS3) UBISOFT
8 - 5 - 11 CALL OF DUTY 4/MODERN WARFARE (Xbox 360) ACTIVISION
9 - nieuw - 1GUITAR HERO 3/LEGENDS OF ROCK (Wii) ACTIVISION
10 - 9 - 13 MARIO PARTY 8 (Wii)
Have this been posted?

http://www.dutchcharts.nl/game_charts.asp

Darji

Banned
Raist said:
87m2hiv.png

France :

Titles per platform :
NDS - 9
PS3 - 5
WII - 4
PS2 - 1
360 - 1

Things of note :
- Twilight, wtf ?

nice sales for the PS3 and uncharted goes on and on. ^^

Action Jackson said:
Playing the troll card quickly I see. I just wanted to point out that its mainly PS2/Wii/DS that make it onto the console charts. The userbase of the PS3 isn't big enough yet to support Uncharted when there is also games like CoD and AC available.

edit: uncharted finally on the german charts - awesome! The game deserves it.

Well you should watch more tv then :p
Seriously, AC received a lot of hype prerelease and I remember that there were plenty of ads and tv spots. You can hardly argue that AC was badly marketed.

TR also has a big following among the PC crowd, since Uncharted isn't available for PC this would to me at least partly explain the lack of awareness for the game.
I just went by what you said, which was more aking to the quality of the games represented on the charts.

I'm not saying AC was badly marketed - after all "that woman" and "her" game even made the KulturSpiegel frontpage. I was merely pointing out that Uncharted's ad campaign was indeed massive.

AC isn't on PC yet as well, and like I said, I saw more TV ads for Uncharted on the week after release than for a single game before that.

Apparently word of mouth helped more than ads though. And I'm glad the game enjoys at least a bit of success - the gaming world could use more brighter games with less gaming stereotypes.

Raist said:
It's quite puzzling that, except UK and France, Uncharted is starting to show up in the charts only now. It's been out for a month and a half. Word of mouth ?

Now since we don't have hard numbers for SW sales, it could be that it always sold pretty good, but there were games during its first month that sold better, ie it doesn't really sell much better but is charted now because other games dropped.

Thoughts ?
I'd guess it's both. Word of mouth helped it to gain some numbers and post-holidays makes it easier to gain position in the charts.

Raist said:
Quick question : what kind of charts would you guys prefer to see for the UK data ?
Units.

Lightning

Banned
Uncharted FTW. Now people can take their 'bombed' comments and shove them right up their collective asses and not jump the gun next time.

Phife Dawg said:
I just went by what you said, which was more aking to the quality of the games represented on the charts.
Just a misunderstanding then :D

Phife Dawg said:
I'm not saying AC was badly marketed - after all "that woman" and "her" game even made the KulturSpiegel frontpage. I was merely pointing out that Uncharted's ad campaign was indeed massive.
AC marketing is what I would call massive with all that Jade Hype, exclusivity rumors, and mass media coverage. I would rather compare Uncharteds marketing with R&C.

Phife Dawg said:
AC isn't on PC yet as well, and like I said, I saw more TV ads for Uncharted on the week after release than for a single game before that.
The difference is that AC will be on PC eventually and it got a lot of favourable coverage from the german PC-Mags which helped to keep the hype for the game going.

Phife Dawg said:
Apparently word of mouth helped more than ads though. And I'm glad the game enjoys at least a bit of success - the gaming world could use more brighter games with less gaming stereotypes.
Agreed.

Couple of questions guys.

Was it confirmed that other european countries were getting Spain-Portugal new Starter Pack? iirc, when they started bundling Resistance and Motorstorm, both titles went up in the charts, so it'd be interesting to see how Uncharted and R&C do after Week 4.

2nd one, has PS3 had any important 3rd party exclusive title? I always thought that PS3 would gain perception over 360 when exclusives titles appeared...but it has done that with multiplatform titles. Unsurprisingly its UK leading 360 sales, but its kinda surprising to me how quick has PS3 turned other markets into its favour, I thought 360 was going to be a little more tough to beat.

spwolf

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

Was it confirmed that other european countries were getting Spain-Portugal new Starter Pack? iirc, when they started bundling Resistance and Motorstorm, both titles went up in the charts, so it'd be interesting to see how Uncharted and R&C do after Week 4.

2nd one, has PS3 had any important 3rd party exclusive title? I always thought that PS3 would gain perception over 360 when exclusives titles appeared...but it has done that with multiplatform titles. Unsurprisingly its UK leading 360 sales, but its kinda surprising to me how quick has PS3 turned other markets into its favour, I thought 360 was going to be a little more tough to beat.

if it is as before, Uncharted and RC are in the PS3 box, and hence not counted. It is different in UK where you can pick and chose your game...

