• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 40, 2012

Have you stumbled into this PAL charts thread by accident? Are there other charts that you'd rather discuss?

The performance of the 3DS in the UK is worth looking at because thus far it's been piss-poor outside of 1st party titles. Even then, only the Mario stuff seems to have any legs. Sonic Generations is doing OK as I understand it though, do we have any LTD for that?

The whole UK market is in the shitter, its hardly a good example for anything.

Its like pointing to 360 sales in Japan to show how its performing overall.

Also, having Mario games charts is better than having no games charting for the Vita, this week being an exception to its usual performance. Nothing to be raving about.

Angry Birds up 5 places. Must be word-of-mouth as people hear about a hidden gem amongst the AAAAAA trash.

Vita going from strength to strength must be making the Mario Machine nervous.
Haha, strength to strength, did you missed the fact that Vita's top selling game is still losing out to the 3DS'? Or how bout the fact that the Vita is doing shitty everywhere, not just in the UK?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Jesus, you're annoying.

I think people declaring flop of things just from UK charts is much more annoying than my corrections, actually :p

@Hargenx: Err, it's been like this in all Europe for the last years. FIFA is the default soccer game now, PES has really lost the most of its attraction.

SmokyDave

Haha, strength to strength, did you missed the fact that Vita's top selling game is still losing out to the 3DS'? Or how bout the fact that the Vita is doing shitty everywhere, not just in the UK?

Last week: 1 title. This week: 3 titles. Next week: 9 titles. The pattern is clear.

Enjoy your 3DS while you can. NSMB3 will be a Vita exclusive, I'm calling it.

Mpl90

Have to agree, does this guy ever stop defending Nintendo and their products smh

Because for so many weeks I've just talked about how well 3DS was doing in UK...no, wait, I was the first one saying it was doing bad, actually.

Mpl90

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

HOW can a turd like RE6 be so high? SMH

It was damn obvious it would have debuted highly. It's the next main chapter in the RE series, after all. What's important to see is "How will it sell after the launch?", given the critical reception.

You trying to say in the rest of the world the things are totaly different? I'm not that sure.

Again, SM3DL sells more copies in France than UK while the UK is a bigger market.

The lack of handheld gaming popularity is a characteristic of the UK market. What Iwata said about this was interesting:

Although there are six titles for the Nintendo platforms, the two “Mario” titles for the Nintendo 3DS have the smallest presence in the world. We need to promptly improve this situation.
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/120427/02.html

This is the annual software top 20 chart for the U.K. At the nine-month point last year, there were no Nintendo DS titles included in the chart and only six titles for Nintendo platforms could be found, which is the smallest number among all the markets I have introduced today. However, the annual chart exhibits a couple of Nintendo DS titles and the total number of titles for Nintendo platforms has risen to ten.
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/110128/04.html

DrWong

The US handheld market is actually alright; the issue is that the DS is selling as much as the 3DS each month.
And also that the 3DS price ist sill higher. Once 3DS will drop to 130euros/$ it should gain more traction. Nintendo has still room to react, from pricing & software pov.

Jesus, you're annoying.
Mmm...

I think people declaring flop of things just from UK charts is much more annoying than my corrections, actually :p
This.

Again, SM3DL sells more copies in France than UK while the UK is a bigger market.

The lack of handheld gaming popularity is a characteristic of the UK market. Iwata was interested in this:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/120427/02.html

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/110128/04.html
Laughs.

Nintendo just needs to wait for the new generation to kick in, alot of people are still stuck on this generation, and are most likely waiting for all the players to come out before investing in something. A rejuvenated industry will pull everything up. The hardware price its fine, they just need more software.

Look how everyone was so happy that the Vita is $250, now with such lack luster software its only gaining criticism. Perception is everything and software is the most likely one to change that.

test_account

XP-39C²
The US handheld market is actually alright; the issue is that the DS is selling as much as the 3DS each month.
Out of curiousity, alright compared to what? The Vita is doing ~50k a months and 3DS recently got outsold by the Xbox 360 despite launching New Super Mario Bros 2 and 3DSXL.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Out of curiousity, alright compared to what? The Vita is doing ~50k a months and 3DS recently got outsold by the Xbox 360 despite launching New Super Mario Bros 2 and 3DSXL.
Those figures are for the U.S. market?

Too high on PSV (more like 30-40K/month) and the 3DS XL did 78K in a single week. Combined 3DS sales for September could surpass Xbox 360 (albeit not by much).

test_account

XP-39C²
Those figures are for the U.S. market?

Too high on PSV (more like 30-40K/month) and the 3DS XL did 78K in a single week. Combined 3DS sales for September could surpass Xbox 360 (albeit not by much).
Yep, US market. Wasnt sure about Vita, but knew it was around 50k. The last NPD thread said the 3DS is likely closer to 170k.