Action Jackson said:
Just a misunderstanding then :D

AC marketing is what I would call massive with all that Jade Hype, exclusivity rumors, and mass media coverage. I would rather compare Uncharteds marketing with R&C.

The difference is that AC will be on PC eventually and it got a lot of favourable coverage from the german PC-Mags which helped to keep the hype for the game going.

Agreed.
Yeah, since we're on NeoGAF I assumed the worst, sorry for that.

The hype for AC was definitely bigger, but the ad campaign itself was - judging by my personal experience - bigger for Uncharted. Ubi knew how to hype a game, that's for sure.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

Haven't heard anything about it, nor did I see it. There are retailer bundles out there here in Germany though.

There are only few third party exclusives nowadays. Are you expecting big numbers of important third party titles to be exclusive to PS3 in the foreseeable future? And why would you have thought 360 would be tough to beat in Europe?

Phife Dawg said:
Haven't heard anything about it, nor did I see it. There are retailer bundles out there here in Germany though.

There are only few third party exclusives nowadays. Are you expecting big numbers of important third party titles to be exclusive to PS3 in the foreseeable future? And why would you have thought 360 would be tough to beat in Europe?
Precisely because the lack of exclusives, I thought it'd be more like US where 360 head start, lower price and multiplatform games wouldn't help PS3 close the gap (as it would, for example, having GTA4 as a time exclusive). I don't remember right now any big 3rd party game coming soon exclusively to PS3 other than MGS4, and thats not really soon...

carlosp

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:

not from western developers expect HAZE ( :lol ) but there will be tones of exclusives for the Japanese market and some have been already confirmed since we only have two systems down in japan. However i expect some wester 3rd party exclusive games for the european market. We need to see how 08 is going for sony. If it is as strong as many expect it to be then the 3rd party exclusives will come their way.

ziran

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

360 has failed to expand upon the Xbox legacy, in the sense it's popular in the same regions/countries and a failure in the same regions/countries, which was obvious throughout last year even from the minimal sales info we were getting officially.

Really, PS3 being the 2nd place system in Europe was clear, I expected more from you ;)

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Precisely because the lack of exclusives, I thought it'd be more like US where 360 head start, lower price and multiplatform games wouldn't help PS3 close the gap (as it would, for example, having GTA4 as a time exclusive). I don't remember right now any big 3rd party game coming soon exclusively to PS3 other than MGS4, and thats not really soon...
But the lack of success of the 360 (sans UK) in Europe, despite having a headstart made it pretty obvious that PS3 would close the gap very soon - regardless of third party games. Just like it won't close the gap in the US anytime soon (if ever) - regardless of whether the plethora of games will be released on the PS3 as well.

carlosp said:
not from western developers expect HAZE ( :lol ) but there will be tones of exclusives for the Japanese market and some have been already confirmed since we only have two systems down in japan. However i expect some wester 3rd party exclusive games for the european market. We need to see how 08 is going for sony. If it is as strong as many expect it to be then the 3rd party exclusives will come their way.
Kurosaki was talking about important third party exclusives though - even games aimed at the japanese market like DW have seen a release on 360. That may or may not change in the future but as long as exclusive development doesn't bring a lot of benefits (like better gfx) it could still be more effective to just port your game, even if it sells "only" 50k copies more.

And I doubt there are a lot of games coming to PS3 exclusively, that are aimed at the European market. There aren't a lot of important games aimed at the European market anyways and those that are are mostly strategy games, a genre which doesn't lend itself favorably to console users.

Microsoft had everything going for them, but messed up with the quality on the console. Without RLOD, maybe the 360 would've been at least 100 euros cheaper by now, and things would've looked a lot different.

ziran said:
360 has failed to expand upon the Xbox legacy, in the sense it's popular in the same regions/countries and a failure in the same regions/countries, which was obvious throughout last year even from the minimal sales info we were getting officially.

Really, PS3 being the 2nd place system in Europe was clear, I expected more from you ;)
:p I'm just a little surprised that it took little time and effort to see it happening. I thought PS3 wouldn't be that 'sweet' for the mass market, at least not that much sweeter than 360.

(I'll blame GAF. They blurred my perception with their pricing, gaming, hdtv, blu-ray, skus issues. Somehow :D)

carlosp

Banned
Phife Dawg said:
But the lack of success of the 360 (sans UK) in Europe, despite having a headstart made it pretty obvious that PS3 would close the gap very soon - regardless of third party games. Just like it won't close the gap in the US anytime soon (if ever) - regardless of whether the plethora of games will be released on the PS3 as well.