My God, it's so hard to pass a joke, uh?
When you ask a question straight forward in written form, then it can be hard to know if it is a joke or not, yep :) Since Inazuma Eleven Strikers didnt chart in the UK Top 40, it could be easy to miss if the game was released in the UK, so i saw it as a normal question.

Because for so many weeks I've just talked about how well 3DS was doing in UK...no, wait, I was the first one saying it was doing bad, actually.

It's funny, because everyone knows your schtick.

It's doing alright against its direct competition (Vita), but the marketshare Nintendo has lost to iOS devices has got to be a huge concern to them, as should be the upcoming releases of the new iPod Touch and iPad Mini.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Yep, US market. Wasnt sure about Vita, but knew it was around 50k. The last NPD thread said the 3DS is likely closer to 170k.
Yes, but that was 100K 3DS and 78K 3DS XL, the latter only available during the last week of sales in the August period.

test_account

XP-39C²
It's doing alright against its direct competition (Vita), but the marketshare Nintendo has lost to iOS devices has got to be a huge concern to them, as should be the upcoming releases of the new iPod Touch and iPad Mini.
Yeah, it seems like that. Hopefully there is enough market for a dedicated handheld market, so there is still money to be made there.

Yes, but that was 100K 3DS and 78K 3DS XL, the latter only available during the last week of sales in the August period.
Oops, sorry, i didnt see that you was talking about September :) I think that the 3DS could be the best selling system in September in the US, i agree.

RE6's 1st week got outsold by FIFA? Kinda surprised by that, maybe the shitty reviews scared people away. I'm waiting to pick it up for dirt cheap on Black Friday.

UK market still not looking too healthy overall, especially handhelds.

RE6's 1st week got outsold by FIFA? Kinda surprised by that, maybe the shitty reviews scared people away. I'm waiting to pick it up for dirt cheap on Black Friday.
EA has been promoted FIFA like crazy in Europe and Latinamerica, some of my friends in Mexico said that almost every game store there has an entire section devoted to the game, plus unlike RE 6 there're tv ads.

Fixed. Even if I think it's improved a lot compared to the pre-XL months, looking at how NSMB2 is still pretty high despite the big number of releases ( or better, the big number of SKUs) of the last weeks in UK.

Um how can you tell how the 3DS is doing based on NSMB, which is still outside the top 10 anyway. It's not at all unusual for Nintendo games to stay in the chart for very long periods, so this is in no way unique or proof of an XL bump. And why would NSMB specifically be the title to gauge it by, what about other games released recently, like KH3D and Theatrhythm?

EA has been promoted FIFA like crazy in Europe and Latinamerica, some of my friends in Mexico said that almost every game store there has an entire section devoted to the game, plus unlike RE 6 there're tv ads.

No TV ads for RE6 in UK? Wow, i thought Capcom would be going all out for the game's marketing.

Not surprised FIFA is getting advertised a lot, even here in the US whenever i watch Fox Soccer Chanel, they're running a FIFA ad. The one with Snoop Lion.

I realise this is probably an exageration but both handhelds are doing pretty shit. Nintendo should definitely be worried about the 3DS performance in western territories but not because of how the vita is doing (which is even worse).

Iwata admitted last year that the 3DS is not succeeding as much in PAL and USA regions as much as it is in Japan.

I'm pretty sure they are very concerned.

There are tons of RE6 TV ads in the UK... they ran some back in February or whenever the game was announced, as well.

Since 2 people said this now, i'm more likely to believe it. Everything about RE6's approach just screams summer blockbuster to me, so i'd expect them to have the advertising to match.

DrWong

Yeah, it seems like that. Hopefully there is enough market for a dedicated handheld market, so there is still money to be made there.
I don't think it's so bad for Nintendo handheld market share (to make money) in US even if they never manages to top DS results. When we look at the trend for this past year, they were selling as many DS as 3DS (latest complete NPD datas were for June with 305K Nintendo handhelds sold: 155K 3DS / 150K DS).

dabra

Ireland:
Week 40, 2012 - Entertainment Software (All Prices)

01 (01) Fifa 13 (Electronic Arts)
02 (__) Resident Evil 6 (Capcom)
03 (02) Borderlands 2 (Take 2)
04 (08) Gran Turismo 5 Academy Edition (Sony Computer Ent.)
05 (05) New Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo)
06 (__) Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception Goty (Sony Computer Ent.)
07 (__) Just Dance 4 (Ubisoft)
08 (__) Nba 2k13 (Take 2)
09 (03) Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 (Konami)
10 (16) Lego Star Wars Iii: The Clone Wars (Lucasarts)
11 (04) F1 2012 (Codemasters)
12 (09) Lego Batman 2: Dc Super Heroes (Warner Bros. Interactive)
13 (__) Rocksmith (Ubisoft)
14 (06) Batman: Arkham City (Warner Bros. Interactive)
15 (11) Sleeping Dogs (Square Enix Europe)
16 (__) Moshi Monsters: Moshling Zoo (Mind Candy)
17 (17) Sonic Generations (Sega)
18 (14) Lego Batman: The Videogame (Warner Bros. Interactive)
19 (__) Angry Birds Trilogy (Activision Blizzard)
20 (10) Assassin's Creed: Revelations (Ubisoft)