Kurosaki was talking about important third party exclusives though - even games aimed at the japanese market like DW have seen a release on 360. That may or may not change in the future but as long as exclusive development doesn't bring a lot of benefits (like better gfx) it could still be more effective to just port your game, even if it sells "only" 50k copies more.

I think you forget the fact that developing a multiplatform game costs more then a single platform game and i am not sure if 50.000 sold copy's bring the money back which they spent for developing the game for the platform. For Japan it will probably just wont work because 50.000 is pretty high for a xbox game since DMC 4 just sold 30.000 (i know it is from the first day but i dont think they will sell so much more. 60.000??)

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
:p I'm just a little surprised that it took little time and effort to see it happening. I thought PS3 wouldn't be that 'sweet' for the mass market, at least not that much sweeter than 360.

(I'll blame GAF. They blurred my perception with their pricing, gaming, hdtv, blu-ray, skus issues. Somehow :D)
The launch was succesfull, then the system was heavely promoted with bundles (starter pack, free movies etc), and then the price got reduced a whopping 200 euros. So it sure took some effort.

vilmer_

Cool Hand Luke said:
Microsoft had everything going for them, but messed up with the quality on the console. Without RLOD, maybe the 360 would've been at least 100 euros cheaper by now, and things would've looked a lot different.

Well, you can't rush something out and expect it to work flawlessly without proper testing. It was either that, or wait and release along with the PS3 and I think we all know how that would've worked out.

Loudninja

Dutch charts
1 - nieuw - 1 BURNOUT/PARADISE (PS3) ELECTRONIC ARTS
2 - 1 - 8 MARIO & SONIC OLYMPIC GAMES (Wii) SEGA
3 - 1 - nieuw BURNOUT/PARADISE (Xbox 360) ELECTRONIC ARTS
4 - 2 - 10 SUPER MARIO GALAXY (Wii) NINTENDO
5 - 3 - 10 CALL OF DUTY 4/MODERN WARFARE (PS3) ACTIVISION
6 - 4 - 11 CALL OF DUTY 4/MODERN WARFARE (PC) ACTIVISION
7 - 7 - 11 ASSASSIN'S CREED (PS3) UBISOFT
8 - 5 - 11 CALL OF DUTY 4/MODERN WARFARE (Xbox 360) ACTIVISION
9 - nieuw - 1GUITAR HERO 3/LEGENDS OF ROCK (Wii) ACTIVISION
10 - 9 - 13 MARIO PARTY 8 (Wii)

http://www.dutchcharts.nl/game_charts.asp

frankie_baby said:
acording to the charttrack blurb its been bundled though i aint seen wiis anywhere so cant comment

Not that I've seen.

Anyway, interesting to see Wii Play bounce back to the top of the charts. It's anecdotal of course, but the shops in my area all seemed to have a restock this past week, all of which vanished in a day or so. To see the title jump back to the top spot in the charts following this just suggests that - like SMG or Mario & Sonic - its performance is only limited by supply.

The reappearance of games like Sonic or Zelda could also perhaps be down to shortages - I've noticed shops start filling their shelves with older titles when titles like SMG or M&S vanish - the entire top 5 in my local Woolies was made of year-old games for a couple of weeks straight recently.

New thread is out, I'm a bit late - hope no one minds :p.

Cool Hand Luke said:
RROD is an issue, but MS dropped the price of the 360 100 € during the PS3 launch here in Germany and it pretty much didn't achieve anything.

carlosp said:
I think you forget the fact that developing a multiplatform game costs more then a single platform game and i am not sure if 50.000 sold copy's bring the money back which they spent for developing the game for the platform. For Japan it will probably just wont work because 50.000 is pretty high for a xbox game since DMC 4 just sold 30.000 (i know it is from the first day but i dont think they will sell so much more. 60.000??)
That's why I said "could be" - you otoh say it like it's fact, in the case of DMC I think it's much easier and cheaper to port to 360, since it's developed on the PC iirc. Anyways this is all just guesswork and as long as the games see a 360 release we can be quite sure that publishers/dev see a benefit in that. Otherwise they'd stop doing it.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

So a 200 € price drop in less than a year is little effort now? Wow! To imagine what a big effort would be...

And PS3 isn't mass market compatible just because it beat 360 in Europe - that's not an achievement. Like I said before it was expected because of the lackluster performance of the 360.

Top Bottom