Spain:
September 2012 - Individual Formats (Units)

01 (__) [PS3] Fifa 13 (Electronic Arts)
02 (__) [PS3] Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 (Konami)
03 (__) [360] Fifa 13 (Electronic Arts)
04 (__) [PC] World Of Warcraft: Mists Of Pandaria (Activision Blizzard)
05 (__) [PS3] F1 2012 (Codemasters)
06 (__) [360] Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 (Konami)
07 (02) [PC] Guild Wars 2 (NCsoft)
08 (01) [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo)
09 (__) [PS3] Fifa 13 Edicion Real Madrid CF (Electronic Arts)
10 (__) [PS3] Fifa 13 Edicion Leo Messi (Electronic Arts)

Hardware price for the 3DS is too high. Software prices for the 3DS is too high. Combine the terrible state of the handheld market with the terrible UK market and you get the so called "mario machine" and Vita which wishes it was the "mario machine". Blah blah sticks and buttons but people need to finally admit that with the option to play much cheaper games elsewhere the concept of handheld gaming at the pricepoints offered is not attractive to many people

Mpl90

Ireland:
Week 40, 2012 - Entertainment Software (All Prices)

01 (01) Fifa 13 (Electronic Arts)
02 (__) Resident Evil 6 (Capcom)
03 (02) Borderlands 2 (Take 2)
04 (08) Gran Turismo 5 Academy Edition (Sony Computer Ent.)
05 (05) New Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo)
06 (__) Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception Goty (Sony Computer Ent.)
07 (__) Just Dance 4 (Ubisoft)
08 (__) Nba 2k13 (Take 2)
09 (03) Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 (Konami)
10 (16) Lego Star Wars Iii: The Clone Wars (Lucasarts)
11 (04) F1 2012 (Codemasters)
12 (09) Lego Batman 2: Dc Super Heroes (Warner Bros. Interactive)
13 (__) Rocksmith (Ubisoft)
14 (06) Batman: Arkham City (Warner Bros. Interactive)
15 (11) Sleeping Dogs (Square Enix Europe)
16 (__) Moshi Monsters: Moshling Zoo (Mind Candy)
17 (17) Sonic Generations (Sega)
18 (14) Lego Batman: The Videogame (Warner Bros. Interactive)
19 (__) Angry Birds Trilogy (Activision Blizzard)
20 (10) Assassin's Creed: Revelations (Ubisoft)

Spain:
September 2012 - Individual Formats (Units)

01 (__) [PS3] Fifa 13 (Electronic Arts)
02 (__) [PS3] Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 (Konami)
03 (__) [360] Fifa 13 (Electronic Arts)
04 (__) [PC] World Of Warcraft: Mists Of Pandaria (Activision Blizzard)
05 (__) [PS3] F1 2012 (Codemasters)
06 (__) [360] Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 (Konami)
07 (02) [PC] Guild Wars 2 (NCsoft)
08 (01) [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo)
09 (__) [PS3] Fifa 13 Edicion Real Madrid CF (Electronic Arts)
10 (__) [PS3] Fifa 13 Edicion Leo Messi (Electronic Arts)

And FIFA conquered Spain too. Konami lost basically everything they conquered during the PS2 gen.

About the Irish Chart, Angry Birds Trilogy goes up probably due to the 3DS version going up from 10th to 6th in the specific Chart, while the other two SKUs are absent from the respective top 20s for the second consecutive week.

And FIFA conquered Spain too. Konami lost basically everything they conquered during the PS2 gen.

They basically have to try again next gen at this stage. Their marketing is poor but the game has fallen wayy behind Fifa. In the past I knew people who argued about which was better and they could critique the benefits of both, now its just 'Fifa'. EA Sports played a blinder.

Santiako

Yep, my friends were with PES since the Playstation 1 games, now they all have switched to FIFA due to the quality gap between them.

Mpl90

I don't know what they should do. They'd need not only an injection of brand new vitality in the brand itself ( new logo, new menus, special game modes) but they need a very big advertising. FIFA beats the crap out of PES now also due to the fact FIFA is everywhere, while PES isn't. But that costs a lot of money...unless they decide to take a very risky move and make the game exclusive to one specific platform / hardware house. It'd be publicised just for the fact it's exclusive. PES's numbers right now are so low compared to the glorious past that making it exclusive could even be a good thing. And in the case, Sony should give its support to Konami with no regrets.

Top Bottom